[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Right now, Kanter is making Willy expendable
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/29/2017  9:55 PM
Kanter cant pass like Willy, but damn do KP and Kanter look scary as a tandem at times.

For those of you who want a high draft pick. If Kanter keeps this up (defense or not right now) trade Willy for a first rounder, and package both picks to move up in the draft or just keep both picks, depending on where the Knicks finish.

Kanter would have to keep playing at this level though. Might be doable because its not about Willy underperforming, but Kanter exceeding expectations. Shouldnt affect his trade value losing the starting gig to Kanter.

AUTOADVERT
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

10/29/2017  9:59 PM
As Walt mentioned in a previous thread, I wonder how this affects KP's performances though. I mean thats an old time friend with a lot of potential you are trading away.
The Future is Bright!
TPercy

10/29/2017  10:02 PM
I think you trade OQuinn once Noah gets back. I will be sad to see him go, but I think that brings us the most good out of the options available.
The Future is Bright!
GustavBahler

10/29/2017  10:03 PM
TPercy wrote:As Walt mentioned in a previous thread, I wonder how this affects KP's performances though. I mean thats an old time friend with a lot of potential you are trading away.

Thats a good point. Im guessing if KP sees Kanter playing like this for the most part, and they're winning games, he would understand it was a decision for the best of the team. As long as Kanter clearly beats out Willy for the starting job, and plays well enough to keep it. Im sure KP sees how well they play together. Just started passing to each other. If they get that down, look out.

Jmpasq
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4182

10/29/2017  10:04 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Kanter cant pass like Willy, but damn do KP and Kanter look scary as a tandem at times.

For those of you who want a high draft pick. If Kanter keeps this up (defense or not right now) trade Willy for a first rounder, and package both picks to move up in the draft or just keep both picks, depending on where the Knicks finish.

Kanter would have to keep playing at this level though. Might be doable because its not about Willy underperforming, but Kanter exceeding expectations. Shouldnt affect his trade value losing the starting gig to Kanter.

there is minutes for all 3. We can dominate games on the inside

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/29/2017  10:07 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Kanter cant pass like Willy, but damn do KP and Kanter look scary as a tandem at times.

Yeah i'm not sweetin Willy being on the roster. We know a trade is coming eventually but i'm thinking KOQ is the guy that gets moved.

GustavBahler

10/29/2017  10:10 PM
TPercy wrote:I think you trade OQuinn once Noah gets back. I will be sad to see him go, but I think that brings us the most good out of the options available.

If Doncic of Porter Jr. are the real deal, trading Willy at this stage in his career, with his first team resume, salary, great stats as a rook, that would be enough to get some teams interested in giving up a 1st rounder.

Wont venture a guess as to where in the 1st, or wether or not it would be protected. Something to add to a deal to trade up. Starting to have second thoughts about moving Oquinn. He fits in well with this rotation. Noah is going to need the minutes as well.

stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

10/29/2017  10:10 PM
Given Billy’s Contract it’d be crazy to trade him unless it’s a draft day move up deal to score Doncic.
The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
GustavBahler

10/29/2017  10:12 PM
nixluva wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

Yeah i'm not sweetin Willy being on the roster. We know a trade is coming eventually but i'm thinking KOQ is the guy that gets moved.

If Willy can step up his D, he would make more of a case for himself. Right now its a wash between them defensively, I believe.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
10/29/2017  10:20 PM
Willy is not going anywhere. KOQ will be the one traded. Lance Thomas and CLEE are the other 2 that will be traded as well.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/29/2017  10:21 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
TPercy wrote:I think you trade OQuinn once Noah gets back. I will be sad to see him go, but I think that brings us the most good out of the options available.

If Doncic of Porter Jr. are the real deal, trading Willy at this stage in his career, with his first team resume, salary, great stats as a rook, that would be enough to get some teams interested in giving up a 1st rounder.

Wont venture a guess as to where in the 1st, or wether or not it would be protected. Something to add to a deal to trade up. Starting to have second thoughts about moving Oquinn. He fits in well with this rotation. Noah is going to need the minutes as well.

Willy is just to valuable to give up for those exact reasons. Sometimes you need to discipline to NOT do the easy thing tho chase the next shiny object

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
TPercy

10/29/2017  10:21 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
TPercy wrote:As Walt mentioned in a previous thread, I wonder how this affects KP's performances though. I mean thats an old time friend with a lot of potential you are trading away.

Thats a good point. Im guessing if KP sees Kanter playing like this for the most part, and they're winning games, he would understand it was a decision for the best of the team. As long as Kanter clearly beats out Willy for the starting job, and plays well enough to keep it. Im sure KP sees how well they play together. Just started passing to each other. If they get that down, look out.

That would make sense if he see's it that way.

The Future is Bright!
TPercy

10/29/2017  10:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/29/2017  10:24 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Willy is just to valuable to give up for those exact reasons. Sometimes you need to discipline to NOT do the easy thing tho chase the next shiny object

Well...depends....I'm not sold on Porter yet, but I would defo consider Doncic for Willy.

Correction: I will trade Doncic for Willy without thinking. However, its still way to early in this season before we start asking these types of questions though its very tempting.

The Future is Bright!
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

10/29/2017  10:25 PM
I see them trading KOQ. If he plays like he did last year, you can see a playoff team offering us a decent pick, even a late #1.

As has been said, I really wonder about KP's reaction to trading Willy for the long term, but we forget so soon how good he was last year

Not sure what they do with Noah unless he suddenly learns how to score. He makes it 4 on 5 when he's in the lineup, and his D is not what it once was. Would like to see do better, but long term, having KP, Kanter, and Willy as your 3 major bigs is better for the team.

Kanter has not been terrible on D- maybe because of the weight lost. Willy is a better shot blocker, but neither will ever be a grade a defender.

Kanter really is a banger inside with a lot of goodies in his post game, even with limited vertical ability. I also think he really wants to stay in NY because of the city's ethnic identity. Being only 25 also puts him at a good age to grow with KP.

Nice problem to have, though.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
GustavBahler

10/29/2017  10:27 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Kanter is bringing more substance than that of a shiny object. If Kanter keeps putting in one dominating performance after another, it would be foolish IMO not to consider biting the bullet and paying him.

That Noah deal really F'ed us. But between Noah's defense, passing and rebounding (we hope) and Kanter's offense and rebounding, Willy becomes more valuable as a means of shoring up other areas, like SF, or PG, depending on wether or not Frank rises above being a quality 6th man, which is what he is playing like right now,

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

10/29/2017  10:29 PM
Im not a huge Kanter fan. Yes he is great at scoring inside but his defensive is downright terrible and he cant pass. In willys limited time he has still shown why trading him just for the sake of it is a mistake.
GustavBahler

10/29/2017  10:29 PM
TPercy wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Well...depends....I'm not sold on Porter yet, but I would defo consider Doncic for Willy.

Correction: I will trade Doncic for Willy without thinking. However, its still way to early in this season before we start asking these types of questions though its very tempting.

Like I said, if this keeps up. Its something worth the Knicks monitoring ImO. Im sure they are pleasantly surprised with Kanter's effect on the offense.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/29/2017  10:30 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Kanter is bringing more substance than that of a shiny object. If Kanter keeps putting in one dominating performance after another, it would be foolish IMO not to consider biting the bullet and paying him.

That Noah deal really F'ed us. But between Noah's defense, passing and rebounding (we hope) and Kanter's offense and rebounding, Willy becomes more valuable as a means of shoring up other areas, like SF, or PG, depending on wether or not Frank rises above being a quality 6th man, which is what he is playing like right now,

By shiny object, I was alluding to future draft picks you would get for Willy

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Welpee
Member: #6239

10/29/2017  10:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/29/2017  10:41 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:I see them trading KOQ. If he plays like he did last year, you can see a playoff team offering us a decent pick, even a late #1.

As has been said, I really wonder about KP's reaction to trading Willy for the long term, but we forget so soon how good he was last year

Not sure what they do with Noah unless he suddenly learns how to score. He makes it 4 on 5 when he's in the lineup, and his D is not what it once was. Would like to see do better, but long term, having KP, Kanter, and Willy as your 3 major bigs is better for the team.

Kanter has not been terrible on D- maybe because of the weight lost. Willy is a better shot blocker, but neither will ever be a grade a defender.

Kanter really is a banger inside with a lot of goodies in his post game, even with limited vertical ability. I also think he really wants to stay in NY because of the city's ethnic identity. Being only 25 also puts him at a good age to grow with KP.

Nice problem to have, though.

1) I agree, KOQ has to be the odd man out when Noah comes back. Hopefully a playoff team (i.e. Portland or Houston) could use another big and is willing to part with a 1st round pick, though I suspect we would need to add more than KOQ to get a pick that high. But also keep in mind, there's a chance Robin Lopez may be on the market too if the Bulls continue to be horrible. He would definitely draw more interest than KOQ if that were to happen.

2) Noah needs to both accept and embrace coming off the bench. Putting his contract aside, if Noah is healthy and can bounce back to be a percentage of what he once was he can still help us. If he's playing limited minutes but can go all out in those minutes, I can still see Noah being an asset.

3) I really think we should keep Kanter unless we have a real sweet deal on the table for him. But one of the other bigs definitely has to be moved and its likely not going to be Noah. I see a playoff team being more interested in the vet KOQ than Willy, the issue is what would they be willing to trade.

Welpee
Member: #6239

10/29/2017  10:39 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:Im not a huge Kanter fan. Yes he is great at scoring inside but his defensive is downright terrible and he cant pass. In willys limited time he has still shown why trading him just for the sake of it is a mistake.
His rep has been worse than his performance on D so far this season from what I have witnessed.
Right now, Kanter is making Willy expendable

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy