[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Superstar.......Yes you are?
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/14/2017  12:57 PM

Funny, By this definition "Lil' Penny" was a superstar, but not Anfernee Hardaway?
Carmelo Anthony is HOF bound, but "uneven" when measured by playoff success. Seemingly "Melo" has had superstar cred.
In my view Kawhi was the MVP as he was the clearly the best player on a team that won 61 games. Do they win that much without him?
Westbrook is a "superstar", he had an epic indvidual season on at team that won 47 games. No doubt without him they don't win that much, but to what degree?
Harden's rockets won 55 games.
Oscar in the year he won his MVP which set the Double Double bar Westbrook eclipsed, the Royals won 55 games. IN a 9 team league Knicks had worst record with 22 wins in an 80 game season.

Should wins matter? How does Leborn only have 4 MVP's in this era?
Do we agree with Penny's assertions of "Superstar"? Was Timmy Duncan a superstar? He did a few commercials but was not interested in being the face of the league.

AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/14/2017  3:07 PM
I get what he's saying but he's arrogant athlete so it comes of that way....

We know what Kawhi is.... he's a champion and a bad mother****er on both ends of the ball. He's not selling products, so he's not a superstar

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
8/14/2017  4:05 PM
Thank you for bringing this up for discussion. Certainly NBA is a superstar driven league but there isn't a set in stone clear definition of the term. Perhaps one is due and here on UK it wouldn't be the first time when a term sparks an debate and another vocabulary word is minted.

We did briefly touch up on this about 7 years ago when Melo trade was being worked on. However I am not 100% on which position I held at the time about him. I am pretty sure I said he was a star but not a superstar. Now if I could only find that elusive search feature. . . Anyway my reasoning at the time( and I do hope my memory is not failing me) was that Lebron was a superstar and Melo wasn't. Lebron took a team of scrubs to the finals pretty much from the get go. Timmy D was a superstar because his team won the ring his rookie year( yea I know that team was stacked but still) We all know Melos accolades in this regard, and it has only gone downhill from that point.

So in my humble opinion a superstar is someone who moves the needle for his team to the greatest extent. Yes, MVP is required and so is a ring. So to name a few obvious superstars without going for the most obvious One Superstar( I think everyone knows who that is) in no particular order: Dirk, Timmy, Lebron, Shaq , Kobe, Hakeem. Now here are some almost superstars Iverson, Barkley, David Robinson, Durant , Yao and :tear: Ewing.

Sneaker sellers, brand holders and all the other digital athletes are not a part of the equation. After one becomes a superstar all those things might come with the territory but most definitely not the other way around.

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
8/14/2017  10:25 PM
Superstar shines... You do not need any arguments to defend the superstar status.
If arguments are required - the one in question is not a superstar.
Player can be famous, can have achievements and accolades but not viewed as superstar.
Melo is great scorer, philanthropist, businessmen, celebrity but not a superstar.
He never had what it takes or choose not to sacrifice this other sure things above.
Nothing wrong about it. May be he choose the very best path for himself.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

8/15/2017  1:00 AM
Nalod wrote:Should wins matter?

My guess is, and it's just my perception here, that Penny Hardaway is discussing an aspect of a player's "Q Rating" in which part of the metrics used determines the franchise's net worth under the scenario that you leave your current franchise. Also the flip side, what would the net work increase be for your destination franchise.

For example. If Russell Westbrook took free agency the very first chance he got, and signed with the Atlanta Hawks, the actual overall value of the franchise in a tangible sense would increase. The overall value of the Thunder would tank.

If the Hawks were put on the sale block, with Westbrook on the roster, prospect buyers would get into a bidding war, because Westbrook provides instant marketing and a player to build the franchise around from a business perspective.

Personally I think Westbrook is a very talented but actually a pretty deficient overall player. Can he help his team win? Yes. But there are other elements to his game that are really limiting in terms of getting his team to contend.

In my mind, franchise player = Player you can build around to try to contend
And
Superstar player = Player whom operationally skyrockets or tanks your overall franchise resale price depending on if he stays or goes

Steve Ballmer paid two billion. TWO BILLION. For the Clippers. He's not paying that much if Chris Paul, but esp Blake Griffin are not there.

LeBron James. Kevin Durant. Russell Westbrook. Blake Griffin.

I know people are going to say how does Griffin make this list but not Steph Curry. Curry and guys like Harden don't likely have the same international appeal and don't hit the highlight reels enough.

I think people forget how marketable Michal Vick was, even though he was actually a pretty flawed quarterback. Vick in his prime going to another franchise would spike the value. It would have also sunk the Falcons value.

LBJ is probably the most extreme case. One could argue that his return to the Cavs was worth a couple of billion to the franchise.

Do wins and rings have something to do with it? To some degree. But Blake Griffin could never win a ring and still would have a major marketing impact to a franchise's value.

The most interesting case in the modern era would probably be Grant Hill. Came from a good school. Stable parents. Semi famous wife. Good looking guy. Handled the media well. Success at all levels. Hill, if he wanted to be that kind of player, could have been a perennial highlight player. But he played a much more organic team type of ball. He's the most interesting case of a player who could have been a "superstar" but simply chose to play and act a different way.

I don't think Penny Hardaway is totally off base, but like most former players, he's going to be quoted out of context and he didn't make himself clear enough. ( He's always been sort of an idiot in that regard, not as dumb as Chris Webber, but maybe close)

Paris907
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6099
USA
8/15/2017  6:47 AM
Penny makes sense particularly in a media age when self aggrandizement matters. Russ is a fashion hound off season if I recall and Melo has his brand. ("The new age thinking man, no doubt") Yet the "real" fans, Duncan was the real deal as is Leonard (just ask MJ). Getting to the Finals matters as that is where excellence and cameras and media raise their game and Melo is someone's superstar but he's not mine. Taking over the game in the 4th Quarter in the
Finals is where superstars are made.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/15/2017  8:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/15/2017  8:53 AM
Penny walked back those comments big time, not long after that. I believe he was conflating Leonard's superstar skills, with the glitz that usually accompanies being a superstar.

Leonard is a superstar, he just doesnt carry himself like one. I respect that.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
8/15/2017  9:56 AM
Penny like a lot of people here like to be told who the superstar is through endorsements and commercials. Some make the difference whether a player is a superstar on the court some need the attention to be considered a superstar.
doomed
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1078
USA
8/17/2017  12:02 AM
Penny makes some sense? No he doesn't. He's talking nonsense and blurring the lines between on the court ability and off the court marketability . Uh penny there's a frickin difference. A BIG difference. Leonard is one of the best basketball players on the planet. One could argue he's the second best player on the planet.

Why are we even discussing penny hardaway? Oh because he said something stupid. Cool.

Nalod
USA
8/17/2017  9:08 AM
We not talking Penny, we talking about his statement.
To me in age of fabricated celerbrity we certainly can say there are Kardashians that are bigger "stars" than many very talented entertainers.
Thus its the level of motivation that a player might want to seek out the public adulation and the perks that come with that. On the other hand there are those that are not wired that way and just want to keep a low profile. Penny is a guy that was propelled by a genius promotion of 'littl Penny". Funny, I cannot recall the product? Was it nike??? Little Penny was far more popular than Anfernee was!!!
ramtour420
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
8/17/2017  10:13 AM
So marketability vs on court performance is it? It's the same argument of a Big Mac vs a BBQ hamburger cooked by your prodigy of a relative. Yes the latter tastes better without the glucanate but the former is a product of a system that is designed to sell. Which one do you fancy? That's the real question!

I for one do not subscribe to the notion that the term superstar should be superficial.

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
Nalod
USA
8/17/2017  11:27 AM
Its funny because Anfernee was a pretty laid back guy and they used the doll, with Chris Rock to be his voice.
It was briliant!

Charisma is what I think is being discussed. Charles barkley had it on and off the court. Kobe had it.
Jordans game and winning spoke loud. But Jordan charisma was really born off his on court performance and arrogance. Barkley talked about things outside of basketball, Jordan really didn't.
Lebron is not the sharpest crayon in the box, but he is more engaging and does speak his mind.
Clyde was visually charismatic in his playing days with few TV commercials but more print ads were his handsome looks and style was promoted. "Clyde was cool". When he speaks, he is not nearly as cool.
Ewing was reluctant but was ambitious. He wanted the fame but wanted his privacy too.

Superstar.......Yes you are?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy