[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I hate the idea of tanking
Author Thread
OldFan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #446
10/28/2017  12:50 PM
Seems like tanking comes up in almost every thread and I think it's a bad idea.

I'm a Knick fan, but I'm also a basketball fan. Who wants to watch a league where 20% of the teams are tanking?

I want to see my team compete. I want to see the opposing teams compete.

I think the NBA should be doing everything in their power to remove the benefits of tanking. It degrades the game.

AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/28/2017  1:39 PM
Me too. People are obsessed with tanking. Meanwhile, some of today's younger stars like Giannis and kawhi are drafted 15th overall, gobert in the late 1st, and Jokic in the 2nd round.
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

10/28/2017  2:11 PM
OldFan wrote:Seems like tanking comes up in almost every thread and I think it's a bad idea.

I'm a Knick fan, but I'm also a basketball fan. Who wants to watch a league where 20% of the teams are tanking?

That's kind of irrelevant. No matter what, 20% of the teams are to be a very bad. You'll never have a league (the NBA, NFL, MLB) in which a decent percentage of the teams aren't very bad, regardless of their intent.

In 1986-87, the Knicks, Nets, Clippers, Spurs and Kings all won less than 30 games (23% of the league). Just part of the game.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

10/28/2017  2:17 PM
This year is the last year teams can tank
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
smackeddog
Member: #883
10/28/2017  2:51 PM
Come up with a better idea to get free elite talent. This is the last year you can tank anyways
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

10/28/2017  3:06 PM
Fans talk about tanking...a team can "tank" if its owners bring in certain players for a coach who he HAS to play, OR ordering a coach not to play certain players, but coaches are not generally willing to tank, and I don't think players will ever do it (for the most part).
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Welpee
Member: #6239

10/28/2017  3:07 PM
smackeddog wrote:Come up with a better idea to get free elite talent. This is the last year you can tank anyways
Just look at the list of elite talent NOT drafted in the first couple of picks. If you know how to scout talent you don't have to purposely be as bad as possible to get franchise talent in the draft. Everybody is projecting how good Philly is going to be and how all of these years of tanking will eventually pay off. Still waiting.
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

10/28/2017  3:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/28/2017  5:10 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
OldFan wrote:Seems like tanking comes up in almost every thread and I think it's a bad idea.

That's kind of irrelevant. No matter what, 20% of the teams are to be a very bad. You'll never have a league (the NBA, NFL, MLB) in which a decent percentage of the teams aren't very bad, regardless of their intent.

In 1986-87, the Knicks, Nets, Clippers, Spurs and Kings all won less than 30 games (23% of the league). Just part of the game.

Its not irrelevant. Its his opinion. And he was commenting on a couple of points.

Funny how your MO is to take parts of the post and try to make some other point to prove you somehow know more. What's irrelevant is posting the above when a guy comments on:

How he does not agree with tanking. (Which is a valid position)
Doesn't want to watch a league where 20% are tanking. (So he knows the percentage but thanks for the 1986 ref)
How he does not want to watch his team tank but rather compete. (Most fans do)
Thinks the league should find a way to address this. (Which has been discussed and they did)

And the fact that 20% of the league is bad does not address the point of "Intentionally losing" i.e. Tanking.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

10/28/2017  3:53 PM

I think the NBA should be doing everything in their power to remove the benefits of tanking. It degrades the game.

Agree it is not good for a team to tank from the start. However, dont agreee that the Knicks are in tank mode. They are definately younger but thats just the path they feel they need to be on. We have a deep athletic squad. Grant it, all guys that have something to prove and have yet to do so but they are decent NBA players. A couple are even fringe stars. JH is definately trying to win. Full Tank mode alert would be Noah, LT, Mcbuckets, Baker and Jack starting.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

10/28/2017  4:01 PM
I tend to agree, but I want to get another player on par with KP

I heard an interview with a Philly reporter. He said in his entire career, across all sports, he never saw an issue divide generations the way tanking and The Process did. I found that interesting

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
10/28/2017  4:15 PM
We're not tanking, we're just bad.

We finally have management that realizes we're bad, and that we have to start rebuilding the right way.

Which includes keeping our draft picks, and building with youth.

That's not tanking.

Now- maybe you can say at the end of the year, you have KP dinged up, makes sense to sit him vs. play him. That is tanking.

But, that is small time.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

10/28/2017  4:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/28/2017  4:18 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:

Agree it is not good for a team to tank from the start. However, dont agreee that the Knicks are in tank mode. They are definately younger but thats just the path they feel they need to be on. We have a deep athletic squad. Grant it, all guys that have something to prove and have yet to do so but they are decent NBA players. A couple are even fringe stars. JH is definately trying to win. Full Tank mode alert would be Noah, LT, Mcbuckets, Baker and Jack starting.

tank mode would of been taking Demare Carrol and a first round pick instead of signing Tim Hardaway, or taking Deng and Deangelo Russel instead of Hardaway. Tank mode we are better than this oddly enough.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

10/28/2017  4:31 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:I tend to agree, but I want to get another player on par with KP

I heard an interview with a Philly reporter. He said in his entire career, across all sports, he never saw an issue divide generations the way tanking and The Process did. I found that interesting

Hard to accept tanking in the beginning of the season...but if there seems to be no chance of a playoff spot with 15 games left...things change.

We love KP, but would we rather have Towns?

Would you rather have had a chance to take certain other players over Frank?

Curry or Hill? I know there were others we could have taken, but we all wanted Curry.

I get upset when we lose now, even though I can see that in the big picture we might want to lose and get a top 3 pick. Hard not to want to win... and if this is true for a fan, you know players and coaches don't want to lose games for a higher draft pick.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/28/2017  4:32 PM
smackeddog wrote:Come up with a better idea to get free elite talent. This is the last year you can tank anyways
its not free. tanking comes with a cost. Besides we already tried tanking and it was worth the try. Didnt get KAT but we got the next best guy in KP. That was the tank player. You know the one putting up like 26/8 at age 22. Now its up to the GM to develop, to scout and add talent and to manage our cap. THJ has a lot to prove, so thats a dud so far but I like this draft crop.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/28/2017  4:33 PM
franco12 wrote:We're not tanking, we're just bad.

We finally have management that realizes we're bad, and that we have to start rebuilding the right way.

Which includes keeping our draft picks, and building with youth.

That's not tanking.

Now- maybe you can say at the end of the year, you have KP dinged up, makes sense to sit him vs. play him. That is tanking.

But, that is small time.

a little premature? Time will tell
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
OldFan
10/28/2017  4:43 PM
Knickoftime wrote:

THere is a difference between being bad and losing intentionally. A team that's tanking is going to lose some games it could have won and it going to make some games blowouts that may have been closely fought and entertaining.

Watching a game where one team is not trying to win is irrelevant.

OldFan
10/28/2017  4:48 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:

I think we have a disconnect. I wasn't commenting on if the Knicks were or were not tanking. I was saying as a fan I don't want the Knicks or any other team to tank. I want a league with teams playing to win.

It seems many posters are on board that tanking is ok, for me, it takes away from my enjoyment of the game.

OldFan
10/28/2017  4:55 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:I tend to agree, but I want to get another player on par with KP

Hard to accept tanking in the beginning of the season...but if there seems to be no chance of a playoff spot with 15 games left...things change.

We love KP, but would we rather have Towns?

Would you rather have had a chance to take certain other players over Frank?

Curry or Hill? I know there were others we could have taken, but we all wanted Curry.

I get upset when we lose now, even though I can see that in the big picture we might want to lose and get a top 3 pick. Hard not to want to win... and if this is true for a fan, you know players and coaches don't want to lose games for a higher draft pick.

Tanking is gaming the system and detracts from the game. I want competitive games and I want the worst teams to get the best draft picks - not the teams that were most willing to tank. Certainly, it better at the end of the season than at the beginning but I don't want to see it at all.

A team out of the playoffs - deciding to see what it's young players can do is legit, but if they're doing it just to try to lose games I'm not onboard.

Knickoftime

10/28/2017  5:32 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Its not irrelevant. Its his opinion. And he was commenting on a couple of points.

Funny how your MO is to take parts of the post and try to make some other point to prove you somehow know more. What's irrelevant is posting the above when a guy comments on:

How he does not agree with tanking. (Which is a valid position)
Doesn't want to watch a league where 20% are tanking. (So he knows the percentage but thanks for the 1986 ref)
How he does not want to watch his team tank but rather compete. (Most fans do)
Thinks the league should find a way to address this. (Which has been discussed and they did)

And the fact that 20% of the league is bad does not address the point of "Intentionally losing" i.e. Tanking.

So watching a team lose 57 games by an average of 12 points is better if a team is trying as opposed to watching them lose 57 games by an average of 12 points if they're tanking??

I was making a pooint made later. First of all the word has become way overused and the idea over estimated.

Two, it really doesn't affect the quality of basketbal actually played.

Knicks have been terrible for years. I don't think that they were trying and awful anyway made them any more pleasing to watch.

You?

Knickoftime

10/28/2017  5:35 PM
OldFan wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

I think we have a disconnect. I wasn't commenting on if the Knicks were or were not tanking. I was saying as a fan I don't want the Knicks or any other team to tank. I want a league with teams playing to win.

It seems many posters are on board that tanking is ok, for me, it takes away from my enjoyment of the game.

If they know they are inferior, what's the point?

How do you incentivize "trying" and not punishing teams that try but are god awful anyway?

I hate the idea of tanking

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy