[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Trey Burke
Author Thread
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

9/7/2017  7:10 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/7/2017  8:38 PM
So it looks like at least part of our front office is interested in this young man.

https://dailyknicks.com/2017/09/07/knicks-rumors-new-york-intrigued-trey-burke/

I like it, personally. Perfect guy for us right now if you ask me. Very talented, a lot of room for growth, still young. Took Kyle Lowry several years (and only with increased usage and responsibility several years into his career) before he finally took off as a player, right? Very similar player with similar potential if you ask me. The idea of adding a young PG with this man's talent/potential intrigues me much more than anything Jarrett Jack could teach Frank for a year or two.

Thoughts? Do we have enough cap room to add him? What kind of a contract gets it done for Burke? I thought he looked good last year for Washington, probably his best year in the NBA thus far.

AUTOADVERT
Knickoftime
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3370

9/7/2017  7:14 PM
Finestrg wrote:So it looks like at least part of our front office is interested in this young man.

I like it, personally. Perfect guy for us right now if you ask me. Very talented, a lot of room for growth, still young. Took Kyle Lowry several years (and only with increased usage and responsibility several years into his career) before he finally took off as a player, right? Very similar player with similar potential if you ask me. The idea of adding a young PG with this man's talent/potential intrigues me much more than anything Jarrett Jack could teach Frank for a year or two.

Thoughts? Do we have enough cap room to add him? What kind of a contract get it done for Burke? I thought he looked good last year for Washington, probably his best year in the NBA thus far.

Knicks have no cap room and no exceptions.

Can only offer his minimum.

Finestrg

9/7/2017  7:19 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
Finestrg wrote:So it looks like at least part of our front office is interested in this young man.

Thoughts? Do we have enough cap room to add him? What kind of a contract get it done for Burke? I thought he looked good last year for Washington, probably his best year in the NBA thus far.

Ok, that's what I thought but wasn't sure. Could that get it done? Pretty deep into FA and this guy's out of work with no team right now. Offer him the minimum? The minimum + a starting role perhaps (let Frank come off the bench year 1 behind Burke)?

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
9/7/2017  7:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/7/2017  7:34 PM
Finestrg wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Ok, that's what I thought but wasn't sure. Could that get it done? Pretty deep into FA and this guy's out of work with no team right now. Offer him the minimum? The minimum + a starting role perhaps (let Frank come off the bench year 1 behind Burke)?

If he would sign for the minimum I think you tell him he can have the starting job. Getting him for the minimum would be a no risk, possibly high reward move.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Finestrg

9/7/2017  8:36 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Finestrg wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

If he would sign for the minimum I think you tell him he can have the starting job. Getting him for the minimum would be a no risk, possibly high reward move.

Agreed.

Finestrg

9/7/2017  9:10 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/7/2017  9:33 PM
I tell ya what man -- if we could get Burke for the minimum, with his talent/potential, it's a gift. And if we could find a way to add a Jabari Parker for Melo, talk about another gift (even if we got nothing back except an injured Parker and had to wait longer than expected for a full recovery--and if he didn't recover, we'd have the option to cut him and open up cap room or sign him cheap and continue the rehab--I'd have no problem waiting for this guy--even Antonio McDyess eventually made it back from knee problems, something much more serious, and became a viable bench player for DET and SA playing in a good number of games for both of those teams to close out his career; Rose looked good last yr for us for the most part, Shumpert made it back from a bad knee injury, etc.. -- so there's hope. I think Parker's worth a shot. Not sure Melo's worth much more than a less than 100% Parker on his own at this point. If Parker ever did work out, WOW! Homerun! If I were the Bucks, no way I give up on him yet, but who knows how they feel), that's not a bad young nucleus at all for 2018/19 and beyond:

1 - Burke/Ntilikina/Jaramaz?
2 - THJ/Dotson/Baker
3 - Jabari Parker/Beasley
4 - KP
5 - Willy H.

Adding Burke and Parker is probably too good to be true, but I applaud the Knicks for thinking the right way and looking in the right direction here.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

9/7/2017  9:10 PM
I would be all about this

I thought we should've tried to trade Jennings for him

If you look back at those draft stats that try to rate the possibility that he's a star and the possibility he's a bust, if I remember correctly, he was essentially similar to Deangelo Russell - just as likely to be a star as a bust

Burke isn't that big and he isn't that quick... I think he is pretty much destined to be a 'bust' - that said, he is a cerebral PG and I could see him having a Steve Blake type of career - he might be able to start in case of emergency, but you're damned glad he's on your team when the second team comes out

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Finestrg

9/7/2017  9:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/7/2017  9:37 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:I would be all about this

I thought we should've tried to trade Jennings for him

If you look back at those draft stats that try to rate the possibility that he's a star and the possibility he's a bust, if I remember correctly, he was essentially similar to Deangelo Russell - just as likely to be a star as a bust

Burke isn't that big and he isn't that quick... I think he is pretty much destined to be a 'bust' - that said, he is a cerebral PG and I could see him having a Steve Blake type of career - he might be able to start in case of emergency, but you're damned glad he's on your team when the second team comes out

I hear ya, although his potential to be something more higher end than Blake intrigues me. Imagine he turned into Kyle Lowry for us with that talent, a change a scenery, higher usage? Those are all the ingredients that eventually helped Lowry blossom. Definitely worth a shot. We already have Sessions. We don't need Jarrett Jack now too.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

9/7/2017  9:43 PM
Finestrg wrote:I tell ya what man -- if we could get Burke for the minimum, with his talent/potential, it's a gift. And if we could find a way to add a Jabari Parker for Melo, talk about another gift (even if we got nothing back except an injured Parker and had to wait longer than expected for a full recovery--and if he didn't recover, we'd have the option to cut him and open up cap room or sign him cheap and continue the rehab--I'd have no problem waiting for this guy--even Antonio McDyess eventually made it back from knee problems, something much more serious, and became a viable bench player for DET and SA playing in a good number of games for both of those teams to close out his career; Rose looked good last yr for us for the most part, Shumpert made it back from a bad knee injury, etc.. -- so there's hope. I think Parker's worth a shot. Not sure Melo's worth much more than a less than 100% Parker on his own at this point. If Parker ever did work out, WOW! Homerun! If I were the Bucks, no way I give up on him yet, but who knows how they feel), that's not a bad young nucleus at all for 2018/19 and beyond:

2 - THJ/Dotson/Baker
4 - KP
5 - Willy H.

Adding Burke and Parker is probably too good to be true, but I applaud the Knicks for thinking the right way and looking in the right direction here.

Burke for the minimum is fine, but what is Sessions going to do? I think Burke would be more of a long term play to see if he can really establish himself as an NBA player

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Finestrg

9/7/2017  9:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/7/2017  9:59 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Finestrg wrote:I tell ya what man -- if we could get Burke for the minimum, with his talent/potential, it's a gift. And if we could find a way to add a Jabari Parker for Melo, talk about another gift (even if we got nothing back except an injured Parker and had to wait longer than expected for a full recovery--and if he didn't recover, we'd have the option to cut him and open up cap room or sign him cheap and continue the rehab--I'd have no problem waiting for this guy--even Antonio McDyess eventually made it back from knee problems, something much more serious, and became a viable bench player for DET and SA playing in a good number of games for both of those teams to close out his career; Rose looked good last yr for us for the most part, Shumpert made it back from a bad knee injury, etc.. -- so there's hope. I think Parker's worth a shot. Not sure Melo's worth much more than a less than 100% Parker on his own at this point. If Parker ever did work out, WOW! Homerun! If I were the Bucks, no way I give up on him yet, but who knows how they feel), that's not a bad young nucleus at all for 2018/19 and beyond:

2 - THJ/Dotson/Baker
4 - KP
5 - Willy H.

Burke for the minimum is fine, but what is Sessions going to do? I think Burke would be more of a long term play to see if he can really establish himself as an NBA player

Let Sessions play some early on, then relegate to a vet Nitty goes up against in practice. After awhile, I don't think he needs to take mins. from Frank in order to have the mentor impact the Knicks are looking for. Watching Sessions play for the Knicks does very little for me at this point to be perfectly honest, akin to watching Howard Eisley or Chris Duhon.. I can't possibly see adding Jarrett Jack on top of Sessions. Redundant and pointless. Burke's still young with talent and potential. True PG too -- still not convinced Nitty's a true PG. We just don't know fellas. Shumpert came billed in a similar way Frank has been -- a bigger defensive guard, ball-handler/orchestrator and Shump really wasn't that at all. I'm expecting a much better player than Shumpert but we're just gonna need to see exactly what Frank is. Is he a lead guard or is he Jamal Crawford? Burke is a true PG though, one with potential & a still halfway decent future.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/7/2017  10:01 PM
Its interesting how many PGs the Knicks are looking at. I cant remember exactly which season a few years ago, but we had a real glut of guards on the bench, to the point where posters were wondering why. Turned out so many of them got hurt that we ended up playing everybody. You never know.

Hornacek might be looking to install a 3 PG offense again, and wants to try out as many combinations as possible.

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
9/7/2017  10:02 PM

2 - THJ/Dotson/Baker
4 - KP
5 - Willy H.

I'd like to see this team grow.

This is the Randle.
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

9/7/2017  10:34 PM
Finestrg wrote:Perfect guy for us right now if you ask me. Very talented, a lot of room for growth, still young.

He's just not very good, that being said, given the talent situation on the roster, why not sign him and see what happens.

He's a defensive liability. Which is gonna hurt him getting on the floor given he's not an elite three point shooter. A player can develop a solid three point shot over time and hard work and attrition. If he wants to stay in the NBA, he needs to be able to hit the three ball at an elite rate and do it from well behind the arc to space the floor.

Players are prone to hesitate to change their "game" esp as it's all they know and it' what got them to the NBA in the first place. But Burke has to commit to actually understanding the flow of the offense and accepting a more limited role to actually facilitate for his team mates.

A lot of players don't have the self humility and awareness to be subvert what they perceive as their strengths to just focusing on a specific role far less than what they hoped for their career.

He just needs to get dramatically stronger as well. He'll never have length, but guy needs to start juicing at an Olympian type level.

GustavBahler

9/8/2017  9:18 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
Finestrg wrote:Perfect guy for us right now if you ask me. Very talented, a lot of room for growth, still young.

He's just not very good, that being said, given the talent situation on the roster, why not sign him and see what happens.

He's a defensive liability. Which is gonna hurt him getting on the floor given he's not an elite three point shooter. A player can develop a solid three point shot over time and hard work and attrition. If he wants to stay in the NBA, he needs to be able to hit the three ball at an elite rate and do it from well behind the arc to space the floor.

Players are prone to hesitate to change their "game" esp as it's all they know and it' what got them to the NBA in the first place. But Burke has to commit to actually understanding the flow of the offense and accepting a more limited role to actually facilitate for his team mates.

A lot of players don't have the self humility and awareness to be subvert what they perceive as their strengths to just focusing on a specific role far less than what they hoped for their career.

He just needs to get dramatically stronger as well. He'll never have length, but guy needs to start juicing at an Olympian type level.

Haven't seen enough of Burke to say wether or not he is a good fit, but I agree that we should have a look at him. Frank is still a question mark, and so are the other rooks. The more competition, the better.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
9/8/2017  9:42 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/8/2017  9:55 AM
Why do we need another guard?

Right now we have

PG Baker Sessions FRank

SG Lee THJ Dotson

then we have Mayes Artis and Randle in the bullpen?

A 4/5 a guy over 6-9 245 who can rebound and score a bit--thats the last need. Were soft with the Unknown of Noah we have 3 3-4s types KP needs to have his minutes watched and I dont think Oquinn will be here long term. I think we should be looking at a Jamall Warney Dimaon Stone type. Id prefer Stone but if he has character issues?>?>? than Warney is a quality choice as well. He just came from a WINNING situation where he was MVP hes 6-8 260 with arms that make him 7 feet tall--big interior body.

Warneey stats in the D league -0-sme as college stats stuffer pts 17.5 reb--8 steals 1.4 blocks 1.5 assists 1.5 fg% 58% 44 games

RIP Crushalot😞
GustavBahler

9/8/2017  9:47 AM
BRIGGS wrote:Why do we need another guard?

Right now we have

PG Baker Sessions FRank

SG Lee THJ Dotson

A 4/5 a guy over 6-9 245 who can rebound and score a bit--thats the last need. Were soft with the Unknown of Noah we have 3 3-4s types KP needs to have his minutes watched and I dont think Oquinn will be here long term. I think we should be looking at a Jamall Warney Dimaon Stone type. Id prefer Stone but if he has character issues?>?>? than Warney is a quality choice as well. He just came from a WINNING situation where he was MVP hes 6-8 260 with arms that make him 7 feet tall--big interior body.

We also have the unknown of Frank, Dotson, Artis, and Randle. Dont mind a young vet on a cheap deal, in the mix.

BRIGGS
9/8/2017  9:57 AM
GustavBahler wrote:

Right now we have

PG Baker Sessions FRank

SG Lee THJ Dotson

We also have the unknown of Frank, Dotson, Artis, and Randle. Dont mind a young vet on a cheap deal, in the mix.

I have to think Frank and Dotson are slated for PT or there will be anarchy:) We dont have a young big body type on this team

RIP Crushalot😞
GustavBahler

9/8/2017  10:05 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Right now we have

PG Baker Sessions FRank

SG Lee THJ Dotson

I have to think Frank and Dotson are slated for PT or there will be anarchy:) We dont have a young big body type on this team

Frank yes, not sure about Dotson. We have more experience, leadership, in the frontcourt than the backcourt, wouldn't mind waiting until the first trade deadline to maybe look for a big.

We do need help at the 3, like you said, O'Quinn looks like he might be moved. Probably wont happen until they see what Beasley has to offer.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
9/8/2017  10:12 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Right now we have

PG Baker Sessions FRank

SG Lee THJ Dotson

you mean aside from Willy? KP? Luke Kornet? Nigel Hayes is 6'7, 245 and has a 7'4 wingspan. This is a guard run league. How many bigs do you want and expect to get minutes?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BRIGGS
9/8/2017  10:34 AM
fishmike wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Right now we have

PG Baker Sessions FRank

SG Lee THJ Dotson

you mean aside from Willy? KP? Luke Kornet? Nigel Hayes is 6'7, 245 and has a 7'4 wingspan. This is a guard run league. How many bigs do you want and expect to get minutes?

Hayes and Kornett are no where near the talent of the guys I mentioned--not close. Willy has a strong body but KP does not. It keeps enforcement out on the court.

RIP Crushalot😞
Trey Burke

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy