[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Standing for the National Anthem
Author Thread
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

9/17/2017  3:00 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:Bottom line is that if you are living in this country you stand up and show respect to the country when the anthem is playing.

Or?

You'll get an unhappy emoticon from him. I wouldn't risk it if I were you...

AUTOADVERT
StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

9/17/2017  3:02 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:Bottom line is that if you are living in this country you stand up and show respect to the country when the anthem is playing.

Or?

im sorry is standing for the anthem such a hassle or too degrading for you? Its literally a minute or two of your time
smackeddog
Member: #883
9/17/2017  3:03 PM

You realize the country isn't a person don't you? It's not sentient, it can't actually perceive respect

StarksEwing1

9/17/2017  3:05 PM
smackeddog wrote:

You realize the country isn't a person don't you? It's not sentient, it can't actually perceive respect

yes i know that. This is why threads like this shouldnt be here. We should just talk knicks
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

9/17/2017  3:14 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/17/2017  3:24 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Or?

im sorry is standing for the anthem such a hassle or too degrading for you? Its literally a minute or two of your time

You just moved the goalposts. This is about a handful people bending their knee at a 90° angle to bring attention to an issue and attention a handful people bending their knee at a 90° angle has received.

What's really at issue is seemingly some people literally can't understand how you can respect servicemen and servicewomen by looking them in the eye and thanking them for the service and/or contribute to funds that help servicemen and women in need and genuinely mean it, while at the same time bending your knee at a 90° angle during the national anthem.

Not understanding how those things can coexist is really the theme of the thread.

StarksEwing1

9/17/2017  3:23 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Or?

You just moved the goalposts. This is about a handful people bending their knee at a 90° angle to bring attention to an issue and attention a handful people bending their knee at a 90° angle has received.

What's really at issue is seemingly some people literally can't understand how you can respect servicemen and servicewomen by looking them in the eye and thanking them for the service and/or contribute to funds that help servicemen and women in need and genuinely mean it, while at the same time bending your knee at a 90° angle during the national anthem.

Not understanding how those things can existence is really the theme of the thread.

i dont think you are wrong HOWEVER i just dont see the purpose of not standing while 95 percent of people are...it seems disrespectful to me at least. Like i said i dont want to get into argument. Its Sunday im trying to enjoy my one day off
Knickoftime

9/17/2017  3:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/17/2017  3:31 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Or?

Not understanding how those things can existence is really the theme of the thread.

i dont think you are wrong HOWEVER i just dont see the purpose of not standing while 95 percent of people are...it seems disrespectful to me at least. Like i said i dont want to get into argument. Its Sunday im trying to enjoy my one day off

Is to draw attention to the disrespect players feel a certain community receives from law enforcement and then afterwords the judicial system.

In the 1960s, people who protested had dogs and fire hoses turned on them. The idea isn't to get everyone to say "oh I get it now, good job" in response to protest. History shows us some people will always resent the protests and the protesters.

History also shows us those people are almost always on the wrong side history.

StarksEwing1

9/17/2017  3:36 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Or?

Is to draw attention to the disrespect players feel a certain community receives from law enforcement and then afterwords the judicial system.

In the 1960s, people who protested had dogs and fire hoses turned on them. The idea isn't to get everyone to say "oh I get it now, good job" in response to protest. History shows us some people will always resent the protests and the protesters.

i still believe in what i said. If you think im a bad person because of that i cant stop you i guess. Ive always believed in equality for everyone and that wont change
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/17/2017  3:46 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/17/2017  3:46 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
Uptown wrote:Reading Briggs ignorant posts, cant help but think of this guy....SMH

Archie Bunker was at least endearing in his own way...

What I loved about that show was that it skewered both the left and the right. It took no prisoners. Really dont see much of that anymore. I remember when Archie went on local TV to advocate handing out guns to airline passengers to prevent terrorism, which got a big laugh. Not so long ago, the GOP tried to make it a law. Strange days.

Knickoftime

9/17/2017  3:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/17/2017  3:54 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Or?

i still believe in what i said. If you think im a bad person because of that i cant stop you i guess. Ive always believed in equality for everyone and that wont change

I don't have a clue if you're good or bad person, or am inclined to speculate. I assume people are good. I also have no reason to doubt your sincerity about equality.

But why this is happening its pretty straightforward. Having to explain what a protest is is a little odd.

NardDogNation

9/17/2017  3:53 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Or?

If you truly believed in equality, then you'd be as outraged as others are about people being unjustly executed and then receiving no justice from the crime. Bending a knee during a song that sponsored/endorsed this culture would seem mild by comparison.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/17/2017  3:56 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Or?

EXCELLENT POST! I don't think people factor in the historical perspective and the fact that with time it becomes clearer just how protests of this kind are viewed to be in the right.

Public sentiment was not with Martin Luther King or Muhammed Ali originally. Now their protests are viewed much differently.

NardDogNation

9/17/2017  4:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/17/2017  4:32 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Uptown wrote:Reading Briggs ignorant posts, cant help but think of this guy....SMH

What I loved about that show was that it skewered both the left and the right. It took no prisoners. Really dont see much of that anymore. I remember when Archie went on local TV to advocate handing out guns to airline passengers to prevent terrorism, which got a big laugh. Not so long ago, the GOP tried to make it a law. Strange days.

I was a kid, watching re-runs of the show during the 90s (with my grandmother), so I can't pretend that I could fully appreciate the show and everything that was going on in it. But even through the lens of a child that views everything as a dichotomy, I never got the impression that Archie was a "bad guy": I just thought he was mean and said "bad things" but was more funny than anything else. I even had a little stint calling other kids/cousins "meathead" before that got shutdown.

But I will say this, I hate this PC culture we live in where anything can offend and anything that does offend must be fully censored. Context and intent seem to seldom be weighed anymore and I think we are becoming the worser for it. I think opinions/positions should have a forum to be voiced and then assessed based on their merits.

Just to transition a bit, I think passengers having guns on an airplane is a stupid ****ing idea but what bothers more is the culture that breeds that sort of thinking. No matter how much evidence there is demonstrating it is a stupid idea, people will still advocate for it without credible reasoning. And the spirit of that attitude gets applied to an entire platform that sponsors a host of policy/positions of more stupid ideas.

P.S., how hss the fallout been for the fam in Houston/Texas?

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

9/17/2017  4:50 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:yes i know that. This is why threads like this shouldnt be here. We should just talk knicks

There was a point a few weeks ago where the top 4-5 posts on this section of the board were all non NBA discussion. Don't get me wrong, I get legit NBA discussion segue ways into other life topics, but it would probably be easier if there was one pinned catch all "Politics/Current Events/Rant/Vent/Brag" thread so everyone who wants to talk about burning flags or overpriced veterinarians or the best onion dip recipes can all go there.

One of the base problems is there is not enough legit 24/7 basketball news to cover a year. ESPN certainly tries, which is why you get the Westbrook Hates Durant fabricated feud and crap like that. To encourage the lowest common denominator section of the sports fanbase, those who are poorly educated and poorly socialized, to spend 70 percent of their income on new kicks and get them by storming malls and mauling other random people for basically sport and giggles.

If all the regular posters here were stuck on a desert island, aka the show Lost, people here would start killing each other in about 18 hours. Technically, the generally accepted principle is "10 Meals" I.E. after the people around you miss their 10th meal in a row, and no more hot showers and any kind of authority, people snap and start stabbing each other. I would literally just hide in a tree and watch nixluva hold up a conch and scream "It's my turn to talk!" while jrodmc and Hofstra try to justify later, after killing him with a giant boulder, that it was really everyone elses fault. The plane that crashed should have been full of useful people with survival skills and leaders, they didn't get enough "help" with the level of talent put around them to stop them from being murderers. Also why should they get any coconuts and firewood for the group, it's not their fault that that's just their "game" and that they shouldn't be expected to change that for anyone else. And when the entire collective gets overrun by pirates and savages, why help out on "team defense"? That's not "their game"

See, if you can justify Melo not giving max effort, you can literally justify anything. Well, if you rationalize behavior like a jilted woman would.

Ingredients:

4 jalapenos, halved
2 cups loosely packed cilantro, stems removed
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cloves garlic
Juice of 1 lime
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Combine jalapenos, cilantro, sour cream, garlic, lime juice and salt in the bowl of a food processor. With the motor running, add olive oil and vinegar in a slow stream until emulsified.

* 1/2 cup buttermilk

* 1/4th cup sour cream

* 1/8th cup low-fat mayo

* 1 garlic clove

* pinch of cayenne

* 2 fresh thyme sprigs

* 1 tsp dill weed

* pinch of coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Whisk all of the above in a medium bowl and voila, happiness! I mean ranch.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add the onions and 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt. Cook and stir until the onions are caramelized to a nice golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove the onions from the heat and cool.
Mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, white pepper, and remaining kosher salt. Stir in the onions when they are cool. Cover and refrigerate the dip for at least 2 hours before serving.

Homemade Sour Cream Chip Dip Recipe
Servings 2 cups
Ingredients

16 ounces sour cream
2 tablespoons dried minced onion
1 tablespoon dried dill weed
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Instructions

In a bowl, combine all ingredients until well blended. Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour, but preferably 2 hours or more. Serve with potato chips or cut veggies. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5-7 days.

One of the most interesting things that will never happen is breaking down the actual NBA CBA into very small chunks, week by week here, and analyzing it as a group to see if there are any loopholes, strategies or market inefficiencies that the Knicks could exploit to help themselves in the future.

But why be progressive? There's onion dip to worry about instead.

See Hofstra and jrodmc, if you are going to be so transparent and just openly troll for Carmelo Anthony like you are some excuse making battered wife ( "I made him DO IT! I made it!" ) , at least be entertaining. But why expect that much from dudes who wear their jerseys backwards ( because clearly the mother f**king name on the back of the jersey means more than the team name on the front)

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
9/17/2017  5:08 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:yes i know that. This is why threads like this shouldnt be here. We should just talk knicks

There was a point a few weeks ago where the top 4-5 posts on this section of the board were all non NBA discussion. Don't get me wrong, I get legit NBA discussion segue ways into other life topics, but it would probably be easier if there was one pinned catch all "Politics/Current Events/Rant/Vent/Brag" thread so everyone who wants to talk about burning flags or overpriced veterinarians or the best onion dip recipes can all go there.

One of the base problems is there is not enough legit 24/7 basketball news to cover a year. ESPN certainly tries, which is why you get the Westbrook Hates Durant fabricated feud and crap like that. To encourage the lowest common denominator section of the sports fanbase, those who are poorly educated and poorly socialized, to spend 70 percent of their income on new kicks and get them by storming malls and mauling other random people for basically sport and giggles.

If all the regular posters here were stuck on a desert island, aka the show Lost, people here would start killing each other in about 18 hours. Technically, the generally accepted principle is "10 Meals" I.E. after the people around you miss their 10th meal in a row, and no more hot showers and any kind of authority, people snap and start stabbing each other. I would literally just hide in a tree and watch nixluva hold up a conch and scream "It's my turn to talk!" while jrodmc and Hofstra try to justify later, after killing him with a giant boulder, that it was really everyone elses fault. The plane that crashed should have been full of useful people with survival skills and leaders, they didn't get enough "help" with the level of talent put around them to stop them from being murderers. Also why should they get any coconuts and firewood for the group, it's not their fault that that's just their "game" and that they shouldn't be expected to change that for anyone else. And when the entire collective gets overrun by pirates and savages, why help out on "team defense"? That's not "their game"

See, if you can justify Melo not giving max effort, you can literally justify anything. Well, if you rationalize behavior like a jilted woman would.

Ingredients:

4 jalapenos, halved
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cloves garlic
Juice of 1 lime
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup olive oil

Combine jalapenos, cilantro, sour cream, garlic, lime juice and salt in the bowl of a food processor. With the motor running, add olive oil and vinegar in a slow stream until emulsified.

* 1/2 cup buttermilk

* 1/4th cup sour cream

* 1/8th cup low-fat mayo

* 1 garlic clove

* pinch of cayenne

* 2 fresh thyme sprigs

* 1 tsp dill weed

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add the onions and 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt. Cook and stir until the onions are caramelized to a nice golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove the onions from the heat and cool.
Mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, white pepper, and remaining kosher salt. Stir in the onions when they are cool. Cover and refrigerate the dip for at least 2 hours before serving.

Servings 2 cups
Ingredients

16 ounces sour cream
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Instructions

In a bowl, combine all ingredients until well blended. Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour, but preferably 2 hours or more. Serve with potato chips or cut veggies. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5-7 days.

One of the most interesting things that will never happen is breaking down the actual NBA CBA into very small chunks, week by week here, and analyzing it as a group to see if there are any loopholes, strategies or market inefficiencies that the Knicks could exploit to help themselves in the future.

See Hofstra and jrodmc, if you are going to be so transparent and just openly troll for Carmelo Anthony like you are some excuse making battered wife ( "I made him DO IT! I made it!" ) , at least be entertaining. But why expect that much from dudes who wear their jerseys backwards ( because clearly the mother f**king name on the back of the jersey means more than the team name on the front)

Agree on the last... and who doesnt appreciate a good onion dip? Well done.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

9/17/2017  5:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/17/2017  5:15 PM
NardDogNation wrote:

Part of Archie Bunkers charm was the fact that he was clearly uneducated...Some of his ideas, were down right laughable because of his ignorance...But, when you get an educated man spewing the same ideas, its no longer laughable; its dangerous. Especially, when some of these educated men are in positions where their ideas can directly influence and or affect people...

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
9/17/2017  5:23 PM
BRIGGS wrote:To me the NAtional Anthem is a simple respect of all current and former service members of the military. Those people have tremendous courage and have given millions of lives over 250 years to keep the country safe from foreign opponents. Without them no one here would have a job or safety of a home. It is not a platform to promote an agenda-- there are many other platforms for that. If you don't stand to give a simple thanks for those who have given their lives to provide a better one for you-- it's sad and wrong

BRIGGS stop. The national anthem has nothing to do with the military. "A national anthem is animportant aspect of a country's independent status and it is the umbrella under which the country can rally and be proud. ... Having said this, national anthems have truly only one purpose, to instill patriotism and nationalism in citizens during a time of need." Thus, when a player sits during the anthem, he is protesting against his view of the treatment the country condones. It has nothing to do with the military and you know it. That is just the argument mainly white people want to use to try to vilify the practice. You can sit for the national anthem and still respect the military. Indeed, the military fights for your right to do exactly that.

Trust the Process
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
9/17/2017  5:29 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
martin wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
martin wrote:
dacash wrote:why is this here and not kinda off topic

off-season. During season we'd definitely move this appropriately.

That said Martin, it's your choice to make, but my opinion to be expressed...

I loathe the participation trophy era of quote-unquote 'free speech.' We celebrate merely having an opinion, which pretty much anyone with a brainstem has, rather than productive expression of an opinion.

Having toxic, stupid **** on any discussion forum, particularly contributed by people who prove they can't even participate in a discussion, makes it worse, not better, and makes us worse, not better.

That doesn't help me. What to do?

The first step in persuasion is to get that misinformed and under-educated out there.

I suspect If I ever referred to black people on this forum, here specifically or anywhere generally, with the N-word, what would happen.

Briggs has directly referred to black people generally as being hateful, violent and scary. He lately has qualified that as "inner city AAs." At the same time he posts YouTube videos of violent outbursts that didn't occur in "inner city." He has rejected our nation's history as a factor in crime and violence, suggesting anyone in this country regardless of circumstance has equal opportunity. He may not have the courage to put those thoughts together, but the implication is clear.

We are now holding a discourse in a thread that has nothing to do with "inner city AAs", but his problems with black people of an entirely different demo.

Who he is is clear, by his own words.

As an American, I fully support his right to go about his life without fear of reprisal, imprisonment or taxation over his views from any government agency, which is the extent of his First Amendment rights. And independent of the views he holds, he doesn't even attempt to engage in discussion, so he would not be welcome in my home. If I were president of the club he would not be welcome as a member, if I an employer he would not be welcome as an employee.

As I say, I don't know how the sum total of his thoughts and words is any less offensive to the one thing that would get any of us removed from the premises.

Sorry Knickstime--Id say roughly 75% of non AA feel the same way--and the majority of police. And the other 25% well they can go hang out in their local inner city projects and see how they are treated if they spend a few hours there.

When you make up statistics out of thin air, you show yourself incapable of having an intelligent conversation.

But the excuse that black people are oppressed in 2017 is about a big of farce as you can get. You are free to go and do whatever you want in this country. Inner city AA need to have better parenting take responsibility and move away from their culture of violence and crime.

Okay, here is where you need to be brave. Explain why succinctly and honestly, since they have no excuse, "inner city AAs" are more violent and hateful than other people, aren't good parents, don't take responsibility, and don't move away from a culture of violence and crime?

The shouldn't be a difficult question answer, and there should be little to no hedging on your part.

answer what?

knicks time --- Colon K protests because of the perceived treatment of AA y police-- but answer why do you think police act the perceives way they do? It's ok to protest but exactly what is the solution? Why is the behavior of the police the way it is? And if you need to protest the police-- why choose a military anthem??? You won't answer my question-- Colin k protests because of perceived abuse against Aa by police-- why do the police act this way and how many cops are we talking about here-- also what's your solution to the problem -- I've given u my reasons but I'd bet a few bucks you'll be quiet now

RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
9/17/2017  5:56 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
martin wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
martin wrote:
dacash wrote:why is this here and not kinda off topic

off-season. During season we'd definitely move this appropriately.

That said Martin, it's your choice to make, but my opinion to be expressed...

I loathe the participation trophy era of quote-unquote 'free speech.' We celebrate merely having an opinion, which pretty much anyone with a brainstem has, rather than productive expression of an opinion.

Having toxic, stupid **** on any discussion forum, particularly contributed by people who prove they can't even participate in a discussion, makes it worse, not better, and makes us worse, not better.

That doesn't help me. What to do?

The first step in persuasion is to get that misinformed and under-educated out there.

I suspect If I ever referred to black people on this forum, here specifically or anywhere generally, with the N-word, what would happen.

Briggs has directly referred to black people generally as being hateful, violent and scary. He lately has qualified that as "inner city AAs." At the same time he posts YouTube videos of violent outbursts that didn't occur in "inner city." He has rejected our nation's history as a factor in crime and violence, suggesting anyone in this country regardless of circumstance has equal opportunity. He may not have the courage to put those thoughts together, but the implication is clear.

We are now holding a discourse in a thread that has nothing to do with "inner city AAs", but his problems with black people of an entirely different demo.

Who he is is clear, by his own words.

As an American, I fully support his right to go about his life without fear of reprisal, imprisonment or taxation over his views from any government agency, which is the extent of his First Amendment rights. And independent of the views he holds, he doesn't even attempt to engage in discussion, so he would not be welcome in my home. If I were president of the club he would not be welcome as a member, if I an employer he would not be welcome as an employee.

As I say, I don't know how the sum total of his thoughts and words is any less offensive to the one thing that would get any of us removed from the premises.

Sorry Knickstime--Id say roughly 75% of non AA feel the same way--and the majority of police. And the other 25% well they can go hang out in their local inner city projects and see how they are treated if they spend a few hours there.

When you make up statistics out of thin air, you show yourself incapable of having an intelligent conversation.

But the excuse that black people are oppressed in 2017 is about a big of farce as you can get. You are free to go and do whatever you want in this country. Inner city AA need to have better parenting take responsibility and move away from their culture of violence and crime.

Okay, here is where you need to be brave. Explain why succinctly and honestly, since they have no excuse, "inner city AAs" are more violent and hateful than other people, aren't good parents, don't take responsibility, and don't move away from a culture of violence and crime?

The shouldn't be a difficult question answer, and there should be little to no hedging on your part.

answer what?

knicks time --- Colon K protests because of the perceived treatment of AA y police-- but answer why do you think police act the perceives way they do? It's ok to protest but exactly what is the solution? Why is the behavior of the police the way it is? And if you need to protest the police-- why choose a military anthem??? You won't answer my question-- Colin k protests because of perceived abuse against Aa by police-- why do the police act this way and how many cops are we talking about here-- also what's your solution to the problem -- I've given u my reasons but I'd bet a few bucks you'll be quiet now

Good stuff Briggs... first the poor treatment is "perceived" then you go back to your favorite rallying point that the unfair treatment is deserved in the first place. Time to post for more youtube videos of black people doing bad things.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/17/2017  6:39 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

Ingredients:

4 jalapenos, halved
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cloves garlic
Juice of 1 lime
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup olive oil

* 1/2 cup buttermilk

* 1/4th cup sour cream

* 1/8th cup low-fat mayo

* 1 garlic clove

* pinch of cayenne

* 2 fresh thyme sprigs

* 1 tsp dill weed

Servings 2 cups
Ingredients

16 ounces sour cream
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Instructions

DK?

OT: Standing for the National Anthem

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy