[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

what do people think about the negative media attention?
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/26/2004  12:49 PM
We could do this on sports in general but for the sake of topic lets stick to the USA basketball team.

Go to ESPN, CNN-SI, Yahoo, Fox.. any major news sit w/ sports coverage and you can take your pick on article outlining the shortcomings of the USA team, the players, the coaches, the NBA game, the American attitude.

Has it always been like this does this seem excessive?

I will be the first to admit I'm more sensitive to how Marbury is getting killed. People saying things like PG Marbury (if you can call him that) etc.
Do reporters want to see this team fail? Is having team USA lose a good thing because its more interesting to write about?

Its getting old to me... I hate the Nets and it bothered me to read people dogging RJ because he's struggling from the field, or why a 19 year old Melo is immature.

Im dying for this team to win and play more like they did today. I love watching Marbury succeed but there isnt a player on this team that I dont like. This is USA basketball and these are our boys. I want these guys to kick some serious tail just to watch Chad or whoever else eat some shoe regarding their hourly "whats wrong w/ USA basketball" article.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
8/26/2004  12:56 PM
Great article by Jason Whitlock on ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/040826
#Knickstaps
fishmike
USA
8/26/2004  1:21 PM
GREAT ARTICLE

He really hit it, thank god somebody does.

"Allen Iverson is wearing our jersey -- our red, white and blue -- and playing the game the way we taught him to play it."

Thats the main thing to me... we are playing internation rules against international players against teams with NBA and internation stars that have been playing together for extended periods of time.

Also, last I checked we just knocked off an undefeated team and are 2 wins away from bringing home the gold.

Go get em boys.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/26/2004  1:32 PM
I'll be proud of this team if they win the gold, but I think it would be a mistake to conclude that in 2008 we can send a bunch of athletic slashers with none of our top shooters being on the team and still win the gold. There are lessons to learn from this summer, even if we win the gold.
Andrew
Member: #1
USA
8/26/2004  1:38 PM
I for one think the selection commity should be getting more criticism and the players less.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
fishmike
USA
8/26/2004  1:54 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I'll be proud of this team if they win the gold, but I think it would be a mistake to conclude that in 2008 we can send a bunch of athletic slashers with none of our top shooters being on the team and still win the gold. There are lessons to learn from this summer, even if we win the gold.
I think the thing is that we arent a bunch of athletic slashers. I think its an insult to most of these guys. One of the reasons I not only want to see us win but win big is I'm tired of hearing how (Duncan's been exempt) Marbury, Iverson, Wade, RJ.. the whole lot ARENT skilled.

Marbury looked pretty freakin skilled to me today when the tourney was on the line. Dribble penetration isnt a skill? Getting steals that lead to open court dunks isnt a skill?

Not only will we win but we will beat them in their own rules at their own game.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/26/2004  2:06 PM
Fishmike, you are absolutely right, in that Wade, RJ, Melo, Steph and Marion are very skilled players. And I think they are good shooters at times. Heck, RJ had a 36% 3p sht % last season, or something like that. He's still a good player. But I think a fair criticism of the team, is how sometimes, the egos and the one on one style of play, may get in the way at times. And everyone is right that this team would be much better off if they had a dead eye sharpshooter (Allen, H20, Redd, Rip, even Reggie) b/c all of those guys can shoot the mid and long range consistently.

Other than that though. This is my team, and I am rooting for them all.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
knicks1248
Member: #582
8/26/2004  2:08 PM
Dude, half of what he say's is right, but the same amount of rules, and time to prepare was giving to the 92, and 96 teams.

The NBA is not as great as it use to be, and surely not as talanted.
The style of play is different, and the attitude is far more laid back.

Most people feel the USA team should be light years ahead of it's international competitors, and just like in businss, you don't wait for the competitors to catch up to you before you step your game up.

I'm not trashing our team, but I do have issue's with the way there recruiting player's and the players there recruiting. The league is getting younger, dumber, and richer by the year.

Just look at dampier ( a role player) who will now make over 10 mill a year.
ES
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
8/26/2004  2:12 PM
Posted by knicks1248:

Dude, half of what he say's is right, but the same amount of rules, and time to prepare was giving to the 92, and 96 teams.

The NBA is not as great as it use to be
No! People keep making the mistake of concluding that if the US team is not as dominant, then the NBA isn't as dominant. The NBA is still by a landslide the best league in the world. It's why the best players from all over the world dream of getting to the NBA. The best players in the US like Duncan, Garnett, etc. would never dream of getting to a European league. You can't equate the USA with the NBA.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/26/2004  2:36 PM
I for one find a little (or a lot) of racism in the coverage on this team. To me, racism has always dogged Iverson's career. He's always been the post-boy for what's "wrong" with the NBA. I'm kind of sick of it at this point. Marbury isn't a "pure" point guard? What? Does "pure" mean white like Stockton? I don't know, it pisses me off.

I'm absolutely rooting for this team to shut up Chad Ford and Sports Guy and most of the rest of the media in this country.

¿ △ ?
toodarkmark
Member: #515
USA
8/26/2004  2:36 PM
I think the media is always more than happy to jump on the negative than the positive. That's why all the negative stories lead News shows and the nice fluff is at the end. I think it's also a reflection on how great the 92 team was. It was so magical, and alot of people unconsciously resent every team afterwards.

With that said, alot of the media doesn't like thug ball. People who usually report sports lean towards conservatism, which is maintaining a fictional view of how the world is. Iverson, Starbury, and Anthony are an attack on how they feel sports SHOULD be, so they attack it.

I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/26/2004  2:52 PM
Personally Im a huge fan of thug ball. And gangsta rap.
Stockton may be a weenie but he could ball it up with the best of them.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
8/26/2004  3:13 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

I for one find a little (or a lot) of racism in the coverage on this team. To me, racism has always dogged Iverson's career. He's always been the post-boy for what's "wrong" with the NBA. I'm kind of sick of it at this point. Marbury isn't a "pure" point guard? What? Does "pure" mean white like Stockton? I don't know, it pisses me off.

I'm absolutely rooting for this team to shut up Chad Ford and Sports Guy and most of the rest of the media in this country.

Nah man, I dont see that as a balck vs white issue - I see it as a media problem - they stress the negative on everything these days. Look at our politicians...Bush could announce there will be free healthcare for everyone and that the government will give jobs to the unemployed so everyone has a job and the media would be too busy reporting about who was in vietnam and who wasnt.

Thats an exaggeration but you get my point. I for one am proud that Allen Iverson is wearing our colors - he is a great basketball player and who cares what his style is? Thats the NBA - I dont think he is one of the spoiled ones on that team, he has grown up a lot since he got in the league and you can tell both he and Marbury want that Gold (along with most of the team). Today was an awesome game, and the media will be all over it praising the US but they will quickly get back to gloom and doom...all the way through the gold medal ceramony.

"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
simrud
Member: #474
USA
8/26/2004  4:50 PM
I don't think most of the criticism has anything to do with racism. If there white players on the team and they were playing the same way, they'd get the same reaction. It’s the fact that a team of some of the best NBA players got blown out by Puerto Rico. That's just unacceptable and should never happen. NBA is still by far the best league with the best teams and players. That is exactly why it is so frustrating to see them struggle against far inferior competition. As for the sentiment that the players are overpaid, just look at what CEO's are getting, for basically nothing. That's just the way things are right now. And anybody who says Marbury is not a real PG is a retard.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/26/2004  5:51 PM
Posted by fishmike:

We could do this on sports in general but for the sake of topic lets stick to the USA basketball team.

Go to ESPN, CNN-SI, Yahoo, Fox.. any major news sit w/ sports coverage and you can take your pick on article outlining the shortcomings of the USA team, the players, the coaches, the NBA game, the American attitude.

Has it always been like this does this seem excessive?

because we're talking about highly paid professional athletes here, i think the US hoops team gets alot of flack due to the high expectations...if you look at NBC's coverage of every other sport in these Olympics, especially Al "Homer" Trautwig & his ridiculous comments regarding the Gymnastics/Paul Hamm fiasco, they are clearly biased in SUPPORT of the US athletes.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/27/2004  5:29 AM
great article.

I would like to see them win, though a loss may have a better impact on how the game is played in the US.
I know i could get a lot of bashing for that, but I do find the nb games sometimes boring. Too many meaningless games, too many travelings, isolations... all those things that have already been quoted everywhere.

the game we saw yesterday was exactly what basketball is about. team play, offense and defense, and sometimes, one guy (glad that it was stephon) rises and carry his team.

IMO this is what we should see all the time.

what do people think about the negative media attention?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy