Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/30/2017  5:49 PM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:Popovich

SAN ANTONIO — Gregg Popovich arrived at Tim Duncan's jersey retirement ceremony well prepared. In his suit coat pocket were several tissues, folded neatly, just in case.

The San Antonio Spurs coach nearly needed them when he expressed 20 years' worth of gratitude for what he understands was the singular trait that made Duncan one of the greatest leaders in the history of basketball.

Popovich coaches hard, from the top of the roster to the bottom. And it helps to have a certain kind of team leader when you demand perfection, often at full volume.

In David Robinson, he had a fellow military academy graduate who understood command structure. In Duncan, he discovered a humble superstar, without ego or hint of attitude, willing to be an example for every teammate.

Trying to explain this to a sellout crowd at the Sunday ceremony at the AT&T Center that followed the Spurs' 113-100 win over the New Orleans Pelicans nearly brought Popovich's emotions to the surface.

"If your superstar can take a little hit now and then, everybody else can shut the hell up and fall in line," Popovich said, and then it was clear he felt his throat starting to tighten. He paused, a long delay, then stamped his foot.

Turning to look directly at Duncan, Popovich finally was able to continue.

"So, thank you for letting me coach you, Timmy," Popovich said. "I'm really thankful because you allowed me to coach the team."

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2682681-gregg-popovich-and-spurs-stars-recall-tim-duncans-exemplary-career.amp.html

You are missing the point. The only superstar on that team last season was former MVP Rose, and he was playing like there wasnt anyone else on the team most of the time. Popovich would never have become the coach he became, earn respect not just nationally but internationally, if he had singled out Duncan, and let Tony Parker play the way Rose did. Would never have happened. Completely different situation

I believe if Hornacek had established himself as a coach who doesnt take any BS on the court from ANY player, Porzingis would have taken the heat like everyone else.

Don't give me DRose who was on an expiring contract. KP is the future of the franchise and needs to take that role seriously and accept that extra attention from the coach!!! I wasn't at every practice but I can't imagine Jeff only had words for KP! Was Jeff just silent all practice and never said anything about anyone else messing up? I doubt that. Players can't be thin skinned like that. KP ESPECIALLY has to know he's a top player and will be the face of the franchise!

Sloan or Popovich wouldn't have let a no defense playing, selfish, PG, skate for almost an entire season, go AWOL because that player's contract was expiring. Especially the starting PG. You are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

You are arguing that Duncan and KP were in the same situation. You dont tell a kid he is the future by showing him that other starters will skate for behavior that would have gotten them benched on other teams. It isnt a lifetime contract. Thats not how you keep players happy. Its a player's league now, keeping stars or future stars happy is important. Like it or not.

Besides, if Phil was here Rose might still be.

AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
8/30/2017  5:51 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

SAN ANTONIO — Gregg Popovich arrived at Tim Duncan's jersey retirement ceremony well prepared. In his suit coat pocket were several tissues, folded neatly, just in case.

The San Antonio Spurs coach nearly needed them when he expressed 20 years' worth of gratitude for what he understands was the singular trait that made Duncan one of the greatest leaders in the history of basketball.

Popovich coaches hard, from the top of the roster to the bottom. And it helps to have a certain kind of team leader when you demand perfection, often at full volume.

In David Robinson, he had a fellow military academy graduate who understood command structure. In Duncan, he discovered a humble superstar, without ego or hint of attitude, willing to be an example for every teammate.

Trying to explain this to a sellout crowd at the Sunday ceremony at the AT&T Center that followed the Spurs' 113-100 win over the New Orleans Pelicans nearly brought Popovich's emotions to the surface.

"If your superstar can take a little hit now and then, everybody else can shut the hell up and fall in line," Popovich said, and then it was clear he felt his throat starting to tighten. He paused, a long delay, then stamped his foot.

"So, thank you for letting me coach you, Timmy," Popovich said. "I'm really thankful because you allowed me to coach the team."

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2682681-gregg-popovich-and-spurs-stars-recall-tim-duncans-exemplary-career.amp.html

You are missing the point. The only superstar on that team last season was former MVP Rose, and he was playing like there wasnt anyone else on the team most of the time. Popovich would never have become the coach he became, earn respect not just nationally but internationally, if he had singled out Duncan, and let Tony Parker play the way Rose did. Would never have happened. Completely different situation

I believe if Hornacek had established himself as a coach who doesnt take any BS on the court from ANY player, Porzingis would have taken the heat like everyone else.

I think you are right. Bondy and now Vescey have written about this happening.

In the end KP has to learn how to accept hard coaching of HIM and not be looking at how anyone else is coached as if this is F'n Kindergarten or Peewee League where everyone gets a participation trophy!!! Put your damn big boy pants and GO HARDER. WTF is wrong with people? Since when do we have to accept softness or sensitivity from players? Oakley is face palming right now over this kind of BS!

nixluva
USA
8/30/2017  5:55 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Don't give me DRose who was on an expiring contract. KP is the future of the franchise and needs to take that role seriously and accept that extra attention from the coach!!! I wasn't at every practice but I can't imagine Jeff only had words for KP! Was Jeff just silent all practice and never said anything about anyone else messing up? I doubt that. Players can't be thin skinned like that. KP ESPECIALLY has to know he's a top player and will be the face of the franchise!

Sloan or Popovich wouldn't have let a no defense playing, selfish, PG, skate for almost an entire season, go AWOL because that player's contract was expiring. Especially the starting PG. You are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

You are arguing that Duncan and KP were in the same situation. You dont tell a kid he is the future by showing him that other starters will skate for behavior that would have gotten them benched on other teams. It isnt a lifetime contract. Thats not how you keep players happy. Its a player's league now, keeping stars or future stars happy is important. Like it or not.

Why do you keep making this about Rose??? This isn't about him. It's about KP manning the F up and accepting being coached and challenged to be BETTER! If anything I'd say KP could get in Jeff's face which would show some fire and balls! He's 7-3 for goodness sake! As I said Ewing and Oakley are laughing at this DRose excuse.

GustavBahler

8/30/2017  5:55 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/30/2017  5:56 PM
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

In the end KP has to learn how to accept hard coaching of HIM and not be looking at how anyone else is coached as if this is F'n Kindergarten or Peewee League where everyone gets a participation trophy!!! Put your damn big boy pants and GO HARDER. WTF is wrong with people? Since when do we have to accept softness or sensitivity from players? Oakley is face palming right now over this kind of BS!

If someone treated you like that at your job (nevermind the pay) you saw that kind of double standard, doubt you would appreciate that kind of a pep talk.

nixluva
USA
8/30/2017  6:05 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

If someone treated you like that at your job (nevermind the pay) you saw that kind of double standard, doubt you would appreciate that kind of a pep talk.

First off there's no comparison between an office and sports. There's almost a military approach in sports where like a Sergeant might break a soldier down to build him up as a fierce fighter. Football coaches are notorious for being hard on players.

Pushing KP is probably necessary. KP has to learn just how hard he has to play as a Big in this league. I have no problem with this. KP needs to go workout with Oakley and see what he thinks.

GustavBahler

8/30/2017  6:06 PM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Why do you keep making this about Rose??? This isn't about him. It's about KP manning the F up and accepting being coached and challenged to be BETTER! If anything I'd say KP could get in Jeff's face which would show some fire and balls! He's 7-3 for goodness sake! As I said Ewing and Oakley are laughing at this DRose excuse.

Im making it about culture. Thats what this is all about isnt it? Establishing a culture of accountability? How the hell is this franchise going to get anywhere when you tell your future star that your starting PG can freeze you out, act like a sieve on D, force you to work harder to make up for it. Go AWOL, not miss a game, and you get singled out in a stadium full of people for a blown assignment. Thats not a culture change, thats the same old Knicks. Fing up a good thing.

GustavBahler

8/30/2017  6:11 PM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

First off there's no comparison between an office and sports. There's almost a military approach in sports where like a Sergeant might break a soldier down to build him up as a fierce fighter. Football coaches are notorious for being hard on players.

Pushing KP is probably necessary. KP has to learn just how hard he has to play as a Big in this league. I have no problem with this. KP needs to go workout with Oakley and see what he thinks.

Im sure some folks in Iraq and Afghanistan would take issue with that remark. Of course they compare, its a multi-billion dollar business, these athletes are corporations unto themselves. Its very much work, and millions of people are watching.

As a fan, I have no problem with Hornacek pushing KP, probably needs it. But if you are singling out a player, and letting others get away with worse, actual stars, then it doesnt come off as "tough love" comes off as being an *******

nixluva
USA
8/30/2017  6:25 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Im sure some folks in Iraq and Afghanistan would take issue with that remark. Of course they compare, its a multi-billion dollar business, these athletes are corporations unto themselves. Its very much work, and millions of people are watching.

As a fan, I have no problem with Hornacek pushing KP, probably needs it. But if you are singling out a player, and letting others get away with worse, actual stars, then it doesnt come off as "tough love" comes off as being an *******

Whatever! I come from a Military and Police Family. I really don't think it's acceptable to make excuses for KP by bringing up DRose. This is about KP and how he handles coaching and being challenged. I don't wanna hear any Whining or crying what about so and so! No MF what about YOU manning up and handling your business? You wanna be great or not! Get your ass in gear and be a leader.

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/30/2017  6:38 PM
The sense of entitlement is crazy with KP. Man the kid is parking in management parking spot. He got Phil fired on top of it. I wonder if an apology is coming from ESPN and Steven A.
GustavBahler

8/30/2017  6:40 PM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Whatever! I come from a Military and Police Family. I really don't think it's acceptable to make excuses for KP by bringing up DRose. This is about KP and how he handles coaching and being challenged. I don't wanna hear any Whining or crying what about so and so! No MF what about YOU manning up and handling your business? You wanna be great or not! Get your ass in gear and be a leader.

Dont care, no one is shooting at them, trying to blow them up. Its closer to a regular paycheck than it is to actual combat. Get a grip.

Suddenly culture change isnt so important. Keeping future stars who will be FAs on a team already with the worst rep in the league isn't so important. Just KP "manning up" and leading this **** show all by himself.

KP cant lead while he's bending over. Maybe you can, IDK. Thats not leadership to me. He held to his convictions, Porzingis is still here. Phil is in Montana. Sounds like a leader to me.

nixluva
USA
8/30/2017  7:08 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Dont care, no one is shooting at them, trying to blow them up. Its closer to a regular paycheck than it is to actual combat. Get a grip.

Suddenly culture change isnt so important. Keeping future stars who will be FAs on a team already with the worst rep in the league isn't so important. Just KP "manning up" and leading this **** show all by himself.

KP cant lead while he's bending over. Maybe you can, IDK. Thats not leadership to me. He held to his convictions, Porzingis is still here. Phil is in Montana. Sounds like a leader to me.

You get a grip! Contact sports is more close to the mentality of military than Office work unless you think people are throwing bows and posting up at the water cooler. You can't be serious with this take.

I don't get you at all. You tried to push this as a fairness issue rather than one of personal responsibility. KP needs to man up and accept the challenge and not wuss out pointing to others not getting as much attention. As I said KP needs to worry about his own effort level and be an example for others to follow. Don't remember having to make excuses for Oakley or Ewing. Why are we going to allow KP to play soft?

GustavBahler

8/30/2017  7:32 PM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

You get a grip! Contact sports is more close to the mentality of military than Office work unless you think people are throwing bows and posting up at the water cooler. You can't be serious with this take.

I don't get you at all. You tried to push this as a fairness issue rather than one of personal responsibility. KP needs to man up and accept the challenge and not wuss out pointing to others not getting as much attention. As I said KP needs to worry about his own effort level and be an example for others to follow. Don't remember having to make excuses for Oakley or Ewing. Why are we going to allow KP to play soft?

No, they post up on the weekend, for fun, and get the same injuries, only worse because they're older.

This notion of blind loyalty to a team/employer who is clearly disrespecting you by giving other players carte blanche, no matter how it affects the team, I dont get myself. Its not family or country, its work.

Personal responsibility at work only means something if its applied equally. Why would any player want anything else? The player who is third in touches, shouldnt get most of the heat.

Personal responsibility means nothing if its selectively enforced, by anyone. Thats not a team concept.

nixluva
USA
8/30/2017  8:56 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

No, they post up on the weekend, for fun, and get the same injuries, only worse because they're older.

This notion of blind loyalty to a team/employer who is clearly disrespecting you by giving other players carte blanche, no matter how it affects the team, I dont get myself. Its not family or country, its work.

Personal responsibility at work only means something if its applied equally. Why would any player want anything else? The player who is third in touches, shouldnt get most of the heat.

Personal responsibility means nothing if its selectively enforced, by anyone. Thats not a team concept.

All you're doing is obfuscating the real issue. You've selected DRose as an excuse for KP NOT accepting personal responsibility. You're assuming that nothing was said to DRose and that's a valid excuse for KP not manning up to his coaches challenge. It's a WEAK argument because in fact KP is the one that still needed to step up his game regardless of what DRose did or didn't do. KP STILL needed to raise his game. PERIOD. He doesn't have to like it. KP's job is to respond with greater effort.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

8/30/2017  9:01 PM
The trolls are singing a different tune now, sounds like a new primary target is being acquired. Poor Jeff - his days as coach are numbered. Wait till every tweet on the internet about why he shouldn't have yelled at KP becomes a new thread. Same **** different target. The script for 2017-18 season is all but set. It will be Jeff's fault that Melo/THJR keep shooting and the offense doesn't flow through KP, or rather the offense doesn't flow,period. To be fai they will also blame the rookie - fire Jeff/Trade Frank. KP will let Dolan know its either him or the coach...he is learning from the best coach killer of all time.

No matter how many Coaches, GMs and Presidents are recycled through the front office for some completely "unknown" reason the dysfunction will continue.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

8/30/2017  9:04 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:No matter how many Coaches, GMs and Presidents are recycled through the front office for some completely "unknown" reason the dysfunction will continue.

I think it's time to move on from Melo as well, but being completely fair, there was dysfunction long before he got here.

GustavBahler

8/30/2017  9:14 PM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

All you're doing is obfuscating the real issue. You've selected DRose as an excuse for KP NOT accepting personal responsibility. You're assuming that nothing was said to DRose and that's a valid excuse for KP not manning up to his coaches challenge. It's a WEAK argument because in fact KP is the one that still needed to step up his game regardless of what DRose did or didn't do. KP STILL needed to raise his game. PERIOD. He doesn't have to like it. KP's job is to respond with greater effort.

You're the one who brought in the military, not I. Exactly what was KP's cardinal sin other than blowing off the exit meeting? Was he a selfish ball stopper? D he play Matador D? Was he a difficult teammate to get along with? Did he embarrass the team off the court, other than a few failed attempts at a booty call? What the hell did he do that has caused some folks to get sand in their nether regions?

You keep repeating "personal responsibility" like a mantra. Porzingis numbers got better, in spite of all the dysfunction. He held up his end of the bargain. Coaching, mgmt, thats another story.

GustavBahler

8/30/2017  9:14 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/30/2017  9:15 PM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

You're the one who brought in the military, not I. Exactly what was KP's cardinal sin other than blowing off the exit meeting? Was he a selfish ball stopper? Did he play Matador D? Was he a difficult teammate to get along with? Did he embarrass the team off the court, other than a few failed attempts at a booty call? What the hell did he do that has caused some folks to get sand in their nether regions?

You keep repeating "personal responsibility" like a mantra. Porzingis numbers got better, in spite of all the dysfunction. He held up his end of the bargain. Coaching, mgmt, thats another story.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/30/2017  9:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/30/2017  9:31 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:No matter how many Coaches, GMs and Presidents are recycled through the front office for some completely "unknown" reason the dysfunction will continue.

I think it's time to move on from Melo as well, but being completely fair, there was dysfunction long before he got here.

and it will be here long after he is gone or until dolan sells the team, or trips into a real NBA president.

Anybody thats friends with dolan, his leash will be longer than broadway

ES
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

8/30/2017  9:33 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

and it will be here long after he is gone or until dolan sells the team, or trips into a real NBA president.

Perhaps. But Dolan can't sell the team.

And Melo should still go. It isn't one or the other.

nixluva
USA
8/30/2017  9:57 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

You're the one who brought in the military, not I. Exactly what was KP's cardinal sin other than blowing off the exit meeting? Was he a selfish ball stopper? Did he play Matador D? Was he a difficult teammate to get along with? Did he embarrass the team off the court, other than a few failed attempts at a booty call? What the hell did he do that has caused some folks to get sand in their nether regions?

The Military analogy is common in sports. I don't understand why this is even a talking point. Of course it's not literally life and death but many of the concepts of sports originated with mock war and they treat Training Camp like Boot Camp. You know what the F I'm talking about. SMH.

As for why this is an issue if the stories are true, that's because KP decided to skip his Exit Meeting and then cut off communication with his Coach for an extended period. What was KP hoping to achieve with his highly publicized act of defiance? It surely wasn't to resolve his unhappiness and not become a source of controversy and embarrassment. The Manly thing to do would be to go meet with Phil and Jeff and talk it out. You can't explain your way around this fact. KP WAS WRONG!

Vecsey: Porzingis Skipped Exit Meeting Due To Feud With Hornacek

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy