[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Marcus Smart an option for the future? How would he fit?
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
10/18/2017  11:31 AM
Next summer he will be a restricted free agent and fits the bill of a young, defensive minded player. He is a combo guard who would in theory fit pretty nicely alongside Ntilikina, with Hardaway moving to the 3. Boston probably won't match a big contact with their current roster construction, so the option would be there. Is he a good option? What would we need to do to clear the cap space necessary? Would dealing Lee and stretching Noah be enough?
AUTOADVERT
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

10/18/2017  11:50 AM
He also fits pretty nicely alongside his Celtics teammates...Ainge would have to be a complete idiot to let him go. He ain't coming here....
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/18/2017  12:00 PM
Uptown wrote:He also fits pretty nicely alongside his Celtics teammates...Ainge would have to be a complete idiot to let him go. He ain't coming here....
they all fit nicely under rookie contracts. Lets see how nicely he fits for $15-$20mm a year.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Welpee
Member: #6239

10/18/2017  1:30 PM
With Hayward out would they have interest in Courtney Lee?
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/18/2017  1:35 PM
Welpee wrote:With Hayward out would they have interest in Courtney Lee?

Probably,but not for Smart. I like smart, but I think the THJ signing makes it tough to sign him. THj can spot us minutes at three, but that's not his real position and it would hurt us long-term. Plus, our salary cap situation is a little shaky.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Chandler
Member: #6197

10/18/2017  1:55 PM
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:He also fits pretty nicely alongside his Celtics teammates...Ainge would have to be a complete idiot to let him go. He ain't coming here....
they all fit nicely under rookie contracts. Lets see how nicely he fits for $15-$20mm a year.

exactly. will be very interesting to see how that develops. A lot of teams would like Smart -- totally an issue of price.

(5)(5)
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/18/2017  2:44 PM
Hes a good player in many areas--but the scary part on him is hes a career 35% shooter. Thats really low for a hybrid guard. Chauncey Billups was a good player who shot a poor%--even a champion--so if you look at it that way--there is a case to be made--BUT the NBA is also a different beast now.
RIP Crushalot😞
Chandler
Member: #6197

10/18/2017  2:54 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Hes a good player in many areas--but the scary part on him is hes a career 35% shooter. Thats really low for a hybrid guard. Chauncey Billups was a good player who shot a poor%--even a champion--so if you look at it that way--there is a case to be made--BUT the NBA is also a different beast now.

shooting stinks. to his credit though he hits clutch shots. also he is a very effective and efficient passer.

He's very tenacious and a bit of a cuckoo bird -- a bit like Artest/MWP and Rodman in that regard. He needs to be in the right environment and system IMO

(5)(5)
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

10/18/2017  4:51 PM
I thought Ron Baker was NYs Marcus Smart.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/18/2017  5:13 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:I thought Ron Baker was NYs Marcus Smart.

Thats a decent comparison but Baker can't score

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/18/2017  5:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/18/2017  5:55 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

Probably,but not for Smart. I like smart, but I think the THJ signing makes it tough to sign him. THj can spot us minutes at three, but that's not his real position and it would hurt us long-term. Plus, our salary cap situation is a little shaky.

I would much rather have Smart at a reasonable contract than THJR

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
BigDaddyG

10/18/2017  6:36 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Hes a good player in many areas--but the scary part on him is hes a career 35% shooter. Thats really low for a hybrid guard. Chauncey Billups was a good player who shot a poor%--even a champion--so if you look at it that way--there is a case to be made--BUT the NBA is also a different beast now.

The difference is that Chauncey got to the line a lot and shoot a good percentage from three, so it made for the low three point %. If you do that, than you can still maintain a decent efficiency. Marcus has been trying to improve that 3 for a while now.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG

10/18/2017  6:39 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

That depends. If Porter or Doncic are the goal, then THj helps us out more.

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

10/18/2017  9:43 PM
EnySpree wrote:

Baker can score...and his shot is better than Smart....he also has a higher BBIQ....smart at 15 - 20 mill is not worth it....$hit...give me tony Allen for vet min

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/19/2017  12:47 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

We are stockpiling assets. Smart is going to be more valuable than THJR even as a futures trade asset. Then if we get one of those high picks we can decide who to trade.

If you are saying THJR will be better for us to go tank mode then maybe you have something there.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
BigDaddyG

10/19/2017  4:21 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

We are stockpiling assets. Smart is going to be more valuable than THJR even as a futures trade asset. Then if we get one of those high picks we can decide who to trade.

If you are saying THJR will be better for us to go tank mode then maybe you have something there.

That's what I mean. THJ is better for the tank. Marcus is too fiery and competitive for our rebuilding needs right now.
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
10/19/2017  8:24 AM
After Ainge screwed up trading both defensive aces in Crowder and A Bradley, he may be reluctant to trade Smart. I like Smart, his tenacity, his willingness to continue to improve (check out the growth of his 3 PT %). Yet remember. He’s ideally not a starter but on a contending team, he’s a cog that can make a solid team even better.
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
10/19/2017  8:28 AM
ekstarks94 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

Baker can score...and his shot is better than Smart....he also has a higher BBIQ....smart at 15 - 20 mill is not worth it....$hit...give me tony Allen for vet min

Since when is Ron Baker our M Smart. No way. Notnon offense or certainly not on defense. Smart can guartnat least 3 positions on the Court. Forget his career 3 PT shooting. After mid season he shot over 35% from 3. His a winner in my opinion and I assume that matters.

Marcus Smart an option for the future? How would he fit?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy