[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Is Kanter here to stay?
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/24/2017  4:18 PM
NardDogNation wrote:What about Enes Kanter for Greg Monroe and his expiring contract? It still forces us to have a glut of bigs but at least it clears long-term money for us.

I wouldn't mind giving Kanter a look. Maybe his offseason regimen will pay dividends.

AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
9/24/2017  4:20 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
reub wrote:
Gudris wrote:if we keep Kanter we need to get rid of Naoh, but its hard get rid of Noah without losing draft picks

Unless we stretch him. What would that cost us?

$8 million per season for the next 7 years. I think we'd better served just eating that contract.

Yeah there's no need to stretch Noah. Just be patient at this point.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/24/2017  4:23 PM
NardDogNation wrote:What about Enes Kanter for Greg Monroe and his expiring contract? It still forces us to have a glut of bigs but at least it clears long-term money for us. Come the deadline, we might be able to offload him for a wing that better suits our needs.

I'd be down for that. Would Milwaukee? Kanter would be a better fit on their roster.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

9/24/2017  4:31 PM
nixluva wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
reub wrote:
Gudris wrote:if we keep Kanter we need to get rid of Naoh, but its hard get rid of Noah without losing draft picks

$8 million per season for the next 7 years. I think we'd better served just eating that contract.

By "eating the contract", I mean that we should keep him and just absorb the hit for however long it lasts. Stretching him offers no incentive for us since we don't need the cap space at the moment and could use whatever veteran leadership Noah offers.

NardDogNation

9/24/2017  4:33 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:What about Enes Kanter for Greg Monroe and his expiring contract? It still forces us to have a glut of bigs but at least it clears long-term money for us.

I wouldn't mind giving Kanter a look. Maybe his offseason regimen will pay dividends.

Willy should be the starter IMO and I prefer O'Quinn's play and pricetag off the bench. Kanter might have more of an impact than both at this point but this season should not be about players making an impact; it should be about developing the young players we already have.

NardDogNation

9/24/2017  4:35 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:What about Enes Kanter for Greg Monroe and his expiring contract? It still forces us to have a glut of bigs but at least it clears long-term money for us. Come the deadline, we might be able to offload him for a wing that better suits our needs.

I'd be down for that. Would Milwaukee? Kanter would be a better fit on their roster.

I can't imagine why the Bucks would not be interested in this exchange. Giannis is the perfect compliment to him and he is a vast upgrade over Monroe. The only issue might be the financial commitment but that commitment would only be for an additional season before they'd be able to reshuffle the deck to accommodate their concerns.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/24/2017  5:21 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

Yeah I don't see the Knicks doing anything with Kanter until they see what he does. Kanter has a boatload of talent and he showed dedication by reshaping his body. I'm extremely curious to see what he can do.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
9/24/2017  5:40 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/24/2017  5:42 PM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Yeah I don't see the Knicks doing anything with Kanter until they see what he does. Kanter has a boatload of talent and he showed dedication by reshaping his body. I'm extremely curious to see what he can do.

Boat of talent??? there are more stretch bigs in this league than every before, everyone is running(JH keeps preaching playing fast) and shooting 3s, and against teams like that, KANTER was flat out brutal in every way possible.

He doesn't address the awful perimeter defense, he takes minutes and touches(he never, ever passes the ball once he is in the paint, like AMARE) away from our 2 of our best young payers, his interior defense is like AMARE.

There is zero upside in even trading for this guy or keeping now that we got him.

It would be diffirent if our roster was more balance,

ES
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

9/24/2017  5:48 PM
fin89 wrote:Nothing against Kanter, but we have a surplus of bigs, and he's quite expensive in addition to our Noah void. Obviously, Portland wanted no part in aiding a conference rival get the player they were trying to recruit, but Portland was the team that was responsible for Kanter's max contract. Maybe after the sting of not getting Melo wears off, they will be open to Kanter and Perry gets his guy in Harkless. I guess i'm trying to make sense of this trade still.

Kanter has close to no future trade value.

Most teams will be cap locked in the coming offseason. Two straight offseasons of plus cap space because of the massive jump in previous revenue. No smoothing option, teams spending wildly. Now teams will be hitting the tax zone just to keep their core players together. Gonna be ugly. With little to no money out there, Kanter will 99.9999999999 be opting into his option year next year.

At the deadline, only teams looking are teams trying to rebuild ( where Kanter makes zero sense for them unless he's packaged with picks and/or young players to absorb his contract, which the Knicks are not trying to do) or contenders. Contenders by their nature are always hard up near the cap and the only way to salary match and not gut their core is to sacrifice a mass of depth. To take in a player who offers negative defense and needs to be benched because his defensive limitations are so horrible to have any chance to win late in a game?

Noah has no trade value. Same basic problem. Too little upside for the contract hit that robs depth.

OKC tried to trade Kanter for a long while now. He was available all last year, no one wanted him. Why would they want him now? Knicks only have him because they needed to dump Melo.

No rational team would trade picks and/or young players for Kanter. What they will trade is a BAD BAD CONTRACT for him, where his value is more than someone horrible like a Luol Deng.

No rational team would trade Greg Monroe for Kanter. Same problems, some offense, some low post skill, no defense, big contract, but Kanters is longer. That's like having the Greg Monroe problem for one more year.

Kanter is worth something, on a shorter contract with a much lower AAV. He's useful then to some team. Under his current contract, no, he's just too problematic.

If the Knicks were a contender , would you want them to trade a mass of depth for Kanter? Then why would another team?

If the Knicks had one last year of Greg Monroe, would you want them to trade for Kanter and extend the pain of a bad contract for another year? Then why would another team?

If the Knicks didn't have Noah's horrible contract, would you want the Knicks to trade for it? Then why would another team?

If a player is probably the worst pivot defender in the entire league, what are the odds he could, in one season, get to average? Its probably not likely.

This is where nixluva says, no no, you can't predict what the future will hold.

OK, if you smoke a pack of cigarette a day long enough, you'll probably end up with serious health problem from smoking. Probably lung cancer if doing it long enough. Are there exceptions? Yes. But they change the odds and the rules? No.

Thinking Kanter can become a league average defender in one offseason, because he's dropping mass weight like most players do WHO ARE JUICE/PEDS CYCLING for mandatory testing, is like hoping lighting up those packs a day won't matter in the end.

Is it possible? In theory, Yes, it's possible. But in theory, Taylor Swift will show up and blow you right now under your kitchen table. It's possible a flying saucer crashes into your house and is full of gold coins so you can retire a billionaire. It's possible EnySpree or Knicks1248 would look up something on their own on Google instead of demanding people here fill in the gaps for them on what they could look up in 8 seconds and try to become actually informed. But is any of that likely?

The same reason you guys want the Knicks to dump a player in a trade is THE EXACT SAME DAMN REASON THE OTHER TEAM DOES NOT WANT SAID PLAYER.

Kanter is here for a simple reason. Perry knows the Knicks will not make the playoffs. He also knows the West is top heavy and bad Western teams will be tanking earlier and faster and the rigged lottery system won't favor the Knicks. So he's putting what he hopes is a "fun and shoot" team on the floor. A regular season team that fans can sort of enjoy watching play heavy offense. That's it. Hornacek and Mills will go along because they don't want to get fired.

Unless the Knicks take in another BAD contract for him, or they use draft assets to dump him, Kanter is here this year to stay and will likely opt in next year because the market would collapse on him otherwise. Nixluva will jump in here and give his classic "You can't say that for certain, you don't know, you can't predict the future!"

No, I can't predict the future. I can "forecast" the actual NBA marketplace.

KP4Life
Member: #6117
USA
9/24/2017  6:04 PM
TBH its a win win for us with Kanter. He improves on D then he becomes more tradable (or we even keep him if we want), his D never gets better, he helps the Tank.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

9/24/2017  6:20 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Knixkik wrote:Who knows but I definitely see him being our starting center. This guy can really play. He will compliment KP very nicely offensively. Defensively is another story but we will have to see. This guy can flat out score though. Probably replaces most of melo's offense to be honest. He's likely our second option behind KP, especially since he looks much more athletic and in better shape.

Kanter isnt the problem the screwed up roster is. The best thing to do is bench Noah.

Kanter
KP
Lance Thomas
Hardaway
Baker

Willy
Beasley
Lee
Ntilikina
Jack or Sessions

I agree. Noah isn't even a thought in my mind. He's a 3r string center at this point, who will be useful as a veteran and locker room presence, but there is no way he will see regular rotation minutes as things stand.

Things will work themselves out during the season. If Noah is in shape, he can do some good things on the court, and he might have some value come the trade deadline.

If the Knicks' brass, Hornacek, and the players can accept that this is a coming of age season, this can be one of the most entertaining seasons of recent years.

We have a large mix of interesting players, a lot of youth, and, to be honest, a good amount of talent on this team. Got a lot of guys to root for, and I'll be happy to watch players rise and fall to the occasion.

Should be a lot of fun.

This is how I feel

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
9/24/2017  8:54 PM
Look at Monroe per 36 vs Kantor. If Noah is a sink cost (I agree with the categorization)then his mentoring enes KP and Wily to be defensive enforcers matters. Those 3 are a offensively very strong and can board. They compliment one another and Wily/Enes will board and cause fits inside the paint. OQuinn is the man out. His #s per 36 mag be ok but not as impactful as the other 3.
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

9/24/2017  9:23 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
Knixkik wrote:Who knows but I definitely see him being our starting center. This guy can really play. He will compliment KP very nicely offensively. Defensively is another story but we will have to see. This guy can flat out score though. Probably replaces most of melo's offense to be honest. He's likely our second option behind KP, especially since he looks much more athletic and in better shape.

Kanter isnt the problem the screwed up roster is. The best thing to do is bench Noah.

Kanter
KP
Lance Thomas
Hardaway
Baker

Willy
Beasley
Lee
Ntilikina
Jack or Sessions

You guys are still underestimating what a in shape and healthy J.Noah can bring to this team on and off the court. The key is obviously his health and if he is healthy we will see a much better J.Noah then what we got last year and his leadership in his play and vocally will rub off on these young guys as well as his all energy all the time. I know we're all unhappy with the contract Phil gave Noah but i promise you that you guys are overlooking what he can bring to this team because of that contract. I can even see him starting for us but i only see him playing around 25 minutes a night which is smart to not over play him.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/25/2017  8:16 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/25/2017  8:17 AM
nixluva wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
reub wrote:

Yeah and definitely not now! If we were going to stretch him, it would have been before last off-season so we could use the extra cap space. Or if we do do it, it should be after this season so that less money is stretched.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
9/25/2017  8:51 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/25/2017  8:51 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:

Why are we trying to trade Kanter for a salary dump already? He's 25 and still has upside and is already a pretty good player.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

9/25/2017  9:56 AM
look I understand that on the surface this deal doesn't make a ton of sense - but - we are not a finished product and we got young talent back
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
NardDogNation

9/25/2017  10:04 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/25/2017  10:05 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
reub wrote:

Yeah and definitely not now! If we were going to stretch him, it would have been before last off-season so we could use the extra cap space. Or if we do do it, it should be after this season so that less money is stretched.

I misspoke earlier. I intended to say we'd be better served keeping Noah and simply allowing it to run its course. It'd be stupid to stretch him because it'd only prolong the misery. At least he could provide some veteran leadership the next three seasons.

NardDogNation

9/25/2017  10:09 AM
Knixkik wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Why are we trying to trade Kanter for a salary dump already? He's 25 and still has upside and is already a pretty good player.

You could use a similar argument for Monroe: he is only 27 years old and won't necessitate us encumbering Hernangomez's development. We are a rebuilding team, which makes attaining cap space/flexibility and prospect development paramount.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
9/25/2017  10:49 AM
I think he stays. I think KOQ is going to be traded. I see a 3 man rotation of KP, Willy and Kanter at the 4/5 spot.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/25/2017  11:22 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
reub wrote:

I misspoke earlier. I intended to say we'd be better served keeping Noah and simply allowing it to run its course. It'd be stupid to stretch him because it'd only prolong the misery. At least he could provide some veteran leadership the next three seasons.

I understood what you meant. I was just trying to add to the discussion.
Is Kanter here to stay?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy