[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The biggest issue is the coaching staff and getting our players to play physical defense
Author Thread
fitzfarm
Posts: 23609
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/28/2010
Member: #3285

10/25/2017  11:19 AM
Biggest difference in last nights loss between the teams was physical defense. Boston was physical even getting away with hand checking for 90 percent of the game. They picked us up before half court and forced our hand on offense, meanwhile our defense we were picking them up at the three point line and in with zero hand checking and no physicality what so ever. They got open three after three easy passes easy ball movement with no disruption.

That’s not a player issue that’s a coaching issue, when you see your opponent getting physical like that you need to return the favor. What is stopping horny from recognizing how they are playing defense and matching the intensity. It’s as simple as telling your players to pick there man up at half court and apply pressure, telling your pg to pick up your opponent as soon as the ball is in play.

Why is the coaching staff not doing there job?

So far the coaching staff gets a F for coaching effort .

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Posts: 54074
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
10/25/2017  11:27 AM
The issue is our ball handlers and the word is out that pressuring them early prevents us from settling into an offense that the team is not comfortable with yet.
If we play "Physical defense" does that expose us to foul trouble, if we are playing tight, can the quick offensive trio of Kyrie, Tatum and Brown then break it quick off the dribble?
Basically returning the strategy does not assure success if our knicks are not executing it well.
Its obvious this team is not executing well and other teams are. Its a lot of things.
Not saying your wrong, just saying matching a strategy is often complicated.
If the strategy is to ensure a top three draft pick next june, its really quite excellent.
Anger sells, don't buy!
fishmike
Posts: 47695
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/19/2002
Member: #298
USA
10/25/2017  11:27 AM
biggest issue is guard play. Sessions and Jack stink. Frank hasnt played. Baker missed preseason and camp and looks terrible. THjr is in slump of slumps. Only Lee has been "OK."

Just go look at the FG% of every guard in the rotation and come back to me. Add to that the passing stinks and ball handling looks on a par with the YMCA.

Knicks have not been good on defense but they are playing hard and have been physical. They have been very good on the boards (that is part of defense). The Knicks arent getting pushed around. They have looked OK there IMO, they are getting slaughtered in the backcourt.

fishmike - Making UltimateKnicks great again
fishmike
Posts: 47695
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/19/2002
Member: #298
USA
10/25/2017  11:29 AM
Nalod wrote:The issue is our ball handlers and the word is out that pressuring them early prevents us from settling into an offense that the team is not comfortable with yet.
If we play "Physical defense" does that expose us to foul trouble, if we are playing tight, can the quick offensive trio of Kyrie, Tatum and Brown then break it quick off the dribble?
Basically returning the strategy does not assure success if our knicks are not executing it well.
Its obvious this team is not executing well and other teams are. Its a lot of things.
Not saying your wrong, just saying matching a strategy is often complicated.
If the strategy is to ensure a top three draft pick next june, its really quite excellent.
ball handlers... exactly. Guard play from top to bottom has been bad. They arent making plays either. Effort on defense has been ok. Guys are playing hard. Just not well.
fishmike - Making UltimateKnicks great again
fitzfarm
Posts: 23609
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/28/2010
Member: #3285

10/25/2017  11:32 AM
Even as a player I never waited for the refs to blow the whistle and control the game, if my opponent was picking me up at inbounds and getting physical I would return the favor tenfold, even to the point where I dared the ref to blow the whistle, I made sure my fouls counted getting in my opponents head. If you don’t match defensive intensity or set the tone and dare your opponent to match your more then likely to get blown out. It’s hard to believe horny doesn’t know this .
EnySpree
Posts: 43899
Alba Posts: 138
Joined: 4/18/2003
Member: #397

10/25/2017  11:33 AM
The issue isn't defeense... our offense is trash right now
You know why I'm here....
mlby1215
Posts: 20245
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 4/16/2017
Member: #6486

10/25/2017  11:36 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/25/2017  11:37 AM
Don't tell Jeff how to play his offense. Even an ex-coach with 11 rings had no right to teach him how to coach.
nixluva
Posts: 55247
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/5/2004
Member: #758
USA
10/25/2017  11:39 AM
fishmike wrote:biggest issue is guard play. Sessions and Jack stink. Frank hasnt played. Baker missed preseason and camp and looks terrible. THjr is in slump of slumps. Only Lee has been "OK."

Just go look at the FG% of every guard in the rotation and come back to me. Add to that the passing stinks and ball handling looks on a par with the YMCA.

Knicks have not been good on defense but they are playing hard and have been physical. They have been very good on the boards (that is part of defense). The Knicks arent getting pushed around. They have looked OK there IMO, they are getting slaughtered in the backcourt.

YUP! The Guard Play is at the top of the problems. You can’t compete with this current level of play. The guards aren’t able to get the team into the right spots quick enough. They’re playing too slow rather than attacking and putting pressure on the D Early before it’s set. The Knicks need more Early Spread PnR or Drag Screens. Not walk it up post ups.

I think starting Kanter is a problem. He’s scoring and hitting the boards but when he’s in there with KP it kills the spacing and he doesn’t help ball movement either. Kanter isn’t the kind of Screen setter and Roll Man that Willy is. I think Willy knows how to play with KP and not get in the way. I think Willy is a more willing passer too.

Caseloads
Posts: 26645
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/29/2001
Member: #41
10/25/2017  11:46 AM
heart and defense guide you when your offense is not going.
fishmike
Posts: 47695
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/19/2002
Member: #298
USA
10/25/2017  11:59 AM
Caseloads wrote:heart and defense guide you when your offense is not going.
yea... when your the 90s Knicks. They havent lacked effort. They actually had some very good defensive possessions that despite good effort ended in some lucky shots for the Celtics.

No way around it.. they are playing like crap. Let get NBA guard play and see how the squad looks.

fishmike - Making UltimateKnicks great again
Gudris
Posts: 20581
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 12/12/2015
Member: #6213

10/25/2017  12:06 PM
EnySpree wrote:The issue isn't defeense... our offense is trash right now

problem is we have played only 3 games

BigDaddyG
Posts: 25023
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

10/25/2017  12:15 PM
Nalod wrote:The issue is our ball handlers and the word is out that pressuring them early prevents us from settling into an offense that the team is not comfortable with yet.
If we play "Physical defense" does that expose us to foul trouble, if we are playing tight, can the quick offensive trio of Kyrie, Tatum and Brown then break it quick off the dribble?
Basically returning the strategy does not assure success if our knicks are not executing it well.
Its obvious this team is not executing well and other teams are. Its a lot of things.
Not saying your wrong, just saying matching a strategy is often complicated.
If the strategy is to ensure a top three draft pick next june, its really quite excellent.

We're not executing? Must be because of that triangle offense...oh, wait. Need to invent something else this season. It's Rambis...he's undermining Jeff by teaching triangle principles behind his back.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
EnySpree
Posts: 43899
Alba Posts: 138
Joined: 4/18/2003
Member: #397

10/25/2017  12:52 PM
Gudris wrote:
EnySpree wrote:The issue isn't defeense... our offense is trash right now

problem is we have played only 3 games

Nah training camp and preseason is there for a reason. No excuse

You know why I'm here....
Uptown
Posts: 26284
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 4/1/2008
Member: #1883

10/25/2017  2:00 PM
fitzfarm wrote:Biggest difference in last nights loss between the teams was physical defense. Boston was physical even getting away with hand checking for 90 percent of the game. They picked us up before half court and forced our hand on offense, meanwhile our defense we were picking them up at the three point line and in with zero hand checking and no physicality what so ever. They got open three after three easy passes easy ball movement with no disruption.

That’s not a player issue that’s a coaching issue, when you see your opponent getting physical like that you need to return the favor. What is stopping horny from recognizing how they are playing defense and matching the intensity. It’s as simple as telling your players to pick there man up at half court and apply pressure, telling your pg to pick up your opponent as soon as the ball is in play.

Why is the coaching staff not doing there job?

So far the coaching staff gets a F for coaching effort .

You make some really good points....The Celts brought the fight to the Knicks, and we wilted. A part of it is personel and I'm sure the scouting reports are informing teams that we lack ballhandlers...Also, we are very weak and thin along the perimeter. Lee and Hardaway would be considered light in the a## compared to most SG's around league and now one of them has to man the SF position? KP has gotten a little stronger but he is still not as strong as most PF's....

Other than Kanter, O'quinn and maybe Jack, we are not as stong position by position compared to most teams...that is an issue our Front office needs to address...The NBA is moving or has moved toward lenght and strength on the wings and we lack both...

fishmike
Posts: 47695
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/19/2002
Member: #298
USA
10/25/2017  2:06 PM
Uptown wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:Biggest difference in last nights loss between the teams was physical defense. Boston was physical even getting away with hand checking for 90 percent of the game. They picked us up before half court and forced our hand on offense, meanwhile our defense we were picking them up at the three point line and in with zero hand checking and no physicality what so ever. They got open three after three easy passes easy ball movement with no disruption.

That’s not a player issue that’s a coaching issue, when you see your opponent getting physical like that you need to return the favor. What is stopping horny from recognizing how they are playing defense and matching the intensity. It’s as simple as telling your players to pick there man up at half court and apply pressure, telling your pg to pick up your opponent as soon as the ball is in play.

Why is the coaching staff not doing there job?

So far the coaching staff gets a F for coaching effort .

You make some really good points....The Celts brought the fight to the Knicks, and we wilted. A part of it is personel and I'm sure the scouting reports are informing teams that we lack ballhandlers...Also, we are very weak and thin along the perimeter. Lee and Hardaway would be considered light in the a## compared to most SG's around league and now one of them has to man the SF position? KP has gotten a little stronger but he is still not as strong as most PF's....

Other than Kanter, O'quinn and maybe Jack, we are not as stong position by position compared to most teams...that is an issue our Front office needs to address...The NBA is moving or has moved toward lenght and strength on the wings and we lack both...

its not what happened. They took it to KP. The goal was to stop KP. They succeeded in that. The guy next to him at like 16 points and 20 rebounds. Knicks most certainly did not wilt. They once again got terrible guard play, couldnt push, couldnt run an offense and had tons of TO. There was no wilting except for Knick fans pining for a tank but crying after every loss.
fishmike - Making UltimateKnicks great again
Uptown
Posts: 26284
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 4/1/2008
Member: #1883

10/25/2017  2:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/25/2017  2:31 PM
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:Biggest difference in last nights loss between the teams was physical defense. Boston was physical even getting away with hand checking for 90 percent of the game. They picked us up before half court and forced our hand on offense, meanwhile our defense we were picking them up at the three point line and in with zero hand checking and no physicality what so ever. They got open three after three easy passes easy ball movement with no disruption.

That’s not a player issue that’s a coaching issue, when you see your opponent getting physical like that you need to return the favor. What is stopping horny from recognizing how they are playing defense and matching the intensity. It’s as simple as telling your players to pick there man up at half court and apply pressure, telling your pg to pick up your opponent as soon as the ball is in play.

Why is the coaching staff not doing there job?

So far the coaching staff gets a F for coaching effort .

You make some really good points....The Celts brought the fight to the Knicks, and we wilted. A part of it is personel and I'm sure the scouting reports are informing teams that we lack ballhandlers...Also, we are very weak and thin along the perimeter. Lee and Hardaway would be considered light in the a## compared to most SG's around league and now one of them has to man the SF position? KP has gotten a little stronger but he is still not as strong as most PF's....

Other than Kanter, O'quinn and maybe Jack, we are not as stong position by position compared to most teams...that is an issue our Front office needs to address...The NBA is moving or has moved toward lenght and strength on the wings and we lack both...

its not what happened. They took it to KP. The goal was to stop KP. They succeeded in that. The guy next to him at like 16 points and 20 rebounds. Knicks most certainly did not wilt. They once again got terrible guard play, couldnt push, couldnt run an offense and had tons of TO. There was no wilting except for Knick fans pining for a tank but crying after every loss.

When teams get punched in the mouth and dont fight back, they usually settle for long jumpers, abandon the offensive sets, and or ISO. Thats what we did most of the night.

Cry!? Nah, you got the wrong username! I critique what I see whether you agree or not...Its understood that we will be one of the bottom 5 teams this yr and i'm cool with that. I would love to get a top 3 pick in a draft that has at least 3 potential stars entering the league next yr...At the same time, i'm still a fan and want to see good ball or at the very least max effort...If they play piss poor, i'm going to call them out...The All Out Effort The Knicks Displayed at MSG and for Most of the First Game was MIA for the most part last night...

Nalod
Posts: 54074
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
10/25/2017  3:10 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/25/2017  3:39 PM
fitzfarm wrote:Even as a player I never waited for the refs to blow the whistle and control the game, if my opponent was picking me up at inbounds and getting physical I would return the favor tenfold, even to the point where I dared the ref to blow the whistle, I made sure my fouls counted getting in my opponents head. If you don’t match defensive intensity or set the tone and dare your opponent to match your more then likely to get blown out. It’s hard to believe horny doesn’t know this .

Your not incorrect. From what I read your writing this from a guards point of view and perhaps your point of view. I guess you were quick enough to stay with every PG you faced that did that on you? If so, then I get your perspective.
My take is Kyrie is unstoppable in so Picking him up early puts who ever is guarding him out of position. Who on the knicks, or in the NBA can lock him down beyond the parimeter? Baker? Jack? Sessons? Nada.
We saw Ray Felton hound Baker game one. Baker does get the team into its offense, so take the ball out of his hands......
So I agree with you but regarding the team concept, I don't see this.

Anger sells, don't buy!
fitzfarm
Posts: 23609
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/28/2010
Member: #3285

10/25/2017  3:16 PM
Nalod wrote:The issue is our ball handlers and the word is out that pressuring them early prevents us from settling into an offense that the team is not comfortable with yet.
If we play "Physical defense" does that expose us to foul trouble, if we are playing tight, can the quick offensive trio of Kyrie, Tatum and Brown then break it quick off the dribble?
Basically returning the strategy does not assure success if our knicks are not executing it well.
Its obvious this team is not executing well and other teams are. Its a lot of things.
Not saying your wrong, just saying matching a strategy is often complicated.
If the strategy is to ensure a top three draft pick next june, its really quite excellent.

But they were disrupting our offense and taking advantage of our weak defense. Brown,Tatum and kyrie we’re getting to there spots with ease, what would we have to lose by bringing the same defensive intensity as they were on us.... we were getting beat with how we were defending, so why not try and disrupt there offensive flow by picking them up at half court with the pg hounding kyrie full court .

Nalod
Posts: 54074
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
10/25/2017  3:38 PM
fitzfarm wrote:
Nalod wrote:The issue is our ball handlers and the word is out that pressuring them early prevents us from settling into an offense that the team is not comfortable with yet.
If we play "Physical defense" does that expose us to foul trouble, if we are playing tight, can the quick offensive trio of Kyrie, Tatum and Brown then break it quick off the dribble?
Basically returning the strategy does not assure success if our knicks are not executing it well.
Its obvious this team is not executing well and other teams are. Its a lot of things.
Not saying your wrong, just saying matching a strategy is often complicated.
If the strategy is to ensure a top three draft pick next june, its really quite excellent.

But they were disrupting our offense and taking advantage of our weak defense. Brown,Tatum and kyrie we’re getting to there spots with ease, what would we have to lose by bringing the same defensive intensity as they were on us.... we were getting beat with how we were defending, so why not try and disrupt there offensive flow by picking them up at half court with the pg hounding kyrie full court .

Go back one post, I addressed that very statement. And you might be right.

Anger sells, don't buy!
CrushAlot
Posts: 55242
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
10/25/2017  6:14 PM
Corey GAines is the best candidate on the staff. He has won a wnba championship as a head coach, was a player development coach in the nba and was an associate head coach. If the Knicks get blown out by the Nets he would be my choice from coaches on the staff. Also, my brother in law named his cat after Corey when he was on the Nets.
I think we know what we're doing..... Phil Jackson
The biggest issue is the coaching staff and getting our players to play physical defense

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.