[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

So,I'm beginning to think Kristaps might be the real deal...
Author Thread
grillco
Posts: 20508
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/23/2010
Member: #3202

11/4/2017  12:14 AM
...I tuned out the Knicks last season. Too much drama and not enough ball. I was okay with Phil leaving and had hoped that things would have worked out better with Melo. I was always a fan until this exit and how it was all about him. Still pissed at management for sending him to a contender.

I can't understand on a basic level why Anthony wouldn't have been as happy or willing to play second to Porz if he's willing to do it with Westbrook. But choices were made on both sides which I can't know, change, or dwell upon. So, it's even all good with Melo.

HOLY FLIPPING SHIP!!! Staps is exploding and I think we'd all agree that he's clearly on an upward trajectory and even if this is him "peak" or norm for the next decade, we'd all find a way to live with it. It's exciting to see a Knick from day one that's this good. I'm not saying he's going to be as good as Ewing, but he's the only draft pick since that looks like he really has the potential to be the next all-time great New York Knick.

So cheers to the new look Knicks. Although I still wish they'd been more frugal about Hardaway and made a better deal when ditching #7. But .500 with a gelling crew, that's something I get behind. I hope they get more national airtime so I can see them in NoVa.

AUTOADVERT
grillco
Posts: 20508
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/23/2010
Member: #3202

11/4/2017  12:29 AM
Just in case I wanted to let you folks know that I was being cheeky with the thread title. I knew Porz was going to be good and hoped he'd be this give, but I wasn't holding my breath. I'm just glad the team got something good out of the Phil Jackson debacle.

Peace.

newyorknewyork
Posts: 27056
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 1/16/2004
Member: #541
11/4/2017  1:24 AM
Hes okay, I mean hes no Fredrick Weis, but we will just have to make due.
franco12
Posts: 29856
Alba Posts: 4
Joined: 2/19/2004
Member: #599
USA
11/4/2017  7:33 AM
Not to douse anyone's exuberance, but Amare put up a stretch like this, and then he got hurt and was never the same.

I do agree that KP has answered the question - who was the best talent in his draft class!

Now - can he keep this up?

He's shown flashes in the past - last year, great November, and then subsequently faded each month.

Can he stay healthy? Can he continue to be efficient?

I had thought one of our goals this season was to determine whether KP was a bust or not. He's answered that question for sure in a very short time.

Now, the question is how great can he be this soon in his career?

I've been thinking the MVP chants devalue what they mean this early.

But, he keeps this up, he is definitely in the conversation at the end of the year.

Clearly, KP doesn't want to add another star to the team (through the draft!)

nyknickzingis
Posts: 22705
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 12/8/2015
Member: #6207

11/4/2017  8:16 AM
grillco wrote:Just in case I wanted to let you folks know that I was being cheeky with the thread title. I knew Porz was going to be good and hoped he'd be this give, but I wasn't holding my breath. I'm just glad the team got something good out of the Phil Jackson debacle.

Peace.


All this shows that Phil was right all along.
Phil made a mistake in going for Rose and Melo.
However he also knew he needed to correct the mistake and rebuild around Porzingis.
The start was to trade Melo. If Melo is not atogonized last year he will never leave.
Melo never wanted to leave. He was sort of pushed out. Phil made himself the bad guy, but it was for the greater good of the franchise.

Now we've got the best frontline in the NBA along with DeAndre/Blake. Kanter/Porzingis is a major load. They don't have the elite perimeter wing or guard player to become a contender, but we have a base. We have even more firepower in the frontline with Willy and O'Quinn off the bench.

Knicks are developing the future and also being competitive. Don't know how long this will last (the competitive part) but it's nice to see that the Knicks made the right call. As for Porzingis, as I said many times if all we got from the Phil era was Porzingis, it was worth the trouble. However we got more, we got to trade Melo for a good asset (Kanter) and rebuild. We got to draft Willy and Frank. Give them 2 more years, they will be a load as well. They know the game. They'll thrive with KP.

Ira
Posts: 24395
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 8/14/2001
Member: #91
11/4/2017  8:27 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:Hes okay, I mean hes no Fredrick Weis, but we will just have to make due.

GustavBahler
Posts: 32930
Alba Posts: 15
Joined: 7/12/2010
Member: #3186

11/4/2017  8:47 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/4/2017  8:49 AM
franco12 wrote:Not to douse anyone's exuberance, but Amare put up a stretch like this, and then he got hurt and was never the same.

I do agree that KP has answered the question - who was the best talent in his draft class!

Now - can he keep this up?

He's shown flashes in the past - last year, great November, and then subsequently faded each month.

Can he stay healthy? Can he continue to be efficient?

I had thought one of our goals this season was to determine whether KP was a bust or not. He's answered that question for sure in a very short time.

Now, the question is how great can he be this soon in his career?

I've been thinking the MVP chants devalue what they mean this early.

But, he keeps this up, he is definitely in the conversation at the end of the year.

Clearly, KP doesn't want to add another star to the team (through the draft!)

Amare's knees were already uninsurable at that point. Injuries can happen, but KP has become better at taking a fall. The kind that might have caused an injury his rookie year.

Its great to have another big like Kanter to out out there, when KP is on the bench. Keeps him from hopefully being run into to ground. Noah is coming back too, his defense and leadership will also give Hornacek the ability to pare down KP's minutes at times this season. Especially if the Knicks look like they have a legit shot at the playoffs.

BRIGGS
Posts: 49442
Alba Posts: 8
Joined: 7/30/2002
Member: #303
11/4/2017  8:50 AM
The only thing that will stop kp is if he gets hurt. He is young so he needs to think twice about crazy forays into the lane. You want him to play hard but also to play smart.

In terms of play-- I wanted the Knicks to draft kp-- I thought he was the 2 nd best player in the draft. After watching his game and body type last year I thought he was good but not great. I thought willy in a 4-1 set might be the better player-- one that could stay healthy and avg a high % from the field. I thought kps game was ineffecient and physically a sitting duck to get hurt( and I still have fears on the latter) he seemed to play 30 feet from the basket too much and at times tried to emulate a 3 man without those skills. What he has turned into might be the best prototypical 4 man of all time. He is like a master of Kung fu-- a player who has the skill to do anything in his dojo and the size to play the game at his pace. His jump from a- b is more than simply Carmelo leaving. This guy is a unique basketball player-- he's the guy who comes around every 10 years. He's that fcking good.

fishmike
Posts: 47695
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/19/2002
Member: #298
USA
11/4/2017  8:55 AM
A few thoughts on KP

His midrange game is blossoming and will be utterly untstoppable for as long as he's on the court. He's 7'3 with a crazy wingspan and can knock down that 12 foot turnaround jumper over anyone. Think about it. There is no defense. Oh yea.. he can put it on the floor, pull up or just throw it down. He can slice and take contact. Its really nuts what he's doing. I love the pace. I hope Jeff can keep his minutes down. He's just under 33. I think keeping it around 30 makes a difference. KP is going to more suseptable to wear and tear I think because of his frame, but he gives you a lot to like. He's clearly working on his body, and not just bulking up. He's super dedicated.

He's a 4. Look at this scoring. You want him banging against guys like Kanter or KOQ? No... and look how good those blockheads look next to KP. KP is no softee but he's a finesse player. Skill and height with him. Seeing him against these stretch 4s is a joke. He's feasting on them.

KP in year 3 at 22 years old is showing superstar franchise talent on a nightly basis on both ends. My god that rejection and slam down the other end. The best part is it had nothing to do with showboating or highlights. This was a very chippy game and KP was getting pushing around. This was him seeing a fastball coming and putting his best sunday swing on it.

You just gotta love the guy's effort and impact. Needs to pass more and figure some things out but man it sure looks like we are seeing the birth of a star. Fingers crossed.

fishmike - Making UltimateKnicks great again
nyknickzingis
Posts: 22705
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 12/8/2015
Member: #6207

11/4/2017  9:04 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/4/2017  9:04 AM
All those advanced stats guys from ESPN are pretty silent now about the KP is a 5 argument?
Phil wanted him at 4. Built the team with him in mind at 4.
Mills was smart enough to follow. Perry is sharp.

Love that Porzingis finally figured out that his best shot was like Pau Gasol and Dirk in the mid range and post shooting over smalls vs waiting outside and trying to be Steph Curry.

It's great to see Porzingis develop. You see his mentality. He has that Kobe Bryant type of mindset. Lives eats and breathes basketball. Injuries can stop him. Nothing else. The man is on a mission and is a killer.

fishmike
Posts: 47695
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/19/2002
Member: #298
USA
11/4/2017  9:21 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:All those advanced stats guys from ESPN are pretty silent now about the KP is a 5 argument?
Phil wanted him at 4. Built the team with him in mind at 4.
Mills was smart enough to follow. Perry is sharp.

Love that Porzingis finally figured out that his best shot was like Pau Gasol and Dirk in the mid range and post shooting over smalls vs waiting outside and trying to be Steph Curry.

It's great to see Porzingis develop. You see his mentality. He has that Kobe Bryant type of mindset. Lives eats and breathes basketball. Injuries can stop him. Nothing else. The man is on a mission and is a killer.

I agree. This is the kind of guy you want pushing the franchise buttons. I think we are in good hands also. Just stay healthy
fishmike - Making UltimateKnicks great again
WaltLongmire
Posts: 27102
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 6/28/2014
Member: #5843

11/4/2017  12:05 PM
He's doing what he's doing yet he still looks awkward on some of his shots...so you might have someone who will average 27+PPG while being only 75% finished as a project.

I would really push him to develop a good hook shot...and he should work with Kanter and Willy on the pivot post game they use...not unlike how McHale used to move in the paint.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Bonn1997
Posts: 58315
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
11/4/2017  12:12 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:All those advanced stats guys from ESPN are pretty silent now about the KP is a 5 argument?
Phil wanted him at 4. Built the team with him in mind at 4.
Mills was smart enough to follow. Perry is sharp.

Love that Porzingis finally figured out that his best shot was like Pau Gasol and Dirk in the mid range and post shooting over smalls vs waiting outside and trying to be Steph Curry.

It's great to see Porzingis develop. You see his mentality. He has that Kobe Bryant type of mindset. Lives eats and breathes basketball. Injuries can stop him. Nothing else. The man is on a mission and is a killer.


Stats that I saw indicated he should stay at the 4. What was being said on ESPN? Who said it?
martin
Posts: 46304
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
11/4/2017  12:26 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:He's doing what he's doing yet he still looks awkward on some of his shots...so you might have someone who will average 27+PPG while being only 75% finished as a project.

I would really push him to develop a good hook shot...and he should work with Kanter and Willy on the pivot post game they use...not unlike how McHale used to move in the paint.

100%

This is the first year of KP finally playing with confidence, with his body at a point where he is not pushed around, and within an offense where his is the main focus (and/or there aren't any other black holes).

I see at least 2 more years of leaps like this one from KP.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
CrushAlot
Posts: 55239
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
11/4/2017  12:44 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:All those advanced stats guys from ESPN are pretty silent now about the KP is a 5 argument?
Phil wanted him at 4. Built the team with him in mind at 4.
Mills was smart enough to follow. Perry is sharp.

Love that Porzingis finally figured out that his best shot was like Pau Gasol and Dirk in the mid range and post shooting over smalls vs waiting outside and trying to be Steph Curry.

It's great to see Porzingis develop. You see his mentality. He has that Kobe Bryant type of mindset. Lives eats and breathes basketball. Injuries can stop him. Nothing else. The man is on a mission and is a killer.


Stats that I saw indicated he should stay at the 4. What was being said on ESPN? Who said it?
Not sure who said it but it was said by some on bball podcasts when the Knick roster was being criticized. Too many 5's and the 5 is KP's best position down the road was the most common take. I think KP needs to play alongside a bruiser like Kanter or Rolo to be most effective.
I think we know what we're doing..... Phil Jackson
Bonn1997
Posts: 58315
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
11/4/2017  12:50 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:All those advanced stats guys from ESPN are pretty silent now about the KP is a 5 argument?
Phil wanted him at 4. Built the team with him in mind at 4.
Mills was smart enough to follow. Perry is sharp.

Love that Porzingis finally figured out that his best shot was like Pau Gasol and Dirk in the mid range and post shooting over smalls vs waiting outside and trying to be Steph Curry.

It's great to see Porzingis develop. You see his mentality. He has that Kobe Bryant type of mindset. Lives eats and breathes basketball. Injuries can stop him. Nothing else. The man is on a mission and is a killer.


Stats that I saw indicated he should stay at the 4. What was being said on ESPN? Who said it?
Not sure who said it but it was said by some on bball podcasts when the Knick roster was being criticized. Too many 5's and the 5 is KP's best position down the road was the most common take. I think KP needs to play alongside a bruiser like Kanter or Rolo to be most effective.

Hmmm. That sounds more like conjecture than a statistical argument. I like how he looks next to Kanter and KOQ too so far. I'd like at least 25 games before really judging anything though.
StarksEwing1
Posts: 29894
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 12/28/2012
Member: #4451

11/4/2017  1:15 PM
franco12 wrote:Not to douse anyone's exuberance, but Amare put up a stretch like this, and then he got hurt and was never the same.

I do agree that KP has answered the question - who was the best talent in his draft class!

Now - can he keep this up?

He's shown flashes in the past - last year, great November, and then subsequently faded each month.

Can he stay healthy? Can he continue to be efficient?

I had thought one of our goals this season was to determine whether KP was a bust or not. He's answered that question for sure in a very short time.

Now, the question is how great can he be this soon in his career?

I've been thinking the MVP chants devalue what they mean this early.

But, he keeps this up, he is definitely in the conversation at the end of the year.

Clearly, KP doesn't want to add another star to the team (through the draft!)

amare also had a history of knee problems. Even the suns great medical staff didnt recommend resigning him to a longterm deal
CrushAlot
Posts: 55239
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
11/4/2017  1:20 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:All those advanced stats guys from ESPN are pretty silent now about the KP is a 5 argument?
Phil wanted him at 4. Built the team with him in mind at 4.
Mills was smart enough to follow. Perry is sharp.

Love that Porzingis finally figured out that his best shot was like Pau Gasol and Dirk in the mid range and post shooting over smalls vs waiting outside and trying to be Steph Curry.

It's great to see Porzingis develop. You see his mentality. He has that Kobe Bryant type of mindset. Lives eats and breathes basketball. Injuries can stop him. Nothing else. The man is on a mission and is a killer.


Stats that I saw indicated he should stay at the 4. What was being said on ESPN? Who said it?
Not sure who said it but it was said by some on bball podcasts when the Knick roster was being criticized. Too many 5's and the 5 is KP's best position down the road was the most common take. I think KP needs to play alongside a bruiser like Kanter or Rolo to be most effective.

Hmmm. That sounds more like conjecture than a statistical argument. I like how he looks next to Kanter and KOQ too so far. I'd like at least 25 games before really judging anything though.
It wasn't a statistical argument.
I think we know what we're doing..... Phil Jackson
Bonn1997
Posts: 58315
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 2/2/2004
Member: #581
USA
11/4/2017  1:32 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:All those advanced stats guys from ESPN are pretty silent now about the KP is a 5 argument?
Phil wanted him at 4. Built the team with him in mind at 4.
Mills was smart enough to follow. Perry is sharp.

Love that Porzingis finally figured out that his best shot was like Pau Gasol and Dirk in the mid range and post shooting over smalls vs waiting outside and trying to be Steph Curry.

It's great to see Porzingis develop. You see his mentality. He has that Kobe Bryant type of mindset. Lives eats and breathes basketball. Injuries can stop him. Nothing else. The man is on a mission and is a killer.


Stats that I saw indicated he should stay at the 4. What was being said on ESPN? Who said it?
Not sure who said it but it was said by some on bball podcasts when the Knick roster was being criticized. Too many 5's and the 5 is KP's best position down the road was the most common take. I think KP needs to play alongside a bruiser like Kanter or Rolo to be most effective.

Hmmm. That sounds more like conjecture than a statistical argument. I like how he looks next to Kanter and KOQ too so far. I'd like at least 25 games before really judging anything though.
It wasn't a statistical argument.

OK that's not what NYK was saying above though.
reub
Posts: 21272
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2016
Member: #6227

11/4/2017  4:01 PM
My favorite play maybe ever was KP blocking Josh Jackson's shot on one end (Josh you're not in Kansas anymore!) and then running the floor for a slam dunk on a great feed from Jack. Was epic.
So,I'm beginning to think Kristaps might be the real deal...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.