[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Melo traded to OKC (Kanter, Doug McDermott, CHI 2018 second-round draft pick)
Author Thread
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

9/25/2017  10:17 PM
Gudris wrote:Melo looks really unhappy and confused, start to feel sorry for him

Saw some of the press conference, his words say otherwise. Seems happy and content with being with OKC...He should be, they have the potential to be one of the top 3 teams out west...

AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
9/25/2017  10:22 PM
Uptown wrote:
Gudris wrote:Melo looks really unhappy and confused, start to feel sorry for him

Saw some of the press conference, his words say otherwise. Seems happy and content with being with OKC...He should be, they have the potential to be one of the top 3 teams out west...

I got the same impression from what I saw. He is part of a well run organization now with a very good coach and possibly the best gm on the planet. He also is playing with talented players. It was a good move for him.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
9/25/2017  10:23 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

9/25/2017  10:42 PM
Welpee wrote:
reub wrote:

He's no longer the top dog, can't demand the ball, can't ignore the coach, can't undermine the system, can't berate his teammates, can't get management fired and now lives in Oklahoma. Poor guy!

I'm glad we can move on from Melo too, but how much longer are the Melo haters going to keep this up? If you don't like his game, fine. But this exaggeration about all the "bad" he did while he was here is ridiculous and totally unfair.

I don’t think anyone can hate melo the person dude is a great guy off the court. But fans have every right to hate on melo the player, nobody wants him injured, or should feel sorry for him. I’m sure it burns him on the inside that he became the biggest star looser in the nba, he failed to elevate his teammates games with his play. He’ll never be a leader like Jordan,Kobe,O’Neal, lebron, magic, bird, Ewing.

Melo is a second or third tier star, an’t no shame he’s just not as good.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
9/25/2017  10:51 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Kemet wrote:Us Knick Fans are still a mismanagement Knick team having a bogus losing puppet head coach in Hornacek, and another fake star franchise player with poor decision-making and no type of leadership ability standing at 7.3 on the perimeter begging for the ball.

Then why are you a fan? You stupid or something?

you seem to drink every cup of kool aid the mills pours

That might make sense except for the fact out of the two of us, 72 hours ago I wasn't the one who thought the Knicks might actually contend for the postseason this year. So what flavor Koolaid am I drinking if I don't think the team is very good and you thought they might be?

Fans will voice their opinion, but if you don't agree with them, you start calling people out, as if this franchise or mills has any credibility.

I've zero problem with people with criticism about the team. What I don't understand are fans who are bitter and resentful. And I'm not even telling you you should be disappointed or pessimistic, I'm saying if you are to that extreme degree move on, its sports, it's fun.

what exactly do you tell a fan who listens to the president talk about defense as a priority, and acquires, bealsly, kanter, and McDermott, the very opposite of what he preached.

I tell them what some fans like yourself clearly don't understand. Kanter and McDermott are a means to an end. They weren't targeted for their particular abilities. Melo was nearly impossible to move, and that's what had to come back in order to move him.

If you think bringing him back was an option, what we've clearly learned over the last 72 hours is he wanted no part of coming back.

This was a dump, not a trade. Catch up.

well I'll admit, I was a little surprised at how bad he wanted out, but when MILls and perry started talking about melo being professional and showing up for camp, as oppose to were looking forward to bring him back..I knew something was up..

The Problem I'm having with this franchise is, every trade is to dump players, so we always take any piece of crap we can find, and other teams capitalize on our stupidity

The contract, NTC and trade kicker were the stupid parts. The trade itself wasn't stupid, it was a necessary evil due to that prior stupidity. If you think Mills had any authority to stop Jackson from doing it, that's one thing. But is not meant him and Perry were cleaning up someone else's mess.

That isn't drinking Kool-Aid, that's just observing a fact.

Dude, what are we doing with 5 centers(only one a stretch, and none are quick enough to guard the perimeter), in a small ball, 3 point shooting ERA..

If this was a DUMP trade, then they caved in.

Do you remember the Center that JH used in his system with the suns, do you remember the roster that he had the most success with. Frye played center most of the time, and that roster was fast, penetrating guards (3 at a time on the floor)space and launch 3's. We have nothing close to that like MDA had no PG.

The knicks build rosters that don't fit the coach, thats why we run through them so much

Stupid enough to give him a NTC and want to trade him after 2 1/2 yrs, and stupid enough to cave in to his demands to acquire players that you don't need or really don't want.

It is what Is dude, 1 step fwd 2 steps back

ES
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

9/25/2017  11:13 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Kemet wrote:Us Knick Fans are still a mismanagement Knick team having a bogus losing puppet head coach in Hornacek, and another fake star franchise player with poor decision-making and no type of leadership ability standing at 7.3 on the perimeter begging for the ball.

That might make sense except for the fact out of the two of us, 72 hours ago I wasn't the one who thought the Knicks might actually contend for the postseason this year. So what flavor Koolaid am I drinking if I don't think the team is very good and you thought they might be?

Fans will voice their opinion, but if you don't agree with them, you start calling people out, as if this franchise or mills has any credibility.

I've zero problem with people with criticism about the team. What I don't understand are fans who are bitter and resentful. And I'm not even telling you you should be disappointed or pessimistic, I'm saying if you are to that extreme degree move on, its sports, it's fun.

what exactly do you tell a fan who listens to the president talk about defense as a priority, and acquires, bealsly, kanter, and McDermott, the very opposite of what he preached.

I tell them what some fans like yourself clearly don't understand. Kanter and McDermott are a means to an end. They weren't targeted for their particular abilities. Melo was nearly impossible to move, and that's what had to come back in order to move him.

If you think bringing him back was an option, what we've clearly learned over the last 72 hours is he wanted no part of coming back.

well I'll admit, I was a little surprised at how bad he wanted out, but when MILls and perry started talking about melo being professional and showing up for camp, as oppose to were looking forward to bring him back..I knew something was up..

The Problem I'm having with this franchise is, every trade is to dump players, so we always take any piece of crap we can find, and other teams capitalize on our stupidity

The contract, NTC and trade kicker were the stupid parts. The trade itself wasn't stupid, it was a necessary evil due to that prior stupidity. If you think Mills had any authority to stop Jackson from doing it, that's one thing. But is not meant him and Perry were cleaning up someone else's mess.

Dude, what are we doing with 5 centers(only one a stretch, and none are quick enough to guard the perimeter), in a small ball, 3 point shooting ERA..

Do you remember the Center that JH used in his system with the suns, do you remember the roster that he had the most success with. Frye played center most of the time, and that roster was fast, penetrating guards (3 at a time on the floor)space and launch 3's. We have nothing close to that like MDA had no PG.

The knicks build rosters that don't fit the coach, thats why we run through them so much

Stupid enough to give him a NTC and want to trade him after 2 1/2 yrs, and stupid enough to cave in to his demands to acquire players that you don't need or really don't want.

It is what Is dude, 1 step fwd 2 steps back

Again I think it’s a addition by subtraction,getting rid of melo no matter who we got in return is taking two steps forward .

The fact that we got kanter who at 25 can still become a star, for a washed up team chemistry killer! Are you kidding me, knicks and the knicks media should get a A for

1. Making melo look better then he really is, he really is a glorified Rudy gay thanks nyc media for still portraying him as a star. He isn’t he’s maybe a borderline all star if you don’t look at his advanced stats or his defense . He’s a declining average player

2. For Grabbing a player like kanter, who is just heading into his prime years. Is he god awful on defense, yes but he’s 25 how many players in there early 20’s are good defensive players? Not many.

So if kanter becomes a average defender we have a all star, if not we have a instant offense player we can bring off the bench like okc did.

3. Both players we received are movable pieces one on a one year deal the other on a possible 2 year deal.

The fact that we get to play team ball makes all the difference, we are not trying to win chips we are trying to grow. The melo trade was two huge steps in the right direction

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/25/2017  11:35 PM
This is a New Beginning and it feels GOOD!!! There's a lot of good talent on this team. I think this team can create it's own style and not have to worry about the Small Ball Era as if it's the only way to play. This team has some LEGIT Big Man Talent and there's nothing bad about that. This is just the beginning of the process of building this team and the trade opened up more possibilities for future moves.
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

9/25/2017  11:47 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Who are you expecting back for a 33-year-old making $26 million, a NTC and a trade kicker? Don't say I don't know, there's only handful players in the league you can trade $26 million. Name a trade?

As opposed to what, what positive is coming from the Knicks "not caving" and holding onto Melo?

Welpee
Member: #6239

9/26/2017  7:04 AM
fitzfarm wrote:
Welpee wrote:
reub wrote:

He's no longer the top dog, can't demand the ball, can't ignore the coach, can't undermine the system, can't berate his teammates, can't get management fired and now lives in Oklahoma. Poor guy!

I'm glad we can move on from Melo too, but how much longer are the Melo haters going to keep this up? If you don't like his game, fine. But this exaggeration about all the "bad" he did while he was here is ridiculous and totally unfair.

I don’t think anyone can hate melo the person dude is a great guy off the court. But fans have every right to hate on melo the player, nobody wants him injured, or should feel sorry for him. I’m sure it burns him on the inside that he became the biggest star looser in the nba, he failed to elevate his teammates games with his play. He’ll never be a leader like Jordan,Kobe,O’Neal, lebron, magic, bird, Ewing.

Hating on him because he's not among the greatest of all time or the greatest Knick of all-time? Maybe if we expected Melo to be Kobe that on us and not him? All of us can only be who we are. I agree, in hindsight Melo is no better than the #2 guy on a top flight team yet he was put in the position of being the top dog. Would Kevin McHale be who he is if he had to be the top dog in Boston instead of Bird?

Again, I'm happy Melo is gone and both parties can move on because it wasn't working here. But I think folks should really reexamine why they're exercising their "right" to hate on Melo and ask is it really fair.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

9/26/2017  7:19 AM
Truthfully I'm hoping the melo threads die down now that the trade has gone through. Most of us wish him luck BUT right now its a good time to be a knick fan. Its a fresh start and I feel really revitalized as a Knick fan for the first time in a long time. This is what ive wanted to happen for years which is to build a young core and add pieces as we grow. We don't have to worry about lack of picks or bad contracts(except Noah) anymnore. Cant wait for preseason to start.
Welpee
Member: #6239

9/26/2017  7:24 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/26/2017  7:25 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:Truthfully I'm hoping the melo threads die down now that the trade has gone through. Most of us wish him luck BUT right now its a good time to be a knick fan. Its a fresh start and I feel really revitalized as a Knick fan for the first time in a long time. This is what ive wanted to happen for years which is to build a young core and add pieces as we grow. We don't have to worry about lack of picks or bad contracts(except Noah) anymnore. Cant wait for preseason to start.
If we have a young, scrappy, developing team that plays hard, I'm good even if we don't win a ton of games. I think people looking forward to a tank season may be very disappointed. We may not make the playoffs, but I wouldn't be surprised if this were a close to .500 team.

Subtracting Melo and Phil and allowing Hornacek to coach how he sees fit without this triangle mandate is going to yield better results on the court in my opinion.

StarksEwing1

9/26/2017  7:29 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/26/2017  7:29 AM
Welpee wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:Truthfully I'm hoping the melo threads die down now that the trade has gone through. Most of us wish him luck BUT right now its a good time to be a knick fan. Its a fresh start and I feel really revitalized as a Knick fan for the first time in a long time. This is what ive wanted to happen for years which is to build a young core and add pieces as we grow. We don't have to worry about lack of picks or bad contracts(except Noah) anymnore. Cant wait for preseason to start.
If we have a young, scrappy, developing team that plays hard, I'm good even if we don't win a ton of games. I think people looking forward to a tank season may be very disappointed. We may not make the playoffs, but I wouldn't be surprised if this were a close to .500 team.

Subtracting Melo and Phil and allowing Hornacek to coach how he sees fit without this triangle mandate is going to yield better results on the court in my opinion.

Either way we are in a win win situation. Look I understand thisis a young team so there will be bumps. As long as the kids gain experience and grow as a team that's the most important thing. I think we might be able to surprise some in a weaker east BUT if it doesn't translate to wins at least we have all our draft picks so we can add more talent. Either way we are finally in a good position for the first time in many years
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/26/2017  8:47 AM
Some comments from Kanter from the Post...

As The Post reported, Kanter has spent the past few offseasons in New York because of its high-end culture and took on Anthony in his pickup games in his Manhattan gym. He’s happy to have another connection, having played for then-assistant coach Jeff Hornacek in Utah. Kanter is known for his bubbly personality, which was on display.

“I always played for the small cities, and I was wondering what it would be like to play in a bigger city like New York,’’ Kanter said. “I was with all these New York guys playing pickup this summer, and they were just friendly, really nice and warm people. I’m really excited to be here. And also there’s a big Turkish community here, a lot of Turkish restaurants. I’ll take you guys out to eat one day.’’

Meanwhile, his manager told The Post this weekend Kanter lost at least 33 pounds, going from 273 to 240 to get quicker defensively. He’ll face a starting center battle with Willy Hernangomez and possibly Joakim Noah, who will miss the first 11 games with a drug suspension.

“That’s something I’ve been working on,’’ said Kanter, who backed up Steven Adams in OKC but still averaged 14.3 points. “I’m trying to become a lot better team defender to help out and get more time on the floor.’’

Hernangomez, a reserve on Spain’s national team that won a bronze medal in the European Championships, said he’s ready to fight for the starting job.

“I think Enes is one of the best centers in the league, too,’’ Hernangomez said. “I met him a couple years ago. I think he’s a cool guy. I’m really excited because I think I can learn something from him and I can fight with him every day in practice, with Jo, and KO [Kyle O’Quinn] and KP, too. We’re not just fighting to be center. We can play together, too. Both of us, we want the best for the team.”

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/26/2017  8:48 AM
fitzfarm wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Us Knick Fans are still a mismanagement Knick team having a bogus losing puppet head coach in Hornacek, and another fake star franchise player with poor decision-making and no type of leadership ability standing at 7.3 on the perimeter begging for the ball.

It is to laugh. You're really questioning someone's intelligence for denegrating the best player on the team? LMFAO!!!

Kemet wrote:How is kp a fake star? The NBA has never seen a star like KP, he just took Latvia to the simi finals of the euro championship again Lavita that tiny country that never makes it out of the first round, that has nobody but KP . Talk about leadership? He led that team and willed them to victory.

KP will be ten times the star melo ever was I would be shocked if KP dose not win a chip in the nba in his prime for the knicks which is still years away. KP is more on the Ewing level of domination, it’s prob gonna take another year or two but to put it into prospective next year KP will be the same age as Ewing when Ewing came into the league... Ewing was a rookie kp will be a four year vet. This is the best the knicks have looked since 89-90.

Melo was poison, a team chemistry killer, a declining borderline all star.

Mis management? From years past this is the best our front office has looked for the first time it seems like everyone is on the same page.

The melo drama is over its time to celebrate 🎉 come on man get on the we are free of the melo train their is only one way to go from here up

yeah! KP is just like Ewing! Except for the fact that Ewing managed to drag pathetic Knick teams to the playoffs every year! Except that it didn't take Ewing 2 seasons to develop a post game! Yeah! Other than little things like winning games, KP is exactly like Ewing!

Yeah, I mean, it's not like the team's only going to win 2 games without Melo, right? Right?

And the NBA is practically just like Latvia! We're going all the way! Everyone, get on the chip train! Chooo chooo!

StarksEwing1

9/26/2017  8:50 AM
jrodmc wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Us Knick Fans are still a mismanagement Knick team having a bogus losing puppet head coach in Hornacek, and another fake star franchise player with poor decision-making and no type of leadership ability standing at 7.3 on the perimeter begging for the ball.

It is to laugh. You're really questioning someone's intelligence for denegrating the best player on the team? LMFAO!!!

Kemet wrote:How is kp a fake star? The NBA has never seen a star like KP, he just took Latvia to the simi finals of the euro championship again Lavita that tiny country that never makes it out of the first round, that has nobody but KP . Talk about leadership? He led that team and willed them to victory.

KP will be ten times the star melo ever was I would be shocked if KP dose not win a chip in the nba in his prime for the knicks which is still years away. KP is more on the Ewing level of domination, it’s prob gonna take another year or two but to put it into prospective next year KP will be the same age as Ewing when Ewing came into the league... Ewing was a rookie kp will be a four year vet. This is the best the knicks have looked since 89-90.

Mis management? From years past this is the best our front office has looked for the first time it seems like everyone is on the same page.

The melo drama is over its time to celebrate 🎉 come on man get on the we are free of the melo train their is only one way to go from here up

yeah! KP is just like Ewing! Except for the fact that Ewing managed to drag pathetic Knick teams to the playoffs every year! Except that it didn't take Ewing 2 seasons to develop a post game! Yeah! Other than little things like winning games, KP is exactly like Ewing!

Yeah, I mean, it's not like the team's only going to win 2 games without Melo, right? Right?

And the NBA is practically just like Latvia! We're going all the way! Everyone, get on the chip train! Chooo chooo!

I'm really surprised you are here I figured you would be halfway to OKC by now
jrodmc
USA
9/26/2017  8:52 AM
reub wrote:

Yeah, now he's got to struggle along, playing with the first actual triple double machine since the Big O, an all-star small forward who had fanboys even on an UltimateKnicks site, on a team that's guaranteed to be in postseason play instead of wondering if he's laboring under another tank playing with Langston Galloway and Lunchpail Lou... all while pulling down all that money.

Yeah, please cry for poor Melo...

jrodmc
USA
9/26/2017  8:57 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

I'm really surprised you are here I figured you would be halfway to OKC by now

No dude, like I've posted for the past decade or so, I wasn't a fan of Melo before he got here. Won't be following him now that he's gone.

But thanks for your contribution to the thread! Very informative!

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/26/2017  9:07 AM
Welpee wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
Welpee wrote:
reub wrote:

Hating on him because he's not among the greatest of all time or the greatest Knick of all-time? Maybe if we expected Melo to be Kobe that on us and not him? All of us can only be who we are. I agree, in hindsight Melo is no better than the #2 guy on a top flight team yet he was put in the position of being the top dog. Would Kevin McHale be who he is if he had to be the top dog in Boston instead of Bird?

Again, I'm happy Melo is gone and both parties can move on because it wasn't working here. But I think folks should really reexamine why they're exercising their "right" to hate on Melo and ask is it really fair.

how about simply hating on him for not playing defense, holding the ball and stinking in the playoffs. Are those fair reasons to be happy to move on from this superstar? I mean I cant remember a player whos had a such a blind group of devout followers who make excuses for every one of his shortcomings and failures. It gets old and Im happy to move on from it. Like we got a great 3/4 of a season from Amare we got a great season from Melo and it was fun. The rest of it was poor play on bad teams. Yea... most of Melo's teams here sucked. Thats not on him. In 7 years here he proved his reputation for apathetic defense, holding the ball and shooting his team out of the playoffs every year.

Its a big shrug.

That being said I am feeling better and better about the trade. I like the trio of Willy/KP/Kanter up front to grow and evaluate. Maybe one gets traded. Maybe Kanter or Willy become a great bench option. Kanter certainly was last year. McBuckets could also be a useful player. He's not a good defender but he tries. He reminds me of Allan Houston in that regard. He's got a sweet stroke, and we have an offensive coach. I think we did OK overall. Would have been nice to get a young defensive 3, like the Portland kid but we did OK. Now its up the FO and coaches to get these guys involved.

I do like our depth and I think that will challenge the team to be better. Fighting for minutes isnt a bad thing.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Cartman718
Member: #1694

9/26/2017  9:31 AM
Watch 7 min 30 sec mark to 10 min mark as he works his way through the leadership questions, but love the confidence about All Star selection.
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/26/2017  12:50 PM
jrodmc wrote:yeah! KP is just like Ewing! Except for the fact that Ewing managed to drag pathetic Knick teams to the playoffs every year! Except that it didn't take Ewing 2 seasons to develop a post game! Yeah! Other than little things like winning games, KP is exactly like Ewing!

Ewing was a 23 year old Rookie whereas KP came in as a 20 yr old. KP may never be Ewing or he could end up better! It's still an open question but KP has shown a BOATLOAD of potential already. They're of course totally different players so there's no direct comparison but this year KP can assume leadership of the team!

I'm not sure why there's a salty attitude towards KP given he's our first legit drafted talent with franchise potential since Ewing. Why kick dirt on him given his age and considerable potential? SMDH!

Melo traded to OKC (Kanter, Doug McDermott, CHI 2018 second-round draft pick)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy