Knickoftime wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:http://www.dailywire.com/news/20156/black-lives-matter-leader-pens-list-10-demands-amanda-prestigiacomo

This is why a movement loses credibility and momentum at an important time, because it gets hijacked by complete dumbass leaders like this woman.

Since Briggs clearly doesn't comprehend how he is being manipulated, I'll try you.

Is the piece a little absurd? Sure (that would be a first for something written for the Internet, that's almost as crazy as Barack Obama was born in Kenya).

But the original piece is titled "requests", not "demands", which is the mischaracterized version Briggs is familiar with. It wasn't no way in official Black Loves Matter position

He won't recognize what has occurred and how he's being used, I suspect you do.

And that's not even the the real point. Even if this mischaracterization was accurate, Briggs is ironically doing the exact same thing he's accusing her of, assuming she speaks for black people rather than just herself.

Alex Jones, Ann Coulter, Donald J. Trump, Jason Kessler ... just off the top my head these are four race baiters with credibility among tens if not hundreds of millions of white people. A woman was murdered in Charlottesville. Yet somehow an incident in a restaurant parking lot and this one's woman's Facebook post is what draws the fearful, confirmation bias attention of people like Briggs.

'Absurdly', he has outright referred to black Americans in general as complainers, hateful, scary and violent IN THIS THREAD, and a couple pages later complains this woman refers to white people "as if they were a separate species" utterly unaware of his own irony.

But yeah, this woman is the problem, and how this moment is being used to manipulate, misinform and frighten people isn't.

Let's go with that.

I want BLM to gain momentum and stuff like this can only hurt. For exactly the reasons you are pointing out, it gives Trump supporters something to rally around or a way to deflect from the core issues. This stuff is noise and what they need isn't single minded focus. What this woman did was plain stupid because now we are discussing this garbage.

Expecting purity in the internet age among members of a wide scale movement is unrealistic.

Our own president can't escape saying things that receive widespread bipartisan condemnation.

If the outlets that appeal to people of Brigg's leanings and capacity can't find obscure things in the internet to manipulate, they'all just make it up whole cloth like alledging Obama wasn't really an America and his wife is a transvesite.

It's about perspective. This thread was started by the lack of it.

People like Briggs will read your post like people like Briggs will read "both sides."

Knickstime-- I believe racism is actual "hate" towards another group or creed-- actual hate. Do uou believe that a large majority of police officers actual"hate" those from the inner city? Or is it possible and I've said this for years on this forum-- that police officers are scared of inner city violence the reality that AA are 10 x more likely to create violent crime? These cops have wife's kids families-- at the end of the day they want to come home. You don't think it's possible that their "fear" creates heightened response?

Since you asked me what I think, here's what I think:

- I think you just completely changed the subject. Your response has absolutely nothing to do with what you just responded to.

- I think you avoid questions you can't answer, like the questions I asked you last page (not even mentioning two pages ago you declared you would respond to me anymore, which you do otften)

- I think you think your belief that all black people in general are inherently violent justifies every fearful and ignorant thing that you think, which you can call whenever you like. The term is irrelevant.

- I think you justify every and all killings of unarmed black people by police officers as understandable because of the fear that you believe police officers work in, and you expect black people to understand this based on facts you misunderstand. I think because of this you think Black Lives Matter is illegitimate.

- I think you cherrypick anecdotal incidents to support your misinformed worldview (which is exactly what misinformed people do, and websites like The Daily Wire capitalize on.) You seem to find significance in what the police now believe was a homeless person attacking a white guy in a restaurant parking lot, and a relatively ridiculous (and then misrepresented) Facebook post by a black person, seem to ignore the acts and words of people like Dylan Roof, James Fields and Jason Kessler.

- Most of all, I know you're misinformed.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/12/30/507536360/number-of-police-officers-killed-by-firearms-rose-in-2016-study-finds

That's still lower than the average of the previous ten years, when total fatalities averaged just under 144 deaths per year. And it's far lower than in decades past. According to NLEOMF data, in the 1970s, an average of 231 officers died each year. In the '80s, the number who died each year never dipped below 175.

2016 was a terrible year, and included some high-profile incidents that were terrifying, horrific and inexcusable, and no increase in police fatalities no matter how small is insignificant.

That said:

- In 2017 gunfire deaths of police officers is down 19% from 2016 as of August 28, putting the year on pace to be down to historic lows again. Again, one gunfire death is tragic, but your view that police officers are at greater risk is historically inaccurate, period.

https://www.odmp.org/search/year?year=2015

- Murder and violent crime rates have risen over the last three years, and that is alarming and should not go unnoticed or on addressed.

But...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/murder-is-up-again-in-2017-but-not-as-much-as-last-year/

The national picture: We’re still near historic lows

Big cities tend to exaggerate national murder trends, both up and down — so a large rise in big-city murder usually corresponds with a slightly smaller national increase. If murder rose roughly 8 percent nationally in 2016 (as my January estimate suggests) and is set to rise a few percentage points in 2017, then the nation’s murder rate in 2017 will be roughly the same as it was in 2008. That’s still more than 40 percent lower than the country’s murder rate in the early 1990s (but roughly 27 percent higher than it was in 2014).

Ultimately, this year’s trend is similar to last year’s in that more big cities are seeing a rise in the number of murders than are seeing a decline. There are still six months left in 2017, and while anything could happen, the most likely outcome is that — although this year’s rise will likely be smaller than last year’s — the country will see murders increase for a third straight year.

If you care to delve deeper into the stats, you'll find that increase in big cities is almost directly attributable to certain neighborhoods in each of those cities, due to gang and drug related violence. Violent crime is increasing in specific pockets of this country and declining everywhere else.

For the vast population of this country, including those in the suburbs, where in fact a majority of black Americans live, you've never been safer in your lifetime and likely your parents lifetime - from crime, violent crime and murder.

- In terms of domestic terrorism, which you seem to find insignificant, there's this:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/aug/16/look-data-domestic-terrorism-and-whos-behind-it/

Briggs, you seem to demonstrate you don't have a firm grasp on the reality of what you actually live. You're view of the US has seemingly been distorted by the "news" you choose to confirm your biases, which is to a degree understandable. But at the same time you clearly do not recognize your hypocrisy, which is on full display in this thread numerous times.

If you honestly expect to have a 'open productive dialogue' with black people while you tell them you think they're all are hateful, scary, violent complainers, then you're also a dumb****.

No one is hating here--

I haven't used the word or accused you hating anyone. I've been clear - you're afraid and misinformed.

The reason why I post it is to have civil conversation about it. Im not getting personal with anyone.

You don't have conversations. You don't answer questions asked of you, you don't respond to anything on-topic, you just drive-by your latest justification for your ignorance.

Caucasians Asians and Europeans are NOT safe in inner city neighborhoods for the most part. You can disagree you can call it racist--but Im talking the truth.

Nobody in violent urban neighborhoods, this is the fact you don't seem to grasp. You're turning a gang and drug trade problem, which no one denies is a problem, into a race-on-race issue and it isn't.

Now imagine youre a police officer who has to do it every day. They are heightened nervous and their training to the alpha side makes it combustible.

Again you ignore a fact, historically speaking, police officers are killed much less often than they used to be.

And Ill throw this one out at you. If a black man has his car brake down in Lyme CT--what are the chances that they are treated friendly and safely during the incident versus a white man who breaks down in a housing project in New Haven? What is racist versus reality?

“Poverty is the parent of crime.”

Any idea who wrote that?

Yes, anyone is less safe in a densely populated area where there is poverty. It's about time you understand nobody is disputing that.
rise will likely be smaller than last year’s — the country will see murders increase for a third straight year.

Id bet a lot of money that you have almost no personal insight into hospitals and inner city police.

You'd lose a lot of money. Intelligent people don't make assumptions like that.

Im for higher wages I am for smaller government I am for the government spending to help inner cities and anywhere else that poverty stands. But there has to be a two way street--I think more effort on the part of inner city populations is needed. Mothers and Fathers need to parent better

My wife has worked at Yale New Haven for 25 years I have good friends who are police in New Haven. People need to rise up and take responsibility rather than complain about problems. Two way street. The government can help but dont rely on it. Dont join a gang dont do drugs study work hard at whatever you do. Help your neighbor be positive. Etc....

And I'll ask again, what about white people complaining about taxes, and losing manufacturing jobs, and losing their jobs it to undocumented workers, and the cost of college. What about the people who are quick to blame all the problems in the US on "liberals"?

Are you honestly suggesting the bulk of white America are deeply satisfied right now?

The Daily Wire, what you cited, is a complain and blame enterprise. Does your ethos apply to all of them as well?

What you don't seem to understand is nobody denies there's a cultural problem. Nobody is saying that should be the way of things. What you don't seem to have any empathy for is why they are, and what you clearly don't understand is cultures don't move like that. Cultures are inherited, cultures are very sticky. Cultures pass down their values and their worldviews and their expectations down to their children.

There are historical, cultural, socioeconomic forces at work here. Anyone who genuinely believes that the answer to changing cultures Is individual decision-making is ignorant of history and pretty much incapable of rational thought. It is an imbecilic suggestion.

And because I already know you're make this error, that isn't excusing, it's observing.

Your philosophy suggests the key to ending war, and terrorism and crime and poverty and self-destructive behavior is simply for people to just decide to be better people.

So why isn't that working anywhere, ever?

Can we expect white collar crimes, child abuse, domestic violence, etc. to be eradicated among white Americans during our lifetimes?

And if not, why not?

AUTOADVERT
Knickoftime
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3370

8/28/2017  6:28 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
anrst wrote:so this whole thing was BS

https://www.buzzfeed.com/nidhiprakash/this-man-says-he-was-mistaken-for-a-neo-nazi-and-stabbed?utm_term=.kjzy8nMDj#.gfj9rq4Gz

I wonder what was the description of the "suspect" he provided the police when he filed his report, lol. Evidently, Black people are so scary (like BRIGGS suggests) that they don't even need to exist to perpetuate crime.

You don't have to wonder. He told the police his fictional assailant was black.

93BUICK
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1175
USA
8/28/2017  7:03 PM
That's worse than a haircut!!! I feel bad for the suspect and the dude who made up the haircut story is seriously ****ed. I hope he serves the max for the lies he spawned.

Knickoftime wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/nidhiprakash/this-man-says-he-was-mistaken-for-a-neo-nazi-and-stabbed?utm_term=.kjzy8nMDj#.gfj9rq4Gz

I wonder what was the description of the "suspect" he provided the police when he filed his report, lol. Evidently, Black people are so scary (like BRIGGS suggests) that they don't even need to exist to perpetuate crime.

If you are still following the team and reading sites like this, there is nothing, short of your own demise, that is going to throw you off this train.
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

8/28/2017  7:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/28/2017  7:47 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

I see that now after reading the article you provided in the other thread. Though, this response was made earlier and was informed by the article arnst provided, which made no mention of the alleged perp's race. I took a stab in the dark (maybe poor choice of words, lol) and presumed Witt would've said it's a Black guy because this sort of thing has a historical context that bares itself out today. I could think of at least three instances in recent memory of "the phantom Black guy" that commits some evil act without a credible motive:

http://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-news/gbi-cop-lied-about-being-shot-black-man/S2dv4EYVbUvekaipb6VyAL/

http://fox4kc.com/2014/06/23/four-year-old-foils-babysitters-staged-home-invasion-and-robbery/

https://www.vibe.com/2017/07/texas-teen-lies-black-men-raped-her/

I know that if there is a central theme to this thread, its that making presumptions is a bad idea so I might be wrong in my own way. But I feel like this particular script has been done so many times that the details are obvious before ever being revealed.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
8/28/2017  10:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/28/2017  10:34 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:http://www.dailywire.com/news/20156/black-lives-matter-leader-pens-list-10-demands-amanda-prestigiacomo

This is why a movement loses credibility and momentum at an important time, because it gets hijacked by complete dumbass leaders like this woman.

Since Briggs clearly doesn't comprehend how he is being manipulated, I'll try you.

Is the piece a little absurd? Sure (that would be a first for something written for the Internet, that's almost as crazy as Barack Obama was born in Kenya).

But the original piece is titled "requests", not "demands", which is the mischaracterized version Briggs is familiar with. It wasn't no way in official Black Loves Matter position

And that's not even the the real point. Even if this mischaracterization was accurate, Briggs is ironically doing the exact same thing he's accusing her of, assuming she speaks for black people rather than just herself.

Alex Jones, Ann Coulter, Donald J. Trump, Jason Kessler ... just off the top my head these are four race baiters with credibility among tens if not hundreds of millions of white people. A woman was murdered in Charlottesville. Yet somehow an incident in a restaurant parking lot and this one's woman's Facebook post is what draws the fearful, confirmation bias attention of people like Briggs.

'Absurdly', he has outright referred to black Americans in general as complainers, hateful, scary and violent IN THIS THREAD, and a couple pages later complains this woman refers to white people "as if they were a separate species" utterly unaware of his own irony.

But yeah, this woman is the problem, and how this moment is being used to manipulate, misinform and frighten people isn't.

Let's go with that.

I want BLM to gain momentum and stuff like this can only hurt. For exactly the reasons you are pointing out, it gives Trump supporters something to rally around or a way to deflect from the core issues. This stuff is noise and what they need isn't single minded focus. What this woman did was plain stupid because now we are discussing this garbage.

Expecting purity in the internet age among members of a wide scale movement is unrealistic.

Our own president can't escape saying things that receive widespread bipartisan condemnation.

If the outlets that appeal to people of Brigg's leanings and capacity can't find obscure things in the internet to manipulate, they'all just make it up whole cloth like alledging Obama wasn't really an America and his wife is a transvesite.

People like Briggs will read your post like people like Briggs will read "both sides."

Knickstime-- I believe racism is actual "hate" towards another group or creed-- actual hate. Do uou believe that a large majority of police officers actual"hate" those from the inner city? Or is it possible and I've said this for years on this forum-- that police officers are scared of inner city violence the reality that AA are 10 x more likely to create violent crime? These cops have wife's kids families-- at the end of the day they want to come home. You don't think it's possible that their "fear" creates heightened response?

If being a police officer is so scary, why do it? Could it be that it really isn't all that dangerous?

Violent crime is at an all-time low in the republic and according to Labor Statistics in 2015 (from the BLS), being a carpenter is about as dangerous (in terms of work place injuries AND fatalities) as being a police officer. In fact, law enforcement does not even rank in the top 10 as far as most dangerous jobs are concerned. So if policemen are "fearful", that fear is not informed by reality.

But feel free to ignore this and continue on with your ignorance.

To add.

I don't buy into the being a police officer installs the level of fear that Briggs describes. Possibly for rookie cops, but veteran police who have some years in the game not necessarily. Then there is the aspect of power and authority that they also are able to feel. But I do feel that cops become very very cynical over time which is natural. They deal with the stupidity of people on a day to day basis. Cops aren't called for positive situations, only negative ones. That has to wear on a persons psyche after a while.

You can also notice the hypocrisy. The empathy for cops due to causation. But lack of empathy for AAs as causation is only an excuse. And police brutality isn't even just about police brutality as there are multiple layers with this thing. But also the lack of accountability in cases in which the officers were in the wrong. If an officer decides to break out of procedure in order to bust a guys balls they don't like. They are pretty much free to do so. Integrity builds trust. The relationship between law enforcement and AA community has always been fragile due to the standards of integrity not being at the level they should be for generations. Sure if everyone had integrity then there would be no need for cops. But that's not realistic. Its reasonable for us to demand more integrity from cops since they are supposed to be trained, disciplined, educated, and paid to do exactly that.

Instead
AAs need to pool money together and fix their own problems. But if they do that AAs are also being racist as they should be pooling money to help all Americans in need not just black ones.
AAs need to put more effort into their own problems in their communities like black on black violence(which there are tons of programs about these issues within the communities). But any movement that requires any type of unity among AAs is racist and divisive.

First, a little context: In the last 20 years, we’ve seen a sharp drop in homicide among blacks, from a victimization rate of 39.4 homicides per 100,000 in 1991 to a rate of roughly 20 homicides per 100,000 in 2008. Likewise, the offending rate for blacks has dropped from 51.1 offenders per 100,000 in 1991 to 24.7 offenders per 100,000 in 2008. This decrease has continued through the 2010s and is part of a larger—and largely unexplained—national drop in crime.

But while black neighborhoods are far less dangerous than they were a generation ago, black people are still concerned with victimization. Take this 2014 report from the Sentencing Project on perceptions of crime and support for punitive policies. Using data from the University of Albany’s Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics, the Sentencing Project found that—as a group—racial minorities are more likely than whites to report an “area within a mile of their home where they would be afraid to walk alone at night” (41 percent to 30 percent) and more likely to say there are certain neighborhoods they avoid, which they otherwise might want to go to (54 percent to 46 percent). And among black Americans in particular—circa 2003—“43 percent said they were ‘very satisfied’ about their physical safety in contrast to 59 percent of Hispanics, and 63 percent of whites.”

More recent data shows a similar picture. In 2012, Gallup found that, compared to the general public, blacks were more worried about “being attacked” while driving their car, more worried about being the victim of a hate crime, and—most salient for our discussion—more worried about “being murdered.” Likewise, according to a 2013 survey for NPR, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, and the Harvard School of Public Health, 26 percent of black Americans rank crime as the most important issue facing the area they live. That’s higher than the ranking for the economy (16 percent), housing (4 percent), the environment (7 percent), social issues (4 percent), and infrastructure (7 percent). And in a recently published survey for Ebony magazine and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, 13 percent rank violent crime as a top issue—which sits in the middle of the rankings—and 48 percent say that the black community is losing ground on the issue.

Finally, Atlantic Media’s “State of the City” poll—published this past summer—shows an “urban minority” class that’s worried about crime, and skeptical toward law enforcement, but eager for a greater police presence if it means less crime. Just 22 percent of respondents say they feel “very safe” walking in their neighborhoods after dark, and only 35 percent say they have “a lot” of confidence in their local police. That said, 60 percent say hiring more police would have a “major impact” on improving safety in their neighborhoods. And while “urban minority” includes a range of different groups, there’s a good chance this is representative of black opinion in some areas of high crime and victimization, given the large black presence in many American cities.

It’s important to note that this concern with crime doesn’t translate to support for punitive policies. Despite high victimization rates, black Americans are consistently opposed to harsh punishments and greater incarceration. Instead, they support more education and job training.

Beyond the data, there’s the anecdotal evidence. And in short, it’s easy to find examples of marches and demonstrations against crime. In the last four years, blacks have held community protests against violence in Chicago; New York; Newark, New Jersey; Pittsburgh; Saginaw, Michigan; and Gary, Indiana. Indeed, there’s a whole catalog of movies, albums, and sermons from a generation of directors, musicians, and religious leaders, each urging peace and order. You may not have noticed black protests against crime and violence, but that doesn’t mean they haven’t happened. Black Americans—like everyone else—are concerned with what happens in their communities, and at a certain point, pundits who insist otherwise are either lying or willfully ignorant.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/12/black_community_is_concerned_with_black_on_black_crime_suggesting_otherwise.html

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
8/28/2017  10:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/28/2017  10:31 PM
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20151201/downtown/chicagoans-actually-do-protest-violence-their-communities-all-time

Consider these examples:

When An 'Army of Moms' Took Over An Englewood Block For Months

Tamar Manasseh formed Mothers Against Senseless Killings to patrol the neighborhood after a murder in the 7500 block of South Stewart in June. In the five weeks after a man opened fire on three women on June 23, there were no shootings on the block or on the 7500 block of South Harvard where the patrols were set up, according to a DNAinfo Chicago map of shootings in the city.

"When you have sisters like sister Manasseh and others out here just participating, it makes a big difference,” said Johnny Banks, the executive director of the community organization A Knock at Midnight.

When Englewood Women Spent Their Mothers Day Speaking Out Against Violence

“Mothers are a critical, yet undervalued force of change,” said Dede Koldyke, president of EarthHeart Foundation. “We can’t rely on anyone else. So we connect, talk and tap into viable solutions to the challenges of our neighborhoods.”

When A Neighborhood Watch Turned Into Weekly Protests In Woodlawn

When Lunden Gregory was in Uptown six years ago, the sound of gunshots kept her up at night, forcing her to move to Woodlawn and South Shore before finally finding "peace" in Michigan, she said. But Gregory moved back to the city when she wanted "to no longer run from home" and "be part of the solution [instead] of running from the problem, when times get hard."

Gregory began standing on the corner with 11 other people, and soon that number tripled. Now she hosts protests on a weekly basis.

When Rogers Park Residents 'Reclaimed' Park Where Shootings Occurred

Residents united after a shooting at Leone Beach Park left two men wounded. Organizers of the event included a mother and her two young children — one of which she was forced to "lie" to after he witnessed the shooting.

The mother, Grace Husar, along with 30 other residents, gathered in the park do create art, utilize the playground, cook s'mores and symbolize they would not give up their park to violence.

When South Siders Started Using Symbolic Caskets In Protests

A South Side pastor and his supporters now use a startling but powerful symbol in their anti-violence marches through Englewood: They carry a casket.

“We don’t want any more death, we don’t want any more murders, we don’t want any more killings,” said the Rev. Dwayne Grant of Xperience Church Chicago, 6325 S. Morgan St.

When Uptown Residents 'Reclaimed' Weiss Park From Gangs

When Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. Organized During A Snow Storm

Members of the historically black fraternity joined other community leaders for a march against violence and to call for the revitalization of 79th Street, improved education in the city and to formulate an economic empowerment plan of action — in REALLY bad weather.

“Like I said before, we cannot sit back and stand on the sidelines and watch our young men destruct themselves," said the Rev. Roosevelt Watkins, also a march organizer and fraternity member. "It is important that we do our part to help our communities."

"A couple of years ago, this was a real gang-infested area. We've made a lot of strides in this area. This is a celebration [to say] we're giving it back to the the community," said Sgt. Will Lapitan of the Community Policing Unit.

The plaza, at Sheridan Road and Lawrence Avenue, has a history of gang activity and this was the perfect opportunity to "reclaim" it, Lapitan said.

Raul Montes Jr., 40, organizes a protest against violence every two weeks, everywhere from Little Village to Vittum Park. He said it takes "many, many hours" to organize the events, which include networking with local organizations and persuading people to come out.

"I like to make a difference. That's why I do it. I have a passion for it," said Montes, who works as a substitute teacher.

Montes said the people who are likely to complain about the lack of outrage are usually the ones that "won't [organize] themselves." But he agrees with the critics who believe there should be more protests so long as they're peaceful, saying they are the "right way" to fight against violence.

Martinez Sutton, who grew up at 62nd Street and Cottage Grove Avenue, said there are so many protests and neighborhood meetings that it's hard to keep up.

"It's always happening. They fight [gun violence], not only in the streets, but they're trying to get legislation passed. A lot of people think just because you don't see them in the street, they're not doing anything. But that's just not the truth at all," he said.

Sutton's younger sister, Rekia Boyd, was fatally shot by a Chicago Police officer in 2012. Following citywide headlines about the Laquan case, the Independent Police Review Authority has recommended that the officer be fired.

Despite the fact that he was personally impacted by a police shooting, Sutton sees shootings between neighborhood residents as an equally pressing issue.

"A lot of people think that it's just about police violence, when it isn't," he said. "People get shot every day in different neighborhoods. But if we can't call the police and let them know, 'Hey we're dying,' then who can we call?"

"The relationship between the police and the community can be stronger. That will, in turn, help the community be stronger, and not be scared to speak up on these issues."

Knickoftime

8/28/2017  10:49 PM
http://wtnh.com/2016/05/11/new-haven-crime-rate-on-steady-decline/

NEW HAVEN >> As 2017 begins, statistics on last year’s shootings continue to show that crime has been decreasing in New Haven since 2011 and Assistant Chief of Police Archie Generoso said it’s a result of community policing efforts.

“The difference is how we police here now, we’re doubling our community policing efforts, we’re working with all our partners to keep crime down and it’s working,” Generoso said.

The numbers of homicides, non-fatal shootings, and shots fired have been consistently lower since 2011. Generoso said the real indicator of violence is not homicides, it’s total shootings and shots fired. Records show,that between 2003 and 2012, the city we averaged 126 total shootings a year. The average from 2013 to 2016 was 63.

Programs such Project Longevity, daily intelligence meetings, CompStat, and other community policing efforts are all part of the formula that helped New Haven go from having 34 homicides in 2011, to 13 in 2016.

Brigg's New Haven police friends haven't been keeping him up on the latest it seems.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/28/2017  11:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/28/2017  11:46 PM
Knickoftime wrote:http://wtnh.com/2016/05/11/new-haven-crime-rate-on-steady-decline/

NEW HAVEN >> As 2017 begins, statistics on last year’s shootings continue to show that crime has been decreasing in New Haven since 2011 and Assistant Chief of Police Archie Generoso said it’s a result of community policing efforts.

“The difference is how we police here now, we’re doubling our community policing efforts, we’re working with all our partners to keep crime down and it’s working,” Generoso said.

The numbers of homicides, non-fatal shootings, and shots fired have been consistently lower since 2011. Generoso said the real indicator of violence is not homicides, it’s total shootings and shots fired. Records show,that between 2003 and 2012, the city we averaged 126 total shootings a year. The average from 2013 to 2016 was 63.

Programs such Project Longevity, daily intelligence meetings, CompStat, and other community policing efforts are all part of the formula that helped New Haven go from having 34 homicides in 2011, to 13 in 2016.

Brigg's New Haven police friends haven't been keeping him up on the latest it seems.

Lol so you think working in a city where 100 shooting deaths is better than 400? Knicks time this is a thought process developed over a lifetime of work. And the rookie cop to the 30 year vet are all self aware. And to answer your question on the other thread-- again you take my words out of context. I was talking about inner city people not Hispanics or Aa or any other group as a whole. White people are scared of inner city minorities and cops are 10x more heightened in their job. And you just provided an article showing why! Because they live a violent lifestyle in the inner city. My guess is that in your gates community in Long Island-- you can't really understand the sentiment. You have a self righteous belief that police must be bad-- that whites like me are a problem and that all your points are correct. You identify with inner city AA as much as a frog in Westport-- you don't . You are sitting on this forum thinking you are holier than tho and really you have jack no clue

RIP Crushalot😞
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/29/2017  12:14 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:http://wtnh.com/2016/05/11/new-haven-crime-rate-on-steady-decline/

Lol so you think working in a city where 100 shooting deaths is better than 400? Knicks time this is a thought process developed over a lifetime of work. And the rookie cop to the 30 year vet are all self aware. And to answer your question on the other thread-- again you take my words out of context. I was talking about inner city people not Hispanics or Aa or any other group as a whole. White people are scared of inner city minorities and cops are 10x more heightened in their job. And you just provided an article showing why! Because they live a violent lifestyle in the inner city. My guess is that in your gates community in Long Island-- you can't really understand the sentiment. You have a self righteous belief that police must be bad-- that whites like me are a problem and that all your points are correct. You identify with inner city AA as much as a frog in Westport-- you don't . You are sitting on this forum thinking you are holier than tho and really you have jack no clue

I'm again struck by the ease with which you say things that are pretty damned wrongheaded!

"White people are scared of inner city minorities and cops are 10x more heightened in their job. And you just provided an article showing why! Because they live a violent lifestyle in the inner city."

It's widely known that it's usually a very few people in a community that are responsible for most of the violent crime. Blanket statements about "Innercity Minorities" just isn't right. There's a certain learned fear of packs of young men in urban areas that is understandable for individual citizens but Police are prepared to deal with such situations and as such they're held to a higher standard than civilians.

Still with all the negative stereotyping you've been spewing it remains true that violent crime is on the decline! It's just a FACT.

smackeddog
Member: #883
8/29/2017  3:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/29/2017  10:36 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

Let's go with that.

Anger and hate are often secondary emotions (unless a direct response to harm), the primary emotion is often fear (and the anger and hatred a reaction to that feeling of fear) - racism is fear of other races, which often manifests itself as hatred. It leads to people then making sweeping generalisations based on those fears, which completely clouds their judgement. You are fearful (by your own admission) of "AA's" as you call them, you are also fearful of N Koreans, and people from the middle east, to the point you want to kill them all to feel safe. This is why you are racist.

Knickoftime

8/29/2017  3:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/29/2017  3:59 PM
BRIGGS wrote:

Lol so you think working in a city where 100 shooting deaths is better than 400?

Of course 100 shooting deaths is better than 400. Any idiot knows that.

But can you read?

It is 34 homicides in 2011 (which by the way is much lower than 2000 and much lower than 1990) vs 13 in 2016, Not 400 vs 100.

Even excusing your lack of reading comprehension, if you actually believed there were 426 homicides in New Haven six years ago, and didn't immediately recognize that that statistic couldn't possibly be accurate, this clearly shows you have absolutely no perspective on or understanding of New Haven.

How can anyone familiar confuse 426 homicides in a year with 34?

Violent crime is dropping nationwide precipitously (look it up) everywhere - including New Haven - everywhere but a handful of neighborhoods in St. Louis, Baltimore, Chicago and DC.

Your world view that violent crime is escalating is in fact the opposite of what's true. Police officers have never been safer, according to statistics provided by police officers.

You have a self righteous belief that police must be bad-- that whites like me are a problem and that all your points are correct.

You got one of those three things right.

I don't believe the police are bad. I think the majority of police officers are good, well-meaning people, but there are cultures within police departments that can lead to the problems that we've had.

In the same respects I think the vast majority of people, no matter what their race or ethnicity, are good well-meaning people. But within those groups are specific cultures that are too violent.

I think that most white people (like myself) are good, well-meaning people. But within that group are specific cultures that are afraid, and they let their fear breed ignorance, and yes, you have proven yourself among them.

You are sitting on this forum thinking you are holier than tho and really you have jack no clue

I can read a graph. I can understand there couldn't possibly be 400 homicides in a city the size of New Haven in one year.

Why can't you?

djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/29/2017  8:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/29/2017  8:49 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Knickstime-- I believe racism is actual "hate" towards another group or creed-- actual hate.

i'm sorry but that's how you would explain racism to a 5 year old.

hiring a white person instead of a non-white b/c you feel more comfortable with them may not be classified as hate but it's damn sure racist.

referring to one presidential candidate as a crook and untrustworthy, while never saying the opposing candidate is a crook and untrustworthy and simply saying "i disagree with some of his views" is sexist even if you may not "hate" women.

racism and sexism is some deep deep sh t. all of us have some deep feelings on this b/c we've not only been taught this but have been exposed to this almost every day and thinking it's normal. none of us are completely objective and are guilty of having these feelings.

but there needs to be a deeper understanding.

cops are afraid of african americans? why? white people are afraid of blacks? why? don't say "that's just the way it is" - why? if you believe that then are you prepared to eloquently explain why and provide evidence?

newyorknewyork
9/3/2017  11:29 AM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-eighth-officer-indicted-20170830-story.html

Sgt. Thomas Allers, 49, of Linthicum Heights, a member of the city Police Department since 1996, was arrested Wednesday on nine counts of robbery and extortion.

Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby said his arrest could lead prosecutors to drop charges against individuals he arrested.

Allers oversaw the Gun Trace Task Force, a special unit that investigated gun crimes, from 2013 until mid-2016. Seven other members of the unit were indicted in March on similar racketeering charges. They are accused of robbing people, filing false court paperwork and submitting fraudulent overtime claims.

Prosecutors allege that Allers stole more than $90,000 in a series of robberies and that one resident he stole from was subsequently shot and killed “because he could not repay a drug-related debt.”

They also allege that Allers covered for the other indicted officers by filing false incident reports and “obstructed law enforcement by alerting other members of the [gun task force] about potential investigations of their criminal conduct.”

Some of the incidents are alleged to have occurred as the U.S. Department of Justice was reviewing the Police Department’s actions and policies. Justice investigators reported last summer that city officers routinely practiced discriminatory and unconstitutional policing that included conducting unlawful stops and using excessive force, particularly in poor, predominantly black neighborhoods. The city and the Justice Department have agreed to a court-enforced consent decree that mandates sweeping reforms to policing.

The Police Department has also been dealing in recent weeks with the fallout from a series of body-camera videos that prosecutors and defense attorneys have flagged as questionable.

Defense attorneys say some of the videos appear to show officers planting drugs on criminal defendants. Police deny those accusations. Prosecutors have dropped or are reviewing hundreds of criminal cases related to the officers in those videos.

In announcing the indictment against Allers on Wednesday, Maryland U.S. Attorney Stephen M. Schenning urged the public to maintain its trust in police.

“As disheartening as the conduct outlined in this indictment may be,” he said in a statement, “the community needs to have confidence that dedicated law enforcement will not tolerate it.”

arkrud
Member: #995
USA
9/3/2017  9:18 PM
djsunyc wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Knickstime-- I believe racism is actual "hate" towards another group or creed-- actual hate.

i'm sorry but that's how you would explain racism to a 5 year old.

hiring a white person instead of a non-white b/c you feel more comfortable with them may not be classified as hate but it's damn sure racist.

referring to one presidential candidate as a crook and untrustworthy, while never saying the opposing candidate is a crook and untrustworthy and simply saying "i disagree with some of his views" is sexist even if you may not "hate" women.

racism and sexism is some deep deep sh t. all of us have some deep feelings on this b/c we've not only been taught this but have been exposed to this almost every day and thinking it's normal. none of us are completely objective and are guilty of having these feelings.

but there needs to be a deeper understanding.

cops are afraid of african americans? why? white people are afraid of blacks? why? don't say "that's just the way it is" - why? if you believe that then are you prepared to eloquently explain why and provide evidence?

When I just came to US as refuge in 1997 I was attending the English lessons in Manhattan and was renting in Brooklyn on Ocean Av between 0 and P streets.
It was some issue with the train so I stuck in Downtown Brooklyn.
I found myself at the very beginning of Ocean Av around A street.
So as coming from much smaller city in Europe I decided to walk home as I already was on my Street.
Little I knew it takes 1.5 hour to get from A to P... and between C and E the area was mostly populated by inner city AA people.
So I was walking very casually and relaxed seeing a bunch of young man gathering in from of the condos, playing music, singing, and fulling around.
No one attacked me however I saw hundreds eyes looking at me with some strange kind of interest and surprise...
When I told my relatives and friends about this they said that I should be crazy or suicidal to do this kind of things and I am alive and well probably only because this people were thinking that I am an undercover cop.
I was stupid for sure but not a racist for sure too.
Racism is not something people are coming with into this world. This is something they learn by own experience, by watching TV, talking to people, etc.
What we see on US TV is mostly negative - real and fictional crime. Not much different our days on the internet.
And guess who are the most of the criminals shown? And who are the most criminals cops are dealing with?
How many people have guts to go from A to P after they were exposed to this real and fictional reality for all their life?
Not many and so they all are... racists. Or are they?

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
9/3/2017  10:26 PM
if cops are afraid of blacks then maybe we should just fire all the white cops and just have black cops.

haven't seen too many news stories about white people getting wrongfully shot and killed by black cops.

arkrud
USA
9/4/2017  12:53 AM
djsunyc wrote:if cops are afraid of blacks then maybe we should just fire all the white cops and just have black cops.

haven't seen too many news stories about white people getting wrongfully shot and killed by black cops.

So you think black cops do not afraid... they should be.
Cop who is not afraid is dead cop.
Fire it what keep people alive.
In the war on the streets there is no race.
There are people on both sides of the law.
Race is the biggest destruction of modern America.
And more we get into it more people, any people, will suffer.
Anyone who puts another brick into the wall knows that at the end it will fall crushing down on everyone head.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/4/2017  3:24 AM
arkrud wrote:
djsunyc wrote:if cops are afraid of blacks then maybe we should just fire all the white cops and just have black cops.

Anyone who puts another brick into the wall knows that at the end it will fall crushing down on everyone head.

It's not about being "afraid" it's having Situational Awareness and Proper Proceedure. My Dad is a Retired Cop as is his Cousin. My Dad wasn't going around shooting unarmed people. Yes it's a dangerous job but it's not a TV Cop show where you're using your gun every episode!!!

The sad thing is Minority Cops still face the same Racial Prejudice and systemic Racism civilians do.
Racial issues are not the fault of minorities. That's a lie perpetuated by Racists for Hundreds of years in this country. The problem is largely one that the White Majority has refused to own and address. THAT is why it has persisted all this time!!!

newyorknewyork
9/4/2017  2:44 PM
http://projects.heraldtribune.com/bias/sentencing/

This is a must must must read.

The Herald-Tribune spent a year reviewing tens of millions of records in two state databases — one compiled by the state’s court clerks that tracks criminal cases through every stage of the justice system and the other by the Florida Department of Corrections that notes points scored by felons at sentencing.

Reporters examined more than 85,000 criminal appeals, read through boxes of court documents and crossed the state to interview more than 100 legal experts, advocates and criminal defendants.

The newspaper also built a first-of-its-kind database of Florida’s criminal judges to compare sentencing patterns based on everything from a judge's age and previous work experience to race and political affiliation.

No news organization, university or government agency has ever done such a comprehensive study of sentences handed down by individual judges on a statewide scale.

Among the findings:

• Florida’s sentencing system is broken. When defendants score the same points in the formula used to set criminal punishments — indicating they should receive equal sentences — blacks spend far longer behind bars. There is no consistency between judges in Tallahassee and those in Sarasota.

• The war on drugs exacerbates racial disparities. Police target poor black neighborhoods, funneling more minorities into the system. Once in court, judges are tougher on black drug offenders every step of the way. Nearly half the counties in Florida sentence blacks convicted of felony drug possession to more than double the time of whites, even when their backgrounds are the same.

• Florida's state courts lack diversity, and it matters when it comes to sentencing. Blacks make up 16 percent of Florida’s population and one-third of the state’s prison inmates. But fewer than 7 percent of sitting judges are black and less than half of them preside over serious felonies. White judges in Florida sentence black defendants to 20 percent more time on average for third-degree felonies. Blacks who wear the robe give more balanced punishments.

• There’s little oversight of judges in Florida. The courts keep a wealth of data on criminal defendants. So does the prison system. But no one uses the data to review racial disparities in sentencing. Judges themselves don’t know their own tendencies.

arkrud
USA
9/4/2017  4:37 PM
nixluva wrote:
arkrud wrote:

It's not about being "afraid" it's having Situational Awareness and Proper Proceedure. My Dad is a Retired Cop as is his Cousin. My Dad wasn't going around shooting unarmed people. Yes it's a dangerous job but it's not a TV Cop show where you're using your gun every episode!!!

The sad thing is Minority Cops still face the same Racial Prejudice and systemic Racism civilians do.
Racial issues are not the fault of minorities. That's a lie perpetuated by Racists for Hundreds of years in this country. The problem is largely one that the White Majority has refused to own and address. THAT is why it has persisted all this time!!!

Do you expect better results when so called "whites" will became a minority in US and Asian and Latino Americans a majority?
Will the law-enforcement and court system be more balanced? Will this new majority cops and judges treat "whites" and "blacks" the same?

BRIGGS
Member: #303
9/11/2017  12:28 AM
Knickoftime wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Gudris wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Gudris wrote:Nixluva can you explain me equality issues in todays America ?

You are genuinely clueless

Maybe, but i think in most cases AA use this to excuse themselves, lets say if my kid cant get in to University he is just stupid, if AA kid cant get in to University it is Racism :)

In your mind that's how it is, unfortunately the rest of us have to live in reality

Most Americans go about their business every day and don't give 1 iota of a fck about race issues. White people dont sit around the dinner table thinking about how to keep anyone else down. People care about their job family friends home.

Just for the record you just equated "white people" with "people".

For many "people" in this country, race is never out of the equation when they focus on job, family, friends, and home, including by the way, white people.

All this **** on news about a few thousand racists in a country of 350 mm in non issue they want to pump into issue.

Did you forget the thread - that you created - we're in?

"Seriously--if people are going to attack you based on your haircut--the world is done."

Nazis and KKK rally where a murder and attempted murder of dozens of others occurred is a "non-issue" for you.

One white guy gets attacked by one idiot is.

As always Briggs, the more you post, the more you reveal yourself.

In this US it is 100% proven that anyone from any race can become successful. Anything else is pure BS and no one is going to listen to complaining. No one is going to take blame for something that happened 50-200 years ago. I think people in general are fair and reasonable

It would be a waste of time to try to explain to you that 400 years of history (not 200) didn't magically go away with the Civil Rights act, but I will point out to you that YOU do give many iotas of a fck about race issues, and in the fact you greatly resent them.

What you're demonstrating isn't just the nasty, underbelly of racism, but narcissism as well. Recognizing institutional racism exists isn't taking responsibility or blame for it, it's simply acknowledging it exists.

Actually caring about wanting to do something about it is an advanced concept beyond on this conversation you're not ready for.

My post was about the over bearing and absurd anger that we've seen and the violence that has gone along with it. Unnecessary between parties and people.

...you have never brought up the "over bearing (sic) and absurd anger" that results in violence against Black and Brown people. And when others do, you seem to continually return to talking points indicting Black and Brown culture. Funny coincidence don't you think?

To be fair, he's not trying to obscure his position. He doesn't believe in institutional or societal racism that disproportionately affects any particular group, he believes the existence of hate groups is overblown and inconsequential, and generally speaking he thinks black people are complainers, hateful, scary and violent.

He's very upfront about all this.

http://6abc.com/brothers-arrested-for-fathers-killing-in-spring-garden/2389354/

RIP Crushalot😞
If you have to watch the way you cut your hair--this world is fckd

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy