[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Insider Report - 1/4
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/4/2002  9:32 AM
Wallace to the Knicks? Could be costly . . .

Thursday, Insider chronicled the Blazers' recent effort to gauge trade interest in Rasheed Wallace. That effort led to at least one semi-serious suitor -- the Knicks.

Spree told the N.Y. Post Thursday that he thinks that getting Wallace would be a great move. "Of course he can help us. Personally, I think he's a great player. I have no idea [why he got his rep]." The irony? To get a deal done the Knicks would likely have to give up Latrell Sprewell.

While the Post says a possible Allan Houston and Marcus Camby package might be able to get a deal done, that move would only further congest the Blazers' already crammed backcourt and still leave the Knicks with only one legit big man.

Peter Vecsey does his best to get into the debate, coming up with every derogatory remark in his vast aresenal to pick apart Rasheed.

"I have nothing but disdain for his tattoos and his white spot on his head. I am sick of his constant crying to the officials. 'Watch the tape when you go home' he scolded on one occasion Wednesday night and 'Let's watch the replay' on another occasion when the guy Wallace supposedly didn't foul went to the line. Wallace affronts my senses and debilates my dimensions."

The Blazers, meanwhile, seem in denial about the whole problem. Ruben Patterson joined Scottie Pippen in criticizing the team's chemistry, "Just look at the guys on this team," Patterson told the Oregonian. "Me, Derek (Anderson), Bonzi (Wells), Shawn (Kemp) . . . it doesn't get any easier to see than that. Everybody wants to play; everybody can play."

But GM Bob Whitsitt and assistant coach Herb Brown disagreed. Whitsitt said the team was still a work in progress. Brown called the chemistry on the team "terrific."

"I think the chemistry thing, or the lack of chemistry, is really overdone," Brown said Thursday. "The only thing we are trying to do is assimilate a couple of new guys into the situation, and that takes a little time. But the chemistry for the most part is terrific."
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
1/4/2002  9:43 AM
Yeah, for us to get Rasheed would mean parting with Spree. The funny thing though is that Houston would actually be a good fit with the Blazers. I do think though we should keep Camby as it's his combination with Rasheed that sounds so appealing.

If this rumor is for real we might want to involve Golden State and get us or them Marc Jackson.
prowler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #135
USA
1/4/2002  3:09 PM
Wazzup, do agree with you once again. I kind of like the idea of Spree, Rasheed, and Marcus in a triangle. Then all we would need is a young point guard to succeed Jackson and a legit small forward. That would also free up some minutes at the two for non other that Lovar Postell. I guess it would be hard enough to get that deal done but i would take M Jackson from GS also while we are at it. Then we would be able to make some noise.
knicker for life
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
1/4/2002  3:34 PM
Marc? I'm doubting more and more if we should do that..

With two weeks left until the Warriors can trade center Marc Jackson, ESPN Insider did some digging around to see what the Warriors are asking for in return for the coveted big man.

Want a 27-year-old, 6-foot-10, 270-pound center who has started a total of 35 games in his NBA career? Several league sources told Insider that the Warriors are asking for a player in the last year of his contract (to free up cap room this summer), a first-round draft pick (at least in the lottery), and $3 million in cash. However, the asking price isn't written in stone. As more teams become interested in landing Jackson, the price could go up.

Jackson is set to make $3,250,000 this season. That means a team like Indiana, which could offer Travis Best (in the last year of his deal), would still have to come up with a lottery pick. A team like the Knicks, who currently don't have a player who would work salary-wise to make that happen, would have to figure out a three-way deal to get Jackson.

Because they own a trade exception, the Magic could offer Pat Garrity and a first-round pick for Jackson. The Suns could send John Wallace or Rodney Rogers and a first-round pick for Jackson. Miami has a big enough trade exception that it wouldn't even have to send a player to Golden State to get the deal done. Memphis could send along Grant Long, but it's likely that Detroit will have its first-round pick this year.

The other key factor that will likely affect any trade is that Jackson can veto any trade the Warriors put together for one year. That means in the end, it might be Jackson, not the Warriors, who picks the ultimate lottery winner.

Why all of the rabid interest for a guy who was struggling in Europe just a little over a season ago? Insider talked to an advance scout who broke Jackson down.

"He's strong, is a pretty solid rebounder and has a real nice game facing the basket. He's a solid free-throw shooter, can be offensive minded and could average 18 and 10 on the right team. He's a very dedicated guy, he plays hard and won't be a problem in the locker room. He's not much of a banger, shot blocker or athlete which means he isn't going to be your prototypical NBA center. He'd be much better playing power forward in the NBA, but because of his limited success at the position last year when Adonal Foyle and Erick Dampier both went down with injuries, he has an upside that most NBA big men don't."
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
1/4/2002  3:35 PM
wacky wallace..

oops, same as the insider stuff above about Rasheed

(thanks to dldixon at the nyt forum for the insider stuff, in this case just for the Marc angle)

[Edited by - knicksbabyyeah on 01/04/2002 15:39:21]
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
1/4/2002  3:37 PM
And finally me trying to combine these two in a three way trade..

or maybe I shouldn't hit the bong that often

Golden State trades: Bob Sura to New York, Larry Hughes to New York, Marc Jackson to Portland TOTAL: $10,506,969

New York trades: Howard Eisley to Golden State, Allan Houston to Portland, Larry Robinson to Golden State, Kurt Thomas to Portland TOTAL: $22,535,475

Portland trades: Erick Barkley to Golden State, Rasheed Wallace to New York, Bonzi Wells to Golden State TOTAL: $17,193,840

TRADECHECKER SWALLOWED IT

Portland had to use $3,250,000 of their $4,418,750 trade exception in order for this trade to go through. Portland has $1,168,750 left of their previous trade exception to use in another trade.

Golden State would also receive a trade exception of $2,341,029 with this trade. This would have to be used within one calendar year from the date of this trade.

Trade ID 447059
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/4/2002  5:39 PM
The deal that makes the most sense right now is Sprewell and Thomas for Wallace straight up, but i think we could do better. Including Golden State and Marc Jackson would be a great idea because we could probably get Houston and Jackson to Portland for Wallace, get Wallace to new york without getting rid of Sprewell or Camby, and get a solid player like Thomas to Golden State for Jackson. It makes sense but the real test is getting it done.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
1/4/2002  11:24 PM
We need just one, either Rasheed or Jackson. I personally think if we could get Wallace for Houston and Thomas, maybe get a first rounder from Portland (You never know with Whitsitt), I think that would work out fairly well, Postell would get to play, Camby could move to the weakside where he could roam around and block more shots, Chaney would have to do what Cheeks is doing and came Wallace down, he hasn't been ejected yet this year. I hope Layden, knowing his job might be on the line, does something.
#Knickstaps
LarrythaLeo
Member: #71
USA
1/5/2002  12:10 AM
I worked out a trade on realgm and for Latrel Sprewell and Kurt Thomas we actually could get back Rasheed Wallace and Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje. We also would get back like a million dallar trade exception in the deal. I overlooked somewhere online that the bulls wouldn't mind trading Ron Artest for a backup point guard. Im gonna try to see if I can work out a deal there as well.
LarrythaLeo
Member: #71
USA
1/5/2002  12:28 AM
Posted by LarrythaLeo:

I worked out a trade on realgm and for Latrel Sprewell and Kurt Thomas we actually could get back Rasheed Wallace and Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje. We also would get back like a million dallar trade exception in the deal. I overlooked somewhere online that the bulls wouldn't mind trading Ron Artest for a backup point guard. Im gonna try to see if I can work out a deal there as well.
For Howard Eisley and Clarence Weatherspoon we could get back Ron Artest and Charles Oakley. Imagine our Knicks with a balance of both inside and outside players.

Starting Lineup
C Marcus Camby
PF Rasheed Wallace
SF Ron Artest / Shandan Anderson
SG Allan Houston
PG Mark Jackson

Bench
PF Othella Harrington
SF Ron Artest / Shandan Anderson
PG Charlie Ward
SG Lavar Postel
C Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje

Shandan probably would get the nod early because he knows the system. Rasheed would be getting the ball so much down low he would have no energy to speak. And we might see not only Allan Houston regain his game but so might Charlie Ward whose game is basically from outside the three point stripe because of the presence of "sheed".
Knixkik
USA
1/5/2002  9:54 AM
Houston or Sprewell and Thomas for Wallace straight up works capwise because Portland has a few trade exceptions. Thats good because that means both teams have more to work with and there can be more of a gap between salary totals. I really want to see if we could work golden state and Marc Jackson into the deal because while i'm not sure if Portland would except Houston and Thomas for Wallace, i'm sure they would take Houston and Jackson for him. In this case we wouldn't be giving up a lot and we would be that much better if we could have Sprewell, Wallace, and Camby on the same team.
BigSm00th
USA
1/5/2002  1:30 PM
I would rather trade Houston obviously, because Spree is more consistent and I feel we'd have a better chance w/ him. Also, I bet Portland would want someone who doesn't really talk that much or cause problems like Houston as opposed to Sprewell who is questioning management all day. I like that Artest trade because you have three good defenders in Artest, Ward, and Anderson which could help Spree focus a little more on offense. Also, with only two point guards that means we could pick one up in the draft, which wouldn't be a bad idea since Jackson is on his way out. Krause like's second rounders so if we had to throw one in to do that trade I would do it.
#Knickstaps
Knixkik
USA
1/5/2002  3:40 PM
Here's the latest rumor from the ESPN Knicks board that sounds pretty reasonable.

Knicks have offered Othella Harrington plus Larry Robinson (to make the deal work under CBA) plus $3mil in cash to the Golden State Warriors for center Marc Jackson. ESPN reports that the Warriors are demanding a first rounder as well. Knicks have balked at the first rounder and talks are currently stalled.

Thoughts?
Knixkik
USA
1/5/2002  3:48 PM
From BskBALL.com

01/05- WILL FOYLE JOIN JACKSON?- Rumor has it that both Marc Jackson and Adonal Foyle are going to be packaged together to yield an impact player. Those teams interested in Jackson are being told Foyle is part of the deal. Foyle who has been in the doghouse recently appears to be on the block, along with Marc Jackson who was retained solely because Golden Stated wanted to get something from him in return. Several teams have surfaced with interest in Jackson including Orlando, New York, and Indiana. The Knicks have been linked to Foyle for almost 2 seasons, and with his name surfacing as an exiting player, a Knicks deal seems like its in the making. Whether both players end up on the same team could be the wrinkle, that makes the deal. Jackson has been vocal about counting the days to his exit (Jan15th is the 1st day he can be traded). Jackson and Foyle have had almost no role in Golden State this year, despite both being serviceable big men- Jackson more so than Foyle-. The Warriors refused to comment on trade speculation, but sources close to the team suggest a deal could come quickly for the Warriors.

I can't really see us getting both of them because we only need one and there are really no impact players the Knicks would really trade for the two of them. I expect if they are both traded to be traded in two separate deals, but for now i think we need to focus on getting Jackson because he would improve the team a lot.
prowler
Member: #135
USA
1/5/2002  3:50 PM
Finally somebody besides me is tryin to get more minutes for Postell. Good lookin' out Big Smooth. I'm with you man I would rather part ways with Houston before Spree besides he is a better fit for Portland anyway because they have lots of slashers on their team already and obviously it is not working. Ronnie Artest is an interesting proposition too i like his heart did you see his interview on espn the kid is fearless typical NY swagger i like that. We should definitely take a serious look at him being home in NYC could only be good for him and for us.
knicker for life
BigSm00th
USA
1/6/2002  12:18 AM
Yeah, definitley two key SJU alum working @ MSG, I like the sound of that. Only problem would be if they do the Wallace/Artest trades, they'd have to sign a big man ala Olden Polynice for help up front, but I wouldn't mind that if our forwards went from Camby, Thomas, Weatherspoon, Harrington to Camby, Wallace, Polynice and Harrington. I really don't think Marc Jackson will help us. He had a few good months, but let's face it, he was beat out by Adonal Foyle and Erick Dampier, I wouldn't give up Harrington, who I think is our only consistent bench player. I personally think Jackson and Foyle are overrated and would rather have us go after Artest or a Portland trade first before going after Jackson and their absolutely ridiculous asking price for an unproved player. The guy wasn't drafted, played in Europe for a few years, and had 3 good months! A first rounder plus all that other stuff really is a risk.
#Knickstaps
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
1/6/2002  7:39 AM
I agree with you there to a degree, Marc might have a very good player in him but if the price for him is too high we have to fugeddaboutit. No way should we waste a draft pick on him, we need our current draft picks for at least the next two drafts. We should even try to get more picks.
Insider Report - 1/4

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy