Celtics looking for PG
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/31/2004  8:58 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:

3) Pierce is a better player than Stephon but a backcourt of Stephon Craw is much better than a backcourt od Craw and Houston.
I don't think he helped his team more last year than Marbury helped the Knicks. Marbury turned the Knicks from a .350 team to an above .500 team, while Pierce's team was consistently a .400 team with him all year. Of course we don't know how bad the Celtics would be without Pierce, though.
Anyway, it's much harder to get an all-star PG than an all-star SG; so I wouldn't even consider this trade.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 08/31/2004 08:59:41]
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/31/2004  10:12 AM
Both the knicks and the Celts changed their complextions so much that its hard to say what the impact was or was not.

If Lafrenz returns to form, it really changes so much for them.

As would a return for h20 for us.

New coaches and a ton of player changes are huge factors.

I would not trade Marbury for Paul Pierce or Vince Carter. TT can go anytime.
lj02knicks
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #692

8/31/2004  5:41 PM
i am a big fan of marbury and i think he's a great player, but come on this is Paul Pierce we're talking about. I would trade Marbury for Pierce anyday.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/31/2004  6:06 PM
Posted by lj02knicks:

i am a big fan of marbury and i think he's a great player, but come on this is Paul Pierce we're talking about. I would trade Marbury for Pierce anyday.

you speak as if Paul Pierce were simply in another league...i don't agree...i think both players are about on a par as far as talent goes...Marbury is considered in the top 3 PG's in the NBA...is Pierce a top 3 SG? i would probably rank Kobe, T-Mac & Iverson before i ranked Pierce, so i don't think you can say that Pierce is just clearly in a different league than Marbury is...it's alot harder to acquire a PG of Marbury's talents than a swingman of Paul Pierce's talent imho...the deal would have to make sense for the Knicks for me to make that trade...in other words, if Jamal Crawford were to prove that he could handle the PG duties on a fulltime basis, then i would be more open to that type of trade...but it's not a no-brainer decision like some of you are making it out to seem to me.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/31/2004  6:31 PM
Marbury was a top 4 PG in the NBA last season. I suppose fans of Kidd, B. Diddy, and Stevie Franchise can make some arguments.
Pierce was a top 3 SG in the NBA last season-- and while Kobe/T-Mac are great, I don't think there's a huge disparity in overall ability (they're both a little more athletic).

I like Crawford's value as a PG--- especially when paired w/ a swingman who's been known to distribute the ball (Pierce has averaged 4.4 and 5.1apg over the past 2 seasons).

Here's a good question: Is Moochie Norris good enough to start at PG for the Celtics today?! I think he has good team QB skills...

Is there some junk on Boston's roster that'd be more useful to us than Moochie? (no disrespect to him, but we might want Marbury, Crawford, and Penny playing ahead of him at PG-- and perhaps Brewer too!)
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/31/2004  7:01 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Silverfuel:

3) Pierce is a better player than Stephon but a backcourt of Stephon Craw is much better than a backcourt od Craw and Houston.
I don't think he helped his team more last year than Marbury helped the Knicks. Marbury turned the Knicks from a .350 team to an above .500 team, while Pierce's team was consistently a .400 team with him all year. Of course we don't know how bad the Celtics would be without Pierce, though.
Anyway, it's much harder to get an all-star PG than an all-star SG; so I wouldn't even consider this trade.
I think Marbury had a better team around him last year than Pierce did. Pierce is a better NBA player than Marbury. He is just taller and stronger than Marbury so its easier for him to score.

Of course Marbury is a scoring machine and can drive on anyone but Pierce can do that too. He can also shoot on and over anyone playing PG, SG and SF.

If the trade was offered, I wouldn't do it. I have always been a Marbury fan so I would keep him and get him another player to work with. Pierce is a franchise, Marbury is just a notch under being a franchise player but neither can do it alone just like McGrady couldn't do it alone.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Silverfuel
USA
8/31/2004  7:12 PM
Posted by TMS:

i would probably rank Kobe, T-Mac & Iverson before i ranked Pierce......
Iverson is not a better SG than Pierce. I might rank him right after Pierce but definately not better than him. The problem with Marbury, especially when it comes to trading him is how much of a bad rep he has. I have heard everything from "he cannot pass the ball" to "he is just born to lose."

Now this is obviously ridiculous but over 70% of NBA fans I have asked have ranked Marbury after Tony Parker in a team game. TONY PARKER!! The same player that got destroyed by Stephon in a playoff series!?!

Based on pure talent, Marbury and Pierce are very closely matched but Pierce is taller and does have as much bad publicity as Marbury has had in the last 6 years.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/31/2004  7:28 PM
As someone else said, Ainge is building his team around Pierce just like Isiah's building around Marbury.

If both teams are lottery-bound this year, maybe next year something like this would happen, but as of now, it's a waste of time to discuss since both guys are the centerpieces of their respective teams.
#Knickstaps
Silverfuel
USA
8/31/2004  7:31 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

As someone else said, Ainge is building his team around Pierce just like Isiah's building around Marbury.
That was me =) but it still doesnt change the fact that Pierce is better than Marbury. Its Off-season. This is the season of the ridiculous posters. I enjoy it more than reading about Mourning and Barkley.
Celtics looking for PG

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy