[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Marcus Smart an option for the future? How would he fit?
Author Thread
Knixkik
Posts: 28473
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #11
USA
10/18/2017  11:31 AM
Next summer he will be a restricted free agent and fits the bill of a young, defensive minded player. He is a combo guard who would in theory fit pretty nicely alongside Ntilikina, with Hardaway moving to the 3. Boston probably won't match a big contact with their current roster construction, so the option would be there. Is he a good option? What would we need to do to clear the cap space necessary? Would dealing Lee and stretching Noah be enough?
AUTOADVERT
Uptown
Posts: 26284
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 4/1/2008
Member: #1883

10/18/2017  11:50 AM
He also fits pretty nicely alongside his Celtics teammates...Ainge would have to be a complete idiot to let him go. He ain't coming here....
fishmike
Posts: 47706
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/19/2002
Member: #298
USA
10/18/2017  12:00 PM
Uptown wrote:He also fits pretty nicely alongside his Celtics teammates...Ainge would have to be a complete idiot to let him go. He ain't coming here....
they all fit nicely under rookie contracts. Lets see how nicely he fits for $15-$20mm a year.
fishmike - Making UltimateKnicks great again
Welpee
Posts: 21617
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/22/2016
Member: #6239

10/18/2017  1:30 PM
With Hayward out would they have interest in Courtney Lee?
BigDaddyG
Posts: 25029
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

10/18/2017  1:35 PM
Welpee wrote:With Hayward out would they have interest in Courtney Lee?

Probably,but not for Smart. I like smart, but I think the THJ signing makes it tough to sign him. THj can spot us minutes at three, but that's not his real position and it would hurt us long-term. Plus, our salary cap situation is a little shaky.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Chandler
Posts: 22315
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/26/2015
Member: #6197

10/18/2017  1:55 PM
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:He also fits pretty nicely alongside his Celtics teammates...Ainge would have to be a complete idiot to let him go. He ain't coming here....
they all fit nicely under rookie contracts. Lets see how nicely he fits for $15-$20mm a year.

exactly. will be very interesting to see how that develops. A lot of teams would like Smart -- totally an issue of price.

DJMUSIC: Fisher talked a good game in Post game but aside from that Derek Fisher was ALL CHIT CHAT SH_t and produced nothing!
BRIGGS
Posts: 49451
Alba Posts: 8
Joined: 7/30/2002
Member: #303
10/18/2017  2:44 PM
Hes a good player in many areas--but the scary part on him is hes a career 35% shooter. Thats really low for a hybrid guard. Chauncey Billups was a good player who shot a poor%--even a champion--so if you look at it that way--there is a case to be made--BUT the NBA is also a different beast now.
Chandler
Posts: 22315
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/26/2015
Member: #6197

10/18/2017  2:54 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Hes a good player in many areas--but the scary part on him is hes a career 35% shooter. Thats really low for a hybrid guard. Chauncey Billups was a good player who shot a poor%--even a champion--so if you look at it that way--there is a case to be made--BUT the NBA is also a different beast now.

shooting stinks. to his credit though he hits clutch shots. also he is a very effective and efficient passer.

He's very tenacious and a bit of a cuckoo bird -- a bit like Artest/MWP and Rodman in that regard. He needs to be in the right environment and system IMO

DJMUSIC: Fisher talked a good game in Post game but aside from that Derek Fisher was ALL CHIT CHAT SH_t and produced nothing!
yellowboy90
Posts: 33907
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 4/23/2011
Member: #3538

10/18/2017  4:51 PM
I thought Ron Baker was NYs Marcus Smart.
EnySpree
Posts: 43916
Alba Posts: 138
Joined: 4/18/2003
Member: #397

10/18/2017  5:13 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:I thought Ron Baker was NYs Marcus Smart.

Thats a decent comparison but Baker can't score

You know why I'm here....
meloshouldgo
Posts: 23985
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 5/3/2014
Member: #5801

10/18/2017  5:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/18/2017  5:55 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Welpee wrote:With Hayward out would they have interest in Courtney Lee?

Probably,but not for Smart. I like smart, but I think the THJ signing makes it tough to sign him. THj can spot us minutes at three, but that's not his real position and it would hurt us long-term. Plus, our salary cap situation is a little shaky.

I would much rather have Smart at a reasonable contract than THJR

The only things that trickle down are wages and horse shit
BigDaddyG
Posts: 25029
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

10/18/2017  6:36 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Hes a good player in many areas--but the scary part on him is hes a career 35% shooter. Thats really low for a hybrid guard. Chauncey Billups was a good player who shot a poor%--even a champion--so if you look at it that way--there is a case to be made--BUT the NBA is also a different beast now.

The difference is that Chauncey got to the line a lot and shoot a good percentage from three, so it made for the low three point %. If you do that, than you can still maintain a decent efficiency. Marcus has been trying to improve that 3 for a while now.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG
Posts: 25029
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

10/18/2017  6:39 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Welpee wrote:With Hayward out would they have interest in Courtney Lee?

Probably,but not for Smart. I like smart, but I think the THJ signing makes it tough to sign him. THj can spot us minutes at three, but that's not his real position and it would hurt us long-term. Plus, our salary cap situation is a little shaky.

I would much rather have Smart at a reasonable contract than THJR

That depends. If Porter or Doncic are the goal, then THj helps us out more.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
ekstarks94
Posts: 20377
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/5/2015
Member: #6104

10/18/2017  9:43 PM
EnySpree wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:I thought Ron Baker was NYs Marcus Smart.

Thats a decent comparison but Baker can't score

Baker can score...and his shot is better than Smart....he also has a higher BBIQ....smart at 15 - 20 mill is not worth it....$hit...give me tony Allen for vet min

meloshouldgo
Posts: 23985
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 5/3/2014
Member: #5801

10/19/2017  12:47 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Welpee wrote:With Hayward out would they have interest in Courtney Lee?

Probably,but not for Smart. I like smart, but I think the THJ signing makes it tough to sign him. THj can spot us minutes at three, but that's not his real position and it would hurt us long-term. Plus, our salary cap situation is a little shaky.

I would much rather have Smart at a reasonable contract than THJR

That depends. If Porter or Doncic are the goal, then THj helps us out more.

We are stockpiling assets. Smart is going to be more valuable than THJR even as a futures trade asset. Then if we get one of those high picks we can decide who to trade.

If you are saying THJR will be better for us to go tank mode then maybe you have something there.

The only things that trickle down are wages and horse shit
BigDaddyG
Posts: 25029
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

10/19/2017  4:21 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Welpee wrote:With Hayward out would they have interest in Courtney Lee?

Probably,but not for Smart. I like smart, but I think the THJ signing makes it tough to sign him. THj can spot us minutes at three, but that's not his real position and it would hurt us long-term. Plus, our salary cap situation is a little shaky.

I would much rather have Smart at a reasonable contract than THJR

That depends. If Porter or Doncic are the goal, then THj helps us out more.

We are stockpiling assets. Smart is going to be more valuable than THJR even as a futures trade asset. Then if we get one of those high picks we can decide who to trade.

If you are saying THJR will be better for us to go tank mode then maybe you have something there.


That's what I mean. THJ is better for the tank. Marcus is too fiery and competitive for our rebuilding needs right now.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Paris907
Posts: 20763
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/4/2015
Member: #6099
USA
10/19/2017  8:24 AM
After Ainge screwed up trading both defensive aces in Crowder and A Bradley, he may be reluctant to trade Smart. I like Smart, his tenacity, his willingness to continue to improve (check out the growth of his 3 PT %). Yet remember. He’s ideally not a starter but on a contending team, he’s a cog that can make a solid team even better.
Paris907
Posts: 20763
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/4/2015
Member: #6099
USA
10/19/2017  8:28 AM
ekstarks94 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:I thought Ron Baker was NYs Marcus Smart.

Thats a decent comparison but Baker can't score

Baker can score...and his shot is better than Smart....he also has a higher BBIQ....smart at 15 - 20 mill is not worth it....$hit...give me tony Allen for vet min

Since when is Ron Baker our M Smart. No way. Notnon offense or certainly not on defense. Smart can guartnat least 3 positions on the Court. Forget his career 3 PT shooting. After mid season he shot over 35% from 3. His a winner in my opinion and I assume that matters.

Marcus Smart an option for the future? How would he fit?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.