[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Marbury

Author Poll
NYK3
Member: #725
USA
Do you think Marbury will finish his career in NY?
Yes
No
View Results

Author Thread
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
8/30/2004  8:13 PM
I know if the right deal comes along we trade him but I believe he is here to stay and will finish his career in orange and blue
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/30/2004  8:20 PM
It would be nice for him to go out on top. Not hanging on like Penny. Penny gets paid nice to hang around. I don't blame him a bit. Just tired of seeing bloated contracts on the team and longing for them to go. I hope Allan comes back strong, or walks like a warrior. Its hard, even Patrick hung on too long.

Please keep Michael home if he feels like doing it again.

I give barkely credit, he ate himself into retirement and he stayed there.

In ten years Stephs long head gonna start looking sad. Then its time to go.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/30/2004  9:10 PM
I don't think he will. I would like him to, but I think he will just finish his best years in NY. Then when he gets too old, he'll get shipped out.
Hope he has a great career here tho. I'd like to see #3 hanging up on the rafters.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/30/2004  11:36 PM
Ewing didn't...

The New York Media will screw it up again
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
8/30/2004  11:41 PM
Screw the NY media... Starbury's a keeper.

Hope they let Starks stand next to him when they hang Marbury's #3 up in the rafters...

[Edited by - HARDCOREKNICKSFAN on 08/30/2004 23:41:58]
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/31/2004  3:15 AM
sean deveney about marbury during the olympics :

Marbury got a taste of what Chauncey Billups went through last season -- playing for Brown is difficult for point guards, especially scoring point guards. At times, Marbury looked confused about when to shoot and when to pass, much like Billups did at times last season. Marbury is a good scorer, but he was a ballhog with the Knicks last year and has been for his entire career. Perhaps a few weeks under Brown's tutelage will make that go away.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2852442
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/31/2004  6:42 AM
No. Isiah has a restless trigger finger. He will eventually be traded for a big man.
bernard
Member: #475
8/31/2004  8:56 AM
It's unusual for aging superstars to acknowledge the extent of their decline. They don't want to take a smaller contract. They don't want to take a smaller role on their team. Usually, the only way they will accept less is by being forced to by the open market. Will Starbury be an exception to this rule? I doubt it. Doesn't strike me as a particularly humble guy. Would be surprised if he weren't out of NY when current contract expires or in the year prior.

Bigger question in my mind is if he'll be traded before then, when he's still at the top of his game. If that happens, it means the IT experiment failed, so I hope it doesn't.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/31/2004  3:11 PM
Posted by raven:

sean deveney about marbury during the olympics :

Marbury got a taste of what Chauncey Billups went through last season -- playing for Brown is difficult for point guards, especially scoring point guards. At times, Marbury looked confused about when to shoot and when to pass, much like Billups did at times last season. Marbury is a good scorer, but he was a ballhog with the Knicks last year and has been for his entire career. Perhaps a few weeks under Brown's tutelage will make that go away.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2852442

After he was traded to the Knicks, he led the league in assists. TEAM USA led the Olympics in assists as a team. Marbury must be a strange kind of passing ball hog. The ball is in his hands because he's the best player on the Knicks and because he's the point guard and he's running the offense!
¿ △ ?
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/31/2004  4:30 PM
what a weird topic.

nothing is set in stone (i.e. patrick ewing) but man, marbury just got here and we're already talking about him not being here - crazy.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/31/2004  5:01 PM
I've always been a little baffled by scoring PGs--- there's something ironic about it. If a players is busy scoring 20ppg and is dribbling the ball up the court and distributing it, the ball must be in his hands an awful lot. Part of the label of ballhog has to do with how long it takes for you to make decisions and for the ball to move. It's okay to score as a PG--- but it's how you score that's important to this position. Isolations and shots out of the flow aren't good ways to score--- transition baskets, open jumpers, and occassional drives to keep the defense honest seem like the idea for PGs.

No matter how many assists you make, you can still be labeled a ballhog.

(Jason Kidd generally escapes the label because the ball is often flying around and swinging around the floor.)
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
technomaster
USA
8/31/2004  5:04 PM
While I'm enjoying what IT has done with the team, I think he'll eventually be let go by the team after the salary of his roster approaches Yankee levels... :) With him gone... Marbury's future w/ the team will be in question.

Of course, that could happen years from now, perhaps at the end of his current contract.
Kwazimodal
Member: #728
8/31/2004  5:11 PM
Posted by bernard:

It's unusual for aging superstars to acknowledge the extent of their decline. They don't want to take a smaller contract. They don't want to take a smaller role on their team. Usually, the only way they will accept less is by being forced to by the open market. Will Starbury be an exception to this rule? I doubt it. Doesn't strike me as a particularly humble guy. Would be surprised if he weren't out of NY when current contract expires or in the year prior.

Great post.Even money thats why he wont retire as a Knick.Not many quality PGs do.Cousy and Stockton are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head although Marbury has a ways to go if he wants to be included in that company.
Kwazimodal
Member: #728
8/31/2004  5:15 PM
Well,Marbury started elsewhere so I guess its different.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/31/2004  8:25 PM
Posted by technomaster:

I've always been a little baffled by scoring PGs--- there's something ironic about it. If a players is busy scoring 20ppg and is dribbling the ball up the court and distributing it, the ball must be in his hands an awful lot. Part of the label of ballhog has to do with how long it takes for you to make decisions and for the ball to move. It's okay to score as a PG--- but it's how you score that's important to this position. Isolations and shots out of the flow aren't good ways to score--- transition baskets, open jumpers, and occassional drives to keep the defense honest seem like the idea for PGs.

(Jason Kidd generally escapes the label because the ball is often flying around and swinging around the floor.)
No, I think Kidd escapes the label simply because he's not a good scorer. If he could score 20 a game like Marbury and was still the same passer he is, he'd be called a ball-hog too. People simply HATE PGs who can score.

Of course Marbury sometimes puts up bad shots, but ALL 20 PPG scorers do. If you don't allow a great scorer to have some freedom on offense, he might not put up bad shots, but he'll be to reluctant to do anything good either.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/31/2004  8:54 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by technomaster:

No, I think Kidd escapes the label simply because he's not a good scorer. If he could score 20 a game like Marbury and was still the same passer he is, he'd be called a ball-hog too. People simply HATE PGs who can score.

Of course Marbury sometimes puts up bad shots, but ALL 20 PPG scorers do. If you don't allow a great scorer to have some freedom on offense, he might not put up bad shots, but he'll be to reluctant to do anything good either.
Not true because:
a) Oscar Robertson
b) Isiah Thomas
c) Tim Hardaway
d) Gary Payton

All had multiple 20pt 9 assist seasons but were never called or labled ball hogs. Not like they call Marbury a "ball hog".

I think people hate Marbury. They dont know why they hate him but they just hate him. They don't know what they are talking about when they call him a ball hog because they haven't seen him play enough. They do not past the bad situation like in New Jersey, and bad luck in Phoenix.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
technomaster
USA
9/1/2004  1:56 AM
Hahaha, all of the players listed are ball hogs.

I remember hearing stories about the big O from my father--- it was as if he was the original ball hog.

Tim Hardaway? Ball hog. Isiah Thomas? Ball hog---> but he learned to trust his teammates, and that's when they started to win... and win big.

Some might say GP is also a ball hog--- the only difference is that he never averaged a ton of assists like the other guys.
Marbury

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy