[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Trey Burke
Author Thread
reub
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6227

11/4/2017  3:44 PM
Trey Burke is playing for the Knicks later tonight. The Westchester Knicks. He was very highly touted when drafted and is still quite young. I'm interested to see what he brings and if he can help the varsity team.
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/4/2017  4:07 PM
he backed out of an nba contract with (OKC?) and then signed with the Knicks. He had to knw he was going to end up in Westchester. The Knicks had already chosen Jack over him after they both worked out for the Knicks. I agree that he is an intriguing prospect. He seems like he would have been a good two way contract candidate.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
reub

11/4/2017  4:12 PM
CrushAlot wrote:he backed out of an nba contract with (OKC?) and then signed with the Knicks. He had to knw he was going to end up in Westchester. The Knicks had already chosen Jack over him after they both worked out for the Knicks. I agree that he is an intriguing prospect. He seems like he would have been a good two way contract candidate.

I wonder if he has a deal with Perry worked out where he knows he'll be called up at some point? I'm hoping that he does well because we could sure use the guy that was all-world coming out of college.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/4/2017  4:14 PM
reub wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:he backed out of an nba contract with (OKC?) and then signed with the Knicks. He had to knw he was going to end up in Westchester. The Knicks had already chosen Jack over him after they both worked out for the Knicks. I agree that he is an intriguing prospect. He seems like he would have been a good two way contract candidate.

I wonder if he has a deal with Perry worked out where he knows he'll be called up at some point? I'm hoping that he does well because we could sure use the guy that was all-world coming out of college.
That would make sense. I think he would make more if he just gets an nba contract. He probably would lose the option to play in Europe or China if he signed a two way deal.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

11/4/2017  4:20 PM
reub wrote:

It’s not like he’d even have to be that good to be better then Baker. But we are all in on Baker for some reason so I’d guess he’s just there to showcase for all 30 NBA teams. It’s his last chance to show he can contribute in the NBA.

reub

11/4/2017  4:28 PM
Rookie wrote:
reub wrote:

It’s not like he’d even have to be that good to be better then Baker. But we are all in on Baker for some reason so I’d guess he’s just there to showcase for all 30 NBA teams. It’s his last chance to show he can contribute in the NBA.

I could see Burke replacing Sessions before Baker.
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

11/4/2017  7:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/4/2017  7:26 PM
reub wrote:Trey Burke is playing for the Knicks later tonight. The Westchester Knicks. He was very highly touted when drafted and is still quite young. I'm interested to see what he brings and if he can help the varsity team.

Yeah i'm actually recording it cause can't watch it live right now but i'm interested to see what he does as well even though i never take what any player does in the G-League as what they can do in the NBA cause i've seen way too many players play great in G-League only to not be able to make the transition over to the NBA since they're still playing against guys that will never be in the NBA. Still wanna see the kid play well cause if J.Jack does go down with injury then Burke could be the guy we look at to take his place depending on what happens with R.Sessions. When the season started everyone was saying J.Jack would be the guy that gets cut when Noah's suspension is over but now.......no way will he get cut with the way he's been playing and it could end up being Sessions instead.

reub

11/4/2017  8:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/4/2017  8:51 PM
Burke looks good so far. He really controls the game with his excellent dribble and distributes the ball beautifully. He's got about 15 points halfway through the 3rd quarter. XRM and Kornet also looking really good so far. XRM is dynamic out there scoring at will and sinking a bunch of threes. Kornet has about 20 with a nice mix of threes and baby hooks rolling to the rim. He's got about 5 blocks as I count them and is a pain on both ends of the court.

As I type this Burke is taking over the game. He penetrates at will and is a real leader out there. He doesn't belong in the G league.Too smart.

XRM with 21, 7 assists and 8 boards as the 3rd quarter draws to a close. He's playing like Wesrbrook lol.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/4/2017  10:28 PM
XRM played like that internationally.... I don't know what his problem is on the NBA floor
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

11/5/2017  5:46 AM
G league isn't a good enough measure for competition. It's good to develop players who have never been in the NBA or whom need to learn your offense/defense, if you have them in accordance with the system you run in the NBA.

For Burke, I think he needs to get his confidence and then try to find a role in the NBA. That's the real thing for him, he never showed he could be a starter, and then good teams tend to want veterans who are stable and reliable or their developing draft picks as a backup. Hard for him to find a job.

Even on the Knicks, with the way we are playing, where does he fit? We need Jack for his veteran smarts. And Franks is our development pick, as the backup. I don't see a spot for Trey, unless he can beat out Jack as the starter (which he should not).

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

11/5/2017  9:59 PM
reub wrote:Burke looks good so far. He really controls the game with his excellent dribble and distributes the ball beautifully. He's got about 15 points halfway through the 3rd quarter....

As I type this Burke is taking over the game. He penetrates at will and is a real leader out there. He doesn't belong in the G league.Too smart.

He's a "Quad A" player. Kind of like Kevin Plawecki with the Mets. Or what Homer Bush used to be with the Yankees. Too good for Triple A, but not quite good enough for the majors long term.

Burke is an NBA veteran with starting experience. He's older and more physically developed and trained against tougher competition than most of these G League guys. He should be outright DOMINATING at this level.

Case in point, Mario Elie was an outstanding role player on the Spurs, Rockets and Warriors. He was from the old Continental Basketball Association before Zeke destroyed it. He was a Don Nelson find and a real gem. He DOMINATED the CBA, but moving up the tier, he was only a pretty good role player in the NBA.

Burke needs to be able to create his own shot to be effective. He can...only against Quad A type competition. He's too slow and small to really be effective at the NBA level. He doesn't shoot well enough and doesn't burn fast enough to penetrate to be useful otherwise. He's a zero on defense. He's actually pretty lousy against real NBA competition in terms of running an offense.

He's got to be able to shoot the three at a clip far above the league average rate. That's his best chance as a useful rotation reserve in this league. It's a skill set proved to have the potential to grow with some real hard work, even by guys later in their careers. Defensively, he has to turn Patrick Beverly, be absolutely relentless and simply out work/ out condition every last person on the court.

He was available for a reason.

Honestly I hate to call any player a true waste of a roster spot, but he's a really a long term waste of a roster spot, even in the G League. He should practically be playing in Europe or Asia. Better for him, better for those leagues, better for guys with a chance to truly develop in the G League.

reub

11/6/2017  11:47 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
reub wrote:Burke looks good so far. He really controls the game with his excellent dribble and distributes the ball beautifully. He's got about 15 points halfway through the 3rd quarter....

He's a "Quad A" player. Kind of like Kevin Plawecki with the Mets. Or what Homer Bush used to be with the Yankees. Too good for Triple A, but not quite good enough for the majors long term.

Burke is an NBA veteran with starting experience. He's older and more physically developed and trained against tougher competition than most of these G League guys. He should be outright DOMINATING at this level.

Case in point, Mario Elie was an outstanding role player on the Spurs, Rockets and Warriors. He was from the old Continental Basketball Association before Zeke destroyed it. He was a Don Nelson find and a real gem. He DOMINATED the CBA, but moving up the tier, he was only a pretty good role player in the NBA.

Burke needs to be able to create his own shot to be effective. He can...only against Quad A type competition. He's too slow and small to really be effective at the NBA level. He doesn't shoot well enough and doesn't burn fast enough to penetrate to be useful otherwise. He's a zero on defense. He's actually pretty lousy against real NBA competition in terms of running an offense.

He's got to be able to shoot the three at a clip far above the league average rate. That's his best chance as a useful rotation reserve in this league. It's a skill set proved to have the potential to grow with some real hard work, even by guys later in their careers. Defensively, he has to turn Patrick Beverly, be absolutely relentless and simply out work/ out condition every last person on the court.

Honestly I hate to call any player a true waste of a roster spot, but he's a really a long term waste of a roster spot, even in the G League. He should practically be playing in Europe or Asia. Better for him, better for those leagues, better for guys with a chance to truly develop in the G League.

That's not the Burke that I saw this weekend at all. He's at least as good as Jack is right now and 10 years younger.
Btw, XRM is extremely promising looking from what I saw.

BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
11/6/2017  12:06 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

This is just so closed minded. How many games of his did you actually watch in Utah or Washington? You probably thought the same thing about Billups. Burke is 24 yrs old. He averaged close to 13 pts/ 6 assists his rookie yr. This is a no lose, win win situation. He was considered the top point guard coming out of college in his draft. In Hornacheks uptempo offense I can see Burke finding a niche. Same thing with McDermott. Sometimes with youth and finding the right situation can be the difference.

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
Finestrg
Member: #1069

11/6/2017  3:56 PM
BigRedDog wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

This is just so closed minded. How many games of his did you actually watch in Utah or Washington? You probably thought the same thing about Billups. Burke is 24 yrs old. He averaged close to 13 pts/ 6 assists his rookie yr. This is a no lose, win win situation. He was considered the top point guard coming out of college in his draft. In Hornacheks uptempo offense I can see Burke finding a niche. Same thing with McDermott. Sometimes with youth and finding the right situation can be the difference.

Completely agree. Sessions is the odd man out here, despite he having the guaranteed deal instead of Jack. Jack stays (he's earned it--the stark turnaround in the early going has very much to do with Jack taking over for Sessions in the starting lineup), Sessions should be waived (big deal, so we eat a couple of million--it'd be the right move), Frank continues to develop and Burke should be signed to a 2-way deal immediately if not sooner. That's how I'd do it. I still think Burke could be something close to Kyle Lowry.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/6/2017  4:33 PM
Finestrg wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Completely agree. Sessions is the odd man out here, despite he having the guaranteed deal instead of Jack. Jack stays (he's earned it--the stark turnaround in the early going has very much to do with Jack taking over for Sessions in the starting lineup), Sessions should be waived (big deal, so we eat a couple of million--it'd be the right move), Frank continues to develop and Burke should be signed to a 2-way deal immediately if not sooner. That's how I'd do it. I still think Burke could be something close to Kyle Lowry.

I think we used up our two-way on that dude from UNC. It remains Jack, Sessions, Baker if Sessions is waived. No real change. The only way we see Burke is if one of the guards has a season ending injury

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
knicks1248
Member: #582
11/6/2017  4:39 PM
reub wrote:
Rookie wrote:
reub wrote:

I could see Burke replacing Sessions before Baker.

sessions is probably going to get cut, or the knicks will trade kuz (who's pretty pissed of right now) before noah comes back, which is next wk.

ES
Finestrg
Member: #1069

11/6/2017  5:02 PM
How much is Sessions making?
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

11/6/2017  8:31 PM
BigRedDog wrote:This is just so closed minded.

Trey Burke went 9th in the 2013 NBA Draft.

The 2013 NBA Draft.

Basic Sports 101 - Take a look at all the major sports in 2013. How many of those teams that were winning then are still as relevant now? How many have undergone massive changes in that time? How many have shifted from contenders to gutted? Or bare bones to ascending?

The distance between 2017, heading fast to 2018, and 2013 is a thousand miles long in terms of sports timelines.

NBA players make their biggest developmental leaps between Years 1 and 2 and Years 2 and 3. Once you get past Year 3, what you see is likely what you will get, barring some pretty strange and unique circumstances. Are their outliers to the rule? Yes. But they are called exceptions to the rule for a reason. The rule exists for a reason.

Would I personally love it, as a Knicks fan, to mine gold from everywhere, to trade rape every other team and gut every other team in deals and in the draft and build a contender that's impossible to beat. Sure, I would. But that's not realistic.

Burke was AVAILABLE FOR A REASON.

Just about every other team passed on him for a reason.

He's in the G League now for a reason.

I've listed many reasons why in my other post above. You aren't actually addressing what he's done in the NBA past his draft pedigree ( Dude, in 2013....) or his rookie year ( before the rest of the league got a scouting handle on him and when he was likely going to get the most burn in terms of usage)

He does not offer length nor size nor speed. He doesn't offer elite long range shooting and is a complete zero on defense. He's deficient at running an NBA offense against live NBA grade competition. He's outside his traditional developmental window. That's why he was AVAILABLE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I'm actually pointing out things he can do now that can help him become a passable back end rotation reserve in the NBA. Develop an elite three point shot with a lot of hard work and time. NBA modern and current history shows this is a skill set that can be developed later in a career.

You keep talking about what he could be down the road without any actual methodology as to how that would be possible. What skills he could develop. What system would suit him. What changes he should or could make. You are relying on the time honored UK "Because I Said So" mantra.

Because you said so. In mother f**king 2013 no less.

Every minute given to Trey Burke in a Knick uniform is a minute not given to a raw rookie prospect who is still actually in his developmental window. On top of this, Trey Burke is actually a very very very hard worker in terms of trying to improve his game. This is a guy who is putting in the work and STILL isn't breaching the 15 man roster in this league.

If you want to talk about draft pedigree, it's EXACTLY BECAUSE HE HAD FORMER DRAFT PEDIGREE THAT HE GOT THE CHANCE HE GOT RIGHT NOW. You want it to mean more, but it means exactly as much as he actually got.

If you want to tell me I'm wrong, then tell me I'm wrong. I don't have a problem with people telling me I'm wrong under their viewpoint. What I do find amusing is you aren't actually talking about what Trey Burke can do right now, specifically, to undo the very reasons he's stuck in his current situation in the first place.

Unpack how he can become a league average defender.

Unpack how he can compensate for lack of length, defense, court vision, speed and NBA average athleticism.

Unpack how his current skill set actually translates against NBA grade competition.

"Because You Said So" is worth about as much in 2017 as it was in 2013. Take a minute to unpack that. (It will take you far longer than a minute)

Knickoftime
Member: #3370

11/6/2017  9:54 PM
Burkes scored 43 tonight. Saw some of the game, wasn't that impressed.

29 shots vs 3 assists. Was playing hero ball all night, getting his.

Throws up shots on drives at weird angles. Doesn't go up strong.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/7/2017  1:36 AM
Trey Burke

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy