Author Thread
Welpee
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6239

11/2/2017  1:22 PM
Chandler wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
reub wrote:8 assists and FIVE steals tonight against Harden and the Rockets. I see Hornacek using him more and more. His defense is already elite and I believe that his offense will get better almost by the game for the next few years. He's a real treasure!

His defense is the real deal and his vision is better than I expected the concerns about his ability to score and handle are legitimate

Handles can be developed and while he'll probably never be an elite scorer you really don't need 20 ppg from him. Just look at Rondo. Why people expect him to be a finished product at age 19 and 7 games into his career beats me.

good point but I don't like the Rondo comparison -- Rondo simply can't shoot reliably

Frank can shoot. He needs to find some rhythm of when to look for his shot and when not too (that will come). He needs to learn to use his length to his advantage. Yes he's 6'5" or so but with those arms he must have an amazing standing reach for a point guard. Like KP he will be able to shoot over opponents without having to jump over them. Nice little floater in the lane under control and well balanced for transition or rebound if he misses (as opposed to the kamikaze approach of D. Rose and his ilk, where if they don't score they create a fast break opportunity for the other team as they crawl back on the court)

Rondo comparison was only to illustrate you don't need your pg being a big time scorer to effectively play the position.
AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Member: #6197

11/2/2017  1:26 PM
Welpee wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
reub wrote:8 assists and FIVE steals tonight against Harden and the Rockets. I see Hornacek using him more and more. His defense is already elite and I believe that his offense will get better almost by the game for the next few years. He's a real treasure!

His defense is the real deal and his vision is better than I expected the concerns about his ability to score and handle are legitimate

Handles can be developed and while he'll probably never be an elite scorer you really don't need 20 ppg from him. Just look at Rondo. Why people expect him to be a finished product at age 19 and 7 games into his career beats me.

good point but I don't like the Rondo comparison -- Rondo simply can't shoot reliably

Frank can shoot. He needs to find some rhythm of when to look for his shot and when not too (that will come). He needs to learn to use his length to his advantage. Yes he's 6'5" or so but with those arms he must have an amazing standing reach for a point guard. Like KP he will be able to shoot over opponents without having to jump over them. Nice little floater in the lane under control and well balanced for transition or rebound if he misses (as opposed to the kamikaze approach of D. Rose and his ilk, where if they don't score they create a fast break opportunity for the other team as they crawl back on the court)

Rondo comparison was only to illustrate you don't need your pg being a big time scorer to effectively play the position.

got it and totally agree. Some of the all time greats never felt like they needed to lead their team in scoring but were ready and able to sink a dagger in when you forgot about them

(5)(5)
Welpee

11/2/2017  1:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/2/2017  1:35 PM
Chandler wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

got it and totally agree. Some of the all time greats never felt like they needed to lead their team in scoring but were ready and able to sink a dagger in when you forgot about them

If Frank could become some form of a modern day Dennis Johnson I'd be thrilled. No flash, no sizzle, just defense, effective play and winning.
Chandler
Member: #6197

11/2/2017  2:05 PM
Welpee wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

If Frank could become some form of a modern day Dennis Johnson I'd be thrilled. No flash, no sizzle, just defense, effective play and winning.

the big fundamental at pg!!

(5)(5)
reub
Member: #6227

11/4/2017  3:48 PM
All I know is that Frank is turning us into winners while Dallas is faltering badly.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/4/2017  4:20 PM
Chandler wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

I think Frank is going to be like a bigger version of Billups or God willing a new version of Clyde. IMO it's only a matter of time before Frank realizes how he can attack more effectively. It's a process and he's smart enough to figure things out.

Even in down games the kid will learn things. When to attack and how to better use screens. There's no rush for him. He's clearly focusing on half court execution early in his career. He had a couple of drive opportunities he made but he should increase his drives as he develops.

reub
Member: #6227

11/4/2017  4:31 PM
nixluva wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

I think Frank is going to be like a bigger version of Billups or God willing a new version of Clyde. IMO it's only a matter of time before Frank realizes how he can attack more effectively. It's a process and he's smart enough to figure things out.

Even in down games the kid will learn things. When to attack and how to better use screens. There's no rush for him. He's clearly focusing on half court execution early in his career. He had a couple of drive opportunities he made but he should increase his drives as he develops.

The thing about Frank is that he helps the team so much on defense that he can stay on the court while his offense gradually improves. We have plenty of scorers without him and he does have great vision out there too.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/5/2017  3:06 PM
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

11/5/2017  8:26 PM
Lets pump the brakes on the Dennis Johnson, Billups and Rondo comparisons. Franks averaging 4pts, 3asts and shooting 31% from the fieldHe hasn;t shown anything to merit those comparisons...
Welpee

11/5/2017  9:59 PM
Uptown wrote:Lets pump the brakes on the Dennis Johnson, Billups and Rondo comparisons. Franks averaging 4pts, 3asts and shooting 31% from the fieldHe hasn;t shown anything to merit those comparisons...
...cough, cough....
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

11/5/2017  10:03 PM
DSWho?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/5/2017  10:06 PM
Uptown wrote:Lets pump the brakes on the Dennis Johnson, Billups and Rondo comparisons. Franks averaging 4pts, 3asts and shooting 31% from the fieldHe hasn;t shown anything to merit those comparisons...

yea Mr. Not taking Dennis Smith is going to set us back years. You were saying? Frank's just a triangle PG? This is going to hurt for years? Frank is missing that burst? Seems like at 19 years old he's got quite a bit. There arent a lot of NBA players playing defense like Frank is right now. He keeps this up he's winning an award.

Sorry to gloat, but Frank was drafted because he's a great defender and a winner. We saw that on full display tonight. Yes KP did the heavy lifting. Frank's defense was amazing, the kind of impact I expect from an all NBA defender, not a 19 year old rookie averaging 4pts and 3 assists.

Sorry but that game was intoxicating. Seeing our future flash before our eyes. So good. Fuck Dennis Smith Jr and Sr too

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/5/2017  10:09 PM
Frank had a few missed opportunities to get to the rim tonite, but he showed a legit crossover to get
in the paint. Which was on my wish list.

I get the feeling his teammates are encouraging him to be more aggresive. Frank doesn't have that comfort level going to the rim just yet. But he's slowly gettin there.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

11/5/2017  10:09 PM
fishmike wrote:

yea Mr. Not taking Dennis Smith is going to set us back years. You were saying? Frank's just a triangle PG? This is going to hurt for years? Frank is missing that burst? Seems like at 19 years old he's got quite a bit. There arent a lot of NBA players playing defense like Frank is right now. He keeps this up he's winning an award.

Sorry to gloat, but Frank was drafted because he's a great defender and a winner. We saw that on full display tonight. Yes KP did the heavy lifting. Frank's defense was amazing, the kind of impact I expect from an all NBA defender, not a 19 year old rookie averaging 4pts and 3 assists.

Sorry but that game was intoxicating. Seeing our future flash before our eyes. So good. Fuck Dennis Smith Jr and Sr too

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Welpee

11/5/2017  10:10 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/5/2017  10:10 PM
Now lets remember, Frank is a rookie and he's gonna have more rookie games. But tonight was a glimpse of how he can positively impact a game.
stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

11/5/2017  10:10 PM
fishmike wrote:

"Fuck Dennis Smith Jr and Sr too" - Yeah! We got the juice tonight. Great day to be a long-suffering Knicks fan. Frank and KP the cornerstones to our next championship.

The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
11/5/2017  10:13 PM
fishmike wrote:

The obsession with dribble drive is baffling. Frank is better on defense than anyone in the draft is on offense. He’s warping that end of the floor. We don’t always get to be right as Knick fans, but I called the Kawhi comparisons, and Frankie is doing us proud early.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
Welpee

11/5/2017  10:14 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/5/2017  10:15 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Frank had a few missed opportunities to get to the rim tonite, but he showed a legit crossover to get
in the paint. Which was on my wish list.

I get the feeling his teammates are encouraging him to be more aggresive. Frank doesn't have that comfort level going to the rim just yet. But he's slowly gettin there.

We just have to be patient. In this microwave society fans want Frank to be prime-Frank 9 games into his career. Give him time to develop and more importantly develop the RIGHT WAY. Let Dennis Smith put up his empty stats and highlight dunks and develop into a shot chucking point guard.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/5/2017  10:17 PM
codeunknown wrote:
fishmike wrote:

The obsession with dribble drive is baffling. Frank is better on defense than anyone in the draft is on offense. He’s warping that end of the floor. We don’t always get to be right as Knick fans, but I called the Kawhi comparisons, and Frankie is doing us proud early.

Dont believe the Kawhi comparisons are apt until Frank can get to the rim more consistently. When Kawhi sees the lane, he takes it.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

11/5/2017  10:18 PM
Franks defense alone makes him a difference even at 19 years old. His vision is also top notch. Yes he might not be a bigtime scorer but the kid can score and every game we see him become more confident in his offense. My only issue is that i would like to see him drive more when he has a open lane but that will come with time.
The Official Frank Ntilikina Versus DSJr Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy