8/28/2017  5:50 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:These people are under siege. This will be the worst weather disaster in modern history. I've followed this the whole time and it's just gotten worse. These people are trapped-- they needed to be evacuated.

define "worst"

Worst: highly affecting white Americans

If this storm was headed for Salt Lake City I might agree with you, not an area with one of the largest Latino communities in America. That was a stretch.

I think he was being sarcastic because of comments/conclusions made in a different thread. But in any case, have you gotten word about your family man? I didn't mean to be callous and over look your earlier post.

You may be right, but I did not get that from Briggs post.

Thanks for asking about my family NardDog, much appreciated. Heard that they were OK. They're stuck in their apt in a high rise with some friends who were flooded out of their homes, but they're safe.

blkexec lives in the Dallas area I believe, hopefully he and his family are safe, big storm.

I guess they still have power in order to communicate. That and being in a high rise must be clutch in that situation. Is it the first time they been through a storm like this?

Thanks for asking NardDog, funny you should ask. One of my relatives there was caught up in the Johnstown flood of 77'. They are elderly and one of them just got out of surgery, so Im glad they're safe.

Unfortunately these storms will only get worse. I lived in Fla for 20 years, enough to learn these storms are no joke.

Well then that's even more good news. I'm not trying to be glib but knowing what they are up against is half the battle.

My blood is spattered about the Carribean and they deal with devastating storms periodically (albeit not this bad generally), which causes me to go through the motions you're going through as well. But they know what to do and expect and make it out alright- property loss aside. I'm sure your family will be okay physically- surgery and all. Hope you guys can continue to maintain contact as well over the next few days.

AUTOADVERT
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

8/28/2017  5:55 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:I lived in Galveston during Hurricane Ike. That was one of if not the most traumatic moment of my life. The amount of water that exceeded the highest elevation point was 17". The estimates I've seen for this storm are the high 40s to low 50s. My heart really goes out to everyone. Those numbers are so much larger than the hell I experienced...

What do you recommend people do to help those dealing with the fallout from something like this? What made a difference for you in the aftermath of that storm?

NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

8/28/2017  5:57 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:I lived in Galveston during Hurricane Ike. That was one of if not the most traumatic moment of my life. The amount of water that exceeded the highest elevation point was 17". The estimates I've seen for this storm are the high 40s to low 50s. My heart really goes out to everyone. Those numbers are so much larger than the hell I experienced...

It's scary stuff. Went to school in Texas, have a lot of friends in the Houston area. Just heard back from one this morning who was telling me his truck was completely submerged in all this and likely done for. Roads completely flooded - people staying put for a good while now. It comes at you so fast.

Fortunately everyone I know down there seems to be doing ok (aside from property loss).

Hoping we can make it out of this without any more lives lost.

With flooding as bad as it is, where are people going? Did they mention anything about the quality of preparation by state to mitigate damage and loss of life?

Cartman718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1694

8/28/2017  6:17 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:These people are under siege. This will be the worst weather disaster in modern history. I've followed this the whole time and it's just gotten worse. These people are trapped-- they needed to be evacuated.

define "worst"

Omg you obnoxious loser. I haven't shot anything personal towards anyone-- but you seem to feel free to take ludicrous pop shots at me based on absolutely nothing. Don't be a dweeb-- this is a once in a multi generational storm that we have not seen and hopefully will not see again. This is affecting millions of people and really the whole US. This is not a ****ing joking matter idiot

I was only asking the question, define "worst" because of this...
http://list25.com/25-worst-natural-disasters-recorded/

Nothing political at my end, but more so a check on where you are getting the bolded part above from...?

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/28/2017  11:54 PM
smackeddog wrote:

Horrific stuff which scarily will become more wide spread in the future- I do wish climate change deniers would see sense- denying climate change makes no sense from any angle- peoples lives, ethics, our kids futures, financially

Smacked dog--north Korea shot a missile right over Japan tonight -- bringing them very close to tripping over an ending red line. You don't believe Iran or NK should pay the ultimate price for such pro active acts-- but what's happens when one of those countries hit the target? It's either ****ing stop or we will incinerate your existence. It's an us or them mentality. Did the Us or Japan shoot a precision guided missile at NK? No-- they are the ones doing it. Instead of shooting at Guam which would've brought instantaneous massive US response-- they did it to Japan-- problem is shooting at Japan is considered shooting at us!!!

RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
8/29/2017  12:00 AM
Cartman718 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

define "worst"

Omg you obnoxious loser. I haven't shot anything personal towards anyone-- but you seem to feel free to take ludicrous pop shots at me based on absolutely nothing. Don't be a dweeb-- this is a once in a multi generational storm that we have not seen and hopefully will not see again. This is affecting millions of people and really the whole US. This is not a ****ing joking matter idiot

Nothing political at my end, but more so a check on where you are getting the bolded part above from...?

eastern Texas is wiped out. This is so much worse than anyone could've imagined. I don't know how this is repaired-- as bad as anything we have ever seen
RIP Crushalot😞
smackeddog
Member: #883
8/29/2017  3:27 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Horrific stuff which scarily will become more wide spread in the future- I do wish climate change deniers would see sense- denying climate change makes no sense from any angle- peoples lives, ethics, our kids futures, financially

Smacked dog--north Korea shot a missile right over Japan tonight -- bringing them very close to tripping over an ending red line. You don't believe Iran or NK should pay the ultimate price for such pro active acts-- but what's happens when one of those countries hit the target? It's either ****ing stop or we will incinerate your existence. It's an us or them mentality. Did the Us or Japan shoot a precision guided missile at NK? No-- they are the ones doing it. Instead of shooting at Guam which would've brought instantaneous massive US response-- they did it to Japan-- problem is shooting at Japan is considered shooting at us!!!

Its called posturing. Why would they actually fire a nuclear missile at another country when it would assure their own destruction? When you can actually answer that, please get back to me.

Why is America and Israel allowed nuclear weapons because they feel safer with them but other countries aren't? The reason Iran and N Korea want them is because they think it will make America think twice about invading them or attacking them. They want them for defensive reasons, not to go on the attack (they'd never have the capacity to be able to wipe out America so as an offensive weapon they make no sense). You on the other hand seem to relish the opportunity to kill millions of people including children because you have a complete inhability to value or empathise with other races and foreign people as equal human beings) with nuclear weapons, yet you make threads calling a fictitious stabbing of someone over a hair cut as the greatest evil of modern time- you need to look at yourself in the mirror

BRIGGS
8/29/2017  8:47 AM
smackeddog wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Its called posturing. Why would they actually fire a nuclear missile at another country when it would assure their own destruction? When you can actually answer that, please get back to me.

Why is America and Israel allowed nuclear weapons because they feel safer with them but other countries aren't? The reason Iran and N Korea want them is because they think it will make America think twice about invading them or attacking them. They want them for defensive reasons, not to go on the attack (they'd never have the capacity to be able to wipe out America so as an offensive weapon they make no sense). You on the other hand seem to relish the opportunity to kill millions of people including children because you have a complete inhability to value or empathise with other races and foreign people as equal human beings) with nuclear weapons, yet you make threads calling a fictitious stabbing of someone over a hair cut as the greatest evil of modern time- you need to look at yourself in the mirror

-->Its called posturing

So shooting a long range precision guided missile capable of carrying a payload over another country is posturing? No it's not. It's a serious belligerent act and if I was Kim Jun Ung--Id make sure I slept in my under ground hiding spot. Even though Russia is BY FAR and away are most serious geopolitical threat(one that couldve been brought WAY down if we just let Trump execute what he wanted to do)Iran and NK threaten the livelihood of nations S Korea Japan Israel and the US. I think at this point--it would be wise if China and the US worked together to take out the leadership of NK. Their people already suffer--in a powerful coup I dont think collateral damage would be fierce if a strike took out Kim aggressively and quickly(with a new deal in place). If we can make a deal that N Korea stands but will relinquish its nuclear program under new leadership--China would be on board.

RIP Crushalot😞
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/29/2017  9:43 AM

My point stands. Good call posting the worst natural disasters of all time. With a body count of 5 thus far, Harvey pales.
It might be an expensive one, and lots of homes will be in need of renovation, but c'mon, worst in History?

My point is our "American First" prism does not look past ourselves.

DOn't get me wrong, this will suck for sure. Texas will need lots of federal assistance and in return will send a big Fuck you to the northern high tax states that pay in more then they take out.

smackeddog
Member: #883
8/29/2017  10:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/29/2017  10:40 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

-->Its called posturing

So shooting a long range precision guided missile capable of carrying a payload over another country is posturing? No it's not. It's a serious belligerent act and if I was Kim Jun Ung--Id make sure I slept in my under ground hiding spot. Even though Russia is BY FAR and away are most serious geopolitical threat(one that couldve been brought WAY down if we just let Trump execute what he wanted to do)Iran and NK threaten the livelihood of nations S Korea Japan Israel and the US. I think at this point--it would be wise if China and the US worked together to take out the leadership of NK. Their people already suffer--in a powerful coup I dont think collateral damage would be fierce if a strike took out Kim aggressively and quickly(with a new deal in place). If we can make a deal that N Korea stands but will relinquish its nuclear program under new leadership--China would be on board.

Of course it's posturing - if they were going to do it why wouldn't they just do it instead of telling everyone and giving them so much notice. The message is that if America attacks n Korea, north Korea can and will attack Japan. You're inciting mass murder based on your paranoid delusions and inability to empathize people in north and south Korea as human beings equal to yourself. You find this flood horrific but nuclear mass murder fine. Okay.

Imagine if Black Lives Matter called for the nuclear destruction of all white people in order to safeguard black people from future racist killings or harm. That's how out of line your position is

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

8/29/2017  3:39 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

-->Its called posturing

Let's kill everybody you don't like, such a mature, sophisticated world view. You and Trump, I can definitely see the connection.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
arkrud
Member: #995
USA
8/29/2017  5:51 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

-->Its called posturing

Let's kill everybody you don't like, such a mature, sophisticated world view. You and Trump, I can definitely see the connection.

So let somebody who don't like you kill you or other people is better solution?
I guess it is and we kind of do exactly that.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

8/29/2017  6:11 PM
arkrud wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

-->Its called posturing

So I guess when you meditate you also cannot hate people any more - but you can advocate nuking part of yourself.

Me, I meditate and in my world North Korea is a popular amusement park.

Problem solved in my reality.

BRIGGS
8/29/2017  6:23 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

-->Its called posturing

I don't see a scenario where Kim Ung survives the next 3 years. There are millions of oppressed N Koreans who if given a chance would like to join the real world. killing Kim and doing a progressive deal w N Korea where their country stands( makes China happy) and opens the country up to help their people live decent lives makes a ton of sense. Everyone wants ung dead

RIP Crushalot😞
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/29/2017  7:58 PM
a question that should be asked is whether NK would be doing any of this if someone else was president?

seems to me they are playing with trump's temperament and his zero understanding of the job.

djsunyc
8/29/2017  8:03 PM
now in terms of texas - good response but the bigger issue is not investing in trying to prevent this from happening and/or limiting the damage. we are living with engineering from a different time...things need to change but a lot of people just don't think it's worth it.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/houston-is-drowning-in-its-freedom-from-regulations/#.WaVBCgavMLY.twitter

August 28, 2017
Steve Russell
Posted with permission from Newsweek
We do value our freedom here in Texas. As I write from soggy Central Texas, the cable news is showing people floating down Buffalo Bayou on their principles, proud residents of the largest city in these United States that did not grow in accordance with zoning ordinances.

The feeling there was that persons who own real estate should be free to develop it as they wish. Houston, also known as the Bayou City, is a great location because of its access to international shipping in the Gulf of Mexico. It is not a great location for building, though, because of all its impervious cover. If water could easily sink into the ground, there would be less of it ripping down Houston’s rivers that just a week ago were overcrowded streets.

In less-free cities, the jackbooted thugs in the zoning department impose limits on the amount of impervious cover in a development. Some of the limits can be finessed by lining parking lots with bricks turned sideways, so grass can be planted in the holes.

If you meet the impervious cover standards, you still might get your entire plan chucked into the round file because some computer has determined that your business plan will attract automobile traffic in excess of the carrying capacity of nearby roads. Faceless bureaucracies have no respect for the inalienable right of every American to park his car on the public streets during rush hour.

I got snarky in the law school class where I first heard that Houston had no zoning, wishing out loud I could build a rendering plant in the so-posh River Oaks neighborhood. I was quickly slapped down by the freedom fighters in the class, who informed me that there are no rendering plants in River Oaks because the real estate costs too much. Did I not understand that the market regulates land use much more effectively than bureaucrats could?

River Oaks remains some of the most expensive real estate in the U.S., a model of what could be done with appropriate planning. Developers accomplished their ends by deed restrictions and “gentlemen’s agreements.”

Home prices were required to exceed $7,000 back in the 1920s and deed restrictions even specified allowable architectural styles. Gentlemen of the times, of course, excluded Jews and “Negroes” and similar undesirables. After Houston annexed River Oaks in 1927, the suburb became a neighborhood, but it remained a haven for swell folks as tightly regulated by custom as Houston was unregulated by law.

Impervious cover in Houston, meanwhile, has increased and continues to increase. I look at my television and see that the streets are flooded. The San Jacinto River and Buffalo Bayou are out of their banks. People are wading through waist-deep water carrying a few possessions, children and pets.

This catastrophic flooding is the result of 20 to 30 inches of rain. Adding to the water in the streets now, the Army Corps of Engineers has announced several reservoirs in the area will be opening floodgates to avoid failure of the dams, and the floodgates are expected to stay open for weeks because so much water will be coming downstream. Additionally, the National Weather Service is warning Houston to expect another 15 to 25 inches of rain.

As I write this, Hurricane Harvey is ambling off toward Louisiana, taking with him the high winds and the danger of storm surges but leaving rain and more rain. Critics in the cheap seats are complaining that Houston issued no mandatory evacuation order. That would only occur to somebody who has never sat in the parking lot that Loop 610 becomes at least twice a day when people are just going to and from work.

Putting the entire population on the roads at the same time, roads that are prone to flash floods when rains are nowhere near these historic levels, would mean not just inconvenience but fatalities. There would be at least as many rescues to be done as there are now, but they would be more dangerous rescues.

Agreeing that mandatory evacuation would have driven up the casualty numbers (currently in single digits), Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo told MSNBC that half of the population would refuse to evacuate, but enough would do so to cause massive traffic jams that would leave everyone stuck in them at extreme danger in flash floods.

Houston was built without regard for the carrying capacity of its roads, just as it was built without regulating the amount of impervious cover that would be shedding water into streets, storm sewers, rivers and Buffalo Bayou.

Texans do value their freedom.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

8/29/2017  8:58 PM
arkrud wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

-->Its called posturing

Here's an idea that's completely foreign to you. Defense is NEVER pre-emptive.

Just because your paranoia doesn't allow for any explanation that doesn't involve a foreign country attacking is next Friday, doesn't mean they are less real or can't be true. If someone attacks the US or an ally, they will do so knowing that whatever is left of us will wipe them off the fukking face of the Earth. No leader of any country is that enamoured with evaporating into nuclear waste.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Cartman718
Member: #1694

8/30/2017  1:40 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

define "worst"

eastern Texas is wiped out. This is so much worse than anyone could've imagined. I don't know how this is repaired-- as bad as anything we have ever seen

death toll right now is at 19. like i said...define worst in history.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/30/2017  1:44 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

define "worst"

death toll right now is at 19. like i said...define worst in history.

Deaths are an important factor of course, so is the scale of the disaster, the area, the cost, jobs, homes, infrastructure, lives put on hold, might make it the the most devasting in that regard.

djsunyc
8/30/2017  2:14 PM
ot Texas

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy