[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Bondy: Small Front Office Shake Ups
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
10/18/2017  4:20 PM
Gaines from VP to scout. Bartelstein to consultant.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/melo-game-knicks-okc-paul-george-article-1.3572106

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/18/2017  4:28 PM
Clarence Gaines, who worked as Jackson's right-hand man the last three seasons, has been demoted from Vice President of Player Personnel to scout. Mark Warkentien, who was essentially brought from the Nuggets with Carmelo Anthony in 2011, is no longer the Director of Player Personnel. He is now listed as a consultant.

Despite very few people leaving the basketball operations staff, Perry and Mills made five new hires: Gerald Madkins (assistant GM), Craig Robinson (VP of player development), Harold Ellis (director of player personnel), Michael Arcieri (director of basketball strategy) and Fred Cofield (scout).

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/18/2017  6:49 PM
martin wrote:
Clarence Gaines, who worked as Jackson's right-hand man the last three seasons, has been demoted from Vice President of Player Personnel to scout. Mark Warkentien, who was essentially brought from the Nuggets with Carmelo Anthony in 2011, is no longer the Director of Player Personnel. He is now listed as a consultant.

Despite very few people leaving the basketball operations staff, Perry and Mills made five new hires: Gerald Madkins (assistant GM), Craig Robinson (VP of player development), Harold Ellis (director of player personnel), Michael Arcieri (director of basketball strategy) and Fred Cofield (scout).

Robinson's NBA front office resume is pretty sparse. I'm not sure this is the right move, not that I have much to go on.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/18/2017  6:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/18/2017  7:01 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:

Robinson's NBA front office resume is pretty sparse. I'm not sure this is the right move, not that I have much to go on.

What's a good example of a good NBA exec resume?

He was the head coach in Oregon. He has a back for player development. He's been around the generation coming up. Maybe he relates well and translates it well to players and management. He worked for the Bucks. The Knicks snatched him up. Maybe he's a refreshing voice. Maybe he adds something the office needs.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
BigDaddyG

10/18/2017  7:02 PM
EnySpree wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:

What's the definition of a good NBA exec resume?

He was the head coach in Oregon. He has a back for player development. He's been around the generation coming up. Maybe he relates well and translates it well to players and management. He worked for the Bucks. The Knicks snatched him up. Maybe he's a refreshing voice. Maybe he adds something the office needs.

He only worked for the bucks for like a year. No too much to go on

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/19/2017  7:27 AM
these guys have contracts and the biding their time. Gaines “demotion” has a nice ring to it making it sound bad. Truth is he is a lone wolf that has only worked with Phil the last 20 years. BTW, most of this was done over the summer. Warkentien was sort of demoted when Phil came aboard.
As for Resume’s, its not always what you did in support of an established exec that can be replicated. Sure, the SAS guys get big cred and Nets GM had to have a very clear path and patience from an owner to be effective with the mess Nets created. Remember, Billy king don’t do what he I’d without the owners blessing! Spurs Assistant GM is now the WOlves GM. Scotty Layden!!!!
Craig Robinson is a bright guy. His Sister is married to a bright guy also. Barak Obama!!!
mlby1215
Member: #6486

10/19/2017  8:36 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/19/2017  8:36 AM
It should not be a surprise. He was the right-hand man of Phil Jackson, not right-hand man of Steve Mills. Everything related to Phil jackson will be faded out, eventually. Mills won this power struggle and of course now he would put his people into important places to strengthen his positions. Phil Jackson took too much time to look at the basketball stuff. He should have watched a little bit more GoT. He had no friend in FO so at the end He died alone.

Nalod wrote:these guys have contracts and the biding their time. Gaines “demotion” has a nice ring to it making it sound bad. Truth is he is a lone wolf that has only worked with Phil the last 20 years. BTW, most of this was done over the summer. Warkentien was sort of demoted when Phil came aboard.
As for Resume's, its not always what you did in support of an established exec that can be replicated. Sure, the SAS guys get big cred and Nets GM had to have a very clear path and patience from an owner to be effective with the mess Nets created. Remember, Billy king don't do what he I'd without the owners blessing! Spurs Assistant GM is now the WOlves GM. Scotty Layden!!!!
Craig Robinson is a bright guy. His Sister is married to a bright guy also. Barak Obama!!!
BigDaddyG

10/19/2017  9:18 AM
Nalod wrote:these guys have contracts and the biding their time. Gaines “demotion” has a nice ring to it making it sound bad. Truth is he is a lone wolf that has only worked with Phil the last 20 years. BTW, most of this was done over the summer. Warkentien was sort of demoted when Phil came aboard.
As for Resume's, its not always what you did in support of an established exec that can be replicated. Sure, the SAS guys get big cred and Nets GM had to have a very clear path and patience from an owner to be effective with the mess Nets created. Remember, Billy king don't do what he I'd without the owners blessing! Spurs Assistant GM is now the WOlves GM. Scotty Layden!!!!

No doubt he's bright guy. But his experience seems to point more in the direction of a college AD than VP of Player Personnel. Not saying he can't do that job. There's nothing I can point to that says he can or can't do the job. I understand Perry and Mills have the right to pick who they want, just like we have the right to question who they pick. 'Little' 🏠 has contributed to some well known scouting decisions and some stinkers. He wasn't perfect, but he's shown that he's capable. Now he's being replaced by a guy who...I dunno. Didn't mean to make to big a deal out of it. I was kinda hoping someone could share more light on what he did with the Bucks.
Chandler
Member: #6197

10/19/2017  9:30 AM
If Gaines reacts by leaving this will go down as a dick move

He has an eye for talent

(5)(5)
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

10/19/2017  9:51 AM
Chandler wrote:If Gaines reacts by leaving this will go down as a dick move

He has an eye for talent

So did Isiah Thomas...Gaines aint the only one...He can be replaced. I would rather the new GM bring in his own guys; that way everyone is on the same page and their isn't any agendas...

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/19/2017  10:29 AM
Seems like an odd move with Gaines. His drafting has been the only bright spot for this franchise for
some time now. Thats the one place you would think where someone shouldn't be demoted. Im all in for putting in your own people, if the people already in place arent doing a good job. Doesnt seem to be the case with Gaines.

Warkentien hasnt moved the needle as far as I can tell since joining the organization, so that doesnt really bother me.

Chandler
Member: #6197

10/19/2017  10:31 AM
Uptown wrote:

He has an eye for talent

So did Isiah Thomas...Gaines aint the only one...He can be replaced. I would rather the new GM bring in his own guys; that way everyone is on the same page and their isn't any agendas...

yes, how can we forget Eddy Curry or Jerome James

(5)(5)
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/19/2017  10:34 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Seems like an odd move with Gaines. His drafting has been the only bright spot for this franchise for
some time now. Thats the one place you would think where someone shouldn't be demoted. Im all in for putting in your own people, if the people already in place arent doing a good job. Doesnt seem to be the case with Gaines.

Warkentien hasnt moved the needle as far as I can tell since joining the organization, so that doesnt really bother me.

Isn't scout the perfect place for Gaines? I actually don't know what the title VP of Player Personnel means but scout seems right for what Gaines purports to bring?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
10/19/2017  10:39 AM
JAX MINIONS DEMOTED

The transition from Phil Jackson to the Steve Mills/Scott Perry leadership didn’t result in an overhaul of the front office. Almost everyone who worked under Jackson remains with the organization.

But there were a couple telling changes to job titles.

Clarence Gaines, who worked as Jackson’s right-hand man the last three seasons, has been demoted from Vice President of Player Personnel to scout. Mark Warkentien, who essentially brought with Carmelo Anthony from the Nuggets in 2011, is no longer the Director of Player Personnel. He is now listed as a consultant. Those are newly-created positions because Perry and Mills made five hires: Gerald Madkins (assistant GM), Craig Robinson (VP of player development), Harold Ellis (director of player personnel), Michael Arcieri (director of basketball strategy) and Fred Cofield (scout).

This why I stopped reading the NY tabloids. Sensationalism at its best. Just report it.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/19/2017  10:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/19/2017  10:48 AM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Seems like an odd move with Gaines. His drafting has been the only bright spot for this franchise for

Isn't scout the perfect place for Gaines? I actually don't know what the title VP of Player Personnel means but scout seems right for what Gaines purports to bring?

I was under the impression that VP compiles all the available information from scouts, film, etc. Helps the GM make the call on who to sign, draft.

Unless Gaines didn't show that he could handle the job, I dont see the point. How many execs have done anything in this organization over the last two decades to earn a promotion? Thats why this move is puzzling.

As I said, if the job was too big for Gaines, thats another story. Will be interesting to see how his replacement does.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
10/19/2017  10:50 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
JAX MINIONS DEMOTED

The transition from Phil Jackson to the Steve Mills/Scott Perry leadership didn’t result in an overhaul of the front office. Almost everyone who worked under Jackson remains with the organization.

Clarence Gaines, who worked as Jackson’s right-hand man the last three seasons, has been demoted from Vice President of Player Personnel to scout. Mark Warkentien, who essentially brought with Carmelo Anthony from the Nuggets in 2011, is no longer the Director of Player Personnel. He is now listed as a consultant. Those are newly-created positions because Perry and Mills made five hires: Gerald Madkins (assistant GM), Craig Robinson (VP of player development), Harold Ellis (director of player personnel), Michael Arcieri (director of basketball strategy) and Fred Cofield (scout).

This why I stopped reading the NY tabloids. Sensationalism at its best. Just report it.

Says Jacksons "minions" yet in this little snippet. Gaines is the only one with ties to Phil. While Warkentien was tied to Melo apparently. And for all we know Gaines request to just be a scout and might not want the responsibility of being DOPR given his lone wolf characteristics.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
10/19/2017  10:51 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
JAX MINIONS DEMOTED

Says Jacksons "minions" yet in this little snippet. Gaines is the only one with ties to Phil. While Warkentien was tied to Melo apparently. And for all we know Gaines request to just be a scout and might not want the responsibility of being DOPR given his lone wolf characteristics.

Exactly

Uptown

10/19/2017  11:52 AM
Chandler wrote:
Uptown wrote:

He has an eye for talent

yes, how can we forget Eddy Curry or Jerome James

And while you are at it, lets also forget about Lee, Frye, Nate and Wilson Chandler. BTW, Gaines was a scout and special assistant to the GM oversseing college, high school and overseas prospects for the Bulls from 89-2000. Does he get credit or is he exempt from drafting busts like Mark Randall, Byron Houston, Corie Blount and Dickey Simpkins?

All scouts, even the great make mistakes from time to time. Thats wasn't the point I was making and you know that. My point was a new GM should be allowed to bring in his own staff.

Uptown

10/19/2017  12:01 PM

He's been a scout for most of his basketball life. The role fits...With that said, I'm not getting the big fuss over Gaines...He's a good scout but I dont believe he is irreplacebale...

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/19/2017  12:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/19/2017  12:11 PM

He has an eye for talent

Agreed, lets get rid of the one guy directly responsible for the only bright spots that can be salvaged from the carcass of the Melo era. Smart.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Bondy: Small Front Office Shake Ups

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy