[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Melo traded to OKC (Kanter, Doug McDermott, CHI 2018 second-round draft pick)
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/23/2017  5:45 PM
reub wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
reub wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Kanter does look ridiculously ripped- put a lot of effort into losing body fat this offseason- just look at the third video:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/enes-kanter-thunder-news-weight-loss-offseason-workout-photo-twitter-russell-westbrook-paul-george/uxx4zcassdwq110obpqexcorv

When did Melo ever look like this?

When did Kanter ever play like Melo?

When did Melo ever have a WS48 of .200 (for three years no less)? When did Melo ever average 5 offensive rebounds a game per 36? When did he shoot with an efficiency rating of 60%?

You are comparing a future Hall of Famer with a lot of miles on him, to a bench player who hasnt been in the league nearly as long. Im glad this is all over too, but comparing these two players is weak. When Kanter's muscles gets him into an All-Star game, a scoring title, MVP finalist, Multiple Olympic Gold medals, then we'll talk.

AUTOADVERT
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

9/23/2017  5:45 PM
franco12 wrote:I think you guys are all sleeping on Kanter. If we didn't have Noah, I think we'd be in great shape in our front court.

I mean, you march KP & Willy out to start the game, then bring Kanter in.

Those are three legit bigs with skills that can score the ball.

I like our balance now.

Not so much sleeping but what position does he play? Did we need that? He also clogs the middle. Thought we wanted to open that up for KP?

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
HofstraBBall

9/23/2017  5:49 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:Do like him but again, a true revlbuild would be with draft picks or young talent with good contracts.

Melo's age, ability, contract, trade kicker and NTC made getting be ideal rebuild return virtually impossible.

They got him out of town as painlessly as possible given the obstacles.

Yep, like I said,,could have been worse. Gotta give it to OKC. Yet again came out of nowhere.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
9/23/2017  5:50 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
franco12 wrote:I think you guys are all sleeping on Kanter. If we didn't have Noah, I think we'd be in great shape in our front court.

I like our balance now.

Not so much sleeping but what position does he play? Did we need that? He also clogs the middle. Thought we wanted to open that up for KP?

The Knicks don't need another 5. They have a ton already including Noah but he is a talent and his deal is shorter than Anderson's deal. I think KOQ is moved and my guess would be Kanter starts. The Knicks had to take back salary to move Melo. Of the three teams on the list, I think what they got from OKC was the best possible outcome.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Swishfm3
Member: #392
9/23/2017  5:52 PM
reub wrote:
Swishfm3 wrote:What a terrible trade but he did have to go because..

A source did say he was jealous of J.Lin
A source did say he can't play in Mike D'antoni system
A source did say he hated the KP draft pick
A source did say he didn't want to run the Triangle
A source did say he committed adultery and knocked some stripper up (what did ever happen with that?)
A source did say he wanted out of New York
A Source did say he only wanted to play with Chris Paul or L. James

Good luck C. Anthony..these fickle fans didn't deserve you.

and good luck to K. Porzingis!! Your shield is now gone and the spotlight is on you now.

Yes but now KP has a guy in Kanter that's tough as nails on the boards and scores efficiently on the inside, which opens up his outside game.

Hope you're right.

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
9/23/2017  5:55 PM
I sure liked talking about trading Melo a lot more than actually getting this for Melo. Honestly, I don't know much about McDermott and wish I knew less about Kanter and his defensive frailties. I am open to folks educating me in this trade, but I haven't had a single move this season where I thought to myself, "well that sounds good". Maybe our G league signings.

I guess it's a new day...

This is the Randle.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

9/23/2017  5:56 PM

I like our balance now.

We seem to have more flexibility in terms of matching up against larger power lineups or a smaller/quicker teams.
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

9/23/2017  5:59 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:I sure liked talking about trading Melo a lot more than actually getting this for Melo. Honestly, I don't know much about McDermott and wish I knew less about Kanter and his defensive frailties. I am open to folks educating me in this trade, but I haven't had a single move this season where I thought to myself, "well that sounds good". Maybe our G league signings.

This wasn't a trade for the return, this was a divorce proceeding.

The other option was to keep Melo, a situation in which nothing positive has happened in 4 seasons.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/23/2017  6:02 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:

I like our balance now.

We seem to have more flexibility in terms of matching up against larger power lineups or a smaller/quicker teams.

Yes that's an excellent point. I think it's being overlooked a bit but there's a lot of versatility on this roster. Jeff has some tough decisions but he's got a nice mix of talent to work with.

reub
Member: #6227

9/23/2017  6:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/23/2017  6:09 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
reub wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
reub wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Kanter does look ridiculously ripped- put a lot of effort into losing body fat this offseason- just look at the third video:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/enes-kanter-thunder-news-weight-loss-offseason-workout-photo-twitter-russell-westbrook-paul-george/uxx4zcassdwq110obpqexcorv

When did Melo ever have a WS48 of .200 (for three years no less)? When did Melo ever average 5 offensive rebounds a game per 36? When did he shoot with an efficiency rating of 60%?

You are comparing a future Hall of Famer with a lot of miles on him, to a bench player who hasnt been in the league nearly as long. Im glad this is all over too, but comparing these two players is weak. When Kanter's muscles gets him into an All-Star game, a scoring title, MVP finalist, Multiple Olympic Gold medals, then we'll talk.

A guy who never helped his NBA teams win much of anything. Who was all about himself and his brand. Who needed to jab step, hold the ball, ignore the coaches plays and, most of all, chuck.

HofstraBBall

9/23/2017  6:09 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

I like our balance now.

The Knicks don't need another 5. They have a ton already including Noah but he is a talent and his deal is shorter than Anderson's deal. I think KOQ is moved and my guess would be Kanter starts. The Knicks had to take back salary to move Melo. Of the three teams on the list, I think what they got from OKC was the best possible outcome.

Agreed. Said before, this was not about how much the Knicks could get. Melo was done. They were lucky he expanded the list. This is what happens when you trash a player with NTC. But lets not ignore that the Knicks did not get better. Kanter is a deficit on the defensive side. So we did not get better nor stayed with the promised focus from Perry. And as you said, we are over loaded at the position. He has two years left with a player option. If he has a good year he will test the market and we got him for one year. If he has a **** year and his defense liability is further exposed, then we are stuck with a back up level player with a high salary.
2nd round pick is as good as picking up a D leaguer. Doug, bench player that can shoot the 3 and cant play defense. But again, Melo was done and it is best we can do.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/23/2017  6:12 PM
reub wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
reub wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
reub wrote:

A guy who never helped his NBA teams win much of anything. Who was all about himself and his brand. Who needed to jab step, hold the ball and, most of all, chuck.

If thats all he ever was, he wouldn't have made so many all star games, won an NCAA championship, wouldn't have played in the olympics, more than any other NBA player. Coach K had no problem with him, and he was Mr. Teamwork.

That isn't a description of Melo, but neither is yours, the truth is somewhere in the middle. No debating that comparing Anthony to this bench player is more emotional than anything.

masud
Member: #2442

9/23/2017  6:17 PM
Getting rid of Melo was paramount and nearly impossible without taking on long term money and we were able to do that. Couldn't be happier. Let's give our young guys the ball, try to a establish a culture and hopefully get another lottery pick next summer.
Knickoftime

9/23/2017  6:18 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:But lets not ignore that the Knicks did not get better.

People need to start considering that maybe that's the idea.

HofstraBBall

9/23/2017  6:20 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:I sure liked talking about trading Melo a lot more than actually getting this for Melo. Honestly, I don't know much about McDermott and wish I knew less about Kanter and his defensive frailties. I am open to folks educating me in this trade, but I haven't had a single move this season where I thought to myself, "well that sounds good". Maybe our G league signings.

The other option was to keep Melo, a situation in which nothing positive has happened in 4 seasons.

This wasn't a divorce proceeding this was a normal guy with a list of accomplishments and solid potential running away from the famous crazy psycho girlfriend who was a lifetime failure and pathological liar.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
9/23/2017  6:21 PM
Good now lets move forward. Kanter is good the rest serviceable. Just happy Melo is moved.
HofstraBBall

9/23/2017  6:23 PM
reub wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
reub wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
reub wrote:

A guy who never helped his NBA teams win much of anything. Who was all about himself and his brand. Who needed to jab step, hold the ball, ignore the coaches plays and, most of all, chuck.

Your right, Contratulations on getting Kanter. A backup who was left on the bench in crunch time due to his lack of defense and inability to pass.

JesseDark
Member: #467
9/23/2017  6:23 PM
So who starts at the 3, Beasley? McDermott and Cheese fight it out for the backup role.
Bring back dee-fense
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/23/2017  6:24 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

I like our balance now.

Agreed. Said before, this was not about how much the Knicks could get. Melo was done. They were lucky he expanded the list. This is what happens when you trash a player with NTC. But lets not ignore that the Knicks did not get better. Kanter is a deficit on the defensive side. So we did not get better nor stayed with the promised focus from Perry. And as you said, we are over loaded at the position. He has two years left with a player option. If he has a good year he will test the market and we got him for one year. If he has a **** year and his defense liability is further exposed, then we are stuck with a back up level player with a high salary.
2nd round pick is as good as picking up a D leaguer. Doug, bench player that can shoot the 3 and cant play defense. But again, Melo was done and it is best we can do.

Kanter has been about 105-107 DRating last few years. Kanter on offense has been 116-123 ORating. There's some potential to get a lot out of Kanter. This is really going to be on Jeff and his staff to get the best out of him and this team.

Knickoftime

9/23/2017  6:25 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

This wasn't a divorce proceeding this was a normal guy with a list of accomplishments and solid potential running away from the famous crazy psycho girlfriend who was a lifetime failure and pathological liar.

As good as Melo was or wasn't, I think you can strike the word "potential" from his description at this stage.

Melo traded to OKC (Kanter, Doug McDermott, CHI 2018 second-round draft pick)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy