[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

mortgaging the future
Author Thread
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/30/2004  4:13 AM
We all saw it coming, the heat will now shckle his future to o'neal.

They'll get 2 good years from him and then, his contract will lead them deep in the hole.
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/9527637.htm

• He said in the coming months, he would like to extend O'Neal's contract, which has two years left but an opt-out after next season. ''We've had long discussions about it -- it's going to be a partnership,'' Riley said. ``We have to make sure we keep Shaq here and healthy for the next four or five years.''
AUTOADVERT
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/30/2004  6:02 AM
Better their future then ours
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/30/2004  6:52 AM
If the Dolan could have traded for Shaq, he would have done it in a nanosecond.
Kwazimodal
8/30/2004  7:18 AM
Yes he would have,but if that team left us with essentially the team Layden left us for the next 3-4 years I would rather he didnt.If it was for Shaq in his 20s,that would be another story..
raven
Canada
8/30/2004  9:22 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

I honnestly don't see why. please, explain.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/30/2004  9:29 AM
Posted by raven:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

I think his point was that we're getting a lot of good young talented players. Mortgaging our future is the last thing you could argue Isiah has done. In contrast, the Heat gave up a lot of talented players who were a part of their future to get Shaq.
raven
Canada
8/30/2004  11:32 AM
I must have misunderstood. I thought he said their future was better than ours. There linked to oneal now, and while he'll go downhill quickly though he'll be motivated in the next 2 seasons.

I think the heat is vastly overrated, and that they made a very big mistake by doing that trade.
Kwazimodal
8/30/2004  2:00 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by raven:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

I think his point was that we're getting a lot of good young talented players. Mortgaging our future is the last thing you could argue Isiah has done. In contrast, the Heat gave up a lot of talented players who were a part of their future to get Shaq.

Thanks Bonn,couldnt have said it better myself.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/30/2004  2:26 PM

Guys, I know we all have our KNick rose color glasses on, but im gonna pick the heat to play in the conf. finals in the east. Of course, its hard to say who can be Detroit, but Eddie Jones is overpaid but under rated. He is not the kind of guy that carries a team, but is a real good player whom will do well having a low post player. A trio of Wade-Jones-Shaq is not shabby at all. They lack depth on paper, but that is an area Riles is good at digging up. He gets role players better than any other!

Shaq is very motivated now and will be the league MVP. He will report in the best shape in years, has lost a lot of weight and like Kobe, wants the world to see.

Barring any big injuries, I'll stick to that prediction. I hope its the knicks they meet!

Those Vangundy boys have two very nice Centers in that family!
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
8/30/2004  2:36 PM
Posted by raven:

I must have misunderstood. I thought he said their future was better than ours. There linked to oneal now, and while he'll go downhill quickly though he'll be motivated in the next 2 seasons.

I think the heat is vastly overrated, and that they made a very big mistake by doing that trade.
could'nt agree more. they gave up almost there entire future w/the exception of wade.
not that shaq and kobe need eachother to be great players, but as they will realize soon, they do need eachother to win. you never know what you have till' it's gone.
heat:overrated.
mintyfreshness33
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #586
USA
8/30/2004  2:50 PM
did u see shaq at the vma? diesel looked real fit, and he promised a championship.
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
8/30/2004  3:01 PM
yea i did see shaq last night at the vma's...he looked in shape and it looked like he lost some pounds
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/30/2004  3:08 PM
Shaq gets bored easy. He is very dangerous if he is not. He has something to prove. The worst thing for the heat is if they win a championship right away, then he will get bored, and his toe will hurt.
toodarkmark
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #515
USA
8/30/2004  3:15 PM
This team was in the finals and there were empty seats in the stands. Miami isn't only about winning a championship, but the NBA is a business. If they win 50 games for 3 years, but sell out often cause Shaq is on the team, it means more than some dumb ass pick and some cap room. The concept of mortgaging the future is also a joke. No team is guranteed anything if you play it safe. Miami is FAR better off with a superstar like Shaq than some ok, but not superstar players.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
8/30/2004  4:10 PM
Posted by toodarkmark:

This team was in the finals and there were empty seats in the stands. Miami isn't only about winning a championship, but the NBA is a business. If they win 50 games for 3 years, but sell out often cause Shaq is on the team, it means more than some dumb ass pick and some cap room. The concept of mortgaging the future is also a joke. No team is guranteed anything if you play it safe. Miami is FAR better off with a superstar like Shaq than some ok, but not superstar players.
it's like that w/all florida teams. including the marlins. it was a good business move that's about it. the heat owner would rather have a money maker (shaq) in AAArena as appposed to a winning team. just because shaq says "were going to win a championship blah blah blah" does'nt mean jack. he'll soon see what it's like to not have kobe bailing him & his toe out.
remember what happened to the marlins after the 97' championship? they completely dismanteled the team. if i were a florida sports fan, i would completely disown all florida sports and move. suks to be them.

actually, the only acception are the dolphins. but they do have tradition and dolphins fans are about the only die-hard sports fans that go to all the games.
sorry to go on & on about this but it's just so different in NY where i can actually remember the last time the garden was'nt sold out for a knicks game. and that's a team that did'nt make tha playoffs for two years. that's love.
mortgaging the future

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy