10/28/2017  12:06 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:
Zebo13 wrote:Frank's effect he had on our defense was astounding. He guarded and contested well vs every position. Excellent help defense. He honestly looked better than any rookie I've seen play overall. He showed signs of greatness people. I couldn't be more thrilled with what we saw. Of course he's learning and very young but there is so much potential. Thanks Phil.

Kanter is a beast. He can take a quick pull on some hard coaching (go JH) and come back beasting harder.

KP of course looks better and better.

Jack was just what we need right now.

I hope THJ can keep up his somewhat progress.

Have you watched any other NBA games this year? Simmons in Philly, Tatum in Boston. Come on with being such a homer. Frank showed some nice signs but better than ANY rookie this year? Are you related to Tommy Heinsohn by any chance?

LMAO!!! So True! Some of us need to relax a little....After 1 game FRank is the best rookie in the league and after 4 games, Hardaway is the worst player in the NBA...Its a marathon. Players are streaky so lets let the season play out....

Agree. I LOVED Frank's performance last night. But I have yet to see him even consider a layup. I believe its a confidence issue. Whatever the reason, I hope Frank starts showing that part of his game, or developing it. I know its early, but its essential.

Confidence issue? It's called not forcing the issue. He pulled up when he needed too and he hit a nice floater over the defense when he needed. The kid only played 20 mins. You know, I recall one of our best playmakers in franchise history not being able to take it to the rim at will either. But he developed other moves that helped score in the paint and he was still able to effectively run the team. You remember that guy? Former rookie of the year and all-star? Not saying Frank's career will shape out like that guy, just that there's no 🍪 cutter way to find success in this league as point guard.

I watched every game, and remember Mark Jackson being able to get to the rim with a sick dribble, spin move, among others. And the teardrop. Could even dunk for about 5 minutes, lol.

Several times in the game, Frank had the lane and hesitated, gave up the ball. A 19 year old, new to the NBA, USA, still not entirely comfortable with the speed of the NBA game. Who still isn't confident enough in his ability to get to the rim. You make it sound like its a slur. We knew this kid was raw, at least I did.

There is a cookie cutter way of getting better at driving to the rim, practice.

I watched nearly every game and remember Mark having to use the tear drop in the half court because he couldn't consistently get the rim or get any other type of shot off. The only time I remember him getting to the rim consistently was in transition with sputtering helicopter dunk move lol I'm not making it a slur, I'm just saying b in Derrick Rose off the dribble isn't a pre-requisite for being a good point guard. Frank has shown he can get into the paint of the PnR. In last night's game he pulled up when he needed to and he showed a nice tear drop in the end. I didn't see him as being nervous. He made the right move and took what the defense gave him.

I believe you are selling Mark Jackson's ability to get to the rim, short. Not his strong suit, but he had some game there, more than Frank right now. Frank is more athletic as well, want to see him make the most of it.

I saw Frank more than once see the lane, pass up on the lane, and give up the ball. He made a motion once like he was going to drive, but reset and passed. He had some chances, still not comfortable enough to drive. Frank is 19, if he had that part of his game down, I believe we would have seen it by now, somewhere.

I dont believe Frank is waiting for the right moment to take it to the rim more. I believe he is working on getting to that moment where he can, comfortably.

A lot of our losses came from PGs who could not drive and dish, or drive at all. Ive seen more than enough evidence (on this team alone) that this needs to change. I want to see Frank being a part of that change, as soon as he is able.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think a lot of our losses came from the fact that we're not a good team. We had one the league's best penetratorsI last year and we where a crap show. I think Frank's ability to draw fouls will be much more important than his ability to get all the way to the rim for layups. It will come...at least I hope. I thought he made the right decisions and didn't force it in the lane for turnovers. His pull-up game was said to be one of the most advanced parts of his game coming in. We'll see....
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/28/2017  12:15 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:
Zebo13 wrote:Frank's effect he had on our defense was astounding. He guarded and contested well vs every position. Excellent help defense. He honestly looked better than any rookie I've seen play overall. He showed signs of greatness people. I couldn't be more thrilled with what we saw. Of course he's learning and very young but there is so much potential. Thanks Phil.

Kanter is a beast. He can take a quick pull on some hard coaching (go JH) and come back beasting harder.

Have you watched any other NBA games this year? Simmons in Philly, Tatum in Boston. Come on with being such a homer. Frank showed some nice signs but better than ANY rookie this year? Are you related to Tommy Heinsohn by any chance?

LMAO!!! So True! Some of us need to relax a little....After 1 game FRank is the best rookie in the league and after 4 games, Hardaway is the worst player in the NBA...Its a marathon. Players are streaky so lets let the season play out....

Agree. I LOVED Frank's performance last night. But I have yet to see him even consider a layup. I believe its a confidence issue. Whatever the reason, I hope Frank starts showing that part of his game, or developing it. I know its early, but its essential.

Confidence issue? It's called not forcing the issue. He pulled up when he needed too and he hit a nice floater over the defense when he needed. The kid only played 20 mins. You know, I recall one of our best playmakers in franchise history not being able to take it to the rim at will either. But he developed other moves that helped score in the paint and he was still able to effectively run the team. You remember that guy? Former rookie of the year and all-star? Not saying Frank's career will shape out like that guy, just that there's no 🍪 cutter way to find success in this league as point guard.

I watched every game, and remember Mark Jackson being able to get to the rim with a sick dribble, spin move, among others. And the teardrop. Could even dunk for about 5 minutes, lol.

Several times in the game, Frank had the lane and hesitated, gave up the ball. A 19 year old, new to the NBA, USA, still not entirely comfortable with the speed of the NBA game. Who still isn't confident enough in his ability to get to the rim. You make it sound like its a slur. We knew this kid was raw, at least I did.

I watched nearly every game and remember Mark having to use the tear drop in the half court because he couldn't consistently get the rim or get any other type of shot off. The only time I remember him getting to the rim consistently was in transition with sputtering helicopter dunk move lol I'm not making it a slur, I'm just saying b in Derrick Rose off the dribble isn't a pre-requisite for being a good point guard. Frank has shown he can get into the paint of the PnR. In last night's game he pulled up when he needed to and he showed a nice tear drop in the end. I didn't see him as being nervous. He made the right move and took what the defense gave him.

I believe you are selling Mark Jackson's ability to get to the rim, short. Not his strong suit, but he had some game there, more than Frank right now. Frank is more athletic as well, want to see him make the most of it.

I saw Frank more than once see the lane, pass up on the lane, and give up the ball. He made a motion once like he was going to drive, but reset and passed. He had some chances, still not comfortable enough to drive. Frank is 19, if he had that part of his game down, I believe we would have seen it by now, somewhere.

I dont believe Frank is waiting for the right moment to take it to the rim more. I believe he is working on getting to that moment where he can, comfortably.

A lot of our losses came from PGs who could not drive and dish, or drive at all. Ive seen more than enough evidence (on this team alone) that this needs to change. I want to see Frank being a part of that change, as soon as he is able.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think a lot of our losses came from the fact that we're not a good team. We had one the league's best penetratorsI last year and we where a crap show. I think Frank's ability to draw fouls will be much more important than his ability to get all the way to the rim for layups. It will come...at least I hope. I thought he made the right decisions and didn't force it in the lane for turnovers. His pull-up game was said to be one of the most advanced parts of his game coming in. We'll see....

Not saying the PG play was entirely responsible, certainly the defense has been an issue as well as coaching.

When the other team knows your PGs wont take it to the rim, it makes it easier on their defense. At some point if Frank doesnt start taking it to the rim once in a while, word will get around, and they will try to force him to put the ball on the floor and play the passing lanes.

How Frank responds will determine his ceiling.

OldFan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #446
10/28/2017  12:17 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:

A lot of our losses came from PGs who could not drive and dish, or drive at all. I've seen more than enough evidence (on this team alone) that this needs to change. I want to see Frank being a part of that change, as soon as he is able.

I think we had a lot of losses from guards that could drive and then wouldn't dish also.

Coming into the league with the ability to drive at will is great - but I think it also has the potential to hamper the development of other aspects of the game. Too easy to become a shoot first point guard.

I'd rather have a point guard who is first and foremost can run the offense and is a willing passer. I think as Frank get physically stronger his ability to drive will improve - but I think seeing the court and setting up the offense is more important.

GustavBahler

10/28/2017  12:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/28/2017  12:38 PM
OldFan wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:

A lot of our losses came from PGs who could not drive and dish, or drive at all. I've seen more than enough evidence (on this team alone) that this needs to change. I want to see Frank being a part of that change, as soon as he is able.

I think we had a lot of losses from guards that could drive and then wouldn't dish also.

Coming into the league with the ability to drive at will is great - but I think it also has the potential to hamper the development of other aspects of the game. Too easy to become a shoot first point guard.

I'd rather have a point guard who is first and foremost can run the offense and is a willing passer. I think as Frank get physically stronger his ability to drive will improve - but I think seeing the court and setting up the offense is more important.

Rose is the only PG who could consistently get to the rim, but he was also the biggest ball hog in the league last season. Go down the list of PGs for years (going back before Phil) could barely get to the rim. Im pretty sure we would have won more games, if that werent the case.

We had a PG like Pablo. Smart, unselfish, two way player, but who did not try to get to the rim. Pablo just wanted to pass. Many times he would give up the ball, force someone to make a tougher shot. He had no confidence in his ability to get to the rim for even a layup. I would rather that Frank work from day one to avoid that fate. I believe he is as we speak. Hopefully it will pay dividends.

Ideally I believe we need a starting PG who can do both, get to the rim and pass. I believe elite teams would capitalize on Frank being unwilling to drive, if the Knicks were in the hunt.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

10/28/2017  1:25 PM
All this talk about getting to the rim. Just BS. If your center Kanter is packing it in the paint and KP is getting all kinds of shots in the paint at will, there’s no need for a rookie guard to drive. KP got stronger in the offseason. So will Frank. After his first game people want him to drive like Derrick Rose smh. Let’s be clear that Kyrie and steph the best pgs in the game win a lot more than anyone else and they rarely drive because they have a sweet outside shot. Westbrook is one injury away from becoming a tier 2 guard
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
GustavBahler

10/28/2017  1:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/28/2017  1:39 PM
Cartman718 wrote:All this talk about getting to the rim. Just BS. If your center Kanter is packing it in the paint and KP is getting all kinds of shots in the paint at will, there's no need for a rookie guard to drive. KP got stronger in the offseason. So will Frank. After his first game people want him to drive like Derrick Rose smh. Let's be clear that Kyrie and steph the best pgs in the game win a lot more than anyone else and they rarely drive because they have a sweet outside shot. Westbrook is one injury away from becoming a tier 2 guard

All this putting words in other posters' mouths is just BS. No one expects Frank to be Derrick Rose his rookie season, or ever. I would like to see Frank work on getting to the rim as part of his game. Frank not having this ability as a starter would make him more of an exception to the rule.

I believe Frank wants to drive as well. You can tell it was on his mind, but he isnt ready to try yet. It doesnt have to be all or nothing. Just enough to keep the defense honest. No one is calling the season on him.

Cartman718

10/28/2017  1:59 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:All this talk about getting to the rim. Just BS. If your center Kanter is packing it in the paint and KP is getting all kinds of shots in the paint at will, there's no need for a rookie guard to drive. KP got stronger in the offseason. So will Frank. After his first game people want him to drive like Derrick Rose smh. Let's be clear that Kyrie and steph the best pgs in the game win a lot more than anyone else and they rarely drive because they have a sweet outside shot. Westbrook is one injury away from becoming a tier 2 guard

All this putting words in other posters' mouths is just BS. No one expects Frank to be Derrick Rose his rookie season, or ever. I would like to see Frank work on getting to the rim as part of his game. Frank not having this ability as a starter would make him more of an exception to the rule.

I believe Frank wants to drive as well. You can tell it was on his mind, but he isnt ready to try yet. It doesnt have to be all or nothing. Just enough to keep the defense honest. No one is calling the season on him.

1. He doesn’t need to drive to the rim right now. It’s a long season
2. The Knicks are not doing anything major this season so why not let him work his way up slowly.
3. And by slowly, I mean not calling out what he didn’t do after his very first game!!
4. What makes you think he isn’t working on it and won’t show it off at some point this season?

you and bigreddog are just being negative nancys. The best pgs in the business have their own weaknesses. They’re doing just fine.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
GustavBahler

10/28/2017  2:25 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

1. He doesn't need to drive to the rim right now. It's a long season
2. The Knicks are not doing anything major this season so why not let him work his way up slowly.
3. And by slowly, I mean not calling out what he didn't do after his very first game!!
4. What makes you think he isn't working on it and won't show it off at some point this season?

you and bigreddog are just being negative nancys. The best pgs in the business have their own weaknesses. They're doing just fine.

You only have to look upthread to find examples of my saying that Frank is working on that part of his game, as we speak. If not there are other threads. I mentioned it, because I dont care if it upsets some people to bring up the subject. All I said is Id like to see him drive more, not that he go back to France and start again.

Don't believe my language was anything close to being overly critical. Im sorry if pointing out what Frank needs to work on, after praising his effort, repeatedly, gets you all hot and bothered. Its sensitive susans like you that keep us from talking about his game.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

10/28/2017  2:27 PM
Uptown wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:

Ahhh...think the Ntilikina excess might be in reaction to all the idiots who have attacked a kid who had little or no SL and pre-season time on the court and missed scrimmages but was literally condemned by folks on this forum as the worst pick in the draft?

People have a right to react to this idiocy, even if they do go too far. Has to be expected...and
if he has a so-so game vs the Cavs, the Idiocracy will be back again with the French Inquisition, I can assure you.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

10/28/2017  2:37 PM
martin wrote:

Mentioned that play at 2:43 on twitter...the impact of his wing span was very evident.

Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic Four?

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

10/28/2017  3:45 PM

I just see a KID that needs more confidence in order to get aggressive. He is only 19 and will need some time to learn that its okay for him to dictate the pace and get his offense. Just look at what he did at the end of the game. Looking for guidance on what to do while letting the clock run out. Just learning how things work around here.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

10/28/2017  6:48 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:

Jackson was 22.5 years old starting his rookie year....Frank turned 19 a few months ago.

Picture how Frank might be driving the ball in 3 years.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

10/29/2017  6:52 AM
martin wrote:

I am surprised by this video.
I thought his defense still needs work, but it looks like he already is one of our best defenders.
Cartman718

10/29/2017  11:13 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

3. And by slowly, I mean not calling out what he didn't do after his very first game!!
4. What makes you think he isn't working on it and won't show it off at some point this season?

you and bigreddog are just being negative nancys. The best pgs in the business have their own weaknesses. They're doing just fine.

You only have to look upthread to find examples of my saying that Frank is working on that part of his game, as we speak. If not there are other threads. I mentioned it, because I dont care if it upsets some people to bring up the subject. All I said is Id like to see him drive more, not that he go back to France and start again.

Don't believe my language was anything close to being overly critical. Im sorry if pointing out what Frank needs to work on, after praising his effort, repeatedly, gets you all hot and bothered. Its sensitive susans like you that keep us from talking about his game.

and at what point did you sing his praises for what he did right in his first game? your focus is on the bad negative nancy.

GustavBahler

10/29/2017  11:20 AM
Cartman718 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

and at what point did you sing his praises for what he did right in his first game? your focus is on the bad negative nancy.

Read the game thread Susan......

GameThread: Brooklyn visits

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy