Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/8/2017  10:43 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
fishmike wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Why do we need another guard?

Right now we have

PG Baker Sessions FRank

SG Lee THJ Dotson

then we have Mayes Artis and Randle in the bullpen?

A 4/5 a guy over 6-9 245 who can rebound and score a bit--thats the last need. Were soft with the Unknown of Noah we have 3 3-4s types KP needs to have his minutes watched and I dont think Oquinn will be here long term. I think we should be looking at a Jamall Warney Dimaon Stone type. Id prefer Stone but if he has character issues?>?>? than Warney is a quality choice as well. He just came from a WINNING situation where he was MVP hes 6-8 260 with arms that make him 7 feet tall--big interior body.

We also have the unknown of Frank, Dotson, Artis, and Randle. Dont mind a young vet on a cheap deal, in the mix.

I have to think Frank and Dotson are slated for PT or there will be anarchy:) We dont have a young big body type on this team

you mean aside from Willy? KP? Luke Kornet? Nigel Hayes is 6'7, 245 and has a 7'4 wingspan. This is a guard run league. How many bigs do you want and expect to get minutes?

Hayes and Kornett are no where near the talent of the guys I mentioned--not close. Willy has a strong body but KP does not. It keeps enforcement out on the court.

Well thats your opinion.. we can go down the list of Rodney Whites and Anthony Randophs... but big strong body? Lance/Noah/KOQ are pretty big dudes. Knicks were good rebounding the ball last year. This has not been a problem for them. The #1 problem has been defense from top to bottom.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
9/8/2017  11:30 AM
The Knicks should hold off on any signings until the elephant in the room is gone.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/8/2017  11:43 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
Finestrg wrote:Perfect guy for us right now if you ask me. Very talented, a lot of room for growth, still young.

He's just not very good, that being said, given the talent situation on the roster, why not sign him and see what happens.

He's a defensive liability. Which is gonna hurt him getting on the floor given he's not an elite three point shooter. A player can develop a solid three point shot over time and hard work and attrition. If he wants to stay in the NBA, he needs to be able to hit the three ball at an elite rate and do it from well behind the arc to space the floor.

Players are prone to hesitate to change their "game" esp as it's all they know and it' what got them to the NBA in the first place. But Burke has to commit to actually understanding the flow of the offense and accepting a more limited role to actually facilitate for his team mates.

A lot of players don't have the self humility and awareness to be subvert what they perceive as their strengths to just focusing on a specific role far less than what they hoped for their career.

He just needs to get dramatically stronger as well. He'll never have length, but guy needs to start juicing at an Olympian type level.

Yeah, I have no problem bringing him in, as long as people realize he's a longshot. Remember, the Wiz brought in Brandon Jennings because Burke was so underwhelming. I don't see him being better than Sessions. Burke has a lot of work to do just to be a backup. But it's not much of a gamble to bring him in on a minimum deal. Maybe he improves?
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
anrst
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1054
USA
9/8/2017  3:04 PM
this thread is the first time i've ever seen him described as very talented
reub
Member: #6227

9/8/2017  7:04 PM
anrst wrote:this thread is the first time i've ever seen him described as very talented

We should play Frank. Let Sessions and Baker spell him. Frank has all of the physical and mental attributes to excel. Let him go through his growing pains and gain chemistry with KP, Willy, THJr, Dotson and Baker.

Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
9/8/2017  10:35 PM
So let me get this right. We've what, some 10-11 guards that we're "assessing" and Lee,'Tim and Nitty are in as are Baker and Sessions. Dotson is in too.
So what do we have Jamaraz, XRM, Godwin, Burke, Randle, and the former Net. That's a dozen. If the Knicks management are simply doing there homework, that's fine. Yet it seems that they are trying to catch lightning in a bottle. I mean they've signed up or have 6 under contract. So what's the sweat? Can someone explain to me why they are working OT to secure one more guard when theyve 6 in place. I see Alex Scved is scoring 23 per for Russia. Why not throw him in the mix while we're at it.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
9/9/2017  10:01 AM
Thought he could be a star out of college, but he's had a lot of opportunities to prove he belongs and hasn't earned any type of consistent role.

It happens, Lowry was previously brought up, even Chauncey Billups.

We have Ntilikina set up as the pg of the future (at least he'd better be) - what we need now is someone who has gone through the hardship of establishing himself as a rotation player, who has gone through the gauntlet of learning what it takes to get minutes - who can help teach the nuances of getting it done.

Burke doesn't provide that.

He'd be yet another player trying to earn his keep and figure things out. Imho not a good match.

For this purpose Sessions is a better choice.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

9/9/2017  11:48 AM
Paris907 wrote:Can someone explain to me why they are working OT to secure one more guard when theyve 6 in place.

Be glad to.

First you have to cite wherever and whenever anyone said they're "working overtime" to secure another guard.

knicks1248
Member: #582
9/9/2017  12:28 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
Paris907 wrote:Can someone explain to me why they are working OT to secure one more guard when theyve 6 in place.

Be glad to.

First you have to cite wherever and whenever anyone said they're "working overtime" to secure another guard.

The fact that there is a report the Knicks are even entertaining Burke and Jack means they don't believe Frank and handle a significant role.

I just don't understand not signing rondo..smh

ES
Knickoftime

9/9/2017  12:35 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Be glad to.

The fact that there is a report the Knicks are even entertaining Burke and Jack means they don't believe Frank and handle a significant role.

Right, because Ian Begley tweeting "Some w/NYK view Trey Burke, Jarrett Jack as potential FA adds" supersedes the fact that they drafted him.

I just don't understand not signing rondo..

I think we can both agree that you don't understand it.

Paris907
USA
9/9/2017  10:07 PM
Knickoftime wrote:

Be glad to.

No problem. They have Lee, Baker both of whom are overpaid for what they've provided, yet they'll play minutes and potentially start. So apart from the 6 they've under contract,
Knicks mangement is still dickin around or "workin OT" (that's my term) to secure what either Sessions/Lee/Nitty/Dotson/BAker or ThJr can't. Sure why not being in Prigioni too? Jarrett Jack is baked. Randle they've all but passed on. GODWIN is a player Horny should know well by now, and so now Jamaraz or XRM or Burke? I'm calling it OT. What do you wanna call it ? So who sits if we draft Doncic? Alec Shrev anyone ? Is Chris Child's still in the league?

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
9/10/2017  12:05 AM
Paris907 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Be glad to.

No problem. They have Lee, Baker both of whom are overpaid for what they've provided, yet they'll play minutes and potentially start. So apart from the 6 they've under contract,
Knicks mangement is still dickin around or "workin OT" (that's my term) to secure what either Sessions/Lee/Nitty/Dotson/BAker or ThJr can't. Sure why not being in Prigioni too? Jarrett Jack is baked. Randle they've all but passed on. GODWIN is a player Horny should know well by now, and so now Jamaraz or XRM or Burke? I'm calling it OT. What do you wanna call it ? So who sits if we draft Doncic? Alec Shrev anyone ? Is Chris Child's still in the league?

Trying to be the opposite f Phil? Phil assembled a clumsy roster with 2 point guards and 5 centers.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Knickoftime

9/10/2017  11:30 AM
Paris907 wrote:Knicks mangement is still dickin around or "workin OT" (that's my term)

When your term has little to no relationship to what you're attempting to describe and is in fact misleading, probably a good idea to put it in quotes like you just did.

I'm calling it OT. What do you wanna call it ?

The front office considering potential roster additions with a minimum offer (the only available to them) in the offseason?

I call it their job description.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

9/10/2017  12:05 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Finestrg wrote:I tell ya what man -- if we could get Burke for the minimum, with his talent/potential, it's a gift. And if we could find a way to add a Jabari Parker for Melo, talk about another gift (even if we got nothing back except an injured Parker and had to wait longer than expected for a full recovery--and if he didn't recover, we'd have the option to cut him and open up cap room or sign him cheap and continue the rehab--I'd have no problem waiting for this guy--even Antonio McDyess eventually made it back from knee problems, something much more serious, and became a viable bench player for DET and SA playing in a good number of games for both of those teams to close out his career; Rose looked good last yr for us for the most part, Shumpert made it back from a bad knee injury, etc.. -- so there's hope. I think Parker's worth a shot. Not sure Melo's worth much more than a less than 100% Parker on his own at this point. If Parker ever did work out, WOW! Homerun! If I were the Bucks, no way I give up on him yet, but who knows how they feel), that's not a bad young nucleus at all for 2018/19 and beyond:

1 - Burke/Ntilikina/Jaramaz?
2 - THJ/Dotson/Baker
3 - Jabari Parker/Beasley
4 - KP
5 - Willy H.

Adding Burke and Parker is probably too good to be true, but I applaud the Knicks for thinking the right way and looking in the right direction here.

Burke for the minimum is fine, but what is Sessions going to do? I think Burke would be more of a long term play to see if he can really establish himself as an NBA player

Hornacek loves playing two PG sets so there will be floor time for them both.

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

9/10/2017  4:15 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:Maybe he improves?

It's entirely possible. Though I suspect it's not likely.

Trey Burke does not have an elite tool set. Nor does he have the core physical building blocks in place to hint at possible upside.

JaVale McGee really doesn't get much credit for being a true physical specimen. Given his height, length, wingspan, athleticism, hops, strength and ability to move, it should not be possible for a human being that large to move quite like that. I recognize this is true of a lot of pro athletes, but McGee was basically a test tube case ( both his parents were professional athletes) Just from a raw physical standpoint, McGee could have been one of the best players in NBA history. But he's stupid. He's really stupid actually. His decision making makes you wonder what the hell is going on in his head. However his raw tool set allows him to get a role and stay in the league.

Burke's physical limitations means he needs to be a high IQ/elite decision maker who understands how to read the floor and run the offense. He can't. He tries, but he can't.

If you have length, at least you can clog up the passing lanes on the perimeter. If you have size, at least you clog the middle. But if you lack true athleticism at this level, you just need to bring more intangibles to the table.

He's a Quad A type guy. Think of guys like Dilson Herrera or Kevin Plawecki for the Mets. Too good for Triple A, but not quite good enough to get over the hump in the bigs. Burke can create his own shot, against lesser competition. He just can't do it effectively enough at the top level.

IF he had a better tool set, he wouldn't be available. Some other team would give him a chance and done so before now.

What's his ceiling if everything goes right and he works very hard? A no defense bench gunner who dramatically improved his 3 point shot and changed his game and body enough to at least be a semi regular threat to penetrate to the rim. But we are talking massive work here and honestly massive PEDS/Juicing needed.

Paris907 wrote:So let me get this right. We've what, some 10-11 guards that we're "assessing" and Lee,'Tim and Nitty are in as are Baker and Sessions. Dotson is in too.
So what do we have Jamaraz, XRM, Godwin, Burke, Randle, and the former Net. That's a dozen. If the Knicks management are simply doing there homework, that's fine. Yet it seems that they are trying to catch lightning in a bottle. I mean they've signed up or have 6 under contract. So what's the sweat? Can someone explain to me why they are working OT to secure one more guard when theyve 6 in place. I see Alex Scved is scoring 23 per for Russia. Why not throw him in the mix while we're at it.

Lee might be traded.
Ntilikina and Dotson are rookies. They'll hit the rookie wall at some point and you can't bank on rookies giving you anything
Sessions is a vet minimum fringe signing. He could easily be toasted by now and cut
Baker had a nice year last year, but no guarantee it translates to this year
The rest are fringe guys or D League guys.
If you mean Archie Goodwin, he signed with the Blazers on a camp deal.
Also injuries happen.

Bill Parcells - When you have two quarterbacks, you really have none

Knicks have 11-12 dudes. OK, but most are just fringe cannon fodder types. Given their situation, the issue is AMASS VALUE and you keep doing so without regard to POSITIONAL VALUE. If the Knicks can get some talented PFs and have 10 already, so what, get an 11th. They desperately need NBA level rotation talent. If it's a center, a guard, a Stretch 4, a wing, who cares.

You worry about NEED AND FIT AND POSITIONAL STABILITY when you are teams like the Spurs, the Warriors, the Rockets, teams set to win and push.

Knicks are one injury and a trade/or a roster cut away from being totally gutted in the backcourt.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/10/2017  7:47 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

Trey Burke does not have an elite tool set. Nor does he have the core physical building blocks in place to hint at possible upside.

JaVale McGee really doesn't get much credit for being a true physical specimen. Given his height, length, wingspan, athleticism, hops, strength and ability to move, it should not be possible for a human being that large to move quite like that. I recognize this is true of a lot of pro athletes, but McGee was basically a test tube case ( both his parents were professional athletes) Just from a raw physical standpoint, McGee could have been one of the best players in NBA history. But he's stupid. He's really stupid actually. His decision making makes you wonder what the hell is going on in his head. However his raw tool set allows him to get a role and stay in the league.

Burke's physical limitations means he needs to be a high IQ/elite decision maker who understands how to read the floor and run the offense. He can't. He tries, but he can't.

If you have length, at least you can clog up the passing lanes on the perimeter. If you have size, at least you clog the middle. But if you lack true athleticism at this level, you just need to bring more intangibles to the table.

He's a Quad A type guy. Think of guys like Dilson Herrera or Kevin Plawecki for the Mets. Too good for Triple A, but not quite good enough to get over the hump in the bigs. Burke can create his own shot, against lesser competition. He just can't do it effectively enough at the top level.

IF he had a better tool set, he wouldn't be available. Some other team would give him a chance and done so before now.

What's his ceiling if everything goes right and he works very hard? A no defense bench gunner who dramatically improved his 3 point shot and changed his game and body enough to at least be a semi regular threat to penetrate to the rim. But we are talking massive work here and honestly massive PEDS/Juicing needed.

Paris907 wrote:So let me get this right. We've what, some 10-11 guards that we're "assessing" and Lee,'Tim and Nitty are in as are Baker and Sessions. Dotson is in too.

Lee might be traded.
Ntilikina and Dotson are rookies. They'll hit the rookie wall at some point and you can't bank on rookies giving you anything
Sessions is a vet minimum fringe signing. He could easily be toasted by now and cut
Also injuries happen.

Knicks have 11-12 dudes. OK, but most are just fringe cannon fodder types. Given their situation, the issue is AMASS VALUE and you keep doing so without regard to POSITIONAL VALUE. If the Knicks can get some talented PFs and have 10 already, so what, get an 11th. They desperately need NBA level rotation talent. If it's a center, a guard, a Stretch 4, a wing, who cares.

You worry about NEED AND FIT AND POSITIONAL STABILITY when you are teams like the Spurs, the Warriors, the Rockets, teams set to win and push.

Knicks are one injury and a trade/or a roster cut away from being totally gutted in the backcourt.

The more competition the better, I agree.

Paris907
USA
9/10/2017  9:34 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

Lee might be traded.
Also injuries happen.

That's an intelligent response and i that's palatable. It beats Knickotime concerning himself with where the quotes Belong. Lee is trade fodder I agree and he's earning too much as his presence won't have a material impact on how many games we win. There was some reference of him absorbing minutes at SF but given the height and athleticism of young small forwards today it wouldn't work. The other issue I see is the premium Paid Baker. Sure we like his grit and his court sense but did I read 29% from 3? That simply won't get it done unless your one is the very top defenders like Bradley which I doubt will occur.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

9/11/2017  9:29 AM
Finestrg wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:I would be all about this

I thought we should've tried to trade Jennings for him

If you look back at those draft stats that try to rate the possibility that he's a star and the possibility he's a bust, if I remember correctly, he was essentially similar to Deangelo Russell - just as likely to be a star as a bust

Burke isn't that big and he isn't that quick... I think he is pretty much destined to be a 'bust' - that said, he is a cerebral PG and I could see him having a Steve Blake type of career - he might be able to start in case of emergency, but you're damned glad he's on your team when the second team comes out

I hear ya, although his potential to be something more higher end than Blake intrigues me. Imagine he turned into Kyle Lowry for us with that talent, a change a scenery, higher usage? Those are all the ingredients that eventually helped Lowry blossom. Definitely worth a shot. We already have Sessions. We don't need Jarrett Jack now too.

Trey Burke was a guy I absolutely loved and would've bet on him being a quality PG in the NBA... I just think unfortunately his lack of physical gifts are what you notice about him, not the cerebral qualities that were obvious at the college level

I would definitely make room for him because we need a PG of the future. Frank may be that, but he truthfully hasn't done anything to merit it yet. Competition is good. Worst case, Frank shreds Burke. Best case, it brings out the best in both and we have two young guys that can play - they're young, so night-to-night one might be great and the other might stink but figure at least one balls. What I think is more realistic is that Frank is up-and-down and Trey Burke is up-and-down in a reserve role. I brought up Steve Blake because he was cerebral, was a back up, and while early in his career that wasn't enough, by the end of his career teams were trading for him with picks because he ended up being one of the best reserve PGs I've ever seen

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/11/2017  11:47 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/11/2017  11:48 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

Dan Dickau is the name that comes to mind when I think of Burke. Dickau was a bust who managed to squeeze 1.5 to 2 decent seasons in his career. The physical limitations will keep him at that level. You might be more optimistic than me, because I don't even think there's enough PEDs in the world to make him a starting caliber NBA PG lol. But he might turn into a rotation guy if he focuses on improving shot selection and passing.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/11/2017  2:57 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Dan Dickau is the name that comes to mind when I think of Burke. Dickau was a bust who managed to squeeze 1.5 to 2 decent seasons in his career. The physical limitations will keep him at that level. You might be more optimistic than me, because I don't even think there's enough PEDs in the world to make him a starting caliber NBA PG lol. But he might turn into a rotation guy if he focuses on improving shot selection and passing.

Havent heard that name in a while. Not since he was waived. Hope Burke would do better than that.
I dont expect anything big from Burke, nothing really about his game stood out to me. But you never know what a change of scenery can do. Wouldnt mind having a look and seeing if he would be a good fit.

Hornacek has shown that he can be a good mentor to young guards (from his time in Phoenix) He can share his own experiences in the league. And in turn Burke can give the bench a little more experience, another vet for the all these rookie and sophmore guards to talk to.

Lots of inexperience in the backcourt.

Trey Burke

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy