[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Porzingis is Larry Bird
Author Thread
KP4Life
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6117
USA
10/30/2017  12:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/30/2017  12:37 PM
minus the passing. He's similar in that he can shoot over most players cause of his height, his jumper has improved a LOT. His post fade is nearly unstoppable. He's crafty around the basket like Bird was. Just watch yesterday's game highlights and tell me he doesn't remind you of him on offense. KP is gonna be a top 3 player in the league in his prime imo. And I can't believe we actually have him. We may not even need to tank this year if him and THjr have breakout years.
AUTOADVERT
Gudris
Member: #6213

10/30/2017  12:39 PM
He has still a lot to learn, he will have a poor games against smart defences like a Boston game
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

10/30/2017  1:12 PM
Gudris wrote:He has still a lot to learn, he will have a poor games against smart defences like a Boston game

I think in the boston game, we just needed to come out more physical on defense and to push back when we are getting bullied . Basically force the refs to calm the game down or start knocking people on there ass. That game is on the coaching staff not the players it has since seemed to be corrected.

The scary/amazing part is that last night KP was the best player on the floor period. He’s only 22 and is going to get even better over time. The Knicks could very well be the surprise team in the east and this could be the beginning to a very very long playoff contention run ala the Ewing years. Hopeful this one ends with lots of chips and celebrating

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

10/30/2017  1:21 PM
Glad you qualify the passing issue. I think he is a better passer than most think, but he is still concerned with getting into position in the post for his shot, and does not have the confidence to be aware of cutters while he is in the post. I don't see him missing passing opportunities when he is on the perimeter...they just are not there. As the team grows into this offense and begin to move without the ball, he might have more opportunities for assists in the future.

He still isn't at his physical peak, yet. Bird was 23(!) his first season in the NBA, KP turned 22 this past August. You can see he's gotten stronger, but his body still has a ways to go before full maturity.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/30/2017  2:16 PM
I thought he looked like Dirk often. They tried to bully him and he didn't let our bother him this time
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
10/30/2017  2:34 PM
I couldn't stand Larry Bird and the Celtics. I used to watch their games growing up on LI - one of the UHF stations (20) broadcast them in the 80s.

However, as a more mature adult, I respect Larry and what he did and how. I think Larry was incredibly cerebral and able to outsmart other players that were 1000% more athletic. I'm not sure I've seen that from KP.

SocraticBallin22
Member: #6096

10/30/2017  3:05 PM
LOL at the title of this thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/30/2017  3:09 PM
As soon as I saw the title, I was thinking, "yeah if you multiply KP's assists by 15!" But KP's scoring is looking great.
Welpee
Member: #6239

10/30/2017  3:12 PM
Saying KP is Larry Bird minus the passing is like saying Amare is Moses Malone minus the rebounding. If you can't pass like Larry Bird then you toss the comparison in the toilet.

Dirk is a much better comparison.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
10/30/2017  3:21 PM
KP is 22. His assists numbers will go up next year. I do see the Bird comparison in regards with scoring ability.
EwingsGlass
Member: #893
USA
10/30/2017  3:34 PM
So, if I say I am like Michael Jordan, minus the crying, we just toss out the comparison, right?
This is the Randle.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/30/2017  3:35 PM
Welpee wrote:Saying KP is Larry Bird minus the passing is like saying Amare is Moses Malone minus the rebounding. If you can't pass like Larry Bird then you toss the comparison in the toilet.

I think he can be better than Dirk because of the greater length. I mean Dirk was amazing, but I honestly think KP can be better. Maybe not from deep but midrange? Elbow? What we see this year vs. other years is he's simply feasting on shorter players from 12-15. That little turnaround feels like it goes in every time.

Hey... maybe he's just a really good player. Maybe he's a 30ppg scorer who gets 10 boards and 2 blocks a night but isnt the best passer. They can put that *on his hall of fame statue

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/30/2017  3:52 PM
Feel like KP's passing will start to settle in later this year and definitely next.

Knicks offense just seemed to settle in last couple of games and will get smoother. Let's not kid ourselves, OKC and BOS are 2 of the better teams in their respective conferences and 2 of the better defensive teams in the league, not to mention Knicks starting PG spot was still getting straightened.

Looking forward to watching The Process, Knicks style

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Welpee
Member: #6239

10/30/2017  3:57 PM
fishmike wrote:
Welpee wrote:Saying KP is Larry Bird minus the passing is like saying Amare is Moses Malone minus the rebounding. If you can't pass like Larry Bird then you toss the comparison in the toilet.

I think he can be better than Dirk because of the greater length. I mean Dirk was amazing, but I honestly think KP can be better. Maybe not from deep but midrange? Elbow? What we see this year vs. other years is he's simply feasting on shorter players from 12-15. That little turnaround feels like it goes in every time.

Hey... maybe he's just a really good player. Maybe he's a 30ppg scorer who gets 10 boards and 2 blocks a night but isnt the best passer. They can put that *on his hall of fame statue

Hey, I'm not complaining at all. But it is funny how if he has two bad games in a row we'll have a thread comparing him to Bargnani. Gotta love Knick fans.

I do think the Bird comparison is off base. They're just different types of players. Bird's vision and passing ability, not to mention his clutch gene, not to mention their physical difference, just makes the comparison pretty far off. I see more similarities with KD than Bird, though I guess having blond hair and a jump shot trumps all.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/30/2017  4:36 PM
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Hey, I'm not complaining at all. But it is funny how if he has two bad games in a row we'll have a thread comparing him to Bargnani. Gotta love Knick fans.

I do think the Bird comparison is off base. They're just different types of players. Bird's vision and passing ability, not to mention his clutch gene, not to mention their physical difference, just makes the comparison pretty far off. I see more similarities with KD than Bird, though I guess having blond hair and a jump shot trumps all.

Bird scored on you every way. Jumpers, lay ups, post ups, hooks, mid range, long range, everywhere... he scored like Pedro used to pitch... an arsenal of variety from anywhere any time. KP has been showing some of that. I think thats the Bird comparison... but Larry was one of the bests ball movers. Ever.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

10/30/2017  5:16 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:As soon as I saw the title, I was thinking, "yeah if you multiply KP's assists by 15!" But KP's scoring is looking great.

I am shock to see you post this when KPs TS% is 54.8. What have you done with the real Bonn imposter

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/30/2017  5:41 PM
I see more Garnett by the day.
BigRedDog
Member: #569
10/30/2017  5:45 PM
Bird was also a much better rebounder than KP.
Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/30/2017  6:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/30/2017  6:09 PM
I remember when Larry Bird came to my high school in NYC with the Celtics to practice in the gym, because the circus was in town. We were told we could watch them practice if we didn't talk.

I was on my free period, and of course made my way to the gym. I was the only person in the gym waiting for team to show up. In walks rookie Larry Bird, first one on the court. He sees me in the stands, psyched to watch a pro team in my gym. Lets out a very little smile. Walks up casually to the halfcourt line an drains it, nothing but net. Then proceeds not miss until the rest of the team shows up.

Got to see Magic his rookie year as well, among other teams. Nancy Lieberman was traveling with the Lakers. Was funny watching all these pros (including Magic) acting like high schoolers around her. You can tell they respected her game. Might have been the first time some of them played with a woman who had some real game.

blkexec
Member: #748
10/30/2017  6:33 PM
The only comparison I see between KP and Bird is that they are both fair skin.

I see more Garnet and Dirk mixed together than Bird. Bird is in a class of his own. But I don't think KP has the same offense or jumper as Bird. And I don't think Bird has the rim protection or offensive rebound dunker type player KP is.

I've done this before and sometimes I have to catch myself. I used to find players of the same race to compare another player to, because that's easy. But if you ignore race or color, KP is actually similar to different people to me, and not just one person.

Dirk
Garnet
Greek Freak
Camby
Sampson

To me, when one player has qualities of different players, you have to put them in their own category. I believe if KP stays at PF, and excels.....He will develop the lateral quickness to guard 4 positions.....and sometimes 5 depending on the player.

I don't think anybody saw Bird and thought unicorn. KP was given that title by another player, for a reason. Putting KP in a category is similar to what people tried to do with Lebron. These guys are placed in their own special category, due to their natural talents and physical tools.

Have we ever seen a 7'3 player with guard like crossovers / handles and protects the rim like a center?

Bird might be setting the bar low....KP is the bar!

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Porzingis is Larry Bird

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy