martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/19/2017  1:05 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Chandler wrote:If Gaines reacts by leaving this will go down as a dick move

He has an eye for talent

Agreed, lets get rid of the one guy directly responsible for the only bright spots that can be salvaged from the carcass of the Melo era. Smart.

He was given a different role and perhaps one he asked for.... why did you jump to get rid of?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
10/19/2017  1:06 PM
This is a good change.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

10/19/2017  2:26 PM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Seems like an odd move with Gaines. His drafting has been the only bright spot for this franchise for
some time now. Thats the one place you would think where someone shouldn't be demoted. Im all in for putting in your own people, if the people already in place arent doing a good job. Doesnt seem to be the case with Gaines.

Warkentien hasnt moved the needle as far as I can tell since joining the organization, so that doesnt really bother me.

Isn't scout the perfect place for Gaines? I actually don't know what the title VP of Player Personnel means but scout seems right for what Gaines purports to bring?

Yup...I'd rather have him out and about bird-dogging prospects. For the most part, he's done a pretty good job at finding relatively under the radar talent.

Not sure what his feelings on the subject are, of course, but he gets to do something he's good at. Hope he stays around.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/19/2017  2:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/19/2017  2:39 PM
martin wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

He has an eye for talent

Agreed, lets get rid of the one guy directly responsible for the only bright spots that can be salvaged from the carcass of the Melo era. Smart.

He was given a different role and perhaps one he asked for.... why did you jump to get rid of?

Didn't.
I specifically responded to the conjecture that he could leave because Mills/Perry showed him the door. Given the absence of any additional clarifying data, being moved from VP to scout is absolutely a demotion.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/19/2017  2:50 PM
Funny. Warkentein was exec of the year and a CAA guy before he came here some 6 years ago. Can't say what he contributed to.
Gaines gets such big cred here? His big claim to fame was KP pick, which at no. 4 was no stretch.
I like Gaines. Hes big, cool, walks to his own beat.
He was Phils right hand man!!!!
For those who Hate phil, but love gaines, can you honesty say this was a good right hand man? I mean really, how good was this dude? Cuz the knicks kind of sucked.
For everything I have read Gaines is a lone wolf and that makes for an excellent scout! He is unconventional. I seem to recall he came back to work with Phil and was not working prior. Day trading. He is analytical and really does a great job scouting. So why the VP title? Nothing but the snotty tone of the "DEMOTION" speaks to what he did as "Vice President".
But its cool to say "See, knicks freaking blow and are ridding themselves with good dudes with dudes I don't know, and have no claim to fame to anything, typical Knicks!!! MIlls is an arsehole!!!"

Gaines will likely leave when his contract is done or blow off if he don't need the money. Dude walks to his own beat. Maybe Phil will take care of him as part of a wink-wink deal for him to work with him.

Phil had good ideas. He just did not impliment them he wished. We moved on. Perry is showing a good level of professionalism and Mills is back as president. To me, PHil was really the GM and mills did the financial stuff. When Phil came and Mills was named GM, it was in my opinion just a title.
Im rooting for these guys to do well. Perry in his short tenure I thought handled the MeloDrama well as did his boss, Mills.
Not seen or heard is Dolan.
This is about the most balanced front office we have had in a long time. MIlls had good reputation and credentials for the job. This is outside knicks record which I don't hold him responsible. Perry in Orlando as assistant we just don't know if he and Hennigan were on the same page. He was fired, and the assistant goes tool.
No starphuchs in this front office which some of you seem to want.

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
10/19/2017  2:56 PM
how much do you think gaines makes per year? I'm thinking 180k
nixluva
USA
10/19/2017  3:39 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
martin wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

He has an eye for talent

Didn't.
I specifically responded to the conjecture that he could leave because Mills/Perry showed him the door. Given the absence of any additional clarifying data, being moved from VP to scout is absolutely a demotion.

I can only assume Gaines is fine with his role. He could’ve quit. At his core I believe he’s happiest as a Scout.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/19/2017  4:32 PM
martin wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

He has an eye for talent

I think you are right. Remember the photo from summer league where Gaines and Mills appeared to be laughing at Melo's workout. There didn't seem to be any issues between Mills and Gaines and Gaines was around more at that time. Gaines still scouting for the Knicks is a good thing.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
10/19/2017  5:42 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

He has an eye for talent

I think you are right. Remember the photo from summer league where Gaines and Mills appeared to be laughing at Melo's workout. There didn't seem to be any issues between Mills and Gaines and Gaines was around more at that time. Gaines still scouting for the Knicks is a good thing.

Phil didn’t really seem to put much effort into staffing but Mills and Perry look to be much more focused on building a proper Front Office staff. Seems Phil’s lack of experience as an NBA Exec was most evident in this area and how he handled personnel overall. He needed an experienced Prez under him to help him it seems.

Bondy: Small Front Office Shake Ups

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy