[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Melo traded to OKC (Kanter, Doug McDermott, CHI 2018 second-round draft pick)
Author Thread
TheGame
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1154
USA
9/23/2017  1:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/23/2017  1:32 PM
Kanter can play and. I liked Dougie buckets coming out of college but they both are defensively challenged. I would have at least demanded Grant as 3&D small forward prospect. Kanter probably becomes our best center as I would rate higher than Willy. He just needs to bring more defense.
Trust the Process
AUTOADVERT
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

9/23/2017  1:33 PM
nixluva wrote:
reub wrote:Wait a minute. I just looked at Kanter's advanced stats and they are pretty amazing for a 24 year old.
WS48 of .222, .226, and .183 the last three years. That's excellent!
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/kanteen01.html

Yeah he's got skills even if he's not the defensive guy you'd like. Kanter is not a scrub so there's plenty to work with.
Once you get past the shock of it, this isn't the worst you could do.

In terms of efficiency we've upgraded as both Kanter and McDermott have higher TS% than Melo.

we were never gonna get a big haul for melo. Even teams that wanted him were looking at him as their 2nd or third guy who provides scoring. I like kanter and mcdermott still is young. The 2nd rounder should be pretty high maybe 32-35. In the end we needed to move on
Welpee
Member: #6239

9/23/2017  1:35 PM
Well, Phil wanted to just buy Melo out and get no assets and burn cap space. So I guess this is better. Would've been a solid deal if we got a 1st round pick even if it were way in the future. Not sure how I feel about this deal. Great deal for OKC.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/23/2017  1:36 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
reub wrote:Wait a minute. I just looked at Kanter's advanced stats and they are pretty amazing for a 24 year old.

Yeah he's got skills even if he's not the defensive guy you'd like. Kanter is not a scrub so there's plenty to work with.

In terms of efficiency we've upgraded as both Kanter and McDermott have higher TS% than Melo.

we were never gonna get a big haul for melo. Even teams that wanted him were looking at him as their 2nd or third guy who provides scoring. I like kanter and mcdermott still is young. The 2nd rounder should be pretty high maybe 32-35. In the end we needed to move on

It's not the immediately exciting deal but you're right this is actually about as much as you can expect for Melo. Young players with some ability and a pick. Tho I was hoping for a higher pick it's actually not bad when talking about a high 2nd.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
9/23/2017  1:36 PM
You really can't trade with OKC man. They got George and Melo for peanuts.

Perry should have insisted on Ferguson. I am praying that we have a 2nd deal already in place to move Kanter & acquire another piece.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
StarksEwing1

9/23/2017  1:37 PM
Welpee wrote:Well, Phil wanted to just buy Melo out and get no assets and burn cap space. So I guess this is better. Would've been a solid deal if we got a 1st round pick even if it were way in the future. Not sure how I feel about this deal. Great deal for OKC.
nobody was giving a first for melo. The 2nd we got should be close to getting a late first.
knicks1248
Member: #582
9/23/2017  1:38 PM
This is assine, another center to go along with willy, noah, kp, quin, and now kanter, and a fckng 2nd rounder..Mcdermott, a horrible defender (but they keep preaching defense)
ES
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
9/23/2017  1:38 PM
This is a good trade
We probably get that valuable 31 pick
We probably start Kanter with KP and Willy as 3 rd big
I think we can look at McDermott. Or flip him to a team looking for 3 point shooting. No long term commitment-- it's fine
RIP Crushalot😞
newyorknewyork
9/23/2017  1:39 PM
Kanter, Willy, Noah, KOQ.

2 of them would need to be moved for more athleticism.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
9/23/2017  1:40 PM
This is an expiring contract in a year at 17Mmm and Wily should be better in a year or two. We’ve just freed up $28mm in cap space and I’m fine with it. Brand and Hoodie are history!
StarksEwing1

9/23/2017  1:41 PM
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

It's not the immediately exciting deal but you're right this is actually about as much as you can expect for Melo. Young players with some ability and a pick. Tho I was hoping for a higher pick it's actually not bad when talking about a high 2nd.

agreed. Melo is what he is and teams know it. Its a good deal for OKC because they already have a elite player who can make anyone better. No offense to melo but he hasnt been able to do that but he should fit well with the thunder because all he has to do is provided scoring. As for us i know we are still rebuilding but at least we add a couple of decent pieces and another draft pick. Also we are giving KP the keys now to be the guy so its his turn to show it
nixluva
USA
9/23/2017  1:43 PM
Paris907 wrote:This is an expiring contract in a year at 17Mmm and Wily should be better in a year or two. We’ve just freed up $28mm in cap space and I’m fine with it. Brand and Hoodie are history!

Yeah the longer you look at it the deal is not bad. It's just not spectacular so it leaves you with a kind of numb feeling. Still the Knicks have more Assets and can move forward with the YOUTH MOVEMENT!!!

It's finally OVER!

newyorknewyork
9/23/2017  1:43 PM
Kanter and Doug account for 21mil. How does this work financially?
newyorknewyork
9/23/2017  1:44 PM
Paris907 wrote:This is an expiring contract in a year at 17Mmm and Wily should be better in a year or two. We’ve just freed up $28mm in cap space and I’m fine with it. Brand and Hoodie are history!

Kanter has a player option for next season at 18mil.

Welpee
Member: #6239

9/23/2017  1:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/23/2017  1:45 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Welpee wrote:Well, Phil wanted to just buy Melo out and get no assets and burn cap space. So I guess this is better. Would've been a solid deal if we got a 1st round pick even if it were way in the future. Not sure how I feel about this deal. Great deal for OKC.
nobody was giving a first for melo. The 2nd we got should be close to getting a late first.
You're probably right. Also considering Melo held all the cards I guess this is the best we could hope for. Definitely rather have Kanter than Anderson.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/23/2017  1:45 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:Kanter and Doug account for 21mil. How does this work financially?

what do you mean? Kanter has 15% trade kicker and the number is within 125% of Melo (without trade bonus)

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
newyorknewyork
martin wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Kanter and Doug account for 21mil. How does this work financially?

what do you mean? Kanter has 15% trade kicker and the number is within 125% of Melo (without trade bonus)

Ah ok, didn't know that.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

"Meh" would be how I would describe this deal.

At least we didnt take on long term garbage. McDermott can shoot the three, Hornacek will like that.

Underwhelmed. Wasnt expecting a deal for Melo in his prime, but doesn't seem like very much for someone who still has enough game to get teams very interested, in spite of his killer contract.

nixluva
USA
9/23/2017  1:46 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:

agreed. Melo is what he is and teams know it. Its a good deal for OKC because they already have a elite player who can make anyone better. No offense to melo but he hasnt been able to do that but he should fit well with the thunder because all he has to do is provided scoring. As for us i know we are still rebuilding but at least we add a couple of decent pieces and another draft pick. Also we are giving KP the keys now to be the guy so its his turn to show it

Yeah we have to be able to move forward and this does that. I mean we got a big that is young, talented and experienced. He's capable of being pretty efficient and still has upside. In the end the Knicks had to be able to start FRESH and CLEAN and this accomplishes that.
StarksEwing1

9/23/2017  1:48 PM
GustavBahler wrote:"Meh" would be how I would describe this deal.

At least we didnt take on long term garbage. McDermott can shoot the three, Hornacek will like that.

Underwhelmed. Wasnt expecting a deal for Melo in his prime, but doesn't seem like very much for someone who still has enough game to get teams very interested, in spite of his killer contract.

at his age and contract it would be near impossible. The nets were the only team dumb enough to give significant assets for two aging all stars. Melo is basically gonna be the third guy and he would have been the third guy in houston so its really the best we were gonna get
Melo traded to OKC (Kanter, Doug McDermott, CHI 2018 second-round draft pick)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy