Member: #316
Canada
8/31/2004  3:07 AM
Insider: Who's Left?

Who's left on the board?

By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

Updated August 26, 2004

The first seven weeks of free agency has left the cupboard nearly bare.

Only the Hawks and Bobcats have any real cap room left. The Hawks have around $6.9 million in room. The Bobcats have around $7.8 million. No one else has significant space to speak of. That's bad news for several top free agents, including Stromile Swift and Darius Miles. Both players are coveted, but the teams that love them just don't have the cash to sign them.

Here's an updated look at the best free agents left on the board.

Top 10 free agents
(R) = Restricted free agent

1. Stromile Swift, PF, Grizzlies (R)
The skinny: Swift expected to be a hot commodity this summer, but the Grizzlies made it known they planned to match any offer, and the market cooled pretty quickly. The Bobcats and Hawks could use him and have enough cash left to make the Grizzlies sweat. Instead, the Grizzlies may end up including Swift in a sign-and-trade to Chicago if they can convince the Bulls to ship them Eddy Curry back in return.

2. Darius Miles, F, Blazers (R)

MilesThe skinny: Miles was a breakout performer for the Blazers over the last two months of the season, averaging 12.6 points and 4.5 rebounds after being acquired from Cleveland. Moreover, his production was going up as the season wound down, and he was a big part of the team's late playoff push. Portland wants to re-sign him, but its original offer sheet was very low, causing Miles to look elsewhere. Now Miles wants out of Portland. Unfortunately for Miles, unless the Hawks or Bobcats come through, he's not going to be able to cash in on the free-agent bonanza the way some were. That's the curse of restricted free agency. If the Blazers trade Shareef Abdur-Rahim, they might be more willing to commit. . . if not expect him to sign the team's one year tender.
3. Karl Malone, PF, Lakers
The skinny: The biggest question on Malone is whether he'll play this season. Offseason surgery may force him into retirement. If he does play, three teams have shown a lot of interest -- the Spurs, Lakers and Heat. Given that Malone left Utah to play with Shaq, following him to Miami makes the most sense.

4. Rodney White, G/F, Nuggets

WhiteThe skinny: White has a ton of potential and is an unrestricted free agent, so he should be a bargain at this point. The word out of Denver is that he's going to re-up with the Nuggets.
5. Marcus Fizer, F, Bobcats
The skinny: Fizer was instant offense for the Bulls last season coming off the bench -- think a poor man's Corliss Williamson. However, he isn't a great rebounder or defender and is coming off an injury filled season. The Celtics have shown some interest. The Heat and Kings could also use a veteran forward.

6. Jon Barry, G, Nuggets
The skinny: Barry had an off year with the Nuggets and has taken his time trying to find a new home. The Hawks have pursued him the most, though it appears he'd prefer to play with a team that has a better chance of winning it all. Denver remains interested in re-signing him as well and appears close to get getting something done.

7. Keon Clark, F, Suns

ClarkThe skinny: There was a time when Keon Clark was one of the hotter commodities in the league. After two very disappointing, injury filled seasons … that time has passed. He's looking at a $1.6 million or minimum deal where ever he goes.
8. Jake Tsakalidis, C, Grizzlies (R)
The skinny: He's big. At this late in the game, that's about all you're going to get. The Grizzlies might re-sign him or he could take an offer to play in Russia.

9. Kenny Anderson, G, Pacers
The skinny: Several teams still need a veteran point guard and he's the best guy left on the board.

10. Corie Blount, C, Raptors
The skinny: He's 35 years old, but he's still capable of playing 10 to 15 minutes a night as a back-up center.

Best of the Rest

Unrestricted: Gary Trent, PF, Timberwolves; Lonny Baxter, F, Bobcats; Ryan Bowen, F, Nuggets; Steve Smith, G, Hornets; DerMarr Johnson, G, Knicks; Donnell Harvey, F, Suns; Michael Curry, G, Raptors; Dion Glover, G, Raptors; Ben Handlogten, F, Suns

Restricted: Courtney Alexander, G, Hornets; Jamison Brewer, G, Pacers

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.
AUTOADVERT
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Canada
8/31/2004  3:08 AM
Insider Rumours....

Randolph's extension in jeopardy?

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Zach Randolph
Blazers
Aug. 26 - Zach Randolph's latest off-the-court incident might cool Portland's interest in signing the the 23-year-old forward to a contract extension, The Oregonian reports. "These situations don't sit well with what we are trying to achieve and accomplish here in Portland," GM John Nash told the newspaper.
Randolph will make $1.8 million this season, the final year of his contract. He could face criminal charges for misleading police officers investigating his brother's involvement in a shooting near Randolph's hometown of Marion, Ind.

Vince Carter
Raptors
Knicks?
Hornets? Aug. 19 - Vince Carter reportedly wants to be traded, but talk of a Carter trade to the Knicks (it resurfaced in the New York papers on Aug. 19) is silly, says Insider's Chad Ford. The Knicks just don't have the assets to pull off a deal like that. They still have Kurt Thomas, who has some trade value. As does Nazr Mohammed. But Vince Carter? Please.

Stromile Swift
Grizzlies
Grizzlies
Hawks
Bobcats Aug. 19 - Swift has drawn interest from a number of teams, but the Grizzlies have refused to do sign-and-trades and have told teams they'll match any offer for Swift. There are two teams with enough cap space to make an offer to Swift that the Grizzlies might not be willing to match. The Hawks have $7.6 million in cap space available and the Bobcats have $7 million in cap space. Both teams could use him. But will they be willing to pay Swift that much cash to pry him away from Memphis? Now that the Grizzlies have lost out on Erick Dampier and seem to be getting nowhere in their attempts to pry Eddy Curry away from the Bulls, they can't afford to lose Swift. They've been claiming all summer they'll match any offer. Maybe they will.

Darius Miles
Blazers
Blazers
Hawks?
Bobcats? Aug. 19 - Miles hasn't received significant interest from either the Hawks or the Bobcats and he's had no contact with the Blazers over the past few weeks. The Blazers are refusing to talk sign-and-trade and Miles considers the offer on the table to be unacceptable. We've been saying for weeks that Miles may be forced to take the Blazers' one-year tender and try his luck as an unrestricted free agent next summer. That seems like a worst-case scenario for the Blazers too, considering that they won't be able to trade Miles next year if he takes the tender. But this is what it's come to.

Karl Malone
Lakers
Lakers
Spurs
Heat Aug. 19 - Rudy Tomjanovich says he's confident that Karl Malone will stay with his new team. Tomjanovich says he met with Malone recently and believes the power forward, who went down with a knee injury in December, won't leave.

Rodney White
Nuggets
Nuggets
Heat
Hornets Aug. 17 - Money isn't the only thing for free-agent swingman White, who told the Rocky Mountain News that he wants to play. "I just really want an opportunity," White said. "I played 13 minutes a game last year. I would like to play some more minutes. Last year, I was a great team player. I was consistent with my play. I really believe I deserve an opportunity to show what I can do."
White became a free agent after the Nuggets decided not to pick up his $2.5 million option. Denver now has only $2.3 million under the cap, meaning White would have to take a pay cut to return. "That would be a little hard to do," he said. "I let my agent work all that out. I'm preaching more situation than money. When I get the playing time, hopefully 2.5 won't even be what we'll be talking about. I just want the best situation right now. I'm not looking for the max dollars."

Peja Stojakovic
Kings
Pacers? Aug. 13 - Stojakovic, who wants out of Sacramento, has been rumored to be going to Indiana in exhange for Ron Artest. However, Pacers president Larry Bird denies any such deal is in the works.
"It's all speculation," Bird told the Indianapolis Star. "Peja wanting to be traded has nothing to do with Ronnie. It's all just talk."

An Artest-for Stojakovic swap would work under the cap (the Pacers would have to include a minimum-salary player), but Kings director of player personnel Jerry Reynolds said he has no plans to trade Stojakovic, despite the shooting guard's pleads.

Eddy Curry
Bulls
Grizzlies Aug. 13 - Although Erick Dampier remains the Grizzlies' first choice in their search for a center, Curry has become option No. 2, reports the Memphis Commercial Appeal. The Grizzlies have reportedly talked to the Bulls about Curry, but Chicago is asking for Bonzi Wells and Stromile Swift in return, two players with whom Memphis does not want to part.
According to sources, Bulls GM John Paxson is insisting that he'll only trade Curry if a team is willing to offer a talented young player or two and salary-cap relief in return.

Jake Tskalidis
Grizzlies
Cavs Aug. 13 - The Cavs are looking for a backup center, and appear to have their sights set on the Grizzlies' Jake Tsakalidis, reports the Willoughby News-Herald. The Hawks' Scot Pollard could be a possibility for Cleveland.

Ray Allen
Sonics
Sonics Aug. 12 - The Sonics have no intention of trading Allen, and are working on a contract extension that would keep Allen in Seattle through the 2009-10 season, reports the Seattle Times.
"We're hopeful we can sit down and talk with Ray and get some type of extension done before next season," Sonics GM Rick Sund said. Allen, 29, could reportedly net more than $70 million, but the team doesn't appear inclined to give its leading scorer a max deal.

Jon Barry
Nuggets
Hawks
Nuggets
Clippers
Retirement? Aug. 12 - Barry, a free-agent guard, told the Rocky Mountain News he is receiving interest from four teams, including the Nuggets, for whom he played last season. The Hawks, SuperSonics and Clippers are also possibilities.
Denver GM Kiki Vandeweghe said he has recently spoken to the 35-year-old Barry, but has no immediate plans to sign him. The Nuggets have $2.3 million in cap space remaining. Barry said last month he'd consider retirement if he doesn't receive what he considers an acceptable offer.

Mo Williams
Jazz
Bucks Aug. 6 - Jazz restricted free agent Mo Williams has signed an offer sheet from the Bucks. The Jazz have 15 days to decide whether to match the Bucks' offer and keep the guard in Salt Lake City. Williams' agent, Mark Bartelstein, told The Journal Times of Racine the offer was worth $5.5 million over three years. Williams earned $770,000 last season.
The 6-foot-1 Williams was selected in the second round, 47th overall, of the 2003 draft. He averaged five points, 1.3 assists in 57 games last season.

Jason Kidd
Nets
Mavericks
Lakers Aug. 5 - The New York Post reports that the Kidd-to-Mavericks trade may be 60 days in the making. The Mavs will acquire Jason Terry from the Atlanta Hawks as early as today, meaning that Terry can't be moved for two months, according to NBA rules. But the Mavs may be using this time to better evaluate the physical condition of Kidd, who is coming off of knee surgery.
"You have to put yourself in position to make something happen," president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson told the Fort Worth Star Telegram. "If you do the right things consistently with smaller moves, it's easier to do the bigger moves."

However, league sources claim that the Lakers, not the Mavericks, are the team Kidd really wants to play for. Look for the Kidd camp to keep pushing the Lakers to send the expiring contracts of Gary Payton and Rick Fox along with a young player like Caron Butler or Kareem Rush to the Nets in return for Kidd. The deal would give the Nets lots of cap relief along with a promising young player and give the Lakers the best backcourt in the NBA.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Blazers
Timberwolves Aug. 5 - The Blazers and Timberwolves continue to talk about a Shareef Abdur-Rahim-for-Wally Szczerbiak swap, Insider's Chad Ford reports. The issue right now is the other player the Wolves are willing to include in the deal to make the numbers work. Abdur-Rahim makes $14.6 million this season. Szczerbiak is due $9 million.
The Wolves really have only two options. They can either send center Michael Olowokandi or backup center Ervin Johnson back in the deal. The team is reluctant to part with either. Despite a slew of injuries, the team believes Olowokandi could be a force for them next season. Johnson is more expendable, but given Olowokandi's injury history, the team is worried about giving away Kandi's only back-up. The Blazers could include Vladimir Stepania in the deal to help the Wolves absorb the loss of Johnson and still make the numbers work.

Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/31/2004  10:22 AM
I know there is room for improvement but Id rather Isiah wait and see how the team does to start before he makes any more deals.Would like to see the players we have now develop some kind of chemistry.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/31/2004  10:28 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

I know there is room for improvement but Id rather Isiah wait and see how the team does to start before he makes any more deals.Would like to see the players we have now develop some kind of chemistry.

Me too, but I'd also like him to sign Keon Clark soon.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/31/2004  10:45 AM
Keon might be good pickup.Hevent watched him play in a while so I dont know if he still has anything left in the tank.If he does he could provide some energy off the bench like JYD.
raven
Canada
8/31/2004  10:46 AM
if healhty and focused, keon would be a nice way to fill our shot blocking need.
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
8/31/2004  10:53 AM
yea i agree, we should add keon and then thats it, let this team gel together in training camp. WOW I CANT WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START, ONLY 63 DAYS LEFT
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
raven
Canada
8/31/2004  11:23 AM
exaclty. we need some time to built a chemistry and start to know who we really are.
Insider: Who's Left?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy