[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Frank will need multi year
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/30/2017  11:49 PM
Development. He's going to need a couple of years of ball handling improvement in combination with a well designed strength program that's focused on explosion. He has length and iq for the game but his lack of speed/quickness with a high loose dribble is going to be a hamper on him for awhile. I think he will be a quality player but he's on a 3-4 year curve. I think he should get some D league time where he runs the show for 40 minutes per.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Zebo13
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6434
USA
10/31/2017  12:06 AM
I like the idea of some serious minutes to grow but I think he’s fully capable of getting solid production and experience a success our backup PG.
stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

10/31/2017  1:04 AM
Briggs, you watching the games? Frank is very quick around screens. He's quick to use his length to get steals or cause opponent turnovers. He's quick to see a play developing before its developed. D League time?! We are at game 6 or so and the kid is doing great - bringing defensive intensity to a team that sorely needs it, and learning on the job. The coaching staff is bringing him along smartly. D Leauge?! Get that ****e out of here.
The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
Caseloads
Member: #41
10/31/2017  1:30 AM
he needs two to three years before starter. he needs to be here on the full time time all the time, unless rehabbing from injury
Welpee
Member: #6239

10/31/2017  7:03 AM
So is this how it's gonna be from here on out, players are judged on a game by game basis. KP is the now compared to Larry Bird? Frank needs a couple of years development after one shaky game? So if Frank plays well on Wednesday he's the next Gary Payton?
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/31/2017  7:19 AM
Frank needs major development but is already an impact player on the defensive end. Once he figures out how to be a capable offensive player, he's a starter in this league.
BRIGGS
10/31/2017  7:52 AM
stanleybostitch wrote:Briggs, you watching the games? Frank is very quick around screens. He's quick to use his length to get steals or cause opponent turnovers. He's quick to see a play developing before its developed. D League time?! We are at game 6 or so and the kid is doing great - bringing defensive intensity to a team that sorely needs it, and learning on the job. The coaching staff is bringing him along smartly. D Leauge?! Get that ****e out of here.

I don't think he is quick-- but he's smart and quite long. I like him in unit 2 for now-- but I think running the show as a primary pg in the d league from time to time will help the developmental process. Many teams will watch tape of last night and they will send defenders tight on him. He had a lot of trouble just getting into the front court. Many of these 19 yo guys need skill development-- why wouldn't we want to take advantage of westchester home games where he can play lead pg for 6-7 games during the year? It makes a ton of sense.

RIP Crushalot😞
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/31/2017  8:37 AM
stanleybostitch wrote:Briggs, you watching the games? Frank is very quick around screens. He's quick to use his length to get steals or cause opponent turnovers. He's quick to see a play developing before its developed. D League time?! We are at game 6 or so and the kid is doing great - bringing defensive intensity to a team that sorely needs it, and learning on the job. The coaching staff is bringing him along smartly. D Leauge?! Get that ****e out of here.

He's surprisingly good.... but the kid had glaring weaknesses. Denver had him backpedaling from double teams. The scouting report will start to show this around the league. He lacks quickness and has a below average handle. Kid simply can't pressure a defense. The positive is he sees the floor so well he can give up the ball before he gets in trouble. So I agree with Briggs. He needs to really work on this

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/31/2017  8:55 AM
EnySpree wrote:

He's surprisingly good.... but the kid had glaring weaknesses. Denver had him backpedaling from double teams. The scouting report will start to show this around the league. He lacks quickness and has a below average handle. Kid simply can't pressure a defense. The positive is he sees the floor so well he can give up the ball before he gets in trouble. So I agree with Briggs. He needs to really work on this

We knew all this before the draft. These are the things that I know I pointed out as reasons for concern, however the pressure surprised him but I suspect he’ll be more prepared for that next time.
You may not have noticed that Nitty started to attack the pressure and drive more. You can see him drive a bit in this video.

I’m not worried in the least. Just another learning experience.

Chandler
Member: #6197

10/31/2017  9:20 AM
Bad idea. Kid is doing great and u want to kill his confidence Plus confuse him by sending to D league?

Dumb dumb dumb. Different coaches teammates and opponents

He’s not an attacking pg any more than KP is Boban (another one of ur ideas ; KP
Would be in d league etc)

He needs to learn how to use his length to his advantage and the fact that he can draw a double
TeAm is a compliment. As soon as he continues to improve those double teams and tight pressure will become opportunities

(5)(5)
Chandler
Member: #6197

10/31/2017  9:21 AM
Bad idea. Kid is doing great and u want to kill his confidence Plus confuse him by sending to D league?

Dumb dumb dumb. Different coaches teammates and opponents

He’s not an attacking pg any more than KP is Boban (another one of ur ideas ; KP
Would be in d league etc)

He needs to learn how to use his length to his advantage and the fact that he can draw a double
TeAm is a compliment. As soon as he continues to improve those double teams and tight pressure will become opportunities

(5)(5)
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/31/2017  9:24 AM
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

We knew all this before the draft. These are the things that I know I pointed out as reasons for concern, however the pressure surprised him but I suspect he’ll be more prepared for that next time.
You may not have noticed that Nitty started to attack the pressure and drive more. You can see him drive a bit in this video.

Yeah, the thing you'll notice in his scouting report is how hard he works on his weaknesses in the off-season. His jumper was weak, he worked hard to make his form smoother and more consistent. He has a trouble with turnover. He lowered them to like 3 to 1 while team was in it's playoff push. He'll get stronger and better at recognizing pressure. Fact!
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/31/2017  9:28 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2017  9:32 AM
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

It's not about being worried. It's being objective. He is a good kid with an elite head on his shoulders. He's got another level to get to through the extra work he's going to have to put in....

Btw that drive he made was a b-line straight to the basket. He naturally steps back and retreats if there is any resistance

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/31/2017  9:35 AM
Frank is coming along nicely. Right now he looks like a "super-sub", IMO, but that might change in the future. Depends on Frank. I know he wants to get better. Nice to see that take to the rim. It was important to get that one under his belt, should be more confident the next game.

Would rather see Frank in the Drew league next summer than competing in France. Would give him am opportunity to work on his handle against elite NBA competition without worrying about "playing the right way".

blkexec
Member: #748
10/31/2017  9:54 AM
I had to think about this for a second, then it came to me.

If you simply look at stats and highlights all day, Frank looks horrible I'm sure. I haven't seen his stats, but I can imagine it's not great. But if you have a true basketball mind and IQ, you don't need stats to tell you what the eyes see.

If teams are going at Franks weakness, THATS WHAT YOU WANT. That's what Frank needs to get better. BRIGS, you the man at starting these types of threads, which creates great discussion. But I'll have to disagree with you and EnySpree.....

Bringing Frank off the bench and playing meaningful minutes, is exactly how you handle a high draft pick, who's still learning the US game and getting stronger. I think Hornacek is managing Franks minutes very well. Coach has exceeded my expectations.

Frank is starting to grow on me. I was stuck on Dennis Smith highlight plays, until I realize how Frank impacts this team. He's a glue guy / missing championship piece. And I can see how he helps our team because we have extremely similar skills. He's probably the one player that closely resembles my game.

People sleep on me because I don't always pass the eye test to the casual fan. And the casual fan will sleep on Frank because he's not scoring 20 or locking down his defender. But real basketball players know. He does things that don't always show up in stats. And as teams study his weakness, they will also see his strength. Which means his presence on defense will make guards change their game a little. His arms will disrupt all guards who like to crossover and go no where. Frank will be a great glue guy, which is better than poor mans D.Rose in Dennis Smith.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

10/31/2017  9:56 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2017  9:57 AM
BRIGGS wrote:Development. He's going to need a couple of years of ball handling improvement in combination with a well designed strength program that's focused on explosion. He has length and iq for the game but his lack of speed/quickness with a high loose dribble is going to be a hamper on him for awhile. I think he will be a quality player but he's on a 3-4 year curve. I think he should get some D league time where he runs the show for 40 minutes per.

This makes no sense. The only reason you take a young piece and send him to the D League is because he is riding the bench and getting no game experience. Frank is not only getting time on the floor (First player off bench last night) but he is contributing and, more importantly, getting valuable experience agains NBA level pros. Its no secret I was not in favor of Frank over DSJR but to say this kid has not shown enough to stay on the NBA roster is reaching. His defense is quite good and he has very good court vision and is far from a liability. Now is he a Lotto pick? Time will tell but he is good enough to contribute and learn at the NBA level.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/31/2017  10:11 AM
EnySpree wrote:
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

It's not about being worried. It's being objective. He is a good kid with an elite head on his shoulders. He's got another level to get to through the extra work he's going to have to put in....

Btw that drive he made was a b-line straight to the basket. He naturally steps back and retreats if there is any resistance

I understand that but I saw enough to know he will adjust. He’s purposefully being conservative in what he does. He could easily drive more but he’s been trying not to do too much. I suspect we’ll see him increase his aggression on offense as we move along and he gains more comfort and confidence.

He’s not a constant attack PG to be sure. I’ve said he’s more like Billups IMO.

Knickoftime
Member: #3370

10/31/2017  10:35 AM
Wait 20 games.

Hornacek was coaching for this job as recently as Friday.

Friday. It's Tuesday.

Things tend to change fast in the NBA.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
10/31/2017  11:11 AM
Welpee wrote:So is this how it's gonna be from here on out, players are judged on a game by game basis. KP is the now compared to Larry Bird? Frank needs a couple of years development after one shaky game? So if Frank plays well on Wednesday he's the next Gary Payton?

Here on out? This has been Briggs MO for 15 yrs. When KP got ate up by Gobert last season. I think he wanted KP in the D league as well LOL(exaggerating)

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
BRIGGS
10/31/2017  11:17 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Welpee wrote:So is this how it's gonna be from here on out, players are judged on a game by game basis. KP is the now compared to Larry Bird? Frank needs a couple of years development after one shaky game? So if Frank plays well on Wednesday he's the next Gary Payton?

Here on out? This has been Briggs MO for 15 yrs. When KP got ate up by Gobert last season. I think he wanted KP in the D league as well LOL(exaggerating)

I think anyone can see what Frank needs to work on including the rest of the NBA. We have a D league team where the guy lives--why wouldnt we want to get him more work--especially the extended kind in game play? Its not a demerit--its development. San Antonio did this with D Murray last year.

RIP Crushalot😞
Frank will need multi year

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy