[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

USA vs. Argentina
Author Thread
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/27/2004  3:19 PM
crzy, I wasn't pinning anything on Marbury. Just disagreeing with those that think that Marbury was some kind of warrior and innocent bystander in this loss. He didn't play a great game just like the rest of Team USA. He had some costly turnovers that directly led to layups or threes by Argentina. He couldn't contain the Argentinian guards along with the other US guards. It's hardly all on him. They lost as a team.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
8/27/2004  3:23 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:

Boxscore is out.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/results/5053191/detail.html

Marb with 18 pts, 1 assist, 3 to.

You left out the 8-15 shooting, making him the only player to shoot over .500 on the USA (other than the underused Lebron). Listen, Steph averaged 24.5 ppg on 54% shooting the last two elimination games. He was the only one on the floor making anything happen. He passed the ball to guys and they would give it right back. This team was scared. Scared. Duncan and Odom were their only quality bigs with game enough for international play and they were riddled with foul trouble due to VERY sketchy reffing.

Bottom line, it's a loss for Steph too, but to make him the goat is just ridiculous. I refuse to let that happen.
¿ △ ?
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/27/2004  3:26 PM
Bottom line, it's a loss for Steph too, but to make him the goat is just ridiculous. I refuse to let that happen.

I think Isles is the only one making him seem like the goat...but even he went and said it wasn't just Marbs.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/27/2004  3:26 PM
Marbury wasnt bad he was terrible in the qualifying round. Once the medal round started he was easily the best player on the US. If its not for him we are playing for 7th place because he simply carried us against Spain.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/27/2004  3:29 PM
Every time Montecchia got free from downtown, it was because Marbury got picked off by a moving screen despite trying to fight through it. Some of those plays are not guardable under intrernational rules where mowing over the defender on a screen is legal. I was more upset by the gambling by Iverson which led to open 3s.

Marbury also had atleast 4 direct assists which weren't converted. Wade was wide open (the crowd was nearer to him than a defender) on 3 separate possessions and hesitated on the jumper or just lost the ball. James travelled on a fastbreak dunk spoon-fed by Marbury. Marbury wasn't great out there but he was significantly more effective than the rest of the motley crew that is the USA team.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
crzymdups
USA
8/27/2004  3:34 PM
Posted by islesfan:

crzy, I wasn't pinning anything on Marbury. Just disagreeing with those that think that Marbury was some kind of warrior and innocent bystander in this loss. He didn't play a great game just like the rest of Team USA. He had some costly turnovers that directly led to layups or threes by Argentina. He couldn't contain the Argentinian guards along with the other US guards. It's hardly all on him. They lost as a team.

That's fair.
¿ △ ?
MaTT4281
USA
8/27/2004  3:43 PM
I know this is off topic, but it's a good thing Big Ben didn't go to Athens...just saw he had an emergency appendectomy.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/27/2004  3:57 PM
Posted by fishmike:

well that sucked. I guess you cant just throw a bunch of NBA players together and expect to beat anyone. I would have thought after watching us finish 6th in the world championships 2 years ago we would have learned... guess not.

Until they realized they have to actually build a team and properly prepare we arent going to win these anymore.. not without the cream of the NBA crop.

There are two ways to go about this... either actually build a team or get commitments from the stars.

I agree, and we can legitimately gripe about the piss poor refs, the way they call walk on lebron yet don't call walk everytime argentina gets around the hoop and fakes 7 times and end up in a different position every time.... The way we get no foul calls whatsoever, those are legit gripes but we need a better put together team, steph played well I think but we needed a few guys, like Brent barry who can hit the 3, I wish instead of adding Okafor we could have added a college sniper like JJ Reddick.... could you imaging he and barry on the perimeter, they would have to double team those guys... this sucks and IMO does not mean that other countries are catching up, we just shrunk back to their level during these games...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
s3231
Member: #544
USA
8/27/2004  3:58 PM
Posted by islesfan:

I called him a warrior because he was the only one fighting in the end. Anyone who saw the game could see that Stephon was the only one making things happen down the stretch to try to put the game back within reach. Drive after drive he charged to the basket and scored no matter how hard he was hit or mauled. I'm not saying he played a great game at all, I thought his 3 turnovers were ridiculous because they were all dribbling errors. As for his defense, it wasn't his fault that the Argentinians were hitting threes on him, they were setting high screens on Stephon like crazy and no one on Team USA was coming up to contest the shots. USA just couldn't get it going today and it cost them.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/27/2004  4:13 PM
As I said earlier, expecting Stephon to contest a 3 pointer when Oberto is thrusting his pelvis into him and sidling him off the court is most unreasonable.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
8/27/2004  5:11 PM
No point getting worked up about this Olympics. If anything it lets the NBA know that it needs to work on the fundamentals of the game. I for one would love more international rules put into the NBA game. It will definitely help the NBA players for international competition. I happen to think that even had the main players selected gone to the games they would not win gold either. The foreign countries have caught up by using team work and higher skill level rather than matching the US team in athleticism. Maybe the NBA can start to learn these traits to go with athleticism.
mattinNH
Member: #695
8/27/2004  5:16 PM
Let's just hope for a medal at all. It will be tough. We're playing Lithuania tomorrow for the bronze and we remember how that went last time right?

Steph, you gotta bring it again. Stay aggressive!
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/27/2004  5:21 PM
Wasnt able to watch the game again but it doesnt sound like I missed much.I hope David Stern gets his share of the blame for this.He is as much to blame for a lack of fundementals in the NBA as any of the players.He gets credit for bringing back the NBA in the 80s but that was Magic and Bird,then Jordan.I wish there was a way to replace his sorry ass.
Kwazimodal
8/27/2004  5:37 PM
I also want to hear what carmelo anthony is going to say about his prediction of winning gold.This guy is supposed to be the future of the NBA.The kid will be nothing but a cancer for the Nuggets talented or not.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
8/27/2004  5:50 PM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

I also want to hear what carmelo anthony is going to say about his prediction of winning gold.This guy is supposed to be the future of the NBA.The kid will be nothing but a cancer for the Nuggets talented or not.
Give me that cancer any day
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Kwazimodal
8/27/2004  5:56 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

If he doesnt change his attitude he is going to continue alienating teamates and team chemistry will be in the crapper.If we learned anything from these olympics its that team chemistry in most cases trumps talent.
mintyfreshness33
Member: #586
USA
8/27/2004  6:38 PM
i feel bad for steph and isiah, Zeke wanted that gold and wanted to live it through steph. hopefully when 2008 rolls around we can send sweets or something.
crzymdups
USA
8/27/2004  6:49 PM
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

If he doesnt change his attitude he is going to continue alienating teamates and team chemistry will be in the crapper.If we learned anything from these olympics its that team chemistry in most cases trumps talent.

I don't think you can blame Melo. They brought a young superstar and wanted him to be a role player. The selection commitee deserves the biggest blame here. Anyone else notice there were no quality bigs behind Duncan and Odom (and since when is Odom a big?). Where were Brad Miller and KVH? Where was Michael Redd? Artest? Bowen? These people should have been there instead of Melo, Matrix, Amare and Emeka.

But you can't blame Melo. They brought him for all the wrong reasons. Also, call me crazy, but if you have the best post up small forward in the league (Melo), why noy post him up ONCE in 13 games???? AWFUL job by Larry Brown. AWFUL.
¿ △ ?
Kwazimodal
8/27/2004  8:26 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

I don't think you can blame Melo. They brought a young superstar and wanted him to be a role player. The selection commitee deserves the biggest blame here. Anyone else notice there were no quality bigs behind Duncan and Odom (and since when is Odom a big?). Where were Brad Miller and KVH? Where was Michael Redd? Artest? Bowen? These people should have been there instead of Melo, Matrix, Amare and Emeka.

But you can't blame Melo. They brought him for all the wrong reasons. Also, call me crazy, but if you have the best post up small forward in the league (Melo), why noy post him up ONCE in 13 games???? AWFUL job by Larry Brown. AWFUL.

I agree,its not all Melo's fault.He shares the blame with all 12 guys,the coaching staff and David Stern for using his influence in building this team.I just thought guaranteeing a win and whining about minutes when you are representing your country shows what kind of person he is.People change,I hope for his sake that he does.
MaTT4281
USA
8/27/2004  8:28 PM
Why is it I feel like someone is gonna end up blaming Emeka Okafor for these losses?
USA vs. Argentina

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy