[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Ewing effect this season?
Author Thread
KP4Life
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6117
USA
9/24/2017  11:55 AM
I've heard when Ewing got traded that the team went on a win streak. I wonder if this will happen with melo trade.
AUTOADVERT
Gudris
Member: #6213

9/24/2017  12:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/24/2017  12:32 PM
KP4Life wrote:I've heard when Ewing got traded that the team went on a win streak. I wonder if this will happen with melo trade.

This very big possibility

Psychologically it could open up players minds and they can start to perform much better

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/26/2017  6:13 PM
Oh yes, I remember how excited I was to watch Glen Rice and Travis Knight and the rest of the flotsam that ushered in the ShandonBlanderSpoon era...

Winning with one unicorn, a 71 million dollar someone that was signed just to spite Chief Triangle, a bunch of untried yoots and a pile of steaming trade sheehit. And a possible lame duck coach from the past regime.

This has 40-game win streak written all over it!

Melo was not Ewing.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/26/2017  6:56 PM
jrodmc wrote:Oh yes, I remember how excited I was to watch Glen Rice and Travis Knight and the rest of the flotsam that ushered in the ShandonBlanderSpoon era...

Winning with one unicorn, a 71 million dollar someone that was signed just to spite Chief Triangle, a bunch of untried yoots and a pile of steaming trade sheehit. And a possible lame duck coach from the past regime.

Melo was not Ewing.

Do you think the team is going to have a worse or better record than last year?

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/26/2017  7:09 PM
jrodmc wrote:Oh yes, I remember how excited I was to watch Glen Rice and Travis Knight and the rest of the flotsam that ushered in the ShandonBlanderSpoon era...

Melo was not Ewing.

We also don't have a young player like Marcus Camby waiting in the wings to sop up Melo:s minutes at forward.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/26/2017  8:06 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:

Melo was not Ewing.

bait question!
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
9/26/2017  8:43 PM

Melo was not Ewing.

This true. Not even close.
So him being out should make no difference.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Welpee
Member: #6239

9/26/2017  9:35 PM
KP4Life wrote:I've heard when Ewing got traded that the team went on a win streak. I wonder if this will happen with melo trade.
You're joking right?
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/26/2017  10:18 PM
I honestly cant remember (just who we got back) and if they did it was a sugar high. This deal pretty much set the tone for the franchise up to last season. No interest in revisting that time.
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

9/26/2017  10:47 PM

A lot of the Knicks fortunes will rest on

A) Zinger breaking out or not AND his health
B) The health in general of a gutted Eastern Conference

The Knicks are overloaded at the pivot and Zinger's ceiling is a super elite Stretch 5. If and when he can play consistently and dominate at center, the Knicks will shift as a team.

I don't think this is a playoff team. But 2nd half of the year, against gutted teams, teams trading out their players to tank and better Eastern teams resting their core of the playoffs, the Knicks can cash in some wins there.

jrodmc
USA
9/27/2017  8:56 AM
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Melo was not Ewing.

bait question!

Easy fish, I got this one. Hmmmmm, this looks tasty...

32 wins is doable, only because I think the east is going to be weaker overall. I hate what Ainge did to the Celtics. I don't think the Sixers are going to figure it out this season, but they are starting to look scary if that core stays together. Everyone else stayed pat.

Better record than last year.

But back on topic, I think there will be no Melo-effect. No post trade high morning after win streak. I seriously think our defense is going to suhuck. Nitti is going to be abused on both ends by the refs. I see those long arms getting in foul trouble very quickly.

Was that a hook?

jrodmc
USA
9/27/2017  8:57 AM
arkrud wrote:

Melo was not Ewing.

This true. Not even close.
So him being out should make no difference.

No tkf, it just means there's not going to be a win streak to start the season based on Melo being gone.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

9/27/2017  8:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/27/2017  9:03 AM

The fact the Triangle is gone is a bigger catalyst. Imo

Also, post Ewing year had no established stars. Think KP won't sneak up on anyone anymore. It's up to the guys that are not yet proven. If they have a break out year, then think we can surprise.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
fishmike
USA
9/27/2017  9:30 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:

Also, post Ewing year had no established stars. Think KP won't sneak up on anyone anymore. It's up to the guys that are not yet proven. If they have a break out year, then think we can surprise.

I think the biggest step forward will be guard play. We may not have Westbrook or Curry but at least we have some ponies that can run now. Last year Rose and Jennings didnt work out. Really bad ideas/moves from Phil. Just not good fits. Baker was a cute story and maybe he sticks, but he shot about 38% and thats just awful. Jeff just didnt have a lot of options.

This year he has Sessions, Jack, Frank and Baker. Lee was solid last year and Timmy and Dotson add some nice depth there also.

Again... not world beaters but man our guard play was just so bad last year. I am looking forward to see what Jeff can do with this group and I think its a better, younger and more diverse group for him to work with.

Melo didnt have a great year but if we win more games and play better I doubt it has anything to do with that, its going to be because we see a huge improvement in guard play.

codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
9/27/2017  11:24 AM
fishmike wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

I think the biggest step forward will be guard play. We may not have Westbrook or Curry but at least we have some ponies that can run now. Last year Rose and Jennings didnt work out. Really bad ideas/moves from Phil. Just not good fits. Baker was a cute story and maybe he sticks, but he shot about 38% and thats just awful. Jeff just didnt have a lot of options.

This year he has Sessions, Jack, Frank and Baker. Lee was solid last year and Timmy and Dotson add some nice depth there also.

Again... not world beaters but man our guard play was just so bad last year. I am looking forward to see what Jeff can do with this group and I think its a better, younger and more diverse group for him to work with.

Melo didnt have a great year but if we win more games and play better I doubt it has anything to do with that, its going to be because we see a huge improvement in guard play.

The point about guard play is spot on. I'm bullish on Hardaway Jr., much more so than most on the board, both defensively and offensively. His offensive efficiency is obvious but his defensive stats in isolation, spot-up, and pick and roll are very good; he gets shortchanged with team-based stats because of confounders.

I'm also quite bullish on Frank because of his mobility on defense in combination with his length, shooting tools, as well as his improvement trajectory so far. We'll see how his touted real-time decision making translates in the NBA.

It's not inconceivable to me that our backcourt is better overall than our front court. I'm hopeful KP can make improvements on both offense and defense. Kanter is a nice addition offensively but a liability in transition.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

9/27/2017  1:00 PM
fishmike wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

It may also be related to better ball movement and spacing on offense. Melo was a sharpshooter, but he held the ball for half a possession when it came to him,

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/27/2017  1:07 PM
Moonangie wrote:
fishmike wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

It may also be related to better ball movement and spacing on offense. Melo was a sharpshooter, but he held the ball for half a possession when it came to him,

I expect a much higher tempo with this team. Just looking at practice they look like they're looking to push the pace.

fishmike
USA
9/27/2017  1:50 PM
codeunknown wrote:
fishmike wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

The point about guard play is spot on. I'm bullish on Hardaway Jr., much more so than most on the board, both defensively and offensively. His offensive efficiency is obvious but his defensive stats in isolation, spot-up, and pick and roll are very good; he gets shortchanged with team-based stats because of confounders.

I'm also quite bullish on Frank because of his mobility on defense in combination with his length, shooting tools, as well as his improvement trajectory so far. We'll see how his touted real-time decision making translates in the NBA.

It's not inconceivable to me that our backcourt is better overall than our front court. I'm hopeful KP can make improvements on both offense and defense. Kanter is a nice addition offensively but a liability in transition.

Im bullish too man. I think he's a really nice piece. I mean we nabbed a quality starter from a playoff team with cap space who's 25. I was really down on THjr around the time of the trade (and thrilled about the trade) but end of day THjr matured and improved and Grant remains a backup quality player.

There is the always fair argument that THjr popped in a contract year and buyer beware, but this is no Jerome James. This kid has a HOF father in the league. He's motivated to leave his own mark and pave his own way. I also think he sees great opportunity. Everyone talks about KP but this can be just as much THjr's team. He will certainly be in a position to succeed under Jeff, and I have high expectations. I think he quickly replaces most of Melo's production as well.

Last year we got points from Rose. We got some good shooting from Lee and thats really it. There is no reason not to expect a huge uptick in the Knicks guard play.

fishmike
USA
9/27/2017  2:23 PM
Moonangie wrote:
fishmike wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

be careful.. some here will read that "held the ball comment" and understand what you REALLY meant was
this is all Melo's fault
Melo ruined everything
Melo hates puppies
You hate Melo

But yea man... there should certainly be better movement between the improved guard play and less ISO

Welpee
Member: #6239

9/27/2017  3:04 PM
nixluva wrote:
Moonangie wrote:
fishmike wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

I expect a much higher tempo with this team. Just looking at practice they look like they're looking to push the pace.

Geez I hope none of the Frank haters paid attention to KP blocking his shot driving to the hoop.
Ewing effect this season?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy