[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

USA vs. Argentina
Author Thread
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/27/2004  8:45 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:

Why is it I feel like someone is gonna end up blaming Emeka Okafor for these losses?

Damn,there goes my next thread
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/27/2004  9:39 PM
sorry, im not laying blame to any player--they were all inconsistent--even duncan--

if i had to evaluate what the biggets flaw was, there is no doubt in my mind it was our defensive scheme. for all this 'if you play the game right' stuff from L brown--how about "could you pick up full court practice getting over screens and using your depth wisely to make the game played baseline to baseline? We had the depth of athletes to slow any team down picking up full court every possession --we have to have had the samrts to figure out getting over the screens at the 3pt line.

the 3 pt shooting wasnt good, but i speculate that some aspects of the international game wasnt practiced. I saw so much emhasis on man cover and the few plays larry brown wanted run time after time.

Yes we needed a 2G who wasnt 6-1 or under and while Odom definitely was the second best player on the team--boozer shouldve started 4 and odom 3.

terrible terrible use of the younger players--never got them in any kind of playing rhytm. I thought James played very well when he was in there--when he got a chance and just wasnt used. Can you imagine having a pro team with amar carmello lebron and sitting them. we shouldve used 12 men in a full court game giving guys around 17-20 minutes PT max.
RIP Crushalot😞
flyingvee
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #405
8/27/2004  10:11 PM
Why is it I feel like someone is gonna end up blaming Emeka Okafor for these losses?

Yea, he didn't wave that towel correctly from the bench. He waved using NBA rules, not FIBA. LOL
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/27/2004  10:17 PM
Actually, unless he's having back problems, Okafor's presence in the middle on defense would have been very helpful while Duncan was in foul trouble. I hope we at least win the bronze
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/27/2004  11:39 PM
Definitely agree with Briggs that our depth was not utilized well. Especially Lebron. He was good for 25 mpg backing up the 1-3 spots.

Full court pressure was actually overused. Pepe and Manu beat the press for easy buckets.

Less gambling on defense, especially Iverson. Show strong on screen and rolls and committed rotation on defense.

Other than that, more dunks and 3-pointers would have helped.

[Edited by - codeunknown on 08/27/2004 23:40:29]
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
rojasmas
Member: #639
8/28/2004  1:09 AM
I don't think Larry Brown did a very good job either. He is supposed to be this genius, figure out a way to get your big guys shots. It's too simplistic to say he can't hit the open outside shots for the players against a zone. If he is such a great coach, and has the also revered Pop at his side as his top assistant, darn it, make some type of adjustments, not only offensively but defensively as well during the course of games. This was embarassing the whole way. Our All-Stars got their heads handed to them, and yes they were All-Stars. Maybe not first teamers but at least 3rd team All-Stars.
Lastly, Brown didn't utilize Carmelo or Lebron that well. Not too mention he didn't give Okefor a sniff. Larry seemed a little overwhelmed for a guy who is supposed to have seen it all and know it all.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/28/2004  1:52 AM
Yeah, with a team with as much all-around talent as this, you might put some of the blame on the coaching staff. I think they may have been better off choosing one of the young defense-first coaches (Carlisle or Jeff Van Gundy) to shape up a winning team in a short time.

In addition, I wonder if Larry Brown's relationship w/ Iverson resulted in his overall big minutes. Yeah, he knows what it's like playing under Brown, but at the same time... maybe Brown's system wasn't ideally suited for the talent on this team.

Just like with the NBA season, having a talent like Iverson can be a curse. You're playing a 6' SG. The Sixers have managed to do it over the years because of the excellent defensive ability of Eric Snow, esp. his ability to guard bigger opponents.

While his speed causes mismatches on the offensive end, his presence on defense causes mismatches the other way. They kept talking about Marbury/Wade getting killed by Ginobili--- well, we were outsized in the backcourt, plain and simple. Maybe the size of a Carmelo, Lebron, or Jefferson at SG could have changed the dynamics of the team. The length of these guys should have at least put more defensive pressure on shooters.

These are of course all coach's decisions.

As Doug Collins reported during the game, this is a bad loss for the Americans, but a victory for the rest of the world. What kind of competition is it if the same team always wins?

I think team USA should be ecstatic about winning the bronze, should they manage that. It's a 1-and-done tournament... and in one game, anything can happen.

IMHO NBA playoff series are a little too long--- barring the impact of injuries, the length (and time for adjustments) makes upsets even more improbable.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
gunsnewing
Member: #215
USA
8/28/2004  3:18 AM
can you imagine if the starting lineup consisted of:

C-Shaq
PF-Duncan
SF-Garnett
SG-Mcgrady
PG-Kidd

6th man: Iverson

they would blow everyone out by 30!!!!!!!!
gunsnewing
Member: #215
USA
8/28/2004  3:19 AM
with this team they were better off with a run and gun coach.

Anyone come to mind?

Don Nelson? Rick Adelman?
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
8/28/2004  9:31 AM
It goes both ways; it was coached poorly and was played poorly. Why RJ got so many minutes is a mystery; even the Nets fans were complaining about it. For those who consider RJ a top 5 forward, I think you have to face reality a little bit. He's never even been an all-star; he puts up good stats, mostly on athleticism. James, Carmelo and Okafor all should've gotten some of those minutes. Despite that, with the talent we had, we still should've been able to win. The guys didn't step up, which is disappointing.
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/28/2004  10:50 AM
Posted by Solace:

It goes both ways; it was coached poorly and was played poorly. Why RJ got so many minutes is a mystery; even the Nets fans were complaining about it. For those who consider RJ a top 5 forward, I think you have to face reality a little bit. He's never even been an all-star; he puts up good stats, mostly on athleticism. James, Carmelo and Okafor all should've gotten some of those minutes. Despite that, with the talent we had, we still should've been able to win. The guys didn't step up, which is disappointing.

This team had flaws from the selection committee to the 12th man, Okafor. When Wade and RJ were on the floor at once, I felt as if we were playing 3 on 5 .
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
USA vs. Argentina

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy