[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Day after game 10/19 vs OKC: thoughts?
Author Thread
martin
Posts: 46313
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
10/20/2017  2:30 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Listen carefully, idiots... before yesterday, Frank had played for what...15 minutes!.. in SL and pre-season games, and had not been involved in a number of scrimmages in practice, but some are already calling him a bust. Maybe Martin can create an idiot thread for the children on UK who need a place to vent when they have no idea what they are talking about.

We got a special place for the idiots and all their threads: http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/forum.asp?f=2

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Posts: 25029
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

10/20/2017  2:40 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
Bake does many things good, but I'm still puzzled by his shooting woes. I think much of the trouble with him as a distributor yesterday goes back to my first point, and the fact that our spacing sucks.

Everyone, me included, keeps saying his shooting will come around, but maybe it won't. He was a solid shooter, but never a guy you would call automatic, like Reddick or McDermott were. His mechanics probably need to be tweaked. Throw in the fact that he's learning to play PG in the NBA and that's a lot of player development to cram into a summer or two.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
MaTT4281
Posts: 30822
Alba Posts: 4
Joined: 1/16/2004
Member: #538
USA
10/20/2017  2:41 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
oh definitely... I have no idea if he'd be interested or not. Bocker just asked if there was as tarting calibur player that signed for a similar figure to Baker's. So I used Teodosic because he's a baller who is getting just a little bit more than Baker

Clips made a great signing there to help alleviate some of the pain of losing CP3. I guess all I'm arguing here, going back to Bocker's original question, is that Milos wasn't really a viable option in NY, certainly not under the contract he's got now.

I don't think Baker/Sessions/Jack will hurt us in the long run. I hope Baker sticks and can be a feel good story. If not, 2 years on a contract that won't break us or deter from the rebuild.

"I must break you." - Kristaps Porzingis to Rocky Balboa
WaltLongmire
Posts: 27107
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 6/28/2014
Member: #5843

10/20/2017  2:46 PM
nychamp wrote:
Gudris wrote:

I loved Porzingis's game last night but nice cherry-picked, ridiculous baseball style stat. Pointless. Maybe we could have specified "on a Thursday" and he would be the only one in NBA history!!!


Yeah...interesting in its way, but it is crazy what you can find with the advanced computing power and statistical databases we have today.
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Swishfm3
Posts: 22591
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/28/2003
Member: #392
10/20/2017  3:00 PM
They looked horrible but that was to be expected against one of the top teams in the NBA. Anyone that was expecting a close game, or even a Knick win, was just fooling themselves.

I liked what I saw from KP but, just like Reggie Miller mentioned, Thunder opted to play "man to man" for the majority of the game. I look forward to seeing how he handles the double teams from other teams.

As mentioned here already, point guard play was horrendous. Never understood the fascination members of this site have with R. Baker, except that maybe they just love an underdog. Ron Baker to me is Landry Fields 2.0. I really hope this Frank kid works out but, in the meantime, Knicks really need to work the phones and get a real PG in here.

Didn't understand the substitutions and line ups. Why didn't Hernangomez play more? Did the Knicks throw up the white towel early and Hornacek was just looking at what he has on his bench?

Who is Doncic?

SupremeCommander
Posts: 31791
Alba Posts: 35
Joined: 4/28/2006
Member: #1127

10/20/2017  3:05 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
oh definitely... I have no idea if he'd be interested or not. Bocker just asked if there was as tarting calibur player that signed for a similar figure to Baker's. So I used Teodosic because he's a baller who is getting just a little bit more than Baker

Clips made a great signing there to help alleviate some of the pain of losing CP3. I guess all I'm arguing here, going back to Bocker's original question, is that Milos wasn't really a viable option in NY, certainly not under the contract he's got now.

I don't think Baker/Sessions/Jack will hurt us in the long run. I hope Baker sticks and can be a feel good story. If not, 2 years on a contract that won't break us or deter from the rebuild.

it helps us if our intention is to tank.

all I'm saying is that if our intention was to win, we could have done waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Baker at a similar price. that's all I'm saying. which seems intuitive to me, but then again I'm not a Baker fan, not at that price

fishmike said: Yes. Sometimes I confuse the alerts with when your mom calls. BTW she said defensive guards are really important.
SupremeCommander
Posts: 31791
Alba Posts: 35
Joined: 4/28/2006
Member: #1127

10/20/2017  3:10 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Gudris wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:I don't get the Ron Baker hate. This whole thing about our players only being bench players and not starters is a bit overblown.

The overreaction to Frank was both predictable and pathetic.

My main gripes are -

Lack of structured offense
Willy not being a starter
THJR - not doing anything well, yet people pick on Ron Baker


Totally agree about Baker, he is our best player on defence, very good role player

dude he is getting paid to do more than steal a couple of possession. He's way over his head in the role they have him in..like are you kidding me.

He can't shoot so he cant play sg, he doesn't see the floor, he cant set up the offense, he doesn't penetrate enough to make anything happen, can't run a P&R at all, so we got this one dimensional player that's good for a steal or 2, and were paying him 9 million dollars.

to you its about the money. DOn't worry, Baker not taking any from your rabbit ears!

that's ridiculous - n one gives a **** about Baker's bank account. What people care about is he was signed for a lot of money out of the gate. what, you'd rather give money to the Baker benevolence fund rather than have a starting caliber PG?

Question: What starting caliber PG free agent could we have signed for $4.3M per year for 2 years?

great question - the guy I wanted was Milos Teodosic. He got $12.3 million over two years. I would have rather had Milos and Holliday than Baker and THJ.

that said, this is very clearly a tank job... just frustrating because outside of the Yankees, all my teams STINK. I guess it's better late than never in trying to get as many ping pong balls as possible while the old rules are still in effect

I love Teodosic! Was he a free agent pick up?

yeah, the Clips signed him to deal with the loss of Paul... I know he's an older guy, but he's also an international star and I think he would've played the part of mentor to our young guys well

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/6/15930292/nba-free-agency-2017-clippers-sign-milos-teodosic-euroleague-cska-moscow

Also a different situation than NYK. LA weather and throwing lobs to the Clips' big men, vs. NY with Porzingis in a rebuild, with his replacement already on the roster.
I'm a fan of his as well, just not convinced that we were the right fit for him (and vice versa if we would have had to significantly outbid LA).

lets say we did have to overpay him. I'd rather overpay the guy who has produced than outbid ourselves for Ron friggin Baker. Either way we overpay... Milos / Frank is way more appealing to me than Sessions / Jack (will he ever play) / Baker / Frank

Say you are Milos....Would you sign with the Knicks or with the Clips? A rebuilding team or a ready made team missing a position that you play?

sorry I missed this... it's hard for me to put myself in his shoes. all I know is if we offered him 2 years at $10 mil per, he probably comes to NY. These international guys love NY. Before Kanter even was traded here, he lived here. our team is international. We overpay him 2:1 I bet he comes here. Maybe not, but it's not like the Clips are legit contenders. he didn't sign with Cle, he didn't sign with GSW...

again, all I am saying is that there were significantly better options than Baker available at way better price and terms. We got Michael Beasley, for example, for the equivalent of a #2 at Chik-fil-A

fishmike said: Yes. Sometimes I confuse the alerts with when your mom calls. BTW she said defensive guards are really important.
Gudris
Posts: 20584
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 12/12/2015
Member: #6213

10/20/2017  3:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/20/2017  3:13 PM
Swishfm3 wrote:They looked horrible but that was to be expected against one of the top teams in the NBA. Anyone that was expecting a close game, or even a Knick win, was just fooling themselves.

I liked what I saw from KP but, just like Reggie Miller mentioned, Thunder opted to play "man to man" for the majority of the game. I look forward to seeing how he handles the double teams from other teams.

As mentioned here already, point guard play was horrendous. Never understood the fascination members of this site have with R. Baker, except that maybe they just love an underdog. Ron Baker to me is Landry Fields 2.0. I really hope this Frank kid works out but, in the meantime, Knicks really need to work the phones and get a real PG in here.

Didn't understand the substitutions and line ups. Why didn't Hernangomez play more? Did the Knicks throw up the white towel early and Hornacek was just looking at what he has on his bench?

Who is Doncic?


Billy was punished for not listening to coaches
SupremeCommander
Posts: 31791
Alba Posts: 35
Joined: 4/28/2006
Member: #1127

10/20/2017  3:14 PM
Gudris wrote:
Swishfm3 wrote:They looked horrible but that was to be expected against one of the top teams in the NBA. Anyone that was expecting a close game, or even a Knick win, was just fooling themselves.

I liked what I saw from KP but, just like Reggie Miller mentioned, Thunder opted to play "man to man" for the majority of the game. I look forward to seeing how he handles the double teams from other teams.

As mentioned here already, point guard play was horrendous. Never understood the fascination members of this site have with R. Baker, except that maybe they just love an underdog. Ron Baker to me is Landry Fields 2.0. I really hope this Frank kid works out but, in the meantime, Knicks really need to work the phones and get a real PG in here.

Didn't understand the substitutions and line ups. Why didn't Hernangomez play more? Did the Knicks throw up the white towel early and Hornacek was just looking at what he has on his bench?

Who is Doncic?


Billy was punished for not listening to coaches

really? I thought, errrr hoped, that the coaches are trying to pump up KOQ's trade value

fishmike said: Yes. Sometimes I confuse the alerts with when your mom calls. BTW she said defensive guards are really important.
WaltLongmire
Posts: 27107
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 6/28/2014
Member: #5843

10/20/2017  3:19 PM
martin wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Listen carefully, idiots... before yesterday, Frank had played for what...15 minutes!.. in SL and pre-season games, and had not been involved in a number of scrimmages in practice, but some are already calling him a bust. Maybe Martin can create an idiot thread for the children on UK who need a place to vent when they have no idea what they are talking about.

We got a special place for the idiots and all their threads: http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/forum.asp?f=2

Cute...

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
knicks1248
Posts: 36278
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/3/2004
Member: #582
10/20/2017  3:21 PM
Phil drafted frank because he was an ideal triangle type guard, who's defense could eventually be elite, he also knew that he had every intention on resigning Rose, which he could then have him play next to rose at times, to guard the players rose couldn't.

Mills pretty much left baker and frank to get buried alive, because now we have no true NBA starting pg, and who exactly are they learning from, SESSION & JACK, a couple of "way past their prime players"

It's just a sloppy way to develop your pg, the most important position on the roster

ES
meloshouldgo
Posts: 23985
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 5/3/2014
Member: #5801

10/20/2017  4:21 PM
EnySpree wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:I don't get the Ron Baker hate. This whole thing about our players only being bench players and not starters is a bit overblown.

The overreaction to Frank was both predictable and pathetic.

My main gripes are -

Lack of structured offense
Willy not being a starter
THJR - not doing anything well, yet people pick on Ron Baker

Nobody is picking on Baker. It is what it is.... I'm not gonna protect the dude. He has to play better. If he played well no one would have anything bad to say. He was flat out terrible sand that's the truth.

THJr got locked up... truth. He didn't play particularly bad though. He was just locked up

Baker only plus player on roster after game 1. We have a ton of issues on a rebuilding team, the LEAST of which is Ron Baker

The only things that trickle down are wages and horse shit
reub
Posts: 21273
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2016
Member: #6227

10/20/2017  4:24 PM
martin wrote:
nixluva wrote:This sums up what most don’t see about Baker!!!

huh interesting

That is not an insignificant statistic.

reub
Posts: 21273
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2016
Member: #6227

10/20/2017  4:26 PM
Ira wrote:It looks like we're going to get an early draft pick.

I'll bet you that we're not.

meloshouldgo
Posts: 23985
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 5/3/2014
Member: #5801

10/20/2017  4:27 PM
nixluva wrote:AGAIN! BAKER PLUS FOUR in a blowout and he was rusty. Baker is better in PnR and Drag Screen situations. Baker and Willy have GREAT chemistry. Need to see them together more going forward. IMO Baker will settle in and be a very good role player for this team.

Yes, of the all the people that didn't play your their contracts singling out Baker who at least tried enough to have ended up with a modest plus score is incomprehensible.

The only things that trickle down are wages and horse shit
CrushAlot
Posts: 55244
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
10/20/2017  7:22 PM
I think we know what we're doing..... Phil Jackson
Swishfm3
Posts: 22591
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/28/2003
Member: #392
10/20/2017  11:27 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
Gudris wrote:
Swishfm3 wrote:They looked horrible but that was to be expected against one of the top teams in the NBA. Anyone that was expecting a close game, or even a Knick win, was just fooling themselves.

I liked what I saw from KP but, just like Reggie Miller mentioned, Thunder opted to play "man to man" for the majority of the game. I look forward to seeing how he handles the double teams from other teams.

As mentioned here already, point guard play was horrendous. Never understood the fascination members of this site have with R. Baker, except that maybe they just love an underdog. Ron Baker to me is Landry Fields 2.0. I really hope this Frank kid works out but, in the meantime, Knicks really need to work the phones and get a real PG in here.

Didn't understand the substitutions and line ups. Why didn't Hernangomez play more? Did the Knicks throw up the white towel early and Hornacek was just looking at what he has on his bench?

Who is Doncic?


Billy was punished for not listening to coaches

really? I thought, errrr hoped, that the coaches are trying to pump up KOQ's trade value

See...I was wondering that they were keeping him out because he (Hernangomez) was about to get traded.

meloshouldgo
Posts: 23985
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 5/3/2014
Member: #5801

10/20/2017  11:31 PM
nychamp wrote:
Gudris wrote:

I loved Porzingis's game last night but nice cherry-picked, ridiculous baseball style stat. Pointless. Maybe we could have specified "on a Thursday" and he would be the only one in NBA history!!!

Third Thursday of October should definitely narrow it down!!

The only things that trickle down are wages and horse shit
TPercy
Posts: 24633
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/5/2014
Member: #5748

10/21/2017  2:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/21/2017  2:23 PM
Our transition D sucked because we kept turning the ball over.

On the plus side. Hardaway played very good 1v1 defense that day...better than he did all of pre season. I just want to see him taking up some of the scoring. We desperately needed scoring outside of KP that game.

The Future is Bright!
Day after game 10/19 vs OKC: thoughts?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.