[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

ROTO leagues, Wily and Kanter
Author Thread
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

10/8/2017  10:55 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/8/2017  10:56 PM
I play a lot of Roto Leagues in fantasy BBall- and it's a hard format to assess players in because after the top few players no one plays well across multiple categories. So I was trying to come up with a way to sort players that would give equal weight to each of the standard Roto categories.

Step one - I downloaded season totals for ALL NBA players from last season
Step two - Eliminated all players with less than a 1000 total minutes of play
Step three - Calculated the league average for each category from the remaining player stats
Step four - For each player counted how many categories they bettered the league average
Step five - eliminated all players that didn't beat the league average in at least 4 standard ROTO categories
Step six - Calculated the average for each category based on the new subset of players
Step seven - Divided each players season total by the average. If the average was 900 points and Durant had 1560 points his score in the points column would be (1560/900) a player with 850 points would have 850/900
(This allows each category to be scored independent of each other but normalized to baseline)
Step Eight - Added up the scores across the categories to see who had the highest combined score
(I flipped the formula for TOs since it's a negative stat)

Harden, Westbrook, Curry and the Greek Freak were my top 4 (no surprise)
The top 10 are predictable but no KD - then it gets interesting

Otto Porter beats out KD by a smidge, because in more than 2600 minutes over 80 games he had ONLY 44 TOs so his score in the TO columns was 2.9
Some other real value (in auction drafts for Roto) were Marc Gasol, Klay and Ariza

Now to the Knicks -

Billy scored 6.98 on the weighted score having played 1324 total minutes
Kanter scored 7.0 on the weighted score having played 1533 total minutes

If I had calculated per minute or per 36, Billy was lot better than Kanter.

Just thought this was interesting since Kanter is often made out to be a lot better than Hernangomez. I think based on this I would argue they are very close and Billy has a slight edge. He was putting up points when being largely ignored by Rose while Kanter was being spoon fed by Russel.

I am not saying Otto Porter is better player than KD - needed to call that out, but if you were in a fantasy Roto league with standard categories - he was more slightly valuable than KD last year.

Standard cats - FG%, 3PM, FT%, REB, AST, STL, BLK, PTS, TO

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/8/2017  11:12 PM
Great post. Joe C and Eny used to have Yahoo leagues with UK posters that were a lot of fun. Guys that post here know their stuff and the leagues were competitive.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
meloshouldgo

10/8/2017  11:24 PM
I missed naming Teague and Turner among the value players, though Turner is starting to get very expensive in auction drafts.
meloshouldgo

10/8/2017  11:25 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Great post. Joe C and Eny used to have Yahoo leagues with UK posters that were a lot of fun. Guys that post here know their stuff and the leagues were competitive.

Thanks - for some reason I never thought of asking people here to join, but not everyone likes auction drafts.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/8/2017  11:31 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Great post. Joe C and Eny used to have Yahoo leagues with UK posters that were a lot of fun. Guys that post here know their stuff and the leagues were competitive.

Thanks - for some reason I never thought of asking people here to join, but not everyone likes auction drafts.

If it is your league I think you should put it out there. I haven't done an auction league but I would join.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

10/9/2017  9:31 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/9/2017  9:33 AM
I don't know anything about ROTO but real quick on Willy and Kanter -- I LOVE both guys. We're real fortunate to have two VERY SKILLED young bigs like that. I see the frontcourt shaping up like this (God willing they're all healthy when it counts):

5 - Willy
4 - KP
3 - McDermott
--------------------
Backup 5 - Kanter (who then gets additional mins. at the 4 - I want Kanter playing 35 mins. + a night)
Backup 4 - O'Quinn (Kanter)
Backup 3 - Beasley (LT, Kuz?)

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/9/2017  10:20 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/9/2017  10:21 AM

Alot of fun for some... Not for me. Getting threats and constantly getting cursed out via email by internet people is not fun. All for a free league just for fun.

I have been thinking about it again. I could start a league today if you guys want. I just don't want to deal with drama.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
meloshouldgo

10/9/2017  10:56 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

If it is your league I think you should put it out there. I haven't done an auction league but I would join.

yeah, my league is now full and I don't want another one to commish. Maybe next year

meloshouldgo

10/9/2017  10:58 AM
EnySpree wrote:

Alot of fun for some... Not for me. Getting threats and constantly getting cursed out via email by internet people is not fun. All for a free league just for fun.

I have been thinking about it again. I could start a league today if you guys want. I just don't want to deal with drama.

if you set it up, I will join. But auction draft only, I don't do snake drafts. Auction draft helps to eliminate luck from the equation as much as possible.

meloshouldgo

10/9/2017  11:01 AM
Finestrg wrote:I don't know anything about ROTO but real quick on Willy and Kanter -- I LOVE both guys. We're real fortunate to have two VERY SKILLED young bigs like that. I see the frontcourt shaping up like this (God willing they're all healthy when it counts):

5 - Willy
4 - KP
3 - McDermott
--------------------
Backup 5 - Kanter (who then gets additional mins. at the 4 - I want Kanter playing 35 mins. + a night)

As long as Billy starts, I am good. If I see him being made to back up Kanter, I will be very pissed. He has earned his role on this team, Kanter has not. Of he doesn't get to start after the last season, I can see him coming in without energy or a positive framer of mind.

Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

10/9/2017  11:41 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Finestrg wrote:I don't know anything about ROTO but real quick on Willy and Kanter -- I LOVE both guys. We're real fortunate to have two VERY SKILLED young bigs like that. I see the frontcourt shaping up like this (God willing they're all healthy when it counts):

5 - Willy
4 - KP
3 - McDermott
--------------------

As long as Billy starts, I am good. If I see him being made to back up Kanter, I will be very pissed. He has earned his role on this team, Kanter has not. Of he doesn't get to start after the last season, I can see him coming in without energy or a positive framer of mind.

I could go either way (I'm a BIG Kanter guy) but I agree with your assessment -- Willy's been here and probably deserves the nod. I'd be good with that too. I just want Kanter to see a lot of time this year in order for us to make a fair evaluation of him. I'm tellin' ya, this dude Kanter's a 20/10 guy EASY with enough mins. and touches. And Willy's come along nicely. Very good tandem right there.

meloshouldgo

10/9/2017  11:53 AM
But the old fashioned stats are showing Willy is more productive, if you give them both the same minutes he should come out ahead. Now Bonn well come in and talk about Win Shares but I think those are more a function of the team you are on and less a function of you as a player. I am willing to predict Kanter's elite win share is about to take nosedive this season.
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
10/9/2017  12:23 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:

5 - Willy
4 - KP
3 - McDermott
--------------------

This team won 20 games or so last year. NO ONE earned a role on this team. Everyone should be evaluated, new and returning players. Compete, produce and then you earn a spot. Willy doesn't seem the type of person to hold a grudge and not hustle if he isn't starting. If he does then maybe he's not the player we are looking for.

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
meloshouldgo

10/9/2017  5:52 PM
Starting role should be assigned based on who plays best in any position not the W-L total.
Willy and KP were out best 5/4 combination, they should start. If they play badly that can change again.
ROTO leagues, Wily and Kanter

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy