[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What The Knicks Can Get From McDermott
Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
9/23/2017  9:28 PM
We know about his issues on D. Quite frankly I don't think you could find a weaker defensive player. I'm not sure why that is exactly. There have been other players with similar issues with Lateral Quickness. What in particular is his issue? If I had to guess it's probably his ISO D against the legit SF's. It's one of the toughest positions to defend. We can't change his Athletic ability, lateral Quickness or make him longer, but maybe they can come up with something in the schemes to help him.

Now on the other side of the floor it gets more interesting. He's got the Catch and Shoot game and has been adding more ability to cut and put it on the floor on close out defenders. I think he's actually a very good fit for what the Knicks want to do Offensively.

AUTOADVERT
reub
Member: #6227

9/23/2017  9:42 PM
His advanced stats are just terrible.
Kanter's are incredible.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/23/2017  9:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/23/2017  9:44 PM
Lance, Kuz and Beasley.... McDermott is a guy I would have like to have drafted coming out of college. So far his whole career has been a fight. He's going to have to fight again this training camp
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nixluva
USA
9/23/2017  9:50 PM
EnySpree wrote:Lance, Kuz and Beasley.... McDermott is a guy I would have like to have drafted coming out of college. So far his whole career has been a fight. He's going to have to fight again this training camp

The main advantage for McDermott is his age. All the other guys are a little older and the Knicks might be able to work with him as more of a longer term solution. I also think that his quick release and ability to pump fake and drive is at a high level. The other guys are slower in terms of getting off and that does make a difference IMO. It's up to him of course. He has to earn it and it all comes down to his D. I think the rest of his game will be fine but that D has got to come WAY UP.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

9/23/2017  10:01 PM
Not a fan of this dude- he reminds of what'shisname...
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
9/23/2017  10:09 PM
nixluva wrote:We know about his issues on D. Quite frankly I don't think you could find a weaker defensive player. I'm not sure why that is exactly. There have been other players with similar issues with Lateral Quickness. What in particular is his issue? If I had to guess it's probably his ISO D against the legit SF's. It's one of the toughest positions to defend. We can't change his Athletic ability, lateral Quickness or make him longer, but maybe they can come up with something in the schemes to help him.

Now on the other side of the floor it gets more interesting. He's got the Catch and Shoot game and has been adding more ability to cut and put it on the floor on close out defenders. I think he's actually a very good fit for what the Knicks want to do Offensively.

"Dermo" is sht in Russian... so he need to prove to me he is not first...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
9/23/2017  10:16 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:Not a fan of this dude- he reminds of what'shisname...

Korver? Wally z?

~You can't run from who you are.~
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/23/2017  10:20 PM
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Lance, Kuz and Beasley.... McDermott is a guy I would have like to have drafted coming out of college. So far his whole career has been a fight. He's going to have to fight again this training camp

The main advantage for McDermott is his age. All the other guys are a little older and the Knicks might be able to work with him as more of a longer term solution. I also think that his quick release and ability to pump fake and drive is at a high level. The other guys are slower in terms of getting off and that does make a difference IMO. It's up to him of course. He has to earn it and it all comes down to his D. I think the rest of his game will be fine but that D has got to come WAY UP.

Yeah man... the timing is great. All these guys are coming in around the same age. Same struggle. We might be witnessing the birth of street knowledge... lol. Nah but were entering a new era. Exciting

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

9/23/2017  10:24 PM
Can we flip him for Mario Hezonja? The Magic need shooters/cap flexibility and I think Hezonja is a more dynamic talent that simply needs a change of scenery. I like the international vibe of our team and hope something like this happens to further it.
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

9/23/2017  10:32 PM
joec32033 wrote:

Korver? Wally z?

You know before he was traded to okc he really was making a name for himself as more then a 3 point shooter. Westbrook is such a ball hog pg that it was just spot up for him.

I think McDermott has real potential in horny’s phx style offense. The guy is a lights out shooter, also he’s only 25 definitely not a finished product. He also can play the 4 and 2 on spot duties. I think he’s the back up 3 horny loves himself some shooters just look at his rotations in phx he always went with shooters over defensive players

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

9/23/2017  10:55 PM
joec32033 wrote:

Korver? Wally z?

I was going to say Korver...forgot about Wally.

Korver has had his moments...If McDermott could become a player like KK in short spurts during a game, I could live with it. Still need to see an effort on D, though, from him AND Kanter.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

9/23/2017  11:22 PM

Tj Wear?

The Future is Bright!
meloshouldgo

9/24/2017  12:33 AM
joec32033 wrote:

Korver? Wally z?

Wally - that's the one. It looks like we are just accumulating a bunch of shooters after all this talk of defense look at some of these guys. UGH
But this one came through a trade where the primary objective was dumping the bag of rocks, so I guess it'sok

meloshouldgo

9/24/2017  12:34 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
joec32033 wrote:

Korver? Wally z?

Korver has had his moments...If McDermott could become a player like KK in short spurts during a game, I could live with it. Still need to see an effort on D, though, from him AND Kanter.

I'd take a younger Korver over both those cats

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/24/2017  12:40 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
joec32033 wrote:

Korver? Wally z?

You sure? Wally was a good, well-rounded scorer before injuries killed him.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
9/24/2017  12:44 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
joec32033 wrote:

Korver? Wally z?

You sure? Wally was a good, well-rounded scorer before injuries killed him.
If MCdermott is close to Wally or Korver as a player the Knics did great on ths deal.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
9/24/2017  1:08 AM
We need to make more trades. We need to trade Lee to create room to give guys like McDermott some minutes. If he can improve his defense to just average, he could be someone useful off the bench.
Trust the Process
Sangfroid
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2784

9/24/2017  1:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/24/2017  1:33 AM
TheGame wrote:We need to make more trades. We need to trade Lee to create room to give guys like McDermott some minutes. If he can improve his defense to just average, he could be someone useful off the bench.

Hopefully, we could amass some assets for Lee and Kyle O'Q. Do you think we could get a future 1st rounder for either of them?

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
nixluva
USA
9/24/2017  1:32 AM
This Knicks team will be a true test for all these young players. There's no CRUTCH to rely on. These kids are gonna have to step up. DM will have to raise his game and he'll get all the opportunity he needs to show what he can do.

I believe DM can get it done in a system with Ball and Player Movement. His issue is on D! Can he raise his level enough to earn a major role? Korver did improve a great deal on D. Of course he was still not good but he got better and that's what DM has to do.

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
9/24/2017  1:54 AM
Sangfroid wrote:
TheGame wrote:We need to make more trades. We need to trade Lee to create room to give guys like McDermott some minutes. If he can improve his defense to just average, he could be someone useful off the bench.

Hopefully, we could amass some assets for Lee and Kyle O'Q. Do you think we could get a future 1st rounder for either of them?

I honestly think KOQ is worth a late first round pick. Lee also could garner a 1st rounder for the right team. But even if we just second round picks is the 31-45 range, it would still be worth it to clear cap space and create playing time.

Trust the Process
What The Knicks Can Get From McDermott

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy