USA
8/8/2017  4:29 PM
This is some positive news.
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
8/8/2017  4:30 PM
JamaicanJetFan wrote:This is some positive news.

They also hired another scout and are signing Beasley. Lots of stuff happening today.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
USA
8/8/2017  4:33 PM
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
8/8/2017  4:42 PM
....and the huge story of the day that no media outlet will cover....for some reason we wouldn't let David Griffin pick his own front office but we let Perry do it. Real reason Griffin didn't come here: He wanted full autonomy and didn't want to answer to anyone.
~You can't run from who you are.~
CrushAlot
USA
8/8/2017  4:45 PM
joec32033 wrote:....and the huge story of the day that no media outlet will cover....for some reason we wouldn't let David Griffin pick his own front office but we let Perry do it. Real reason Griffin didn't come here: He wanted full autonomy and didn't want to answer to anyone.

Perry has brought in his own team but no one has been let go from past administrations. Knicks might have front office positions like coffee club president with so many execs.
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/8/2017  4:48 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
joec32033 wrote:....and the huge story of the day that no media outlet will cover....for some reason we wouldn't let David Griffin pick his own front office but we let Perry do it. Real reason Griffin didn't come here: He wanted full autonomy and didn't want to answer to anyone.

Perry has brought in his own team but no one has been let go from past administrations. Knicks might have front office positions like coffee club president with so many execs.

when does rambis join phil

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/8/2017  4:52 PM
http://www.nba.com/knicks/knicks-announce-front-office-hirings

Glad Gaines is staying. he is listed as a Vice president/Director of player personal.
Titles can be misleading. Bottom line is you got a rep, got a contract, and want to stay with team.
Levels of contribution are fed to us via media so its hard to really know who gets all the cred.
I think Gaines was tight with PHil for many years. When you read his bio you might get the sense this guy not a corp. type.
http://www.nba.com/knicks/clarence-gaines-jr
He has been based in California the whole time, invests for himself, and likley does this seasonally. I think phil trusted him to really get into watching a few guys and had "simpatico" with him.
Its not like the guy is a "scout savant gun for hire type". We no doubt have built him up. His resume does not mention working for any other team but bulls and Knicks. I thought he would have had some role with the Lakers.
Knicks usually honor contracts but I would not expect him to stay on long term given his field of interests and perhaps disinterest. Im just guessing. Personally I hope he can be "Star scout" for us but seems asif he was lured back to NBA because of Phil. Maybe even Money???

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/8/2017  4:57 PM

I believe that Mills didn't want to have himself surgically removed from any credit for roster moves should the Knicks do well. Wants to be known as more than a pencil pusher. So far it looks like Mills is rubber stamping Perry's decisions, as he would have if Griffin was hired.
knicks1248
Member: #582
8/8/2017  5:04 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

I believe that Mills didn't want to have himself surgically removed from any credit for roster moves should the Knicks do well. Wants to be known as more than a pencil pusher. So far it looks like Mills is rubber stamping Perry's decisions, as he would have if Griffin was hired.

wasn't mills part of the hiring process, he's going to hire a guy to do the job is be wanting prior to phil

ES
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/8/2017  5:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/8/2017  5:14 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

wasn't mills part of the hiring process, he's going to hire a guy to do the job is be wanting prior to phil

Yes he was, and I believe Mills wants to be known for more than that. If I hadn't already seen what Mills has and hasn't done with the Knicks in his almost two decades with the team, I would probably be more understanding. Dont see anything in his background that would make him a better decision maker than Griffin. One of them has a track record going back before the Cavs.

I do believe that under the circumstances that Perry is an inspired hire, if Mills doesn't interfere. So far it looks like he is letting Perry do his this thing.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
8/8/2017  5:28 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

He either isnt viewed as the problem he has been made out to be by the coaching staff. Or they are taking their time as to not be disrespectful making him a scapegoat.

And it should be up to Jeff to make that call. Which is what you proclaimed when bashing Phil for meddling. What if Jeff actually liked Rambis? What if he wasn't just forced on him by Phil and underminded him at every turn?

Mind blown! This would probably make Jeff an idiot if the case I bet.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
8/8/2017  5:30 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Viewing other teams front office looking for someone for the Knicks. A lot of teams have people in these same type of positions for their club. Don't know if it translates to results though.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Gudris
Member: #6213

8/8/2017  5:38 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

We need Rambis for triangle schemes

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

8/8/2017  5:41 PM
Like Gaines...glad he is in our scouting mix.

You want as many good people in the mix as possible.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
8/8/2017  5:46 PM
I am liking the direction so far. Looks like mills learned from other peoples mistakes. Surrounding himself with basketball people
CrushAlot
USA
8/8/2017  5:58 PM
Gudris wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

We need Rambis for triangle schemes

I believe Rambis was part of a coaching clinic during one of the summer leagues and he did present on the triangle offense. I am not sure why he is still on staff. Woj reported he is not well liked by the players. It seems like if you are trying to bring back harmony to a locker room you would move on from an assistant like Kurt. I don't think there s anything in his resume that makes him worth the potential animosity his presence will bring if he is still on staff. I think Jeff has his work cut out for him winning the players trust after last year. I think Kurt makes that job much harder.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/8/2017  6:28 PM
IMO this is an excellent move. Gaines seems to have hit it off with Mills. It's possible that Gaines and Mills likely worked more closely together when they went to scout foreign players. They looked extremely chummy at the Summer League.

The Rambis thing is really up to Jeff. If he feels Rambis helps him do his job then that's all we need to know. KP is happy again and that means only Melo has any real beef with Rambis that we know of.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/9/2017  11:25 AM
I think Rambis knows more than just triangle.
PLayers might not like him, but was he incorrect? Did he behave better last season than previously?
Was he a good top assistant? Does Jeff like him? Was Rambis part of the problem for KP?
We can guess but really until written with some validity we can only guess.

As for Gaines, Im thinking this guy might be even happier to just be left out of the Westchester thing and just do his scouting. He has not held any front office jobs outside the Bulls and knicks. Big time in between.
He has a contract and for now he'll do a job but longer term? Who knows. Maybe Phil consults somewhere. Maybe he can get with Steve Balmer out in LA.

Gaines is staying

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy