[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Official Frank Ntilikina Versus DSJr Thread
Author Thread
Juliano
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7589

11/20/2017  11:22 AM

Cool pic of Frank and Donovan Mitchell before the Knicks-Jazz game. They look like two kids just happy to be there, it's refreshing. Let's hope they remain level headed.

AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/20/2017  12:51 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
nixluva wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:Getting back to the actual topic i feel frank fits better here than smith. As we can see when he is on the floor we normally do pretty well on both sides of the ball. Imagine how good it will be when his offense starts to blossom. My only issue is that he does hesitate to drive sometimes but that will get better as the year progresses

Guess thats why this will be an ongoing debate. Hard for me to admit that Frank is the better fit as we dont have Smith here also playing minutes. If you look at Toronto's game he had zero impact. It is hard to watch the Knicks losing by 20 and having a guy that brings nothing on offense. But of course that is one game and I agree he has had a positive affect on defense and in the 4th quarters. Also, agree that he is still very young.

Not for anything but Smith had a bad game last night (Not going to say he had a good game becasue of his +/- or that they held a very good offensive team to 79 points) and yet Dallas destroyed the Bucks. Think this debate speaks to a bigger debate with fans. The question of what is more important? Defensive or Offensive players. Fact is the NBA has changed. And it is placing more emphasis of scoring and 3pt shooting. Many old school guys will never agree with the new style of play. I can't remember any of my coaches not instantly benching a player if he settled for a three on a fast break. Now its the norm. To me, Smith represent the new NBA, which is winning chips and Frank represent the Old NBA.

Frank is old school but he’s ELITE at what he does well already with PLENTY of time to improve his scoring. He’s Elite for a rookie in terms of his impact on his team. There’s no question about that. The team scores more and gives up fewer points when he plays. This includes 4th quarters!

He’s got a great chance to improve since his shot isn’t broken. It’s quite smooth. The kid needs time and development on his offensive skills. I doubt he’s ever going to be at the level of DSJ in terms of his offensive ability. That’s a rare talent and usually it is already evident in a young player. DSJ is an offensive star type and Frank is likely to end up being a more balanced 2Way players.

DSJ represents the NEW NBA about as much as Donald Trump represents America. But he isn't completely useless either. I don't think either one is having a lot of impact on their teams statistically. Their VORPs will show they are both basically average NBA players at this time. We just saw what a star on offense did for us for 6 years, I would much rather have Frank. The people who prefer DSJR type of player are the ones who are more interested in volume stats and scoring and they come up with all types of ass backwards reasoning to support that. There is nothing that shows DSJR is having more impact than Frank.

I like the info in this tweet.

We’re talking about a 19 yr old kid that hasn’t yet played enough games to get fully comfortable at this level.

Juliano
Member: #7589

11/20/2017  1:26 PM
nixluva wrote:I like the info in this tweet.

We’re talking about a 19 yr old kid that hasn’t yet played enough games to get fully comfortable at this level.

It would be interesting to have the point guards' league averages for these stats to get a clearer picture.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/20/2017  1:47 PM
blkexec wrote:Personally....I like them both. And I think this team needs both.

DSJ and Frank would be a great pair to have on your team. But having DSJ without Frank doesn't sound as good as having Frank without DSJ.

Smith needs unselfish players around him for his team to work.

Frank needs selfish players around him for his team to work.

As of right now.....DRAW

The two bolded above... one is really hard to get. The other is really easy to get. Care to guess which is which? Think they are both equal?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

11/20/2017  6:10 PM
fishmike wrote:

DSJ and Frank would be a great pair to have on your team. But having DSJ without Frank doesn't sound as good as having Frank without DSJ.

As of right now.....DRAW

The two bolded above... one is really hard to get. The other is really easy to get. Care to guess which is which? Think they are both equal?

I don't think Kurds a draw and i don't agree Frank needs selfish players to succeed. Teams that are winning Notre are plaything unselfish basketball across the team. Its not some if this then that type of fit. Everybody plays unselfish, THE TEAM wins. This is a hard concept to grasp for people used to salivating over empty volume stats. That is how the game has changed. Only superfluous observers think the change has to do with jacking up three pointers and winning with offense only where defense is optional.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
meloshouldgo

11/20/2017  6:30 PM
nixluva wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
nixluva wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:Getting back to the actual topic i feel frank fits better here than smith. As we can see when he is on the floor we normally do pretty well on both sides of the ball. Imagine how good it will be when his offense starts to blossom. My only issue is that he does hesitate to drive sometimes but that will get better as the year progresses

Guess thats why this will be an ongoing debate. Hard for me to admit that Frank is the better fit as we dont have Smith here also playing minutes. If you look at Toronto's game he had zero impact. It is hard to watch the Knicks losing by 20 and having a guy that brings nothing on offense. But of course that is one game and I agree he has had a positive affect on defense and in the 4th quarters. Also, agree that he is still very young.

Not for anything but Smith had a bad game last night (Not going to say he had a good game becasue of his +/- or that they held a very good offensive team to 79 points) and yet Dallas destroyed the Bucks. Think this debate speaks to a bigger debate with fans. The question of what is more important? Defensive or Offensive players. Fact is the NBA has changed. And it is placing more emphasis of scoring and 3pt shooting. Many old school guys will never agree with the new style of play. I can't remember any of my coaches not instantly benching a player if he settled for a three on a fast break. Now its the norm. To me, Smith represent the new NBA, which is winning chips and Frank represent the Old NBA.

Frank is old school but he’s ELITE at what he does well already with PLENTY of time to improve his scoring. He’s Elite for a rookie in terms of his impact on his team. There’s no question about that. The team scores more and gives up fewer points when he plays. This includes 4th quarters!

He’s got a great chance to improve since his shot isn’t broken. It’s quite smooth. The kid needs time and development on his offensive skills. I doubt he’s ever going to be at the level of DSJ in terms of his offensive ability. That’s a rare talent and usually it is already evident in a young player. DSJ is an offensive star type and Frank is likely to end up being a more balanced 2Way players.

DSJ represents the NEW NBA about as much as Donald Trump represents America. But he isn't completely useless either. I don't think either one is having a lot of impact on their teams statistically. Their VORPs will show they are both basically average NBA players at this time. We just saw what a star on offense did for us for 6 years, I would much rather have Frank. The people who prefer DSJR type of player are the ones who are more interested in volume stats and scoring and they come up with all types of ass backwards reasoning to support that. There is nothing that shows DSJR is having more impact than Frank.

That is very interesting. Thanks for sharing

blkexec
Member: #748
11/20/2017  8:32 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
nixluva wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
nixluva wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

That is amazing.....Only 19 with that much impact on defense already? Thats before he even picks up NBA skills and tricks. And the speed of the game on defense doesn't affect him as much, which I thought would be his biggest adjustment.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
blkexec
Member: #748
11/20/2017  8:39 PM
fishmike wrote:

As of right now.....DRAW

I call it "unselfish superstars"

Thats my big secret ok.....Now everybody knows. I've won mulple championships following this strategy. But I also had to have a coachable selfish player.....Because it's easy to convert 1 player to be unselfish, than an entire team.

So yes I agree....having unselfish players is the key. But I call them unselfish stars like Frank's potential....Vs unselfish roll players, thats something different. You still need to have that ability to turn it on and off. And thats when my game grew, when I was able to go selfish when needed.....

I think Frank fits that mold, and he simply just needs a reminder that he can take over a game offensively in many ways, because of his length and smarts. He will learn how to use his body and angles to the rim.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/21/2017  9:03 AM
I still think Frank needs to play 40 minutes as a lead guard down at Westchester for a few games to bring more flow to his game--hes very tight right now.

His last 4 games hes had 9 TO's and 4 assists while shooting 7-23 and 10 personal fouls in limited minutes.

What Im scared of while people are praising him to high heaven is actual play. I think the D league gives the player the ability to let loose--be free without worry of error. And as he learns how to flow easier--that mentality can be brought up to the major league. Hes played poorly recently--not a step forward rather a step back. We dont need to compare Frank to anyone--we need to develop him the right way.

RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
11/21/2017  9:32 AM
BRIGGS wrote:I still think Frank needs to play 40 minutes as a lead guard down at Westchester for a few games to bring more flow to his game--hes very tight right now.

His last 4 games hes had 9 TO's and 4 assists while shooting 7-23 and 10 personal fouls in limited minutes.

What Im scared of while people are praising him to high heaven is actual play. I think the D league gives the player the ability to let loose--be free without worry of error. And as he learns how to flow easier--that mentality can be brought up to the major league. Hes played poorly recently--not a step forward rather a step back. We dont need to compare Frank to anyone--we need to develop him the right way.

He's been sick last two game.

He's playing a role. That role is defense/ball handling. Its a good role for a rookie player. Especially in a winning environment. That is the right way to develop. Frank is averaging 20 minutes a game at 19 as an NBA rookie and he's having a positive impact. The offense will come. Being focused on helping the team with defense and setting up other players is good development.

Dude's getting 20 mpg. He's in the rotation. He doesnt need to go to the D league so he can jack up more shots. We have guys for that.

Frank's offense will come. Dude's 14 games into his NBA career and he's playing winning minutes and crunch time and you want him to go to the D league. Its really just not a smart idea. At all. Yet you keep posting it over and over.

knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
11/21/2017  9:38 AM
I think it really depends on Frank's mentality at this point, whether D League or playing 20 mins in the NBA is better. He seems like a resilient kid, so leaving him with the big boys is probably fine at this point. If you see changes in his body language, attitude, etc, then sending him down might make sense. At this point I think we're ok leaving him in the rotation. He gets to learn from the veterans, travel with them, get hazed as a rookie, etc. He gets to learn more about the NBA off the court this way which also has its merits.
Rose is not the answer.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/21/2017  10:14 AM
Juliano wrote:

Cool pic of Frank and Donovan Mitchell before the Knicks-Jazz game. They look like two kids just happy to be there, it's refreshing. Let's hope they remain level headed.

Love the lunchbox.

Welpee
Member: #6239

11/21/2017  12:10 PM
fishmike wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:I still think Frank needs to play 40 minutes as a lead guard down at Westchester for a few games to bring more flow to his game--hes very tight right now.

He's playing a role. That role is defense/ball handling. Its a good role for a rookie player. Especially in a winning environment. That is the right way to develop. Frank is averaging 20 minutes a game at 19 as an NBA rookie and he's having a positive impact. The offense will come. Being focused on helping the team with defense and setting up other players is good development.

Dude's getting 20 mpg. He's in the rotation. He doesnt need to go to the D league so he can jack up more shots. We have guys for that.

Frank's offense will come. Dude's 14 games into his NBA career and he's playing winning minutes and crunch time and you want him to go to the D league. Its really just not a smart idea. At all. Yet you keep posting it over and over.

I wondered about that. During one stoppage of play I noticed Frank in the background with a look on his face indicating that something was up, like he was under some distress. So it makes total sense now to find out he was under the weather.
fishmike
USA
11/21/2017  12:46 PM
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I wondered about that. During one stoppage of play I noticed Frank in the background with a look on his face indicating that something was up, like he was under some distress. So it makes total sense now to find out he was under the weather.
yea.. watching the post game I was curious why (besides the poor play) Jeff benched Ntilikina.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/21/frank-ntilikina-has-explanation-for-worst-performance-as-knick/

Knicks rookie Frank Ntilikina’s fourth-quarter benching was more the Frenchman’s call than the coach’s.

Feeling flu-like symptoms, Ntilikina had his worst game as a Knick, committing four turnovers with zero points and one assist in 11 minutes and sitting for the fourth quarter.

Jeff Hornacek said Ntilikina told him he wasn’t helping the team, prompting the Knicks coach to bench him and allow veteran Ramon Sessions to play the fourth period.

“Frank’s under the weather,’’ Hornacek said after the Knicks’ 107-85 victory Monday. “He’s been fighting it two, three days now. he just didn’t have it tonight. He was fine with it. He actually said, ‘I’m not helping the team now.’ Frank’s a smart player. He realized he didn’t have enough energy. He sacrificed. He could’ve gone back in there and still played but it gave Ramon a chance.”

Ntilikina, who didn’t deny that version of events, said he got sick in Toronto and is on medication.

“I tried all I had, but I felt sick,’’ he said. “I felt bad and couldn’t help the team. I was losing the ball and not playing the right way. But I have to get through it and learn to play when I’m sick. Next time I will do better.”

Silly to be happy he's sick but thats better than the alternative which is just poor play. Get well soon Frank. You got some revenge pending vs. the Craptors
meloshouldgo

11/21/2017  6:54 PM
Welpee wrote:
fishmike wrote:

That's the thing he is not being asked to score - he is being asked to be a distributor and defensive stopper. That is his defined role - why people get bent out of shape about scoring beats me.

Ira
Member: #91
11/22/2017  12:37 AM
If he's getting regular pt with the Knicks, he doesn't need to go to Westchester.
Kemet
Member: #6148

11/22/2017  3:37 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
nixluva wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
nixluva wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

So so True .. it does become difficult to compare between Frank vs DSJ when Franks 4th qtr. performance has a 8-4 winning record .. Thanks for sharing .. Im oldschool NBA .. the best DEFENSE makes the best offense !!!

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/22/2017  6:34 AM
Ira wrote:If he's getting regular pt with the Knicks, he doesn't need to go to Westchester.

I agree. Maybe something to consider down the line. But I believe he will get even more playing time with the big club if we're in or out the playoff race. But we kinda need him now for our current push.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
11/22/2017  7:06 AM

It is not going to happen but I agree that a month in the G league would be good for Frank to help him get comfortable scoring. The kid has offense in him. You can see it. He just has to develop the mentality to score.

Trust the Process
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
11/22/2017  8:46 AM
Jeff has to tell FN11 to be a little more aggressive on offense so the player guarding him has to keep close to him. It will open up better passing lanes. I wouldn’t mind Frank being a little more aggressive on the offensive end. It will help his maturation process. You can tell just by watching him that scoring will come easy to him just needs to see the ball leave his hand towards the hoop more and they will eventually start falling in for him.

Frank will eventually strike that balance of scoring and passing.

The Official Frank Ntilikina Versus DSJr Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy