martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/26/2017  4:19 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:How does a man who is not fat lose 40 pounds in 4 months? I mean he was splaying full court pro hoops it wasnt like he was doing nada?

AND will he be the same player? Will his rebounding suffer--when he was at Kentucky--he was 260 although never played--and coming into the NBA 258.

That is a LOT of weight to lose--Im not sure so necessarily? Im sure some will come back and of course training is good--but this will be interesting.

I was wondering that too. Looking at him last year, I never would have thought he needed to lose 40 pounds. How much of that was muscle? I definitely don't think he had 40 extra pounds of fat on him. So he must have lost a lot of muscle.

I would say the exact amount he lost was likely exaggerated. Typically guys do that to emphasis the weight loss. He is listed at 245. No way he was 280 range. Most likely, he was probably 260 and is now down to 240. 20 loss is my guess.

Maybe but he said he went from 273 to 235.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/26/2017  4:28 PM
Knixkik wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:How does a man who is not fat lose 40 pounds in 4 months? I mean he was splaying full court pro hoops it wasnt like he was doing nada?

AND will he be the same player? Will his rebounding suffer--when he was at Kentucky--he was 260 although never played--and coming into the NBA 258.

That is a LOT of weight to lose--Im not sure so necessarily? Im sure some will come back and of course training is good--but this will be interesting.

I was wondering that too. Looking at him last year, I never would have thought he needed to lose 40 pounds. How much of that was muscle? I definitely don't think he had 40 extra pounds of fat on him. So he must have lost a lot of muscle.

I would say the exact amount he lost was likely exaggerated. Typically guys do that to emphasis the weight loss. He is listed at 245. No way he was 280 range. Most likely, he was probably 260 and is now down to 240. 20 loss is my guess.

I think he walked around at 280. I remember him being listed at 270 at coming into the draft, so 273 ain't out of the queation. Weight probably goes up or down depending on lifestyle on the road. Richard Jefferson addressed this issue on a recent podcast. Many guys struggle with weight gain during the season, especially after injuries There's no way for us to gauge this off of one picture, not knowing body fat % etc. How much of the weight loss was water vs fat? He said he had man boobs at the start
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

9/26/2017  4:48 PM
I'm sure he gained some weight after his season ended leading up to summer. Your in-season diet is much more calorie rich than you would normally have...if you continue it in the off season you will put on pounds.

I used to gain weight after my second sport ended for the football season, where I needed to be a bit heavier.

I'd like to find out what he weighed for the first game last season...would give you a better idea of what the 40lbs he lost might actually mean.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Paris907
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6099
USA
9/26/2017  4:50 PM
I just read that Kantor ranks 63/66 worse defensive centers. That’s abysmal and speaks of lack of desire as well.
We could carry both Wily and Kantor but not with Noah absorbing what he does in space. Noah was a phenomenal defensive center yet post 2 surgeries will be hard pressed to become as good as Robin Lopez. Thus, depending on what we can get for Kanter and depending what Noah has left this will shortly play out. Perhaps a combination of Lee OQuinn and Kantor will yield a good pick and a 3 or solid 4 backup
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

9/26/2017  5:19 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

Kanter is also a 7fter, 40 lbs can be distributed more easily vs a much shorter man. Its not like Kanter was walking around with a beer belly. Unless Kanter had put all his energy into weight loss and didn't accompany it with strenght training, there might be some cause for concern. If those videos of Kanter working out are recent, I dont believe we have to be concerned about that.

But isnt that more of a concern? A 7 footer that weighs 235?

And BTW he did this back in 2012 as well.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

9/26/2017  10:39 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:I'd like to find out what he weighed for the first game last season...would give you a better idea of what the 40lbs he lost might actually mean.

Athletes on PEDS will "cycle off" during the offseason. IIRC, the NBA has 6 drug tests during the year. Four random during the season (not random, guys like LBJ get his all stacked EARLY IN THE YEAR, which is why you see his play suck early on then he turns it up in the 2nd half) There are two major test cycles in the offseason.

The way you can help your natural HGH production ( when you aren't buying something to boost you) is actually fasting. So this also further accelerates the weight loss in these players. Since you aren't trying to maintain a playing weight in the offseason, you can use a fasting or intermittent fasting strategy here and not impact your energy needs for practice and game time.

Kanter is a low IQ player. Dropping too much weight hurts him both in his rebounding and his low post production. He doesn't need to lose weight as much as he needs to play some high IQ fundamental basketball. And sadly, in sports, you can't fix stupid.

The "Olympic" players have a different issue. The IOC testing standards are much more stringent. Also they can't be shaded as much as the NBA can do it. These guys have to cycle on and off differently.

Some of you guys travel for work. Like all the time. Or some of you have done a lot in spurts. Traveling is mentally and physically exhausting. Then playing at an elite level. That wears you down. Back to backs. Nagging injuries. Trying to recover. These guys need to juice to recover. It's not a knock of their physical gifts, it's just a reality of the situation. Guys who aren't making millions like CrossFit athletes or fitness models or even actors, are juicing. What does that tell you? There are aging personal trainers making 45K a year and no other skill set who are juicing. What does that tell you?

Is Kanter here to stay?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy