For Those of You Who Hadn't Seen it...
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/27/2004  1:15 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:
But although, Boozer somehow slipped under EVERYONES radar, that doesn't make it an excuse and that includes Layden. Carlos Boozer is in a different league than Frank Williams. He had the chance to be a Knick. He's not a Knick b/c we drafted Frank. Again, I love Frank, but when you are in the position the Knicks were in, you gotto go by the best players.

Frank was pretty highly touted coming out of college though...i think the Knicks had him rated just after Jay Williams that year as the best PG on the board, & they were in desperate need of a PG as well...no one could have known we'd be getting Marbury a year later...& we already have about 6 PF's on the roster already at that point, didn't we? i think most teams had Frank rated higher on their depth charts than Boozer...i can't fault Layden for that one...if you want to fault him for not drafting Boozer, you could also blame him for not drafting Amare Stoudamire as well over Nené...but he would have probably been traded for McDyess anyway, so what does it matter?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/27/2004  1:26 PM
Posted by raven:
Posted by Nalod:

My view is this team has a 70% chance of being +or- .500 ball, 15% of reaching the conf. finals or better, and a 10% chance of being a disaster (34 wins or less).

as the old saying says, there are three kind of people in this world. those who can count, and those who can't.

Ooops Ok, it was to be 75% team is better. Thanks!lol
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/27/2004  1:31 PM
Forget about the layden signings and drafts, it started with keeping Chaney, and having us believe that a full training camp was the cure.
Not to mention the raises and promotions.

He did do some good, but he never ever followed it up with complimentry players. Every move he made required one right after, which he never did.

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/27/2004  1:32 PM

It is kinda funny when Isiah is being critiqued, we bring up Laydog.

Laydog had 4 years. If you hate Isiah, give him some time!

I like the "laydog is not Bianci"!

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
8/27/2004  1:46 PM
its impossible not to bring up Layden because its his mess Isiah is cleaning up. He didnt exactly have much to work with, and people like Isles or that website who actually think tearing it down and using picks would work always conviently ignore that.

The truth is we have Houston, KVH, Shandon, Eisley, Spoon, Dikembe, Frank... alot of guys signed for 2-3 years that are virtually untradable. The only problem is that team is still deep enough to win 35-38 games in the East, so your *rebuilding* with poor quality draft picks. Your also creating an non winning joke of an environment in the media capitol of the world. Try getting FAs to sign on when your cap space finally kicks in.

But again, Isles or whoever else never address these things.

So far Isiah has done a good job with Layden's mess... we will see just how good a job next year.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/27/2004  2:03 PM
Wait, Isiah didn't have a lot to work with? Sure, only multiple #1 draft picks, promising young players that Layden aquired, about $30 million in expiring contracts and close to $200 million in additional contracts that Dolan signed off on. Aside from that, he didn't have much.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
fishmike
USA
8/27/2004  2:17 PM
here we go... when somebody talks about using such assets to aquire future players its crap, and will never be enough to win a title. But when someone says Isiah had squat to work with you say look at all these great assets. We didnt have multiple picks and promising young players. We had a PG who beat out Ward and Eisley, and we had two PFs on IR all year stuck behind 7 other PFs.
islesfan
8/27/2004  2:26 PM
Since we no longer have those assets to acquire players in the future it is crap to say that we still have the same assets to use. We don't have young promising players aside from Sweetney, we have limited use of draft picks to trade because of the 2 that went in the Marbury deal and how many more times are we going to be able to take back tens of millions in deals?

Do you really deny that Isiah had plenty to work with when he started making over the Knicks roster?
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/27/2004  3:00 PM
We don't have young promising players aside from Sweetney

What, Jamal isn't promising? Trevor? TIM THOMAS??? Nazr even has some kind of upside. He played solidly as a starter, when he first came. Stephon is even still young. Dude, I've defended you in the past, but now you are really starting to sound ridiculous.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Allanfan20
USA
8/27/2004  3:02 PM
if you want to fault him for not drafting Boozer, you could also blame him for not drafting Amare Stoudamire as well over Nené

lol, I have many times.

Again though, you make a point about Frank Williams, but there's still no excuse for Boozer slipping all the way to 35. Heck, we drafted Milos over him, didn't we?
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
fishmike
USA
8/27/2004  3:05 PM
totally deny it. What where you hoping for? KMart and Shaq?

The only difference in our expiring contracts then and now is now they actualy have some good player attached to them. Penny is a wash but Nazr and TT are productive players. The future #1 is conditional.

No matter how you look at it our roster was Ward, Eisley, Frank, Shandon, Houston, KVH, KT, McDyess, Spoon, Harrington, Deke, Lampe (IR), Sweetney (IR), Vranes (IR)
Vujanic is never coming here.

So yea... our assets were crap. You had 2 options. Try to get better players or live with late lottery picks and Anderson and Eisley playing major minutes for the next 3 years while the franchise goes so into the toilet the best FA you can sign when you actually do get cap space is someone like Eddie Robinson (ask the Bulls how cap space worked for them)

Lousy assets.
islesfan
8/27/2004  3:11 PM
If you think that multiple #1 draft picks, promising young players like Lampe, FW and Vujanic, about $30 million in expiring contracts and close to $200 million in available funds are lousy assets to work with then I guess we're better off agreeing to disagree.
nyvector16
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #130
USA
8/27/2004  3:14 PM
You have to also consider that next summer we'll have:
40 Million in expiring contracts
Picks...
And a much better season hopefully boosting the stock of some of our players who are dispensible..

Some of you especially Isles might disagree but I think we will be one of the NBA's elite teams starting in the Fall of '05...

Right now we're on the rise.. and actually have real hopes to go deep in the playoffs...
fishmike
USA
8/27/2004  3:23 PM
why are Lampe, FW and Vujanic (say it again... he's 25 and never playing in the US) more promising then Crawford, Ariza? Why is Vujanic who NEVER PLAY in the US a promising young player at 25? But you call Tim Thomas, Marbury and NAzr who are 27 (WHOOA, 2 years older!!!) garbage?

Oh wait... let me gues... has something w/ Isiah getting them.

islesfan
8/27/2004  3:52 PM
Oh look, Isiah's favorite 3 guard rotation.

I guess you're agreeing that multiple first rd picks, $30 million in expiring contracts and $200 million in additional contracts are pretty good assets since you're focusing on those 3 players.

Crawford is making $8mm a year for the next 7 years so I'd hope that he's more than potential at this point. There's absolutely no reason to believe that Ariza is better than either of those 3 guys.

I have nothing against Marbury. TT is garbage for the amount of money they pay him and Nazr is nothing but a backup at best.
Allanfan20
USA
8/27/2004  4:23 PM
If TT is garbage for his contract, then Houston is the scum of the NBA as well. (Silverfeul and Simrud, keep quiet!) Tim Thomas is still a good player, and he is saying that he's working hard this Summer. Now, my knock on him is that he's more talk than walk, so lets see what happens, but for now, I have to take his word for it.

Saying that he is garbage though is ignorant, even if it's for his contract, b/c he will be quite tradable in just about a year from now.
fishmike
USA
8/27/2004  4:30 PM
Posted by islesfan:

Oh look, Isiah's favorite 3 guard rotation.

I guess you're agreeing that multiple first rd picks, $30 million in expiring contracts and $200 million in additional contracts are pretty good assets since you're focusing on those 3 players.

Crawford is making $8mm a year for the next 7 years so I'd hope that he's more than potential at this point. There's absolutely no reason to believe that Ariza is better than either of those 3 guys.

I have nothing against Marbury. TT is garbage for the amount of money they pay him and Nazr is nothing but a backup at best.
Ariza is at least on the roster.
Crawford's contract is a gamble, but that gamble is on him becoming a superstar... a dominating 20/5 type player. The other 3 guys have barely made it in the league.

As for TT thats a good trade. Both players fill a need. Nazr is better than Doleac (nobodys calling him dominating) and Nazr had some excellent games in winning efforts down the stretch when a playoff seed was NOT a given.

TT isnt a productive as KVH but he's more proven late in games and in the post season (where KVH's post season #s show the biggest drop off of any NBA player). TT put up good numbers as a Knick despite a dreadfull start, and was a huge part in a myriad of combacks. He can also handle the ball where as KVH is good for dribbling 2 or 3 balls off his foot a game.
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
8/27/2004  4:56 PM
Isles, some of the things you say are intelligent and thought out, others it seems like you just can't agree with the crowd and have to say something different and negative.

Case in point, right here:

"If you think that multiple #1 draft picks, promising young players like Lampe, FW and Vujanic, about $30 million in expiring contracts and close to $200 million in available funds are lousy assets to work with then I guess we're better off agreeing to disagree."

Expiring contracts and draft picks are good things to deal.

Did you watch any of the Olympics? If you didn't that's fine, but I taped basically every international basketball game and watched 2 Serbian games and their US exhibition. Milos Vujanic is not good. He's not promising. He's young, but he's a guy who stays in Europe for his entire career. He isn't a particularly good shooter, doesn't set anybody up well, has spotty ballhandling, and is a horrible defender. That's what I've seen. I know you probably read the Chad Ford articles on him monthly about how he's the next coming of Pete Maravich, but he isn't. I've watched this guy IN HIS OWN GAME and he didn't play well. Now he's going to come to the NBA, with a farther 3-point line, no moving picks, and better athletes and produce. NO way, that's just you making things up.

Frank Williams was a good player, but if he evolves into anything more than a 10-point, 6 assist player I'd be shocked. He just doesn't have the physical skills (not quick, not strong) to make him a great point guard.

Lampe might be the slowest player...IN SUMMER LEAGUE. Once again, I taped the majority of the summer league games this year and last year and watched them after work. Both years he's shown the same thing. Great shooter for a guy his size, but the guy is SOOO SLOW. It's really unbelievable. He has no post moves and doesn't defend well. I see him being a bench player who can drain jumpers, kind of like a taller, less talented Kurt Thomas, or an old version of Sam Perkins.

When you trade basically expiring contracts and two busts for Marbury, you do it. 20/8 point guards don't grow on trees. I would've liked to keep one since they have high value, or one of the draft picks, regardless. It's a good move.

When you trade Frank Williams, a guy who's ceiling is probably 10 points and 6 assists, and crap, for Jamal Crawford, a player who's ceiling is probably 20 points and 5 assists, you do that.

If Isiah didn't make these moves, he'd be fired. They are furthering the franchise, upping the talent level, and making the Knicks younger, more athletic, and more competitive. How anybody could be truly against it when looking at all of this is beyond me.
#Knickstaps
fishmike
USA
8/27/2004  5:09 PM
How anybody could be truly against it when looking at all of this is beyond me.

When you blindy hate someone or share Isle's level of disgust for him its easy. You can put a negative spin on anything in life if your so motivated. Obviously he is, and until this team starts running and gunning its way to wins nobody can prove otherwise, despite the fact that they are good moves and make good basketball sense.

I think the two guys I hate most in the NBA are Phil Jackson and Larry Bird, but if either where to join the organization I would still take a wait and see approach. You just have to be patient in sports.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/27/2004  5:15 PM
Posted by islesfan:

Or Scotty Stirling.

Sterling was worse than Layden. By trading the first round pick that became Scotty Pippen for Juwan Oldham, he altered the balance of power in the NBA for over a decade.

There is no question that if Pippen had played with Ewing instead of Jordan, the Knicks would have won multiple championships.

Sterling was probably the worst GM in the history of organized sports.
For Those of You Who Hadn't Seen it...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy