[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Official Frank Ntilikina Versus DSJr Thread
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
1/8/2018  12:07 PM
martin wrote:

I haven't watched him play much, but every time I look at the boxscore his negative +/- always stands out. Seems to be one of those players that looks fancy, gets big numbers but doesn't help you win. I honestly don't regret not drafting him at all and I'm happy seeing how Frank develops. Donovan Mitchell looks more impressive than DSJr.

AUTOADVERT
reub
Member: #6227

1/8/2018  12:21 PM
Knicks Film School tweet:

Frank Ntilikina is holding opponents to 10-34 shooting as a primary defender in post-ups, isolations, and when switched on the pick and roll man.

Bigs (Dirk, Turner, Vucevic, etc) are only shooting 2-11 vs Frank in those situations.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
1/8/2018  12:54 PM
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:

I haven't watched him play much, but every time I look at the boxscore his negative +/- always stands out. Seems to be one of those players that looks fancy, gets big numbers but doesn't help you win. I honestly don't regret not drafting him at all and I'm happy seeing how Frank develops. Donovan Mitchell looks more impressive than DSJr.

If your a ball dominant player who only contributes with the ball in your hands. Then you HAVE to be Steph Curry, James Harden, Kryie Irving, Steve Nash etc level efficient as a scorer & or passer to make it work. And you have to put up high volume as either a scorer or passer. Nash was poor defensively but he shot 50-40-90 from the field and would put up 12ast.

If Smith is going to be a 5-6 ast per game scoring guard with below-average defense then he needs to shoot at a 47-38-88 range like Kyrie and Steph. Or he can focus on being a 10ast PG which allows him to not have to be in the elite range scoring efficiency wise. But that 64 ft% is gonna kill him any way he slices it. Needs to get that in the 80s.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
1/8/2018  1:17 PM
reub wrote:Knicks Film School tweet:

Frank Ntilikina is holding opponents to 10-34 shooting as a primary defender in post-ups, isolations, and when switched on the pick and roll man.

Bigs (Dirk, Turner, Vucevic, etc) are only shooting 2-11 vs Frank in those situations.

he's a pain! His D on Dirk last night was a breath of fresh air! He is going to be a loved fixture here for many years.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

1/8/2018  1:48 PM
fishmike wrote:
reub wrote:Knicks Film School tweet:

he's a pain! His D on Dirk last night was a breath of fresh air! He is going to be a loved fixture here for many years.

Yes sir, this should quickly silence the fans that want DSJ. I’ve been saying all along frank is the better all around prospect and it showed last night. Frank has supior defense,court vision and ability to run a team... Frank is the better overall prospect, he makes his teammates better at 19 . DSJ still has a long way to go in every aspect except scoring.i told you he’s a slower/weaker marbury right now who struggles on defense and struggles to make his team better...

A big thank you to Phil for not drafting a one trick pony and going with elite defense and floor general court vision !

Zebo13
Member: #6434
USA
1/8/2018  2:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/8/2018  2:50 PM
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:Frank's D is very good now. Can be elite level as he learns more.

His passing is very good. His shot is smooth. He hesitates and defers to his teammates sometimes too much but all in all, he is solid and his future looks very good.

http://www.82games.com/1718/17NYK3.HTM
Check this out. Frank is holding his opponents to an EFG of 40%. That is mind numbingly low.
Some others for context:
Chris Paul .472
Frank .400
Patty Mills .504
Lowry .484
Chris Dunn .494
Steph Curry .452
Kemba .475
Lilliard .489
Wall .467
Kyrie .433
Dennis Smith .543
Jarrtt Jack .512

Eye test, metrics, stats... everything already says Frank's defense is already elite, and everyone watching knows he's only going to improve.

I just dont get how Frank's defense doesnt have him in the conversation of best in his draft class. Surely Tatum has been great but in league where opposing PGs run amok nightly the Knicks might just have one of the most valueable chips on their roster. Combine him with KP and another and you are building an iron curtain.

Frank hung with Kryie and locked him down in the 4th while the Knicks won that game. Will Irving adjust and come back? Of course, but highlight dunks are nice. Lockdown 4th qtr defense for wins against elite talent? Priceless. But that's just one's guy's opinion.

Last night he played great D again, 7pts, 7rebs, 5assists, 2TOs, 1 steal and 2 blocks. He was -2 in 25 minutes in a close game.

I'm not sure what the metrics say, but Frank's defense is solid, especially for a rookie, but I wouldn't call it elite by any stretch YET. He's not making any all defensive teams as a rookie, so I wouldn't call it elite. Now, I definitely see the potential for it to get to that level but he's not there now. And there's nothing wrong with that. He still has plenty of room and time to grow.

By all metrics and visuals he is 100% playing elite defense. Locking down and frustrating the best 1on1 PG’s in the league and playing excellent help defense. Not sure what PG is playing better D than he.

fishmike
USA
1/8/2018  2:53 PM
Zebo13 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:Frank's D is very good now. Can be elite level as he learns more.

His passing is very good. His shot is smooth. He hesitates and defers to his teammates sometimes too much but all in all, he is solid and his future looks very good.

Check this out. Frank is holding his opponents to an EFG of 40%. That is mind numbingly low.
Some others for context:
Chris Paul .472
Frank .400
Patty Mills .504
Lowry .484
Chris Dunn .494
Steph Curry .452
Kemba .475
Lilliard .489
Wall .467
Kyrie .433
Dennis Smith .543
Jarrtt Jack .512

Eye test, metrics, stats... everything already says Frank's defense is already elite, and everyone watching knows he's only going to improve.

I just dont get how Frank's defense doesnt have him in the conversation of best in his draft class. Surely Tatum has been great but in league where opposing PGs run amok nightly the Knicks might just have one of the most valueable chips on their roster. Combine him with KP and another and you are building an iron curtain.

Frank hung with Kryie and locked him down in the 4th while the Knicks won that game. Will Irving adjust and come back? Of course, but highlight dunks are nice. Lockdown 4th qtr defense for wins against elite talent? Priceless. But that's just one's guy's opinion.

Last night he played great D again, 7pts, 7rebs, 5assists, 2TOs, 1 steal and 2 blocks. He was -2 in 25 minutes in a close game.

I'm not sure what the metrics say, but Frank's defense is solid, especially for a rookie, but I wouldn't call it elite by any stretch YET. He's not making any all defensive teams as a rookie, so I wouldn't call it elite. Now, I definitely see the potential for it to get to that level but he's not there now. And there's nothing wrong with that. He still has plenty of room and time to grow.

By all metrics and visuals he is 100% playing elite defense. Locking down and frustrating the best 1on1 PG’s in the league and playing excellent help defense. Not sure what PG is playing better D than he.

I feel like Zebo does but I am biased... I admit it. So I am wondering who the guys are in the league people want Frank to defend more like.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
1/8/2018  3:18 PM
fishmike wrote:
Zebo13 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Some others for context:
Chris Paul .472
Frank .400
Patty Mills .504
Lowry .484
Chris Dunn .494
Steph Curry .452
Kemba .475
Lilliard .489
Wall .467
Kyrie .433
Dennis Smith .543
Jarrtt Jack .512

I feel like Zebo does but I am biased... I admit it. So I am wondering who the guys are in the league people want Frank to defend more like.

There isn’t a PG right now that defends as well as Ntlikina. Go up and down the league and you will come away mesmerized at how good Ntlikina’s defense is. I’m not gonna lie watching the Knicks on defense my eyes are absolutely locked in on Ntlikina watching him play defense. Kind of reminds me of how most people were locked in on Lawrence Taylor when he played.

It is amazing how methodical Ntlikina is in his approach to defense.

fishmike
USA
1/8/2018  3:32 PM
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Zebo13 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Some others for context:
Chris Paul .472
Frank .400
Patty Mills .504
Lowry .484
Chris Dunn .494
Steph Curry .452
Kemba .475
Lilliard .489
Wall .467
Kyrie .433
Dennis Smith .543
Jarrtt Jack .512

There isn’t a PG right now that defends as well as Ntlikina. Go up and down the league and you will come away mesmerized at how good Ntlikina’s defense is. I’m not gonna lie watching the Knicks on defense my eyes are absolutely locked in on Ntlikina watching him play defense. Kind of reminds me of how most people were locked in on Lawrence Taylor when he played.

same. He is my most watched player and has become my favorite player. I DVR all the games so I can start late and FF through commercials. I often rewind plays to watch Frank defend. He's amazing. If he ever does get beat off the dribble he's able to push his guy towards help, then over play the passing lane. Its nuts. I cant wait until he's ready to start. We need this D at the start of games.
stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

1/8/2018  3:49 PM
fishmike wrote:
Zebo13 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Some others for context:
Chris Paul .472
Frank .400
Patty Mills .504
Lowry .484
Chris Dunn .494
Steph Curry .452
Kemba .475
Lilliard .489
Wall .467
Kyrie .433
Dennis Smith .543
Jarrtt Jack .512

I'm with you on the emerging greatness that is Frank's D - and the fact that it's _already_ better than any other PG. So what should we expect at award time? Is he top-3 DPOY? ROY? All-Rookie and All-Defensive Team? The heights this kid will scale, damn.

The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

1/8/2018  4:31 PM
stanleybostitch wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Zebo13 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Some others for context:
Chris Paul .472
Frank .400
Patty Mills .504
Lowry .484
Chris Dunn .494
Steph Curry .452
Kemba .475
Lilliard .489
Wall .467
Kyrie .433
Dennis Smith .543
Jarrtt Jack .512

I'm with you on the emerging greatness that is Frank's D - and the fact that it's _already_ better than any other PG. So what should we expect at award time? Is he top-3 DPOY? ROY? All-Rookie and All-Defensive Team? The heights this kid will scale, damn.

Yes his defense is elite and if he keeps it up most definitely deserves first team all defense considerations , the scary part is he’s only going to get better, I see multiple dpoy awards in his future.

blkexec
Member: #748
1/8/2018  4:37 PM
fishmike wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Zebo13 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Some others for context:
Chris Paul .472
Frank .400
Patty Mills .504
Lowry .484
Chris Dunn .494
Steph Curry .452
Kemba .475
Lilliard .489
Wall .467
Kyrie .433
Dennis Smith .543
Jarrtt Jack .512

same. He is my most watched player and has become my favorite player. I DVR all the games so I can start late and FF through commercials. I often rewind plays to watch Frank defend. He's amazing. If he ever does get beat off the dribble he's able to push his guy towards help, then over play the passing lane. Its nuts. I cant wait until he's ready to start. We need this D at the start of games.

Fish....When I first signed onto this site, I said the Knicks need a PG like me. Well, we finally have that PG. Frank will be one of the best two way PGs in the league.....I think John Wall is ahead of him, and Patrick Beverly. But for a 19 yr old, Frank is currently the top 5 defensive PGs in the league. Ben Simons is up there and I'm sure there's someone else I'm not thinking about.

I wanted Malik Monk in the draft....And was having second thoughts when I saw DSJ highlights. But at the end of the day, Frank was the right move for this team. Defense is becoming extinct. It's not even a recognized skill anymore. But the importance of having defenders at the PG and Center position is still the key to winning championships. Need to guard the penetrator and protect the rim. We have a young Frank and KP at two critical positions.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
fishmike
USA
1/8/2018  4:43 PM
blkexec wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Zebo13 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Some others for context:
Chris Paul .472
Frank .400
Patty Mills .504
Lowry .484
Chris Dunn .494
Steph Curry .452
Kemba .475
Lilliard .489
Wall .467
Kyrie .433
Dennis Smith .543
Jarrtt Jack .512

Fish....When I first signed onto this site, I said the Knicks need a PG like me. Well, we finally have that PG. Frank will be one of the best two way PGs in the league.....I think John Wall is ahead of him, and Patrick Beverly. But for a 19 yr old, Frank is currently the top 5 defensive PGs in the league. Ben Simons is up there and I'm sure there's someone else I'm not thinking about.

I wanted Malik Monk in the draft....And was having second thoughts when I saw DSJ highlights. But at the end of the day, Frank was the right move for this team. Defense is becoming extinct. It's not even a recognized skill anymore. But the importance of having defenders at the PG and Center position is still the key to winning championships. Need to guard the penetrator and protect the rim. We have a young Frank and KP at two critical positions.

Beverly is a good call. He's a beast on D. Not sure I put Wall there but I dont see him a ton.

I agree... 3 years in the lottery with only 2 picks and we have KP and Frank to build a defense around. I think the Knicks are very lucky

BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
1/8/2018  4:54 PM
blkexec wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Zebo13 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Some others for context:
Chris Paul .472
Frank .400
Patty Mills .504
Lowry .484
Chris Dunn .494
Steph Curry .452
Kemba .475
Lilliard .489
Wall .467
Kyrie .433
Dennis Smith .543
Jarrtt Jack .512

Sorry but Frankie is so over rated on defense on this site. The guy doing the color last night on msg agrees. Frank is great on defense off the ball- passing lanes but needs to improve on the ball defense. Lets his man beat him off the dribble way too much . Also starting to pick up dumb fouls and needs to cut down on bad passes. Yeah, yeah I know he's 19.

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
fishmike
USA
1/8/2018  4:59 PM
BigRedDog wrote:
blkexec wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Zebo13 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Some others for context:
Chris Paul .472
Frank .400
Patty Mills .504
Lowry .484
Chris Dunn .494
Steph Curry .452
Kemba .475
Lilliard .489
Wall .467
Kyrie .433
Dennis Smith .543
Jarrtt Jack .512

Sorry but Frankie is so over rated on defense on this site. The guy doing the color last night on msg agrees. Frank is great on defense off the ball- passing lanes but needs to improve on the ball defense. Lets his man beat him off the dribble way too much . Also starting to pick up dumb fouls and needs to cut down on bad passes. Yeah, yeah I know he's 19.

Ill ask the same question... rather than just saying he's overrated who do you want to see him defend more like? What guys are you rating better than him on D?
Welpee
Member: #6239

1/8/2018  5:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/8/2018  5:27 PM
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Zebo13 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Some others for context:
Chris Paul .472
Frank .400
Patty Mills .504
Lowry .484
Chris Dunn .494
Steph Curry .452
Kemba .475
Lilliard .489
Wall .467
Kyrie .433
Dennis Smith .543
Jarrtt Jack .512

Patrick Beverley just off the top of my head. You can throw out all the advanced metrics you want, Frank is not as good defensively as Beverley...yet. Maybe Marcus Smart and Avery Bradley.
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

1/8/2018  5:12 PM
How many years have we cried for guards who can defend? The rest of his game seems to progress -- I was and am very happy with Frank being a Knick.

DEE FENSE!

Welpee
Member: #6239

1/8/2018  5:13 PM
KnickDanger wrote:How many years have we cried for guards who can defend? The rest of his game seems to progress -- I was and am very happy with Frank being a Knick.

DEE FENSE!

+1
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

1/8/2018  5:22 PM
fishmike wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:
blkexec wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Zebo13 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Some others for context:
Chris Paul .472
Frank .400
Patty Mills .504
Lowry .484
Chris Dunn .494
Steph Curry .452
Kemba .475
Lilliard .489
Wall .467
Kyrie .433
Dennis Smith .543
Jarrtt Jack .512

Ill ask the same question... rather than just saying he's overrated who do you want to see him defend more like? What guys are you rating better than him on D?

The Kid played a great game! Totally out played Smith and was one of the top 3 players on the court and best PG on either side. By far one of his best games this year. Seems to play well when he gets riled up. If he keeps this up he will prove me wrong.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
1/8/2018  5:30 PM
fishmike wrote:

Some others for context:
Chris Paul .472
Frank .400
Patty Mills .504
Lowry .484
Chris Dunn .494
Steph Curry .452
Kemba .475
Lilliard .489
Wall .467
Kyrie .433
Dennis Smith .543
Jarrtt Jack .512

If I am reading the stat right the efg 40% is for when he defends point guards. The opponents efg jumps to .625 when he defends shooting guards. The percentage of time split defending each position isn't that different.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
The Official Frank Ntilikina Versus DSJr Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy