Member: #5755

8/15/2017  6:11 PM
Nope
AUTOADVERT
RonRon
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #246
8/15/2017  7:19 PM
and who are we signing with that cap space?

only teams like Boston and Philly, if they OVERPAY GREATLY with multiple draft picks, and maybe some solid contracts would i consider doing so
I think KP will continue to improve, however, he has great work ethic but his lack of foot speed makes me question him on both OFFENSE and DEFENSE, despite his length will he ever be able to defend someone that can hit the 3pter and have the ability to penetrate? He looks like he can play the 5 better this year but we will have to see but last season i dont think he could defend either position without needing help...

Will he ever have a ceiling on DEFENSE like Greek Freak, Anthony Davis, Towns,

even Durant etc?

i do not know if we have the ability to resign in 2years as a RFA, him to those super max deals with 150million for 5 years *and could be MORE if he becomes a NBA 1st, 2nd, 3rd team*

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/15/2017  7:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/15/2017  7:21 PM
RonRon wrote:and who are we signing with that cap space?

only teams like Boston and Philly, if they OVERPAY GREATLY with multiple draft picks, and maybe some solid contracts would i consider doing so
I think KP will continue to improve, however, he has great work ethic but his lack of foot speed makes me question him on both OFFENSE and DEFENSE, despite his length will he ever be able to defend someone that can hit the 3pter and have the ability to penetrate? He looks like he can play the 5 better this year but we will have to see but last season i dont think he could defend either position without needing help...

even Durant etc?

i do not know if we have the ability to resign in 2years as a RFA, him to those super max deals with 150million for 5 years *and could be MORE if he becomes a NBA 1st, 2nd, 3rd team*

Please dont tell me that a 7'3 center who can crossover guards lacks foot speed.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/15/2017  8:19 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

even Durant etc?

Please dont tell me that a 7'3 center who can crossover guards lacks foot speed.

It's not his foot speed that I'm concerned about, It's his awareness and development under the knicks management. Players don't seem to get much better in NY, especially young players.

ES
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/15/2017  9:15 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:I wonder if the 'continued distance' between the club and KP is Rambis is still on staff.

No, the "continued distance" is pure speculation on the part of the writer or other NBA teams that want to put a wedge between player and team to their advantage.

If the Cavs already made it public that they want a young star, all the righter hast to is looked at the teams Irving pick and then put that youngs stars name out there as a player the cavs would be most interested in.

Woj wrote about 'the distance' between KP and the Knicks in his article. I hadn't read the Post article until just now. I think Martin is right but Woj writing this holds a bit more weight because of who he is.

WOJ is part of ESPN now and I've felt a shift in his style of writing, dancing in the grey areas much more with pure speculation and much less journalistic integrity.

This Irving trade process has been deliberate, and teams believe that the Cavaliers expect more aggressive conversations in September, closer to the start of training camps. Porzingis has emerged as a primary Cleveland target, but that's a conversation that can occur only with Cleveland's willingness to unburden the Knicks of the three years and $55 million left on Joakim Noah's contract. For now, the conversation is a nonstarter for the Knicks, league sources said.

For the right All-Star player, though -- Irving or otherwise -- multiple NBA teams are seriously questioning how emphatic of a "no" that will stay for New York. There continues to be distance between Porzingis and the organization, and how the Knicks truly value Porzingis' future could become clearer once they're together to begin the season.

The bolded can be said about almost any player and organization that had a spat at one time or another for the purpose of putting sentences to a thought that may not really be the thoughts of the organization or the player but rather of the author.

I agree about Woj changing. Does espn mess up everything they touch?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ESPN has it to throw around. Most likely his contract has a TON of stipulations about clicks and no doubt in my mind that WOJ will get extra payouts if he hits certain marks. I have zero doubt on this without any evidence. But you can sense and see it in his writing and I would keep an eye on it.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/15/2017  9:43 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

even Durant etc?

It's not his foot speed that I'm concerned about, It's his awareness and development under the knicks management. Players don't seem to get much better in NY, especially young players.

This is a bit too much IMO. We saw some improvement by different players over the last couple of years. KP, Willy, Baker, Holiday and LT in particular played better. The team is focused on developing youth and the team has a lot of young players on the roster and probably will have more if they make the Melo trade.
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

8/15/2017  9:46 PM
The knicks were a certified dumpster fire prior to getting rid of Phil....Woj article speaks to that time and not the new regime unless there are concerns......
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

8/15/2017  10:38 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Woj wrote about 'the distance' between KP and the Knicks in his article. I hadn't read the Post article until just now. I think Martin is right but Woj writing this holds a bit more weight because of who he is.

It's less about Woj and his "WojBombs" and more about his clear and established relationship with Zinger's representation, ASM Sports. Woj is a mouthpiece using his influence to try to drive a trade for a reason.

Long story short - Zinger does not want to be a Knick. Gutting Jackson wasn't going to create any traction in that regard.

If the Knicks can trade Zinger and dump Noah's contract at the same time and get Irving, I say do it. Do it and let Irving drive some marketing for the team for a short while and then first chance, retrade him. It's not about keeping Irving, it's about value. Irving is more valuable than Zinger in a trade right now, but because of the circumstances, his trade value is a bit tanked.

If Zinger doesn't want to be here, then the Knicks are better off just rebooting. If they can dump Noah, then dump him in a trade with Zinger. Maybe they can move Courtney Lee and be done with it for the most part. The cap space can be used like the Nets to essentially rent the space for young players or picks. Before the market collapses on teams with open cap space.

Is it the ideal option? No.

But if Zinger doesn't want to be here, and that's the base indication, then make the best of it.

I don't think the Cavs take Noah's contract though. In order to make a deal like this, they need to move Tristan Thompson and/or Kevin Love for more wing help. Not sure that's feasible now. Zinger is a PF. Love is a PF. Thompson is PF. Only Zinger out of those three can actually defend the rim ( well sort of) To take in Zinger, the Cavs need to unclog the PF situation.

If it was just Zinger and something like Lee/O'Quinn for Irving to make the salaries match, then do it. Do it and don't look back. Retrade value of Irving is going to be a more highball potential than Zinger. I realize most people here won't agree with that, but teams are going to look at Irving's marketing and "draw" potential, plus his relationship with Nike in terms of franchise overall valuation.

Same rules apply to any "marriage" out there. No matter how hot she is, if she's blowing some other dude besides you, that ring means nothing.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

8/16/2017  6:39 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/16/2017  6:48 AM
I think we should aim for what Phil was for if we ever decide to trade Porzingis.

Top 5 lottery pick.
2 starters.

We can probably get it. But if we're going to trade him, we need to do it now when his value is at it's peak. Once players go into their third years, and finish them, you start to look at contract extensions at the max and all that. Porzingis has more value right now than he ever may even show to be worth. If we are not behind him, we should move him. Right now most teams still believe Porzingis will be a 8+ time all-star and a franchise player. If he doesn't improve much after year 3, we are now not getting even close to what we could right now. So if we don't really believe he will be a 8+ time all-star and franchise player, we should cash in now and move forward. I think what Phil was doing was absolutely right. He was weighing what Porzingis was really worth and seeing if he had more value to the org. as a player or as a trade asset. I don't think Dolan has any idea how to run a basketball team or what a great mind would see. There are real risks with keeping Porzingis (injuries being number 1). At the same time, you have to just love the kid. How unique his talent is. His work ethic. His production is really good for a 2 year player. If he stays healthy, works hard, I see a franchise player. Will he? Will his brothers and camp allow him to stay the same or will he become Melo 2.0? I am not close enough to the situation to know.

But no I would not move him for Irving or anything less than what we were looking for at draft time. I stretch Noah out after the next season is over. Right now we need a player like Noah to back up Willy and KP. We need a defensive big. We need a veteran that can show the 21 and 22 year old players how to defend and play a physical style. Noah's been in many tough battles and playoff games. He can teach many things to Willy and KP. I don't mind keeping him another season. It's not like we were going to sign some great player in his place by not having his salary on the books. Knicks had to overpay Timmy by 20 million to get him.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

8/16/2017  6:42 AM
As for Noah, I'd let him play this coming season. Lets see how he does and what his influence is on our bigs.
At end of year 2 we can stretch out his contract over 5 years. The cap hit would be uner $8M a year, which would actually open up massive capspace for the 2018 offseason, especially if Melo is off the books as well.
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

8/16/2017  8:22 AM
GustavBahler wrote:

even Durant etc?

I think he means lack of foot speed to play PF. Willy and KP upfront together could be an issue guarding teams in the 4-1. The other issue is Noah who doesnt compliment them at all upfront. If the Knicks are going to play both Willy and KP upfront they ave to get plus defenders at guard and on the wing. It actually looks like they recognize that fact by drafting Frank, targeting Harkless in the Melo proposed trades, and signing Hardaway Jr. as long as he plays like he did in Atlanta.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
knicks1248
8/16/2017  8:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/16/2017  9:47 AM
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

even Durant etc?

This is a bit too much IMO. We saw some improvement by different players over the last couple of years. KP, Willy, Baker, Holiday and LT in particular played better. The team is focused on developing youth and the team has a lot of young players on the roster and probably will have more if they make the Melo trade.

get better how?

Aside from kp, none of those players were here for more than a 1 yr so how in the world you can say they got better. I'm talking about landry fields, tony douglas, Wilson chandler, thj, even nate and lee, whose games got better offensively, but still remain a major liability defensively.

Why you think we always end up trading them, they never became game changers. We have sucked at developing players and you know it, and the current coaching staff has zero history of turning boys to men.

keep in mind that kP's biggest issue was with JH and rambis, not so much phil.

development would involve Kp learning not to fall for fakes and jumping to block a shot from a player 6 inches shorter, something he did from the beginning of the season, to his last game of the season..wTF was RAMBis teaching him

ES
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/16/2017  9:05 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/16/2017  9:05 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Woj wrote about 'the distance' between KP and the Knicks in his article. I hadn't read the Post article until just now. I think Martin is right but Woj writing this holds a bit more weight because of who he is.

It's less about Woj and his "WojBombs" and more about his clear and established relationship with Zinger's representation, ASM Sports. Woj is a mouthpiece using his influence to try to drive a trade for a reason.

Long story short - Zinger does not want to be a Knick. Gutting Jackson wasn't going to create any traction in that regard.

If the Knicks can trade Zinger and dump Noah's contract at the same time and get Irving, I say do it. Do it and let Irving drive some marketing for the team for a short while and then first chance, retrade him. It's not about keeping Irving, it's about value. Irving is more valuable than Zinger in a trade right now, but because of the circumstances, his trade value is a bit tanked.

If Zinger doesn't want to be here, then the Knicks are better off just rebooting. If they can dump Noah, then dump him in a trade with Zinger. Maybe they can move Courtney Lee and be done with it for the most part. The cap space can be used like the Nets to essentially rent the space for young players or picks. Before the market collapses on teams with open cap space.

Is it the ideal option? No.

But if Zinger doesn't want to be here, and that's the base indication, then make the best of it.

I don't think the Cavs take Noah's contract though. In order to make a deal like this, they need to move Tristan Thompson and/or Kevin Love for more wing help. Not sure that's feasible now. Zinger is a PF. Love is a PF. Thompson is PF. Only Zinger out of those three can actually defend the rim ( well sort of) To take in Zinger, the Cavs need to unclog the PF situation.

If it was just Zinger and something like Lee/O'Quinn for Irving to make the salaries match, then do it. Do it and don't look back. Retrade value of Irving is going to be a more highball potential than Zinger. I realize most people here won't agree with that, but teams are going to look at Irving's marketing and "draw" potential, plus his relationship with Nike in terms of franchise overall valuation.

Same rules apply to any "marriage" out there. No matter how hot she is, if she's blowing some other dude besides you, that ring means nothing.

Why do you believe Porzingis doesn't want to be a Knick, when he constantly says he wants to be a Knick for life? WHat's your agenda here?
jazz74
Member: #371
8/16/2017  9:56 AM
well, it deserves consideration if you think about it.

pros- we will get back cap flexibility that was lost with the deal with noah and thj. the Carmelo situation could become better as he can be a better partner with irving than porzingis which could either build up his stock or we could try to compete with melo during his later years. with the cap flexibility we could do so as more free agents could look at ny as a legit destination especially in the east with only boston as a strong favorite after next year. perry is our best recruiter in years and he could reel in the "big fish". we also get a bonafide superstar ( arguably) and definite top 15 player ( some say top ten) and get rid of a player with potential but has been injured the past two years before reaching it. could this be a constant problem? what if porzingis become a bust once he is handed the "keys" to the franchise? this could be his highest value. we need to stay on the train or get off. the time is now.

cons- we get rid of possibly future top ten player in the league with a skill set that the franchise have never seen before. with the right player development ( which was probably why it was revamped this off season), he could be a perennial all nba team candidate. if we get irving, can he lead this team to the playoffs? it might be harder to make a team around his playing style also. the youth on our team will be on a different trajectory so they might get traded. it would be more of a "now" team than a future team. also, should we try for now when we know that we can not make a team that can compete with the likes of the warriors or Houston? is it better to build a team to compete to go against boston in a few years than the warriors of now? the cap room is good but we really haven't delivered since 2010. when we did go all in in free agency it becomes a big disappointment.

looking at both sides, I would still hold on to porzingis. I love the youth movement and I want to see porzingis grow into the superstar that he should be. it is intriguing having a sixers lite team also, a group that can grow together and getting better every season. that was what golden state did.

Gudris
Member: #6213

8/16/2017  10:17 AM
Finding point guard is much easier than skilled 7»3 player
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/16/2017  11:15 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

even Durant etc?

get better how?

Aside from kp, none of those players were here for more than a 1 yr so how in the world you can say they got better. I'm talking about landry fields, tony douglas, Wilson chandler, thj, even nate and lee, whose games got better offensively, but still remain a major liability defensively.

Why you think we always end up trading them, they never became game changers. We have sucked at developing players and you know it, and the current coaching staff has zero history of turning boys to men.

keep in mind that kP's biggest issue was with JH and rambis, not so much phil.

development would involve Kp learning not to fall for fakes and jumping to block a shot from a player 6 inches shorter, something he did from the beginning of the season, to his last game of the season..wTF was RAMBis teaching him

From the start of the year to the end the players got better. It's all relative to starting point and end point. You can't MAGICALLY make a player more talented. You can only enhance what the player already has and of course a lot depends on the players work ethic and desire to get better.

The past trades have nothing to do with the current young players on the roster. KP is training on his own this summer and so the Knicks aren't controlling his current offseason program. Willy is also training on his own, tho we don't know if he was given certain instructions at his exit meeting. However, Baker and many of the other young players are in New York.

You really need to keep in perspective that young players make mistakes. You want to blame Rambis or Jeff for KP falling for pump fakes. But you really ignored that KP came back BETTER at the start of the year, got injured and fell off but was actually starting to get his game back at the end of the year before he tweaked his back.

Kristaps Porzingis
By Month GP MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
October 2 34.5 6.0-12.0 .500 2.0-4.5 .444 4.5-7.0 .643 2.0 4.0 6.0 1.0 1.5 0.5 5.0 1.0 18.5
November 16 33.8 8.1-16.6 .491 2.4-5.9 .400 3.1-3.8 .820 1.8 5.5 7.3 1.4 1.5 0.8 3.6 1.4 21.8
December 14 35.9 6.6-16.4 .402 1.9-4.6 .400 3.5-4.4 .790 1.9 6.9 8.8 1.4 2.4 0.9 3.6 2.2 18.5
January 10 29.0 5.4-11.9 .454 1.2-4.1 .293 1.9-2.1 .905 1.1 3.2 4.3 1.2 2.0 0.5 4.5 2.0 13.9
February 8 29.1 5.5-13.1 .419 1.6-4.5 .361 2.8-4.0 .688 1.6 5.6 7.3 1.3 2.0 0.8 3.4 1.8 15.4
March 15 33.4 7.0-15.5 .451 1.3-4.5 .279 3.1-3.9 .810 1.9 6.2 8.1 2.1 2.1 0.7 3.6 1.9 18.4
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/16/2017  12:19 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

even Durant etc?

Why is that? Multiple coaching regimes? GM's? Presidents? Why is that??
Is it a genetic predisposition? Something about the Water?
Why is that??
And if you were to make a change, what would you different to make it so?
I mean according to you, we are doomed because so some hereditary condition!

We discuss these things ad-nauseam and yet you have no inclination that any change in the decision making process has any effect in time.
You believe in voodoo? Some knick Curse?

knicks1248
8/16/2017  2:06 PM
Gudris wrote:Finding point guard is much easier than skilled 7»3 player

Then why have we had just 1(lin's brief stint) in the last 20 yrs

ES
knicks1248
8/16/2017  2:10 PM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

even Durant etc?

Why is that? Multiple coaching regimes? GM's? Presidents? Why is that??
Is it a genetic predisposition? Something about the Water?
Why is that??
And if you were to make a change, what would you different to make it so?
I mean according to you, we are doomed because so some hereditary condition!

We discuss these things ad-nauseam and yet you have no inclination that any change in the decision making process has any effect in time.
You believe in voodoo? Some knick Curse?

Nolad, nothing will change unless changing those who are in charge of making that change.

I like the perry signing, but mills and rambis have to go

ES
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

8/16/2017  3:25 PM
Noah's contract is NOT a HUGE deal for a team in our situation who is basically looking to develop young players and who may actually prefer a poor record.

ZERO incentive to move KP for purpose of moving Noah deal.

Only KP deal I had interest in was when Boston had opportunity to draft J-Jackson at #3 and send him to us with potentially Crowder/Rozier and 2018 Net or Laker pick.

Outside of that type deal -- dealing KP for sub 6', often injured, shoot-1st pass 2nd, +25 year old Kyrie -- makes no sense IMO.

Would you sacrifice KP to get rid of Noah

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy