[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Is Kanter here to stay?
Author Thread
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

9/26/2017  11:24 AM
NYKBocker wrote:I think he stays. I think KOQ is going to be traded. I see a 3 man rotation of KP, Willy and Kanter at the 4/5 spot.

Could very well be the case.

Very interested to watch him on the defensive end, given his reputation as a poor defender. Can't say I've ever zoned in on him for extended periods of time.

Will his weight loss make any kind of difference?

I'll have to say that he seemed genuinely happy to be coming here in the press conference posted on the UK home page. Many reasons for a Turkish Muslim to want to play in NYC, and he talked about the fact that he has always played in small town locations, and is looking forward to being in a more cosmopolitan location.

Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt unless he starts playing D like a certain Italian 7ft player we once had.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
AUTOADVERT
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

9/26/2017  11:36 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:I think he stays. I think KOQ is going to be traded. I see a 3 man rotation of KP, Willy and Kanter at the 4/5 spot.

Very interested to watch him on the defensive end, given his reputation as a poor defender. Can't say I've ever zoned in on him for extended periods of time.

I'll have to say that he seemed genuinely happy to be coming here in the press conference posted on the UK home page. Many reasons for a Turkish Muslim to want to play in NYC, and he talked about the fact that he has always played in small town locations, and is looking forward to being in a more cosmopolitan location.

Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt unless he starts playing D like a certain Italian 7ft player we once had.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with Bocker... Willy and KP look good together. Kanter has been a standout bench player, and very well could be our second unit anchor. I think KOQ's contract is appealing at the deadline for a rental player and think we could get a crappy 1st or a second for him at the deadline

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
9/26/2017  12:40 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I agree with Bocker... Willy and KP look good together. Kanter has been a standout bench player, and very well could be our second unit anchor. I think KOQ's contract is appealing at the deadline for a rental player and think we could get a crappy 1st or a second for him at the deadline

did you just suggest that he can anchor our defense??? lol

ES
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/26/2017  12:49 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

I double and triple read that. He didn't even use the word "defense"
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
9/26/2017  12:53 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

knicks1248 reads imaginary words, so you have to be patient.

Kanter may get better, he may be what he is. What he is? Probably the best big off the bench in the league. If you have a guy who can come in and produce for the 2nd unit like he does its a huge team asset. Im looking forward to getting a long look at him with the current crew.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/26/2017  12:59 PM
We all know the issue with Kanter is his defense. It seems clear that if he makes significant improvement on the defensive side of the floor he could be a huge addition to the core of the team. I actually think limiting his minutes and sharing time with Willy would help both players. If one guy is struggling in a game you can adjust minutes accordingly.
knicks1248
9/26/2017  1:00 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

Well when you say anchoring something, that usually means holding it down, and it usually means on the defensive side. Do you every hear someone say "He's going to anchor the offense" cmon man, stop reaching

Anyway, I would start Kanter with KP considering kP can stretch the floor..

ES
knicks1248
9/26/2017  1:14 PM
nixluva wrote:We all know the issue with Kanter is his defense. It seems clear that if he makes significant improvement on the defensive side of the floor he could be a huge addition to the core of the team. I actually think limiting his minutes and sharing time with Willy would help both players. If one guy is struggling in a game you can adjust minutes accordingly.

Some guys IQ are just not high enough to recognize certain things, If kanter had 5 solid defenders around him, that would raise his IQ, raise his effort, and also hide his liabilities. Similar to how guys like Rose(with the bulls and thibs) and Allan Houston (ewing oak, JVG) had it.

Rambis scheme has always been to focus on the paint, not so much the perimeter, and to me, his philosophy requires High IQ defenders that know when to come out, know when to switch, knowing your opponents weakness, keeping your eye on the ball and your man,

look at kanters P&R defense, it's god awful, because of his IQ

ES
Bonn1997
USA
9/26/2017  1:16 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

Well when you say anchoring something, that usually means holding it down, and it usually means on the defensive side. Do you every hear someone say "He's going to anchor the offense" cmon man, stop reaching

It's more common for defense but I don't think there's anything wrong with using it to describe offense. And common sense would indicate he meant offense.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/26/2017  1:22 PM
nixluva wrote:We all know the issue with Kanter is his defense. It seems clear that if he makes significant improvement on the defensive side of the floor he could be a huge addition to the core of the team. I actually think limiting his minutes and sharing time with Willy would help both players. If one guy is struggling in a game you can adjust minutes accordingly.

Not just defense. His passing needs work as well. That might be an issue in certain line-ups as well. Hopefully some of that Noah mentorship comes into play. I remember Noah commenting on how important Brad Miller was in his development. It's time for Noah to pay it forward.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
knicks1248
9/26/2017  1:45 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

It's more common for defense but I don't think there's anything wrong with using it to describe offense. And common sense would indicate he meant offense.

Either way, that is not a good role for him at all, you cant have him playing with Willy or NOAH, that's like playing Amare and MELO, a very clumsy look, and they don't compliment each other skill set, and it takes away from the pace you want to play at, which is fast and wide.

Think kanter and beasly should be on the floor together?

ES
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
9/26/2017  2:15 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:

I expect this to be the rotation as well. I think Kanter fits pretty well next to KP. He can stretch the floor and rebound. His true impact will be determined based on his improvement in lateral quickness with the weight loss, because he will need to defense stretch 4s. Porzingis needs to be close to the rim. He is a rim protector. Kanter and Willy will need to develop into capable PF defenders in order to play effectively next to KP.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
9/26/2017  2:45 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

Either way, that is not a good role for him at all, you cant have him playing with Willy or NOAH, that's like playing Amare and MELO, a very clumsy look, and they don't compliment each other skill set, and it takes away from the pace you want to play at, which is fast and wide.

Kanter and Willy are worth a look. Willy has a good jumper so he can spread the floor. Noah and Kanter are a bad fit
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knixkik
USA
9/26/2017  3:19 PM
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

Kanter and Willy are worth a look. Willy has a good jumper so he can spread the floor. Noah and Kanter are a bad fit

Kanter can shoot the ball as well. He's probably a better shooter than Willy at this point.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
9/26/2017  3:47 PM
How does a man who is not fat lose 40 pounds in 4 months? I mean he was splaying full court pro hoops it wasnt like he was doing nada?

AND will he be the same player? Will his rebounding suffer--when he was at Kentucky--he was 260 although never played--and coming into the NBA 258.

That is a LOT of weight to lose--Im not sure so necessarily? Im sure some will come back and of course training is good--but this will be interesting.

RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
9/26/2017  3:55 PM
BRIGGS wrote:How does a man who is not fat lose 40 pounds in 4 months? I mean he was splaying full court pro hoops it wasnt like he was doing nada?

AND will he be the same player? Will his rebounding suffer--when he was at Kentucky--he was 260 although never played--and coming into the NBA 258.

That is a LOT of weight to lose--Im not sure so necessarily? Im sure some will come back and of course training is good--but this will be interesting.

I was wondering that too. Looking at him last year, I never would have thought he needed to lose 40 pounds. How much of that was muscle? I definitely don't think he had 40 extra pounds of fat on him. So he must have lost a lot of muscle.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/26/2017  3:59 PM
BRIGGS wrote:How does a man who is not fat lose 40 pounds in 4 months? I mean he was splaying full court pro hoops it wasnt like he was doing nada?

Kanter is also a 7fter, 40 lbs can be distributed more easily vs a much shorter man. Its not like Kanter was walking around with a beer belly. Unless Kanter had put all his energy into weight loss and didn't accompany it with strenght training, there might be some cause for concern. If those videos of Kanter working out are recent, I dont believe we have to be concerned about that.

Knixkik
USA
9/26/2017  4:01 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:

I was wondering that too. Looking at him last year, I never would have thought he needed to lose 40 pounds. How much of that was muscle? I definitely don't think he had 40 extra pounds of fat on him. So he must have lost a lot of muscle.

I would say the exact amount he lost was likely exaggerated. Typically guys do that to emphasis the weight loss. He is listed at 245. No way he was 280 range. Most likely, he was probably 260 and is now down to 240. 20 loss is my guess.

awe1028
Member: #2780

9/26/2017  4:12 PM
I really don't understand why people are so upset with the state of the Knicks. Clearly the Knicks roster is unbalanced at this time. However, the team is undergoing a rebuild which is still in its early stages and the roster is in transition. Therefore it should not be surprising the Knicks will not be very good in 2018. However, even if Melo were here, the team was not going to be good anyway so what is the problem?

Give Perry some time to see the process through after all he has just recently arrived. The Melo trade he just completed for example was in fact an excellent one as it sets up the Knicks to be potentially very good in 2019.

Perry upgraded the center position by acquiring Kanter who is a significant upgrade over WHG at least to this point in their respective careers.

Additionally, after the trade, the Knicks are worse thereby increasing significantly the chance of finding Melo's replacement in the upcoming draft (Porter, Doncic)

Also the imbalance at center which so many are complaining about can be easily remedied since three of the four are fairly easily tradeable if need be, Kanter WHG KOQ.

In 2019 this could REALISTICALLY be New York's starting line up:

Kanter/WHG
KP
Porter/Doncic
THJR
Frank

Am I the only only excited by this?

Bonn1997
USA
9/26/2017  4:16 PM
Knixkik wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

I would say the exact amount he lost was likely exaggerated. Typically guys do that to emphasis the weight loss. He is listed at 245. No way he was 280 range. Most likely, he was probably 260 and is now down to 240. 20 loss is my guess.

Maybe but he said he went from 273 to 235.
Is Kanter here to stay?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy