[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Melo traded to OKC (Kanter, Doug McDermott, CHI 2018 second-round draft pick)
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
9/23/2017  3:24 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I've seen Melo dog enough plays in defense and make selfish plays to know that's not entirely true. There's plenty of blame to throw around on both sides.

Melo has been the same player for his entire tenure in NY. Not adjusting and building around him was a mistake by management. If Melo was also the best defensive player on the squads he ran with the Knicks still suck really bad especially the last three years.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Member: #883
9/23/2017  3:25 PM
shinmen wrote:It's not that Mc Dermott and Kanter are horrible players, it's just they are not a good fit at all. Both are defensive sieves. We are not going to be a good defensive team despite what all management has emphasized.

For me it's the crushing disappointment we couldn't land Terrance Ferguson- I really thought we would. Still, I'm glad melo is gone, I just feel like we got essentially nothing in return. Better than what Houston were offering, and we might be able to flip the two players for a second rounder or two further down the line. But still- there lack of defense worries me when our whole focus is meant to be on improving defense.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/23/2017  3:26 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I've seen Melo dog enough plays in defense and make selfish plays to know that's not entirely true. There's plenty of blame to throw around on both sides.

Melo has been the same player for his entire tenure in NY. Not adjusting and building around him was a mistake by management. If Melo was also the best defensive player on the squads he ran with the Knicks still suck really bad especially the last three years.

No he has not IMO.

DadMelo versus what the Knicks had last year. 54 win Melo versus post knee Melo.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
reub
Member: #6227

9/23/2017  3:27 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
reub wrote:I remember Horny saying that the team needed to add toughness in the offseason. Kanter definitely brings that. It should open up our outside game considerably. Just 24 years old, his advanced stats are incredible!

He doesn't pass, and his defense is horrible. He is very efficient at scoring and rebounding though. This is why OKC reduced him to a 20min man off the bench to maximize his skill set.

He's not a good fit with KP. We need to move him and try to open up cap space.

Why isn't he a good fit? He fits similarly to how Willy fits. Big inside game that opens up the perimeter for KP and everyone else. His Rodman-like rebounding is something that will definitely take the pressure off of KP who is light in that department.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

9/23/2017  3:29 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

i dont think you can or could build around melo being the main guy he just doesnt have a good overall game. I think even melo realizes That he fits better as the 2nd ir third guy who only has to concentrate on scoring
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

9/23/2017  3:31 PM
smackeddog wrote:
shinmen wrote:It's not that Mc Dermott and Kanter are horrible players, it's just they are not a good fit at all. Both are defensive sieves. We are not going to be a good defensive team despite what all management has emphasized.

For me it's the crushing disappointment we couldn't land Terrance Ferguson- I really thought we would. Still, I'm glad melo is gone, I just feel like we got essentially nothing in return. Better than what Houston were offering, and we might be able to flip the two players for a second rounder or two further down the line. But still- there lack of defense worries me when our whole focus is meant to be on improving defense.

Kanter was an ends to a means. He was not targeted to fit into a system/philosophy. I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks try to divest themselves of him at the earliest possible time.

CrushAlot
USA
9/23/2017  3:32 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

i dont think you can or could build around melo being the main guy he just doesnt have a good overall game. I think even melo realizes That he fits better as the 2nd ir third guy who only has to concentrate on scoring
He's older now but it could have been done. Grunwald was the only guy that did it. Then Mills treaded water for a year and Phil came with a different mindset.
StarksEwing1

9/23/2017  3:34 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

He's older now but it could have been done. Grunwald was the only guy that did it. Then Mills treaded water for a year and Phil came with a different mindset.
not sure about that. Yes he has had success in the regular season but not the playoffs. He just isnt that type of player
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/23/2017  3:45 PM
reub wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
reub wrote:I remember Horny saying that the team needed to add toughness in the offseason. Kanter definitely brings that. It should open up our outside game considerably. Just 24 years old, his advanced stats are incredible!

He doesn't pass, and his defense is horrible. He is very efficient at scoring and rebounding though. This is why OKC reduced him to a 20min man off the bench to maximize his skill set.

Why isn't he a good fit? He fits similarly to how Willy fits. Big inside game that opens up the perimeter for KP and everyone else. His Rodman-like rebounding is something that will definitely take the pressure off of KP who is light in that department.

He's a worse passer than Willy. Willy can find the open cutter and move to the right spots on the floor. Kanter can get his shot, but that's it. I think Willy be able to step out and face up, something Kanter can't really do from distance. Plus, I think Willy has the tools to be better defensively. He's just quicker and more agile. You, thought KP had foul problems last season, see what a season of playing with Kanter will do. Also, KP and Willy have been playing for years. There's no way to replicate that chemistry in training camp, or a season. Kanter's offensive numbers are nice, but do you think it's a coincidence he's thrived on the second unit? He's a sixth man type, not a starter IMHO
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
USA
9/23/2017  3:46 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

not sure about that. Yes he has had success in the regular season but not the playoffs. He just isnt that type of player
He hasn't had a team around him in ny ever. I think he will enjoy okc. They have a great front office and the atmosphere in their arena is amazing.
StarksEwing1

9/23/2017  3:49 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/23/2017  3:49 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

He hasn't had a team around him in ny ever. I think he will enjoy okc. They have a great front office and the atmosphere in their arena is amazing.
im more concerned about the knicks but yeah melo should be in a good situation. He will be the third guy which fits him better and will have less pressure
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/23/2017  3:50 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I think age has caught up to him. He's not good enough to just will teams to regular season wins anymore and he's been to stubborn to develop the other parts of his game that lead to willing. Yeah, management shares some blame. But Melo isn't blameless.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
markvmc
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1797

Just surprised they didn't throw Ray Felton in for another spell with NY.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

[IMG_block] http://naturalon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/bigstock-Cancer-Free-Zone-Green-Road-Si-7177930.jpg [/IMG_block]

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
StarksEwing1

9/23/2017  3:53 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I think age has caught up to him. He's not good enough to just will teams to regular season wins anymore and he's been to stubborn to develop the other parts of his game that lead to willing. Yeah, management shares some blame. But Melo isn't blameless.
i dont blame melo i just dont think his overall game has ever been good enough to be the main guy onde a championship contender. Thats not a knock on him its just the way it is. Even in him prime i think he needed to play with a better overall player. I think he has come to terms with that
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
9/23/2017  4:03 PM
reub wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Kanter doesn't even avg 1 ast, doesn't draw doubles

ES
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
9/23/2017  4:06 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
reub wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Westbrook has the ball 100% of the time in that offense. Kanter or anybody for that matter gets the ball and needs to shoot it so Westbrook can get the assist
CrushAlot
USA
9/23/2017  4:08 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
reub wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

His per 36 has him averaging 6.7 free throws a game, double Willy's per 36.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
9/23/2017  4:10 PM
Let's give Kanter a chance before branding him anything?-- he's 24. Let's let him play 30 minutes in a rotation w willy kp and Oquinn. We have bigger perimeter defenders and kanter is f tough inside. Let's let things play out a bit.
RIP Crushalot😞
reub
Member: #6227

9/23/2017  4:12 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
reub wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

His per 36 has him averaging 6.7 free throws a game, double Willy's per 36.

Kanter has averaged more than 5 offensive rebounds per 36 minutes for the past 3 years. Rodman averaged slightly less than 6 offensive rebounds per 36 for his career. We can use his toughness.

Melo traded to OKC (Kanter, Doug McDermott, CHI 2018 second-round draft pick)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy