[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What are the chances, and when was the last time, that...
Author Thread
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
10/4/2017  6:32 PM
coach sticks around to the end of his contract? I am pulling for him.
This team needs some stability, and it would be a good sign that things have changed.

Fisher
Woodson
MDA
IT
Larry Brown
Wilkens
Don Chaney

I think you have to go back to Van Gundy.
Jeez, 16 years and 7 coaches fired (not counting Rambis and Herb (interim coaches)).
Probably 3 of them HOFers (Brown, Wilkens, and MDA).

Go Jeff!

AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
10/4/2017  6:54 PM
It would be nice to have a coach stay long enough to establish an identity with this team. I suspect that Jeff has to show he's helping to elevate the play of these players not just the W/L but that they're playing the right way and improving on both ends.

This year he's starting from scratch almost since this team doesn't have a proven focal point after the Melo Trade. This offense has to be tailored to the strengths of these players and help them figure out how to execute as a team. More importantly he's gonna have to show some discernible improvement on D. That's going to be his toughest task.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/4/2017  7:20 PM
This is NY, expectations are unrealistic. Hard to see any coach last the entire contract period. The trolls want blood. The stars want to get their shots, the fans want to rebuild and win at the same time. Nalod wants to get high
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

10/4/2017  7:22 PM
If the defense played last night is what we play in the season....the whole coaching staff is out....Jeff is not Perry's guy...he will give him a shot...but Jeff has to overperform.....not necessarily wins, but individual development and team development....if we play a lot of teams close with decent defense and KP & Tim light it up and Frank is playing decent he will lock in his third year.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/4/2017  7:38 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:If the defense played last night is what we play in the season....the whole coaching staff is out....Jeff is not Perry's guy...he will give him a shot...but Jeff has to overperform.....not necessarily wins, but individual development and team development....if we play a lot of teams close with decent defense and KP & Tim light it up and Frank is playing decent he will lock in his third year.
Great points. It will be interesting to see how the defense looks on Friday. It is preseason but Jeff said that he and the coaching staff worked all summer on coming up with ways to improve the defense. Phil, Melo and the triangle are gone. Hopefully that is enough of a fresh start for Jeff to make things work.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/4/2017  8:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/4/2017  8:02 PM
We have been a toxic franchise all this time. We're in a new light now. Hopefully we can change the narrative. I believe in horny. its a great point that you say hes not Perry's guy. Is something to look for. Right now it's all about enjoying was happening you have to let it play out
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/4/2017  8:54 PM
Jeff is Phil's guy. Good guy, good coach.
Let's see how he does thru the season.
Blatt looms.
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
10/4/2017  10:14 PM
Jeff is a good guy and yes Phil’s Guy. Rambis no longer belongs. Fact is, this team as configured lacks toughness. Not the 1990s Oakley/mcDaniels/sparks/defense but I don’t see the toughness. Name 1 guy! One?
It ain’t Lee or Kuz or KP and it ain’t Beasley or Tim. This will Be Noah’s Job for Now to instill in these guys a toughness that isn’t there.
I remember posting that I wanted a 25 year old Paul Milsap, someone who will play both ends, score 20 and board and get a stop whenever required.

Wily is a ? Mark. And I don’t follow how Kanter can Be such an animal inside so he can score but not in defense.
He was ranked 63/66 defensively. Sorry but that’s work ethic!

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
10/4/2017  11:05 PM
I agree with the sentaminent though Woodson wasn't fired, he wasn't renewed. So technically he stuck out his contract.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
CrushAlot
USA
10/4/2017  11:19 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:I agree with the sentaminent though Woodson wasn't fired, he wasn't renewed. So technically he stuck out his contract.

Woodson had a year left on his deal. Dantoni was 24 games away but he resigned.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/4/2017  11:34 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:I agree with the sentaminent though Woodson wasn't fired, he wasn't renewed. So technically he stuck out his contract.

Hmm, always thought his contract expired

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
CrushAlot
USA
10/5/2017  5:43 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Hmm, always thought his contract expired

I thought he was fired. It was Phil's first big move. I googled it when you said his. contract had d
A bunch of articles came up. I read the ESPN article. He had a year left.
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/5/2017  9:38 AM
Panos wrote:coach sticks around to the end of his contract? I am pulling for him.
This team needs some stability, and it would be a good sign that things have changed.

Fisher
Woodson
MDA
IT
Larry Brown
Wilkens
Don Chaney

Jeez, 16 years and 7 coaches fired (not counting Rambis and Herb (interim coaches)).

Go Jeff!

when your losing, the coach gets fired or quits..

The only way you get stability is winning, period, bottom line, point blank, which is what JVG did.

jh will be fired if he doesn't produce wins, regardless of the direction. there not many caochs that can keep their jobs after more than 2 losing seasons, especially if your not derailed by injuries and you have some talent.

Remember when ewing broke his wrist midway through the season, he miss 37 games and we still made the playoffs, without our best player..thats coaching

ES
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

10/5/2017  9:40 AM
Panos wrote:coach sticks around to the end of his contract? I am pulling for him.

Fisher
Woodson
MDA
IT
Larry Brown
Wilkens
Don Chaney

Go Jeff!

Tenure comes with winning. Unfortunately, I don't see this team winning any time soon. First guy to go will be the coach.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

10/5/2017  10:06 AM

Fisher
Woodson
MDA
IT
Larry Brown
Wilkens
Don Chaney

Go Jeff!

Tenure comes with winning. Unfortunately, I don't see this team winning any time soon. First guy to go will be the coach. But agree that having consistency would be a good change.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Panos
Member: #520
10/5/2017  10:20 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:

Fisher
Woodson
MDA
IT
Larry Brown
Wilkens
Don Chaney

Go Jeff!

Tenure comes with winning. Unfortunately, I don't see this team winning any time soon. First guy to go will be the coach.

Winning also comes with good players that get paid what their worth (or less), and a good environment where players (and management) are accountable.
Did the winning come after any of those 7 coaches get fired? No. Because neither of the above two things held true.
Now this group in particular is not winning anything anytime soon. It is rebuilding. If they're not winning, it is not Jeff's fault.

knicks1248
Member: #582
10/5/2017  10:47 AM
Panos wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Fisher
Woodson
MDA
IT
Larry Brown
Wilkens
Don Chaney

Go Jeff!

Winning also comes with good players that get paid what their worth (or less), and a good environment where players (and management) are accountable.
Did the winning come after any of those 7 coaches get fired? No. Because neither of the above two things held true.
Now this group in particular is not winning anything anytime soon. It is rebuilding. If they're not winning, it is not Jeff's fault.

The coach is always the scape goat, because the coach is suppose to put his players in position to be successful.

This is not a full rebuild because more than half the roster are veterans, especially the players that will be part of the rotation, not to mention your bringing back 70% of the roster.

ES
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/5/2017  11:02 AM
Panos wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Fisher
Woodson
MDA
IT
Larry Brown
Wilkens
Don Chaney

Go Jeff!

100% agree. The goal is to develop the players. I think our guys (as a group) have a good worth ethic. An uptempo offense ensures there are more shots to go around.

Bottom line I like Jeff and I think he deserves no less than a 2 year look. He's a pro. He's a good communicator. He had some players that were going to do things their way, and a FO that wanted things done their way. Jeff is qualified. Let him do his job. I would like to see him stay as well.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Uptown
Member: #1883

10/5/2017  11:26 AM
Panos wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Fisher
Woodson
MDA
IT
Larry Brown
Wilkens
Don Chaney

Go Jeff!

True on all accounts, however, despite the losses we need to see court-improvement particulary on the defensive end. Also, he is still not Perry's guy. Perry may have someone mind...time will tell.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/5/2017  11:36 AM
Uptown wrote:
Panos wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Fisher
Woodson
MDA
IT
Larry Brown
Wilkens
Don Chaney

Go Jeff!

True on all accounts, however, despite the losses we need to see court-improvement particulary on the defensive end. Also, he is still not Perry's guy. Perry may have someone mind...time will tell.

that might be your first "culture" test. Jeff has a good skill set for this job. If there is a change there needs to be a lot more of a reason than not being Perry's guy.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
What are the chances, and when was the last time, that...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy