Topic LOCKED
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
9/18/2017  6:30 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Another angle not discussed.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/do-police-write-tickets-to-make-money.htm

Traffic ticket quotas — a practice in which police officers are either pressured or strictly required to issue a certain number of traffic tickets in a certain time frame — were once kept under wraps but are now pretty much out in the open. Some police departments deny that they have ever engaged in the practice, while others staunchly defend it. But why? Why increase the public's distrust of the police? Why insist that police officers spend time making traffic stops for weak accusations of minor offenses, which often need to be defended in court? Couldn't all that time and effort and manpower be better spent actually protecting and serving?

Unfortunately, the response is a common one: it all comes down to money. Plenty of police departments around the United States are facing higher expenses and smaller budgets, and have come to see traffic tickets as a way to increase revenue. Need more money to buy equipment or give raises or pay pensions? Write more tickets and collect more fines.

Look back--I already did. No way that there should be quotas.

There is to much money to be made. All you have to do is target the poor and defensless. The others will just blame it on the culture.

As an American I do NOT want police quotas--exactly who would? Really no one.

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
9/18/2017  7:14 PM
Anyone want to answer the question?

Colin Kaspernick is protesting that police killed 250 African Americans out of the 1100 total citizens killed in 2015. Can someone come up with a figure oh how many African Americans were saved by police?

RIP Crushalot😞
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/18/2017  7:43 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Anyone want to answer the question?

Colin Kaspernick is protesting that police killed 250 African Americans out of the 1100 total citizens killed in 2015. Can someone come up with a figure oh how many African Americans were saved by police?

BRIGGS at this point it's pretty clear that you don't have any interest in furthering this discussion of coming up with solutions.

Your understanding of these topics is pretty low grade, the questions you ask pertain to nothing and you are not coming up with any solutions or dialog that anyone has any real interest in engaging.

You are paying attention to most of the responses you are getting?

Part of being even vaguely self aware and responsive, empathetic of others is not happening on your part.

When is it going to start?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
9/18/2017  7:43 PM

Police are compensated to do so its the job they signed up for.

How were these African Americans killed Briggs? Were their deaths justified? Were their deaths avoidable? If they weren't justified and were avoidable. Were the officers involved held accountable?

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Knickoftime
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3370

9/18/2017  7:45 PM

You mean how many performed their job? I would hope every single time such an opportunity presented itself.

You want to give credit to police officers for performing their job description and not intentionally letting a black person die?

This is why you're a ridiculous figure.

newyorknewyork
9/18/2017  7:46 PM
martin wrote:

BRIGGS at this point it's pretty clear that you don't have any interest in furthering this discussion of coming up with solutions.

Your understanding of these topics is pretty low grade, the questions you ask pertain to nothing and you are not coming up with any solutions or dialog that anyone has any real interest in engaging.

Part of being even vaguely self aware and responsive, empathetic of others is not happening on your part.

His disregard for human life is amazing.

Knickoftime
Member: #3370

9/18/2017  7:49 PM
martin wrote:

I believe at this stage it's clear the capacity doesn't exist.

djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
9/18/2017  8:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/18/2017  8:13 PM
briggs is very similar to trump in many regards.

ever read his posts here? he posts every single thought that comes to him (donald tweets) then changes his mind not more than a day or two later.

he posts extremes like when he thought sarah palin was going to make it tough for obama to win the election after hearing her first speech.

anthony randolph? andrew bynum? on and on and on just like obama's birth certificate.

very emotional and easily swayed. makes broad proclamations with no concern for anything said and no fear of any repricussions.

nk needs to get nuked. obliterate the middle east. erase millions of people.

his posting style is as trump like as you can get. and now with the way he's talking politics, it seems that it extends past basketball talk.

he relates to him on some levels that many here don't. his comments about hillary had very sexist undertones (if not blatant) but his attitude towards trump is just the opposite - almost lauding him b/c i think at some level, he sees a little of himself in him or he is the type of guy he wants to be.

then he sympathized more with those idiots in charlottesville and trump's response despite all of them basically wanting his "kind" dead.

he is 100% entitled to his views and i don't know the life he's lived. but it's clear that he's not trying in any way to hear from the other side no matter what is presented to him. another trump like quality.

PresIke
Member: #33
USA
9/18/2017  8:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/18/2017  9:13 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
djsunyc wrote:why does the anthem have to be correlated to armed services?

Because BRIGGS says so, presumably so he can launch another attack on black people

All Ive said is Caucasians Asians and Europeans are scared of inner city AA. That I believe that fear heightens police with AA. What is not the truth--man that is as honest as it gets. Go hang out in the projects with the police 45 hours a week and see how over time your mental well being is. What AA could disagree with this--its no attack--its honesty?????

So, given this alleged "fear" why are those who work in such communities (which are also not always composed of African-Americans), working very hard to empower and support those who live there to overcome obstacles that are present in life not considered to be in "service" to the country in which they live when that is exactly the point of the work?

I assume you are familiar with the term civil service? The word "service" is quite blatantly ingrained in that term, yet somehow there is no one bowing there heads to the anthem and thinking of these individuals who do work I know most people would not, and even some who do are not committed to the challenges involved burn out and frequently leave within a few years to do something less difficult/stressfull.

Like NFL players who we know know are now at risk for brain damage and lower life outcomes due to playing football, it is widely known that stress levels for those who work in such difficult situations and an emphasis on self-care is more so than many other fields are risking their lives to be shortened by choosing these fields of "service" over something more focused on monetary or personal gain. (Not really due to being "scared of inner city AA" for quite a few btw, speaking as one who has a lot of experience in this work).

Btw, I work all day, every day with "inner city AA" adolescents, teenagers, and their families, with those that these police would likely be afraid of, not even what they look like but based upon their histories, and I am not at all afraid. I work in a neighborhood that has a so-called awful reputation according to some, and btw, this doesn't make me better than anyone else. It has taken a lot of work over my life to get to where I am and I am grateful for many people who have challenged my thinking over the years. I have also worked with whites who have been afraid as a field supervisor/instructor for Masters level social work students, who we together have worked on helping process. Every one I have taught and worked with has found ways to lower their fears through desire to learn and grow, which can involve very uncomfortable moments. The point is the police do not get to use this as an excuse, and I know there are police who are seen differently, because they put in the necessary work to work in such communities.

So, again, I'd care to hear why we don't celebrate or by using your definition, consider these individuals when we think of those in "service." Reality is there are sometimes some quite significant risks to ones life (very much related to significant mental health impact) that some would never taken on, nor commit to and even some who do able to challenge themselves enough that is required for the good of the work.

If you ask me, it's not hard to see the reasons why this is not discussed or considered, but the argument that military are the only "service" individuals in society seems rather disrespectful, if you ask me, to many who have dedicated their lives to service of other kinds throughout history, sometimes legitimately risking their own lives without any sort of uniform on to represent the government's military.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
Welpee
Member: #6239

9/18/2017  9:30 PM
Welpee wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Its stupid even to debate this. The majority white people--Asians Europeans are scared of the inner cities--period. No discussion --everyone knows it. You want to BS--thats fine. I never said white people are scared of black people--that is Knickstime taking my words and changing them again. I said inner city AA.

BRIGGS wrote:Yes Knicks--I think AA need to curb propensity towards violence as a whole-

BRIGGS wrote:AA for the most part have great hatred towards whites? and on the other hand white people along with Asian and European are fearful of AA.

You want to try again?

If you read context Im stating inner city AA. Thats what I meant the whole time and you know that--no need to BS. Honestly the issue of black on black crime is much more problematic of an issue than what anyone is protesting the National Anthem for.

Yes Knicks--I think AA need to curb propensity towards violence as a whole-
Tell me how the context of that statement is referencing "inner city" AA?

It's funny how people like Briggs are quick to yell "fake news" regarding Trump, but believe everything negative they hear about minorities and will not even consider the possibility of bias or slanted reporting.

Unfortunately there's a lot more like him who are now feeling empowered to grab their club and loin cloth and come out of their cave.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

9/18/2017  9:43 PM
arkrud wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
arkrud wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:The first question one may ask when disregarding the 'theme" of standing is "what have I personally done for my country". What did this country afford my family and I? Have I ever served the countries military? Have I put myself in harms way to protect others freedoms? Have I talked to members of the military who have done more than I and asked them what do they feel about the "National anthem". Do they feel it would be disrespectful to them if someone chose not to stand for it. The National Anthem is not a self-serving platform--go look at the origins of OUR military. Feel free to ask REAL servicemen how they feel about the SIMPLE appreciation and then come back here. It's really easy to disrespect the people who keep the nation safe everyday and who have for 250 years. Its not a platform for protest--its a pledge of respect. How does disrespecting hundreds of millions of servicemen create any good? I'm going to be selfish and use this platform of respect for people who have done nothing but safeguarded my well being?

Dude, you are clueless!!!! Are you reading the responses in this thread! The protest has nothing to do with the military! But since you are so gung-ho about your national anthem, do you care about the actual author of the national anthem? Do you care that the original national anthem had the following verse:

No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

The national anthem that you speak of talks about killing slaves....In this day and age, why do we still sing this song?!

Yes, and I object to calling only people who serve in the military "servicemen." If you are a doctor, a teacher, a sanitation worker, or just a kind person, you are serving the country.

Exactly! Especially teachers who are routinely scrutinized and poorly compensated despite being so crucial to furthering a strong and healthy democracy.

My brother teaches math and makes over 80 k a year with complete summers off ana a full workload of 190 days. How does that compare with people who don't even make 1/4 of that and put their lives on the line. Admirable vocation-- absolutely-- does it compare to servicemen-- you have to be kidding.

If you want to sit during the National Anthem-- go ahead but believe me 80-90% of the people will think you are disrespectful to our nation. You would not be here without the military -- you would not have exsisted

If anyone thinks any type of platform will be hear while disrespecting those you are trying to communicate with-- what kind of common sense does that make?

Who are these people defending us from? How many American lives were put on the line defending our country since the WWII - what the fukk are you talking about? We wouldn't exist if not for this imaginary defense against imaginary perpetrators because you said so?

Without education and science our military would be on par with Myanmar. Take away but the technology and no country on earth would give a **** about our military. We couldn't even handle Vietnamese guerillas. The only deterrent is the TECHNOLOGY in the hands of the military. That and not imaginary sacrifices by the military defending our country keeps us safe.

You totally clueless man.
I was on the other site and if no American army Russians will left no stone standing in US.
And Wehrmacht will gladly do the same.
And if no police, firefighter, and first responders you ass will be up for grub any day by anyone who so desire.
Leaving in comfort, security, and prosperity made so many Americans delusional while thinking they are very intellectually sound.
They just sound silly and so no one really taking them seriously. And this is a good thing.

Are you able to read? I didn't say anything about police or firefighters. I said no one gives a rats ass about our military personnel. Our military power is absolute because of our technology superiority and NOT because of the personnel.

Age or Robots it yet to begin.
Soldiers are fighting the war. The real war not punishing Kim, Serbians, or bunch of Muslim rebels.
The war when existence of the way of life of the whole nations is at stake.
The military we have is there for this war never be for us.
And so far they stand to the promise.
But if we will not stand as one behind this soldiers and behind this anthem we will get our-self this real war.
War in which color of you skin will not matter.
Symbols are sometimes bigger that man or the group of man whoever they are.
No one should take it light as it has much bigger consequences that people blinded by security and prosperity given to them think.

I have no idea what that means so I am giving it a pass
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
BRIGGS
9/18/2017  11:46 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/18/2017  11:49 PM
djsunyc wrote:briggs is very similar to trump in many regards.

ever read his posts here? he posts every single thought that comes to him (donald tweets) then changes his mind not more than a day or two later.

he posts extremes like when he thought sarah palin was going to make it tough for obama to win the election after hearing her first speech.

anthony randolph? andrew bynum? on and on and on just like obama's birth certificate.

very emotional and easily swayed. makes broad proclamations with no concern for anything said and no fear of any repricussions.

nk needs to get nuked. obliterate the middle east. erase millions of people.

his posting style is as trump like as you can get. and now with the way he's talking politics, it seems that it extends past basketball talk.

he relates to him on some levels that many here don't. his comments about hillary had very sexist undertones (if not blatant) but his attitude towards trump is just the opposite - almost lauding him b/c i think at some level, he sees a little of himself in him or he is the type of guy he wants to be.

then he sympathized more with those idiots in charlottesville and trump's response despite all of them basically wanting his "kind" dead.

he is 100% entitled to his views and i don't know the life he's lived. but it's clear that he's not trying in any way to hear from the other side no matter what is presented to him. another trump like quality.

Dj--a little uncool to take personal shots but it's OK--Im a big boy:) You know sticks and stones. Donald Trump has THE "business model" for the US and all he has to do is stay the course. You'll come to appreciate him over the next 7+ years! There is no doubt--absolute no doubt that Hillary Clinton is an absolute fraud and Trump is quite sincere towards the American plight. In the next two years people who really need it will have 2-4000$ more in the pocket--he will get rid of H+R block which rips poor people off at tax time--there will be many more jobs our infrastructure will change from the inner cities to the backwoods highways and they will come back in 3 years for more of the same.! Get used to it Nicki Haley for President 2024 first female President!

RIP Crushalot😞
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

9/19/2017  1:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/19/2017  1:24 AM
BRIGGS, arkrud, reub, StarksEwing, jrodmc, and gunsewing, take this personality test and let me know what type you guys are.

https://www.16personalities.com/

For the record, I'm a "debater type".

arkrud
Member: #995
USA
9/19/2017  1:24 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
arkrud wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
arkrud wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:The first question one may ask when disregarding the 'theme" of standing is "what have I personally done for my country". What did this country afford my family and I? Have I ever served the countries military? Have I put myself in harms way to protect others freedoms? Have I talked to members of the military who have done more than I and asked them what do they feel about the "National anthem". Do they feel it would be disrespectful to them if someone chose not to stand for it. The National Anthem is not a self-serving platform--go look at the origins of OUR military. Feel free to ask REAL servicemen how they feel about the SIMPLE appreciation and then come back here. It's really easy to disrespect the people who keep the nation safe everyday and who have for 250 years. Its not a platform for protest--its a pledge of respect. How does disrespecting hundreds of millions of servicemen create any good? I'm going to be selfish and use this platform of respect for people who have done nothing but safeguarded my well being?

Dude, you are clueless!!!! Are you reading the responses in this thread! The protest has nothing to do with the military! But since you are so gung-ho about your national anthem, do you care about the actual author of the national anthem? Do you care that the original national anthem had the following verse:

No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

The national anthem that you speak of talks about killing slaves....In this day and age, why do we still sing this song?!

Yes, and I object to calling only people who serve in the military "servicemen." If you are a doctor, a teacher, a sanitation worker, or just a kind person, you are serving the country.

Exactly! Especially teachers who are routinely scrutinized and poorly compensated despite being so crucial to furthering a strong and healthy democracy.

My brother teaches math and makes over 80 k a year with complete summers off ana a full workload of 190 days. How does that compare with people who don't even make 1/4 of that and put their lives on the line. Admirable vocation-- absolutely-- does it compare to servicemen-- you have to be kidding.

If you want to sit during the National Anthem-- go ahead but believe me 80-90% of the people will think you are disrespectful to our nation. You would not be here without the military -- you would not have exsisted

If anyone thinks any type of platform will be hear while disrespecting those you are trying to communicate with-- what kind of common sense does that make?

Who are these people defending us from? How many American lives were put on the line defending our country since the WWII - what the fukk are you talking about? We wouldn't exist if not for this imaginary defense against imaginary perpetrators because you said so?

Without education and science our military would be on par with Myanmar. Take away but the technology and no country on earth would give a **** about our military. We couldn't even handle Vietnamese guerillas. The only deterrent is the TECHNOLOGY in the hands of the military. That and not imaginary sacrifices by the military defending our country keeps us safe.

You totally clueless man.
I was on the other site and if no American army Russians will left no stone standing in US.
And Wehrmacht will gladly do the same.
And if no police, firefighter, and first responders you ass will be up for grub any day by anyone who so desire.
Leaving in comfort, security, and prosperity made so many Americans delusional while thinking they are very intellectually sound.
They just sound silly and so no one really taking them seriously. And this is a good thing.

Are you able to read? I didn't say anything about police or firefighters. I said no one gives a rats ass about our military personnel. Our military power is absolute because of our technology superiority and NOT because of the personnel.

Age or Robots it yet to begin.
Soldiers are fighting the war. The real war not punishing Kim, Serbians, or bunch of Muslim rebels.
The war when existence of the way of life of the whole nations is at stake.
The military we have is there for this war never be for us.
And so far they stand to the promise.
But if we will not stand as one behind this soldiers and behind this anthem we will get our-self this real war.
War in which color of you skin will not matter.
Symbols are sometimes bigger that man or the group of man whoever they are.
No one should take it light as it has much bigger consequences that people blinded by security and prosperity given to them think.

I have no idea what that means so I am giving it a pass

This exactly my point.
America is great country which makes majority of the Americans so safe, comfortable, and prosperous that some of them start thinking that this is how the world is made to be.
No. This is how the America was shaped to be by its people.
They were brutal, unethical, and inhuman at times but they build this country.
And our responsibility is to carry on with what they build if we want continue to be safe, comfortable, and prosperous.
Even of we will need to be brutal, unethical, and inhuman at times our-self.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
9/19/2017  1:24 AM
briggs...i owe you big time for helping me out back in the day. but it's tough for me to not say something, especially bc its so shocking.
newyorknewyork
9/19/2017  1:53 AM

BLM crashed the a pro trump rally called mother of all rallies. Was handed the mic, and given the platform to be heard. In an effort to gain understanding from each others perspective.

That was pretty dope, that they were offered the platform to speak.

newyorknewyork
9/19/2017  2:04 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/19/2017  2:04 AM
a Better video

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisPolitics/videos/1709195305778619/

BRIGGS
9/19/2017  3:37 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:

BLM crashed the a pro trump rally called mother of all rallies. Was handed the mic, and given the platform to be heard. In an effort to gain understanding from each others perspective.

That was pretty dope, that they were offered the platform to speak.

For the most part that was pretty awesome man.

RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/19/2017  6:18 AM
Knickoftime wrote:

You mean how many performed their job? I would hope every single time such an opportunity presented itself.

You want to give credit to police officers for performing their job description and not intentionally letting a black person die?

The 258 deaths don't matter since police saved other black people's lives! Imagine in medicine if a doctor could get away with fatal malpractice just because he saved someone with a heart attack earlier in the day!
arkrud
Member: #995
USA
9/19/2017  8:13 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

The 258 deaths don't matter since police saved other black people's lives! Imagine in medicine if a doctor could get away with fatal malpractice just because he saved someone with a heart attack earlier in the day!

That's why doctor has malpractice insurance.
Otherwise he will stop working and all patients will die or leave naturally without doctors help.
So police should stop patrolling this troubled neighborhoods and let people die or leave based on gang or tribe affiliation.
In other worlds back to jungle.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Topic LOCKED
OT: Standing for the National Anthem

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy