[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

USA vs. Argentina
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/27/2004  2:32 PM
foul shots! We are doomed if we can't make them.

Doom looms anyway!
AUTOADVERT
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
8/27/2004  2:39 PM
Nice move by Steph but it might be too late
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/27/2004  2:48 PM
It's over. We're going to hear alot about LeBron-ze now.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/27/2004  2:48 PM
Oh well...no use moping about it now. Time to suck it up and work for Bronze.
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/27/2004  2:49 PM
I have the utmost respect for Larry Brown, but playing Wade over Marbury for periods in the second half was questionable at best. Marbury should have played the entire second half. Wade was pathetic out there. Disappointing...
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/27/2004  2:50 PM
what a joke. If this doesn't get the real NBA players to want to come play then I don't know what will.

I wish Marbury took over a little sooner.

Oh and by the way I really don't like Iverson. I always thought he was overrated and he just proved he is!
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
8/27/2004  2:50 PM
Steph really looked like a Warrior out there, he was fighting like hell to keep us in the game. Oh well, all great things always come to an end. Hopefully we will have better players out there in 2008.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
8/27/2004  2:52 PM
well that sucked. I guess you cant just throw a bunch of NBA players together and expect to beat anyone. I would have thought after watching us finish 6th in the world championships 2 years ago we would have learned... guess not.

Until they realized they have to actually build a team and properly prepare we arent going to win these anymore.. not without the cream of the NBA crop.

There are two ways to go about this... either actually build a team or get commitments from the stars.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
codeunknown
8/27/2004  2:54 PM
And another thing - Marbury may have committed some turnovers but he was the only one making anything happen out there. The only other player who was decently effective was Marion. The refs cheated Duncan and Iverson gambled on close to every play on defense. Lebron should have gotten all of RJ's minutes.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/27/2004  2:54 PM
the problem is the stars in the NBA thought that USA would be alright by sending this team over
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/27/2004  2:55 PM
If you think Marbury had a good game then you weren't watching it. He turned the ball over a lot and couldn't shoot until the last 3 minutes when there was no other choice than to take the ball to the hoop every time down the floor.

Every time he turned it over it seemed like the Argentinians scored at least 2 points. That's how they built their lead.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
MaTT4281
USA
8/27/2004  2:57 PM
You can't praise Marbs on his game tonight, but you can't dog him for it either. He played well, and unfortunately no one on this team could step up.
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
8/27/2004  2:59 PM
Posted by fishmike:

well that sucked. I guess you cant just throw a bunch of NBA players together and expect to beat anyone. I would have thought after watching us finish 6th in the world championships 2 years ago we would have learned... guess not.

Until they realized they have to actually build a team and properly prepare we arent going to win these anymore
I said earlier that even if this team wins the gold, the wrong lesson to take was that you could just put together an imbalanced roster and do fine. And you disagreed, saying that it was insulting to the players on the team.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/27/2004  2:59 PM
I just don't understand the game plan down the stretch. Execution by players was terrible.

Blame?

Stu Jackson, chair of the selection commitee. Hindsight is 20-20, but he picked the worst possible team to do this. Yes, if we had some of the "A" team it might have worked, but no role players really hurt. Great athletes with low B-ball IQ will not work.

Step really did not make good decisions down the stretch. Lost the ball a few times, and I thought should have been taking 3 pters rather than drive it down. Likely browns instructions. He made some nice athletic moves, but the basketball was not smart. Maybe thats it in a nutshell.

This sucks. Its not like it was in 1972 aganist the soviets. I was very young, but I watched that game and it played like a horror movie. Our college kids losing in Soul in 88' marked the end of the college era against soviet "Amateurs". This was like real stupid arrogant dumbpicking by our USA basketball

On the other hand, it was nice to see the joy on Argentina, especially Herrman whose life has been ripped apart.
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
8/27/2004  3:00 PM
Posted by islesfan:

If you think Marbury had a good game then you weren't watching it. He turned the ball over a lot and couldn't shoot until the last 3 minutes when there was no other choice than to take the ball to the hoop every time down the floor.

Every time he turned it over it seemed like the Argentinians scored at least 2 points. That's how they built their lead.
¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
8/27/2004  3:02 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:

You can't praise Marbs on his game tonight, but you can't dog him for it either. He played well, and unfortunately no one on this team could step up.
I wouldn't praise anyone; a loss is as loss. But Marbury has been the best player on the team in each of the last two games.

If you think Marbury had a good game then you weren't watching it. He turned the ball over a lot
Let's not kill a guy for committing 3 turnovers. Wade and Duncan had three too. I'm more disappointed that none of the guards (not Marbury, Wade, or Iverson) could contain the high pick and roll. I actually thought Lebron might have been better at defending that high pick and roll because he's so much taller and bigger and has longer arms.
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
8/27/2004  3:05 PM
Posted by islesfan:

He had three turnovers! The lead was bigger than six!

You absolutely CANNOT pin this on Marbury!

How about Larry Brown for sticking with Wade? Where the hell was Lebron? What were those fouls on Duncan? Where was the rebounding? Where was the team defense? How did that Fabio looking dude get open for soooo many threes? Is the international rule that Marbury can get fouled on every layup but there shall be no foul call? Is the international rule that moving screens shall be called on the US but not Argentina?

Isles, I usually stick up for you more than most, but this game was atrociously reffed, I wonder if the refs are Argentinians or Spanish? It sure seemed that way. If you dog Marbury for keeping them in it, the only thing you can say is that he should have taken over earlier and gone for 40. But people would have KILLED him if they did that, even if they won. The problem was the reffing and coaching, and yes the team could have used an outside shooter.

Please, Isles. Give us a break. It's pretty inarguable that Marbury and Odom were the only two to show up today. How about criticizing Wade or Iverson?
¿ △ ?
codeunknown
8/27/2004  3:06 PM
Posted by islesfan:

If you think Marbury had a good game then you weren't watching it.

Then what was I doing? Islesfan, get your head out of the sand.
Marbury was very anxious but he initiated everything out there. Everyone just passed it around until Marbury got it and created something. He didn't have a good game but everyone else sucked plain and simple. Duncan couldn't play more the 4 seconds at a stretch. RJ sucked. Odom was out of rythm. Iverson was a huge defensive liability and a spectator on offense.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
8/27/2004  3:14 PM
Im most irritate that TMac, Shaq, Garnett, Jermaine Oneil and Ray Allen were no shows and the guys that played their butts off come home goats
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MaTT4281
USA
8/27/2004  3:15 PM
Boxscore is out.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/results/5053191/detail.html

Marb with 18 pts, 1 assist, 3 to.
USA vs. Argentina

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy