[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

this is the coach I hoped we were getting
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/6/2017  9:39 AM
Last year had too many personalities to manage. It wasnt a head coaching gig, it was like a political position. Between players with agendas and Phil's stupidity I give JH credit for surviving the season.

This year he's got a deep group with a lot of fresh legs. Hes not running a system. He's running basic concept plays based on his team's strengths. Most of all he gets be a coach and push guys. People have often put defense or lack of it on the coaches we have had. Its just not that easy. You need to have players willing to defend all the time, and you need to the ability to bench or sit guys when their effort isn’t at the high level you expect. With past teams that was not an option, this year it is and the dividends are easy to see.

So far I have seen Sessions, Kanter, THj, Lance and Beas all yanked for poor execution on defense. Lance and Sessions have logged DNPs. To be fair Lance didn’t lose his minutes to McD because of defense, rather he wasn’t hitting any shots. Point is the same, if you are struggling there is a guy behind you willing to give a 100% and he's gonna get a shot. I think that is a positive with a young team.

Jeff is really doing a good job. He's recognized KP's emergence and is adding more and more things to get him easy looks. They run this play where KP camps high on the 3pt line straight on. PG feeds it to Kanter in the post. When that happens the SG (Timmy) puts a body on KP's defender. KP cuts to the basket. Defense now has to decide if they switch and have the guard chase the cutting KP or help. Meanwhile Kanter can either go into one of his bulldozer moves or hit the slashing KP for an easy 2. He passed and this was the play we saw KP dunking on the pass from Kanter.

Lance got a couple DNPs, then gets extended burn and is part of a great defensive turnaround. Good call Jeff. Anyone notice we had 2 bigs with Lance at the 3, McD at the 2 and Frank at the 1? BIG. It worked. He's making things happen and the player's effort has been fantastic.

Of course KP is leading on both ends by example and that empowers a coach.

This team looks good and this style looks sustainable so long as KP is healthy. That remains to be seen. He's no Embiid but he' shown he can break down some. So far he looks amazing. 32 minutes is key.

After 0-3 people were talking #1 pick. Now they have won 5 of 6 and have several quality wins. How good is this team?

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
11/6/2017  10:04 AM
I agree. Jeff was in a tough spot last year and early this year it looked bad but the difference is the PLAYERS gave a damn and they accepted responsibility for not doing what they were coached to do. In other words they BOUGHT IN.

In terms of not running a system. I Read a lot of crap about Jeff and Rambis. The truth is they weren’t the problem. Jeff took the Media pressure off Rambis by stating he wasn’t the only voice on D! Thing is Rambis is STILL likely the Main guy on D. Rambis is the only coach who won Titles as a Defensive Assistant.

Jeff and Rambis also worked together on this offense which is a further evolution of the Hybrid Offense Jeff created last year. It’s still VERY Triangular in terms of its concepts. The spacing. Dribble Handoffs and Cuts. More about Ball and Player Movement than individual play. Jeff and Rambis know it’s still got the principles of Triangle but the stigma is gone.

Jeff is finally getting a feel for this roster and getting better with his subs and lineups. He has these players believing and trusting each other and the system. Jeff and his staff were able to make faster adjustments in game.

There have been those who thought Jeff and his staff needed to be fired along with Phil. Well now maybe they can see why many of us still believed in Jeff.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
11/6/2017  11:08 AM
#1 thing... Jeff is the boss. Minutes are being dished based on merit, not contracts and league status or entitlement. Painfully evident how draining some of these guys were last year. I am just happy to be seeing what I am seeing. Jeff is cool and is pushing the right buttons.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/6/2017  11:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/6/2017  11:33 AM
Professional.... I was down on him but through his adjustments, this team is coming together. Every time we have a fallen so far, Horny was able to make the correct change. Incredible job. Gotta give him his props especially after ****ting on him after the first 3 games. Respect due
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
11/6/2017  11:36 AM
“Phil’s stupidity” don’t agree with it Phil had a plan and the Knicks and Jeff are better for it. Phil is the reason for KP and Ntlikina and basically majority of the roster. The reason Melo is on another team. The reason why Jeff looks like a coach who knows what he is doing. I wish people would stop shyting on Phil. His vision is coming to fruition.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/6/2017  11:43 AM
Vmart wrote:“Phil’s stupidity” don’t agree with it Phil had a plan and the Knicks and Jeff are better for it. Phil is the reason for KP and Ntlikina and basically majority of the roster. The reason Melo is on another team. The reason why Jeff looks like a coach who knows what he is doing. I wish people would stop shyting on Phil. His vision is coming to fruition.

Truth... This team is Phil's vision. Phil was horrible, but through his tenure we gave birth to what's happening now. It's very important to recognize this. I hope Phil can stand with us if we can build this thing to a championship.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

11/6/2017  2:04 PM
EnySpree wrote:
Vmart wrote:“Phil’s stupidity” don’t agree with it Phil had a plan and the Knicks and Jeff are better for it. Phil is the reason for KP and Ntlikina and basically majority of the roster. The reason Melo is on another team. The reason why Jeff looks like a coach who knows what he is doing. I wish people would stop shyting on Phil. His vision is coming to fruition.

Truth... This team is Phil's vision. Phil was horrible, but through his tenure we gave birth to what's happening now. It's very important to recognize this. I hope Phil can stand with us if we can build this thing to a championship.

Last year at the start of the season, the team was doing much of what you're seeing them do now. With more 1 on 1 less defense. Then KP gets hurt and Rose is in/out and it never works out. The offense was doing ok and the team was at one point 16-13 and third in the East I think. What happens is that last year's team had too many 1 on 1 players, no leader and no point guard.

I think the main difference is this year team is free of the cancer that was DRose. Jack makes sure everyone gets the ball. KP is a leader and has the players playing hard and together, something Melo was not able to do. Melo was a great scorer, but not really a leader or someone that would play outstanding defense to get the team going on that end.

Hornachek still has the same flaws. He's still running some Triangle and he's still working with an associate head coach in Rambis who is Phil's right hand man. Much of what we are doing now is the same. The difference is Rose/Melo are out. Phil's mouth is also no longer relevant either to stir up trouble.

this is the coach I hoped we were getting

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy