[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Melo traded to OKC (Kanter, Doug McDermott, CHI 2018 second-round draft pick)
Author Thread
stanleybostitch
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1071

9/25/2017  4:56 PM
martin wrote:Man, he just seems like a genuinely likable dude

Thumbs up.

The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
AUTOADVERT
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

9/25/2017  5:08 PM
Kemet wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Uptown wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
awe1028 wrote:
Markji wrote:I give Perry an "A" for the way he handled this. He came into a very toxic situation and handled it like a pro. He didn't cave; he didn't publicly put down Melo; he didn't give into Melo and trade him to Houston for Ryan Anderson. That would have been a terrible trade for the Knicks.

He got the most value he could for Melo under the circumstances. Trading with Oklahoma, the only way to make salaries work was to get Kanter. While Kanter didn't address our immediate "need" for a PG or a SF, or a defensive player, he was the "best player available" and had a salary large enough to help provide a salary match for Melo.

Don't look at the negative. Look at the positive. Kanter is a beast offensively. He is also a beast under the boards, especially offensive rebounds. His per 36 numbers are off the chart offensively. McDermott is also very good offensively. He has an excellent shot and 3 pt shooters have become more valuable in today's game and should fit in nicely in Hornacek's offensive schemes. I'd rate the players we received a B.

If someone says we should build via the draft....Kanter was a #3 selection in the 2011 draft. McDermott was a #11 selection in the 2014 draft. Beasley was a #2 pick in the 2008 draft. Not all lottery picks, or even top lottery picks, become All-Stars. It is difficult to get ALL-Star plays thru the draft. A team has to get lucky as we did with Porzingis. But we just got 3 lottery picks/players who are very good offensively. Not great 2 way players but they will contribute and add to the Knicks team if Horny utilizes their strengths wisely.

I am very pleased that this trade was done and now we can move on.

This post is excellent. Everything you say about the deal is spot on. People who are disappointed with the haul were not paying attention. No one was giving the knicks equal return for Carmelo especially after Phil depressed Carmelo's trade value. As such the Knicks probably were getting offers of players with bad contracts.

As you so rightfully said Perry handled the situation like pro as he did not panic or cave. Instead he waited Carmelo out until he opened up his list of teams and got a palatable deal.

In Kanter the Knicks got a player with value who they can trade if need be. It is also possible though unlikely Kanter will be gone after the season as he has player option. Conversely Kanter he is a talented player off the bench or even a starter should they decide to keep him.

Mcdermott is also a player who could be a throw in in a deal and his contract is fairly cap friendl, Again just like you said A+ handling of the situation by Perry.

Finally, the other important point no one is talking about: with this trade the Knicks really have a chance to be one of the worse teams in 2018 giving them a legitimate shot at Michael Porter or Luca Doncic in the draft. For that Perry deserves an A+++.

Have to agree with this. Except for the excitement of losing and being a lottery team. Never liked watching a year of losing to play lotto.

My biggest hope is that management is good enough not to F up the KP era. Not very confident as they have F up every other era, including the Melo era.

Hope I am wrong and these young guys meet the expectations.

IDK, mills talked about defense as a priority, and acquired some the worst defenders in the league, not to mention a coaching staff that made RAMBIS the primary defensive coach.

Did you really expect Mills and Perry to check off boxes in the Team needs and wants column by trading Melo? Seriously, considering the extreme circumstances of this trade, we would have been lucky to get warm bodies with short contracts. Instead we got two viable assets (Kanter can be moved next yr and the Bulls pick) and a player in Kanter that can be very productive for us.

melo doesn't pass, or play d, and he takes touches away from willy and kp, that sounds exactly what kanter is.

he doesn't play any sort of defense, doesn't draw doubles, avgs less than 1 assist, and plays the exact same position your 2 promising young bigs play. Is he a assets, perhaps he is.

But we have a history of trading our assets for someone far worse, or cap space, then we take our cap space and overpay the likes of AMARES, NOAHS, MELOS, THJ.

Hopefully THJ turns in to allan Houston 2.0, Kp turns into EWING, and frank turns into starks.

Funny, all the same characters touting Melo as the 'defensive liability who can only provide scoring' are now jerking off over Enos Fuhuquing Kanter and a bag of sheehit.
Guess we get to see how brilliant all you "The Trade that Raped Our Beloved Franchise" geniuses are come opening day of the regular season.

I certainly hope KP can suddenly live up to his own hype.

The trade that raped us were the 2011 Melo-Trade !!!
Melo's Gone .. good riddance.
Melo Fans should be happy .. Melo's on a team having the leagues "little Lebron" in Westbrook.
Last season Westbrook took OKC to the postseason games, in the offseason OKC added Paul George to become contenders in the western conference. Now OKC added a scorer in Melo to give Paul George more room n space on offense.

Us Knick Fans are still a mismanagement Knick team having a bogus losing puppet head coach in Hornacek, and another fake star franchise player with poor decision-making and no type of leadership ability standing at 7.3 on the perimeter begging for the ball.

The trade that raped us was Bagnani. And the trade we made for that Starphucked former coach that gutted the team.

But your right. Not a day goes by thinking about how WE could have been Denver the last 7 years!

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
HofstraBBall

9/25/2017  5:11 PM
stanleybostitch wrote:
martin wrote:Man, he just seems like a genuinely likable dude

Thumbs up.

Was watching how he found out live on Periscope. Was impressed with his composure. Specially with all the dumb ass fans writing stupid comments. He had a genuious thank you video as well. Wish him well.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Kemet
Member: #6148

9/25/2017  5:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/25/2017  5:33 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Kemet wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Uptown wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
awe1028 wrote:
Markji wrote:I give Perry an "A" for the way he handled this. He came into a very toxic situation and handled it like a pro. He didn't cave; he didn't publicly put down Melo; he didn't give into Melo and trade him to Houston for Ryan Anderson. That would have been a terrible trade for the Knicks.

He got the most value he could for Melo under the circumstances. Trading with Oklahoma, the only way to make salaries work was to get Kanter. While Kanter didn't address our immediate "need" for a PG or a SF, or a defensive player, he was the "best player available" and had a salary large enough to help provide a salary match for Melo.

Don't look at the negative. Look at the positive. Kanter is a beast offensively. He is also a beast under the boards, especially offensive rebounds. His per 36 numbers are off the chart offensively. McDermott is also very good offensively. He has an excellent shot and 3 pt shooters have become more valuable in today's game and should fit in nicely in Hornacek's offensive schemes. I'd rate the players we received a B.

If someone says we should build via the draft....Kanter was a #3 selection in the 2011 draft. McDermott was a #11 selection in the 2014 draft. Beasley was a #2 pick in the 2008 draft. Not all lottery picks, or even top lottery picks, become All-Stars. It is difficult to get ALL-Star plays thru the draft. A team has to get lucky as we did with Porzingis. But we just got 3 lottery picks/players who are very good offensively. Not great 2 way players but they will contribute and add to the Knicks team if Horny utilizes their strengths wisely.

This post is excellent. Everything you say about the deal is spot on. People who are disappointed with the haul were not paying attention. No one was giving the knicks equal return for Carmelo especially after Phil depressed Carmelo's trade value. As such the Knicks probably were getting offers of players with bad contracts.

As you so rightfully said Perry handled the situation like pro as he did not panic or cave. Instead he waited Carmelo out until he opened up his list of teams and got a palatable deal.

In Kanter the Knicks got a player with value who they can trade if need be. It is also possible though unlikely Kanter will be gone after the season as he has player option. Conversely Kanter he is a talented player off the bench or even a starter should they decide to keep him.

Mcdermott is also a player who could be a throw in in a deal and his contract is fairly cap friendl, Again just like you said A+ handling of the situation by Perry.

Finally, the other important point no one is talking about: with this trade the Knicks really have a chance to be one of the worse teams in 2018 giving them a legitimate shot at Michael Porter or Luca Doncic in the draft. For that Perry deserves an A+++.

Have to agree with this. Except for the excitement of losing and being a lottery team. Never liked watching a year of losing to play lotto.

My biggest hope is that management is good enough not to F up the KP era. Not very confident as they have F up every other era, including the Melo era.

IDK, mills talked about defense as a priority, and acquired some the worst defenders in the league, not to mention a coaching staff that made RAMBIS the primary defensive coach.

Did you really expect Mills and Perry to check off boxes in the Team needs and wants column by trading Melo? Seriously, considering the extreme circumstances of this trade, we would have been lucky to get warm bodies with short contracts. Instead we got two viable assets (Kanter can be moved next yr and the Bulls pick) and a player in Kanter that can be very productive for us.

melo doesn't pass, or play d, and he takes touches away from willy and kp, that sounds exactly what kanter is.

he doesn't play any sort of defense, doesn't draw doubles, avgs less than 1 assist, and plays the exact same position your 2 promising young bigs play. Is he a assets, perhaps he is.

But we have a history of trading our assets for someone far worse, or cap space, then we take our cap space and overpay the likes of AMARES, NOAHS, MELOS, THJ.

Hopefully THJ turns in to allan Houston 2.0, Kp turns into EWING, and frank turns into starks.

Funny, all the same characters touting Melo as the 'defensive liability who can only provide scoring' are now jerking off over Enos Fuhuquing Kanter and a bag of sheehit.
Guess we get to see how brilliant all you "The Trade that Raped Our Beloved Franchise" geniuses are come opening day of the regular season.

I certainly hope KP can suddenly live up to his own hype.

The trade that raped us were the 2011 Melo-Trade !!!
Melo's Gone .. good riddance.
Melo Fans should be happy .. Melo's on a team having the leagues "little Lebron" in Westbrook.
Last season Westbrook took OKC to the postseason games, in the offseason OKC added Paul George to become contenders in the western conference. Now OKC added a scorer in Melo to give Paul George more room n space on offense.

Us Knick Fans are still a mismanagement Knick team having a bogus losing puppet head coach in Hornacek, and another fake star franchise player with poor decision-making and no type of leadership ability standing at 7.3 on the perimeter begging for the ball.

The trade that raped us was Bagnani. And the trade we made for that Starphucked former coach that gutted the team.

But your right. Not a day goes by thinking about how WE could have been Denver the last 7 years!

We never would have needed to make the trade for Melo if we kept David Lee or traded David Lee to GS for Milsap.
In 2010-11 season the Knicks needed a SG at the trading deadline, because we traded David Lee for 3 BUST players in offseason.
Dolan n Melo wanted Marcus Camby off their team again asap, so the interim GM traded Camby for BUST Barganni!
Recall Dolan traded Camby n Nene for a player that refuse to play for the Knicks .. And Melo had Camby traded off the Nuggets to the Clippers for nothing in return because Camby spoke out against Melo for not putting any effort on defesne after a postseason loss.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

9/25/2017  5:37 PM
Watching Kanter's game now, the highlights, I think he is a really good player in regards to Melo going out.
Number 1 thing we missed without Melo was a high quality shot creator. Up until this point in his career, KP has not been great in that.
With Hardaway and Kanter, I think we've added two young guys that will make up for Melo's loss in shot creating.
They won't get on a roll and dominate the scoring like Melo could, because they are not all-stars.
But each game you can throw them the ball and when the offense breaks down, or they have the match up, I can see them going to work.

Kanter can score 1 on 1.
Hardaway can score 1 on 1.
We've got some shooters.
Great size.
KP obviously is an enormous all around talent.

The main quesion mark on this team will be the point guards. Who will create baskets for others. Is Ron that good? Is Frank able to help right away? We need a guard that can look for the open man and run the offense. Ron Baker showed potential last year, late. Frank is all potential. Ramon and Jack are vets. We really will need to have some point guard consistency to be a competitive team.

After much thought, I'd like to see Kanter, Porzingis, Thomas, Hardaway, Baker start. Willy, Beasley, McDermott, Lee and Frank back them up. If our point guards don't do what they need to, lean more on Ramon or Jarret if he's healthy.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/25/2017  5:40 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:Watching Kanter's game now, the highlights, I think he is a really good player in regards to Melo going out.
Number 1 thing we missed without Melo was a high quality shot creator. Up until this point in his career, KP has not been great in that.
With Hardaway and Kanter, I think we've added two young guys that will make up for Melo's loss in shot creating.
They won't get on a roll and dominate the scoring like Melo could, because they are not all-stars.
But each game you can throw them the ball and when the offense breaks down, or they have the match up, I can see them going to work.

Kanter can score 1 on 1.
Hardaway can score 1 on 1.
We've got some shooters.
Great size.
KP obviously is an enormous all around talent.

The main quesion mark on this team will be the point guards. Who will create baskets for others. Is Ron that good? Is Frank able to help right away? We need a guard that can look for the open man and run the offense. Ron Baker showed potential last year, late. Frank is all potential. Ramon and Jack are vets. We really will need to have some point guard consistency to be a competitive team.

After much thought, I'd like to see Kanter, Porzingis, Thomas, Hardaway, Baker start. Willy, Beasley, McDermott, Lee and Frank back them up. If our point guards don't do what they need to, lean more on Ramon or Jarret if he's healthy.

Doncic

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
HofstraBBall

9/25/2017  5:46 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
awe1028 wrote:

Agree

Gudris
Member: #6213

9/25/2017  6:10 PM
Melo looks really unhappy and confused, start to feel sorry for him
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
9/25/2017  6:46 PM
from Melo:"For me, I've stayed with teams, stayed in situations for contractual reasons and money and not wanting to leave money on the table."
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

9/25/2017  6:57 PM
Kemet wrote:Us Knick Fans are still a mismanagement Knick team having a bogus losing puppet head coach in Hornacek, and another fake star franchise player with poor decision-making and no type of leadership ability standing at 7.3 on the perimeter begging for the ball.

Then why are you a fan? You stupid or something?

Knickoftime

9/25/2017  7:02 PM
Kemet wrote:We never would have needed to make the trade for Melo if we kept David Lee or traded David Lee to GS for Milsap.

Pardon?

fitzfarm
Member: #3285

9/25/2017  7:38 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
Kemet wrote:Us Knick Fans are still a mismanagement Knick team having a bogus losing puppet head coach in Hornacek, and another fake star franchise player with poor decision-making and no type of leadership ability standing at 7.3 on the perimeter begging for the ball.

How is kp a fake star? The NBA has never seen a star like KP, he just took Latvia to the simi finals of the euro championship again Lavita that tiny country that never makes it out of the first round, that has nobody but KP . Talk about leadership? He led that team and willed them to victory.

KP will be ten times the star melo ever was I would be shocked if KP dose not win a chip in the nba in his prime for the knicks which is still years away. KP is more on the Ewing level of domination, it’s prob gonna take another year or two but to put it into prospective next year KP will be the same age as Ewing when Ewing came into the league... Ewing was a rookie kp will be a four year vet. This is the best the knicks have looked since 89-90.

Melo was poison, a team chemistry killer, a declining borderline all star.

Mis management? From years past this is the best our front office has looked for the first time it seems like everyone is on the same page.

The melo drama is over its time to celebrate 🎉 come on man get on the we are free of the melo train their is only one way to go from here up

knicks1248
Member: #582
9/25/2017  7:40 PM
Knickoftime wrote:

you seem to drink every cup of kool aid the mills pours

Fans will voice their opinion, but if you don't agree with them, you start calling people out, as if this franchise or mills has any credibility.

what exactly do you tell a fan who listens to the president talk about defense as a priority, and acquires, bealsly, kanter, and McDermott, the very opposite of what he preached.

It's like saying we need more scoring and guys that can create, then bring in Mutumbo, bowen, and Tyson chandler.

ES
Knickoftime

9/25/2017  7:52 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

That might make sense except for the fact out of the two of us, 72 hours ago I wasn't the one who thought the Knicks might actually contend for the postseason this year. So what flavor Koolaid am I drinking if I don't think the team is very good and you thought they might be?

Fans will voice their opinion, but if you don't agree with them, you start calling people out, as if this franchise or mills has any credibility.

I've zero problem with people with criticism about the team. What I don't understand are fans who are bitter and resentful. And I'm not even telling you you should be disappointed or pessimistic, I'm saying if you are to that extreme degree move on, its sports, it's fun.

what exactly do you tell a fan who listens to the president talk about defense as a priority, and acquires, bealsly, kanter, and McDermott, the very opposite of what he preached.

I tell them what some fans like yourself clearly don't understand. Kanter and McDermott are a means to an end. They weren't targeted for their particular abilities. Melo was nearly impossible to move, and that's what had to come back in order to move him.

If you think bringing him back was an option, what we've clearly learned over the last 72 hours is he wanted no part of coming back.

This was a dump, not a trade. Catch up.

knicks1248
Member: #582
9/25/2017  8:01 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

That might make sense except for the fact out of the two of us, 72 hours ago I wasn't the one who thought the Knicks might actually contend for the postseason this year. So what flavor Koolaid am I drinking if I don't think the team is very good and you thought they might be?

I've zero problem with people with criticism about the team. What I don't understand are fans who are bitter and resentful. And I'm not even telling you you should be disappointed or pessimistic, I'm saying if you are to that extreme degree move on, its sports, it's fun.

I tell them what some fans like yourself clearly don't understand. Kanter and McDermott are a means to an end. They weren't targeted for their particular abilities. Melo was nearly impossible to move, and that's what had to come back in order to move him.

If you think bringing him back was an option, what we've clearly learned over the last 72 hours is he wanted no part of coming back.

well I'll admit, I was a little surprised at how bad he wanted out, but when MILls and perry started talking about melo being professional and showing up for camp, as oppose to were looking forward to bring him back..I knew something was up..

The Problem I'm having with this franchise is, every trade is to dump players, so we always take any piece of crap we can find, and other teams capitalize on our stupidity

ES
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

9/25/2017  8:08 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Exactly this was as simple as addition by subtraction

best case kanter becomes a ok defender and a star. And everyone thinks we got a steal for melo. worst case the bench guy he was at okc regardless hes here for 2 years at the most if the worst case happens... McDermott is a free agent after this year he either shows he belongs or we move on. Both guys are easy to trade... the move is really a win win for both parties at least there is a chance kanter takes it to the next level.

The thing he said that I don’t under stand is KP is a fake star? WHAT?

Knickoftime

9/25/2017  8:13 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

well I'll admit, I was a little surprised at how bad he wanted out, but when MILls and perry started talking about melo being professional and showing up for camp, as oppose to were looking forward to bring him back..I knew something was up..

The Problem I'm having with this franchise is, every trade is to dump players, so we always take any piece of crap we can find, and other teams capitalize on our stupidity

The contract, NTC and trade kicker were the stupid parts. The trade itself wasn't stupid, it was a necessary evil due to that prior stupidity. If you think Mills had any authority to stop Jackson from doing it, that's one thing. But is not meant him and Perry were cleaning up someone else's mess.

That isn't drinking Kool-Aid, that's just observing a fact.

reub
Member: #6227

9/25/2017  9:21 PM
Gudris wrote:Melo looks really unhappy and confused, start to feel sorry for him

He's no longer the top dog, can't demand the ball, can't ignore the coach, can't undermine the system, can't berate his teammates, can't get management fired and now lives in Oklahoma. Poor guy!

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

9/25/2017  9:57 PM
Gudris wrote:Melos does not look very happy :D

Fukk that and how he feels. I do feel bad for PG though, he may never see the ball, unless he takes a picture of Lavar and sticks out on his locker. Between Russel being Russel and Melo's "getting his", PG will take around 5 shots a game?

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Welpee
Member: #6239

9/25/2017  10:16 PM
reub wrote:
Gudris wrote:Melo looks really unhappy and confused, start to feel sorry for him

He's no longer the top dog, can't demand the ball, can't ignore the coach, can't undermine the system, can't berate his teammates, can't get management fired and now lives in Oklahoma. Poor guy!

I'm glad we can move on from Melo too, but how much longer are the Melo haters going to keep this up? If you don't like his game, fine. But this exaggeration about all the "bad" he did while he was here is ridiculous and totally unfair.
Melo traded to OKC (Kanter, Doug McDermott, CHI 2018 second-round draft pick)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy