[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Standing for the National Anthem
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
9/18/2017  2:15 PM
briggs - where did your "cops are afraid of AA's" come from?

i know 3 cops. two of them are vets. grew up with them on the same block. stickball, wiffleball, spud, etc. all hours of the day from ages 8-22.

they cut class all the time in high school. had no interest in education. took the GED instead of getting a high school diploma.

they joined the army purely b/c they had no other option or easy road to $$$ or success. they didn't want to be drug dealers or turn to a life of crime. it had nothing to do with country pride - simply a way for them to make some money and maybe get a better education for life after the military since school was not a realistic option for them.

they came out of the army and went to the police academy.

they are not white or black. one got stationed in washington heights after he graduated. another one in the south bronx.

neither of them were "scared of AA's" and neither of them joined the military b/c of nationalistic pride.

if i extrapolated opinions like you based on a few people i know, then i would say the military is filled with people that are using the country to get ahead just like they are exploiting the uneducated to fight their wars - has ZILCH to do with representing the country.

i would also conclude that cops are not afraid of anyone.

or as you would say "85% of all military personnel don't give a sh t about the country and 85% of cops are not racist".

do you see how silly making a statement like that sounds?

AUTOADVERT
Knickoftime
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3370

9/18/2017  2:18 PM
djsunyc wrote:do you see how silly making a statement like that sounds?

75% of us do.

Ahem.

smackeddog
Member: #883
9/18/2017  2:45 PM
anrst wrote:Athletes need to stick to sports.

Standing for the anthem -- just like sitting for anthem -- is not sticking to sports.

Athletes should stay in their lane.

Stay in the locker room and/or clubhouse while the anthem is playing.

Politics, people's lives, injustice etc are more important than sports. Plus athletes are people as are their families and friends - they are directly effected by what's going on, why on earth should they not become involved?

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/18/2017  2:47 PM
anrst wrote:
martin wrote:

Standing for the anthem -- just like sitting for anthem -- is not sticking to sports.

why?

i think yall missed my sarcasm.

i was being ridiculous on purpose. making the point that if you think athlete is outta his lane sitting, than you should also have a problem with one of them standing.

Good one. I didn't get it at first.
smackeddog
9/18/2017  2:48 PM
anrst wrote:
martin wrote:

why?

i think yall missed my sarcasm.

i was being ridiculous on purpose. making the point that if you think athlete is outta his lane sitting, than you should also have a problem with one of them standing.

Ha! There have been so many daft views on this thread it's gard to tell when someone's serious. And someone's joking!
smackeddog
9/18/2017  2:54 PM
djsunyc wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:But the excuse that black people are oppressed in 2017 is about a big of farce as you can get. You are free to go and do whatever you want in this country. Inner city AA need to have better parenting take responsibility and move away from their culture of violence and crime.

And this is the crux of BRIGGS ignorance - because he's never experienced racism against black people first hand, he assumes it must not exist and that his experience of never having encountered it is more trustworthy than those who are black and have encountered it. He doesn't seem to realize that a) why would he experience it when he's white and b) how exactly does he know better when by his very ethnicity means he is less likely to experience it first hand? It's like me saying antisemitism doesn't exist because I've never experienced it first hand when I'm not even Jewish!

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/18/2017  4:02 PM
https://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/antifascists-used-twitter-to-find-a-neo-nazi-walking-around?utm_term=.ytaan8Y0j#.tjjOElGzp

The user wrote that the photo was submitted to them by a third party. @bigotbasher wrote in their tweet that the man in the armband was harassing a black man on the bus.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
9/18/2017  4:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/18/2017  4:11 PM
djsunyc wrote:briggs - where did your "cops are afraid of AA's" come from?

i know 3 cops. two of them are vets. grew up with them on the same block. stickball, wiffleball, spud, etc. all hours of the day from ages 8-22.

they cut class all the time in high school. had no interest in education. took the GED instead of getting a high school diploma.

they joined the army purely b/c they had no other option or easy road to $$$ or success. they didn't want to be drug dealers or turn to a life of crime. it had nothing to do with country pride - simply a way for them to make some money and maybe get a better education for life after the military since school was not a realistic option for them.

they are not white or black. one got stationed in washington heights after he graduated. another one in the south bronx.

neither of them were "scared of AA's" and neither of them joined the military b/c of nationalistic pride.

if i extrapolated opinions like you based on a few people i know, then i would say the military is filled with people that are using the country to get ahead just like they are exploiting the uneducated to fight their wars - has ZILCH to do with representing the country.

or as you would say "85% of all military personnel don't give a sh t about the country and 85% of cops are not racist".

Its stupid even to debate this. The majority white people--Asians Europeans are scared of the inner cities--period. No discussion --everyone knows it. You want to BS--thats fine. I never said white people are scared of black people--that is Knickstime taking my words and changing them again. I said inner city AA. White people are NOT safe in the inner city projects--no way--no how. Its just truth and it really needs no discussion. How to fix this issue--it will take a LONG period of time but it has to come from all parties.

What was talked about here was the respect of standing for the National Anthem---not saying everyone has to--but its grossly disrespectful not to.

I dont think the athletes are getting anywhere with protesting it other than more divisiveness--you need common sense solutions to the problem

Like I mentioned
common sense ideas

A. Moving police away from interaction with civilians especially in motor vehicles. Other than suspected drunken driving or reckless driving have a model that is more related to passing a toll booth without paying) with warnings and fines sent to an individuals home instead of being pulled over.

B. Make it mandatory to have body cameras on police and cruisers to be on at all times and make it a fire-able offense if they are off.

C. Make sure that police have mandatory meetings and counseling on anger management

D. If police are forced to use a revolver--start teaching them to shoot at legs instead of deadlier areas of the body

You get the picture. Protesting the National Anthem does nothing. Coming up with smarter common sense solutions that move police away from some interaction with civilians keeping their anger in check keeping them accountable with around the clock cameras providing police with counseling are just some.

If you have to shoot to stop someone--shoot them in the legs first

http://bronx.news12.com/story/34803272/police-21-year-old-woman-shot-in-leg-at-university-ave-west-kingsbridge-rd

Again nearly 1100 people were shot in 2015 only 258 were AA. This is NOT an exclusive AA problem. Just today a young white woman was killed by police--but it will get very little play.

I do not believe cops go out and say Im going to kill a back person today--nor do I believe that black people are preyed upon by police. Nothing backs this up. How many black people are saved by police each year?

RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/18/2017  4:17 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
djsunyc wrote:briggs - where did your "cops are afraid of AA's" come from?

Its stupid even to debate this. The majority white people--Asians Europeans are scared of the inner cities--period. No discussion --everyone knows it. You want to BS--thats fine. I never said white people are scared of black people--that is Knickstime taking my words and changing them again. I said inner city AA. White people are NOT safe in the inner city projects--no way--no how. Its just truth and it really needs no discussion. How to fix this issue--it will take a LONG period of time but it has to come from all parties.

What was talked about here was the respect of standing for the National Anthem---not saying everyone has to--but its grossly disrespectful not to.

I dont think the athletes are getting anywhere with protesting it other than more divisiveness--you need common sense solutions to the problem

Like I mentioned
common sense ideas

A. Moving police away from interaction with civilians especially in motor vehicles. Other than suspected drunken driving or reckless driving have a model that is more related to passing a toll booth without paying) with warnings and fines sent to an individuals home instead of being pulled over.

B. Make it mandatory to have body cameras on police and cruisers to be on at all times and make it a fire-able offense if they are off.

C. Make sure that police have mandatory meetings and counseling on anger management

D. If police are forced to use a revolver--start teaching them to shoot at legs instead of deadlier areas of the body

You get the picture. Protesting the National Anthem does nothing. Coming up with smarter common sense solutions that move police away from some interaction with civilians keeping their anger in check keeping them accountable with around the clock cameras providing police with counseling are just some.

If you have to shoot to stop someone--shoot them in the legs first

http://bronx.news12.com/story/34803272/police-21-year-old-woman-shot-in-leg-at-university-ave-west-kingsbridge-rd

Again nearly 1100 people were shot in 2015 only 258 were AA. This is NOT an exclusive AA problem. Just today a young white woman was killed by police--but it will get very little play.

I do not believe cops go out and say Im going to kill a back person today--nor do I believe that black people are preyed upon by police. Nothing backs this up. How many black people are saved by police each year?

Malpractice is a serious problem in any field where people's lives are on the line. It doesn't decrease the importance of malpractice if the majority of the professionals do a good job the majority of the time.
Knickoftime

9/18/2017  4:25 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Its stupid even to debate this. The majority white people--Asians Europeans are scared of the inner cities--period. No discussion --everyone knows it. You want to BS--thats fine. I never said white people are scared of black people--that is Knickstime taking my words and changing them again. I said inner city AA.

BRIGGS wrote:Yes Knicks--I think AA need to curb propensity towards violence as a whole-

BRIGGS wrote:AA for the most part have great hatred towards whites? and on the other hand white people along with Asian and European are fearful of AA.

You want to try again?

BRIGGS
9/18/2017  4:40 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Its stupid even to debate this. The majority white people--Asians Europeans are scared of the inner cities--period. No discussion --everyone knows it. You want to BS--thats fine. I never said white people are scared of black people--that is Knickstime taking my words and changing them again. I said inner city AA.

BRIGGS wrote:Yes Knicks--I think AA need to curb propensity towards violence as a whole-

BRIGGS wrote:AA for the most part have great hatred towards whites? and on the other hand white people along with Asian and European are fearful of AA.

You want to try again?

If you read context Im stating inner city AA. Thats what I meant the whole time and you know that--no need to BS. Honestly the issue of black on black crime is much more problematic of an issue than what anyone is protesting the National Anthem for.

RIP Crushalot😞
Welpee
Member: #6239

9/18/2017  4:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/18/2017  4:51 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

You want to try again?

If you read context Im stating inner city AA. Thats what I meant the whole time and you know that--no need to BS. Honestly the issue of black on black crime is much more problematic of an issue than what anyone is protesting the National Anthem for.

Yes Knicks--I think AA need to curb propensity towards violence as a whole-
Tell me how the context of that statement is referencing "inner city" AA?

It's funny how people like Briggs are quick to yell "fake news" regarding Trump, but believe everything negative they hear about minorities and will not even consider the possibility of bias or slanted reporting.

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
9/18/2017  5:03 PM
who is the BRIGGS guy?
Knickoftime

9/18/2017  5:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/18/2017  5:43 PM
Welpee wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

You want to try again?

Yes Knicks--I think AA need to curb propensity towards violence as a whole-
Tell me how the context of that statement is referencing "inner city" AA?

It's funny how people like Briggs are quick to yell "fake news" regarding Trump, but believe everything negative they hear about minorities and will not even consider the possibility of bias or slanted reporting.

The full exchange in context, is actually worse, if you can believe that...

Me: So there isn't any racism. The big problem is black people are complainers, hateful, violent and scary, and they're on their own to "fix" it.

Got it.

Yes Knicks--I think AA need to curb propensity towards violence as a whole--its embedded on TV every single night. You want straight talk and discourse or just complain ? You want problem to start getting solved--then you have to hear from both sides. You think you are dead right that Im a racist and so is every white guy right? AA for the most part have great hatred towards whites? and on the other hand white people along with Asian and European are fearful of AA. So we need to do something about that--we need change. Again you just have a self righteous view. You are seeing one side. If AA feels slighted form racism today--can you explain how that is today? How exactly did racism effect your life? A white guy do something to you? A Chinese guy do something bad to you? Dont tell me about 19060 tell me about 2017. I see AA President and every other position. A great deal of fairness exist. People from 1960 must laugh at people today talking about racism--they experienced it--you dont.

And not only that, he's not only concluded I'm not white (which I am), he's concluded I'm Steve Mills.

No, really.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
9/18/2017  5:31 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/21/what-cop-tshirts-tell-us-_n_3479017.html

Must be the fear.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
9/18/2017  5:34 PM
Another angle not discussed.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/do-police-write-tickets-to-make-money.htm

Traffic ticket quotas — a practice in which police officers are either pressured or strictly required to issue a certain number of traffic tickets in a certain time frame — were once kept under wraps but are now pretty much out in the open. Some police departments deny that they have ever engaged in the practice, while others staunchly defend it. But why? Why increase the public's distrust of the police? Why insist that police officers spend time making traffic stops for weak accusations of minor offenses, which often need to be defended in court? Couldn't all that time and effort and manpower be better spent actually protecting and serving?

Unfortunately, the response is a common one: it all comes down to money. Plenty of police departments around the United States are facing higher expenses and smaller budgets, and have come to see traffic tickets as a way to increase revenue. Need more money to buy equipment or give raises or pay pensions? Write more tickets and collect more fines.

BRIGGS
9/18/2017  6:04 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:Another angle not discussed.

Traffic ticket quotas — a practice in which police officers are either pressured or strictly required to issue a certain number of traffic tickets in a certain time frame — were once kept under wraps but are now pretty much out in the open. Some police departments deny that they have ever engaged in the practice, while others staunchly defend it. But why? Why increase the public's distrust of the police? Why insist that police officers spend time making traffic stops for weak accusations of minor offenses, which often need to be defended in court? Couldn't all that time and effort and manpower be better spent actually protecting and serving?

Unfortunately, the response is a common one: it all comes down to money. Plenty of police departments around the United States are facing higher expenses and smaller budgets, and have come to see traffic tickets as a way to increase revenue. Need more money to buy equipment or give raises or pay pensions? Write more tickets and collect more fines.

Look back--I already did. No way that there should be quotas.

RIP Crushalot😞
blkexec
Member: #748
9/18/2017  6:16 PM
By the way Briggs......Since u obviously been sheltered your entire life . .......non AAs living in and from the hood.......are the most feared individuals u would ever see.

Saying that AAs in the hood is who we should fear.........only highlights your past experiences.

So ur saying people who live in the hood.....Only AAs.....eventhough there's a large number of Non AAs.....are the scariest individuals to u. Well a racist cop with a badge and a licence to kill is way more scarier. A well dressed non AA walking in a large crowded area with a brief case scares me.

oh.....what about the pilots who flew those planes into the world trade center......i guess u feel safer around them.

One thing I will say about trump......Hes giving all the bigots and racist a voice. And waking up the streets at the same time.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
newyorknewyork
9/18/2017  6:19 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Another angle not discussed.

Look back--I already did. No way that there should be quotas.

There is to much money to be made. All you have to do is target the poor and defensless. The others will just blame it on the culture.

BRIGGS
9/18/2017  6:29 PM
blkexec wrote:By the way Briggs......Since u obviously been sheltered your entire life . .......non AAs living in and from the hood.......are the most feared individuals u would ever see.

Saying that AAs in the hood is who we should fear.........only highlights your past experiences.

So ur saying people who live in the hood.....Only AAs.....eventhough there's a large number of Non AAs.....are the scariest individuals to u. Well a racist cop with a badge and a licence to kill is way more scarier. A well dressed non AA walking in a large crowded area with a brief case scares me.

oh.....what about the pilots who flew those planes into the world trade center......i guess u feel safer around them.

One thing I will say about trump......Hes giving all the bigots and racist a voice. And waking up the streets at the same time.

258 of the total of 1094 killed Americans by police were AA in 2015--tell me how many black lives were saved by police? If you want to protest police than have the whole picture painted. Thats 258 of 24MM people. I think there are some good common sense options to help diminish this problem but this is NOT an exclusive AA problem???
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/georgia-tech-police-shooting-scott-shultz-knife/

RIP Crushalot😞
OT: Standing for the National Anthem

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy