[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Red Sox Investigated for Cheating
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/6/2017  8:20 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/6/2017  8:22 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/sports/baseball/boston-red-sox-stealing-signs-yankees.html?mcubz=1
They've apparently confessed to the cheating. I doubt MLB has the balls to do this but every game the Red Sox won but cheated in should be counted as a loss. I don't get how you can cheat in a game and keep the win. MLB needs a harsh penalty to deter this in the future too.
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/6/2017  8:34 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/sports/baseball/boston-red-sox-stealing-signs-yankees.html?mcubz=1
They've apparently confessed to the cheating. I doubt MLB has the balls to do this but every game the Red Sox won but cheated in should be counted as a loss. I don't get how you can cheat in a game and keep the win. MLB needs a harsh penalty to deter this in the future too.
I agree. However MLB are a bunch of pussies and will do nothing of the sort. Expect a trivial fine. Hope Im wrong.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
USA
9/6/2017  11:44 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/6/2017  11:47 AM
NY Post said the league has ruled out adjusting the win totals though it didn't have a direct quote. I'm not as sure right now what the right solution is. If you take away the wins here, does that mean you take away the wins if someone plays in a game and later tests positive for PEDs? You could say that's not quite the same but maybe it's a slippery slope. Here since there was more widespread team involvement, I think there has to be a significant penalty to the team though. I'm not sure what the penalty should be. If it's true, I don't like that the league has already ruled out adjusting the standings. That should at least be part of the discussion.
fishmike
USA
9/6/2017  11:51 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:NY Post said the league has ruled out adjusting the win totals though it didn't have a direct quote. I'm not as sure right now what the right solution is. If you take away the wins here, does that mean you take away the wins if someone plays in a game and later tests positive for PEDs? You could say that's not quite the same but maybe it's a slippery slope. Here since there was more widespread team involvement, I think there has to be a significant penalty to the team though.
PEDs are individual players so you punish them. This should not be that slippery. The TEAM did it so the TEAM should be punished. Take the wins and it stops happening. Thats is a legit penalty to something that kills the integrity of the game. If its a fine than it should be at the very minimum $20mm. Thats the gate for a couple games. Maybe a week's worth depending.
fishmike
USA
9/6/2017  11:52 AM
actually both. Take the 2-3 wins or whatever games they caught it AND fine them $20mm.

Again... MLB are so weak. It will be a joke I promise.

Bonn1997
USA
9/6/2017  11:54 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/6/2017  11:54 AM
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:NY Post said the league has ruled out adjusting the win totals though it didn't have a direct quote. I'm not as sure right now what the right solution is. If you take away the wins here, does that mean you take away the wins if someone plays in a game and later tests positive for PEDs? You could say that's not quite the same but maybe it's a slippery slope. Here since there was more widespread team involvement, I think there has to be a significant penalty to the team though.
PEDs are individual players so you punish them. This should not be that slippery. The TEAM did it so the TEAM should be punished. Take the wins and it stops happening. Thats is a legit penalty to something that kills the integrity of the game. If its a fine than it should be at the very minimum $20mm. Thats the gate for a couple games. Maybe a week's worth depending.

OK but what if team official(s) knew about a player using PEDs? Then you take wins away?
fishmike
USA
9/6/2017  12:28 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

OK but what if team official(s) knew about a player using PEDs? Then you take wins away?
No.. still a player's choice. Also its harder to quantify the impact. I think if there was some widespread distribution from a team official it would merit some big fines etc... but you still gotta play. PEDs are an advantage but hardly in baseball as other sports.

As a pitcher (I played amateur hardball for 10+ years) I always enjoyed facing the big juice dudes. Sure you make a mistake and they crush it, but thats on you. All those monkeys swing for the fences. Most are easy outs. It was always those little skinny latino guys who slapped everything around that drove me nuts. Those dudes were always tough outs and much tougher (just one pitcher's 2c) than the big guys.

You can be on PEDs and still swing at bad pitches, make bad throws, etc... its different when you know what is coming. Also the rules are pretty clear about using electronics or spying to relate signs to players on the field.

EwingsGlass
Member: #893
USA
9/6/2017  12:36 PM
ESPN doesn't seem to think this is news. Surprise surprise. NESN and ESPN should just merge.
This is the Randle.
Bonn1997
USA
10/13/2017  8:17 AM
fishmike wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/sports/baseball/boston-red-sox-stealing-signs-yankees.html?mcubz=1
I agree. However MLB are a bunch of pussies and will do nothing of the sort. Expect a trivial fine. Hope Im wrong.

Karma works out I guess! I'm kind of happy that they lost on their own rather than mlb taking wins away!
Red Sox Investigated for Cheating

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy